Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Will End Up
Dec 18, 2018 11:24 AM CST
GOP's McSally Will End Up in Senate After All
She is appointed to fill John McCain's seat until a special election in 2020
- Arizona's governor has named Rep. Martha McSally to replace Jon Kyl in the Senate seat that once belonged to John McCain, the AP reports. Republican Gov. Doug Ducey announced Tuesday that McSally will take over for Kyl, who was appointed after McCain's death from brain cancer in August...
She Lost Race
for Senate. Now,
Dec 14, 2018 11:00 AM CST
She Lost Race for Senate. Now, New Door May Open
Arizona governor has to pick a senator, and Rep. Martha McSally is a top contender
- Rising GOP star Martha McSally lost a close race for the Senate in November, but the Arizona congresswoman may end up joining the new crop of senators anyway. McSally is considered a top contender to be appointed to a suddenly vacant Senate seat in her home state, reports the Hill...
Will Trump Speak at Funeral?
He Has Friction With Bushes
Dec 1, 2018 7:30 AM CST
Will Trump Speak at Funeral? He Has Friction With Bushes
But the president had kind words for George HW Bush on Saturday
- President Trump had kind words for George HW Bush on Saturday after the former president's death , both in a formal statement and a more personal tweet . But as
reports, Trump has a history of friction with the Bush family, with the elder Bush himself referring to Trump...
Could Still Get
a Senate Seat
Nov 14, 2018 6:33 AM CST
Defeated Republican Could Still Get a Senate Seat
Supporters want Martha McSally appointed to John McCain's old seat
- After it became clear that Democrat Kyrsten Sinema had an insurmountable lead in the Arizona Senate race, Republican Martha McSally delivered a gracious concession speech —so gracious that she might end up in the Senate after all. Arizona's other Senate seat is currently held by Republican Sen. Jon...
John McCain's Replacement
Is No Stranger to the Senate
Sep 4, 2018 11:58 AM CDT
John McCain's Replacement Is No Stranger to the Senate
Jon Kyl was once the No. 2 GOP senator
- The person who will fill John McCain's Senate seat is a man who has occupied such a chair before. The
reports former Sen. Jon Kyl will be named as McCain's successor on Tuesday; the AP received confirmation from Cindy McCain. Kyl and McCain served as fellow...
Senator Praises Meghan
McCain Following Funeral
SUNDAY TALK SHOWS
Sep 2, 2018 3:15 PM CDT
Senator Praises Meghan McCain Following Funeral
The South Carolina Republican praised his friend's child
- On CNN's
State of the Union
, Sen. Lindsey Graham praised Meghan McCain as "her father's daughter" following her headline-grabbing eulogy to her dad that many said appeared to bash President Trump. Former Secretary of State John Kerry appeared on
Face The Nation
and bashed the country's...
Why John McCain Chose
His Final Resting Place
Sep 2, 2018 1:45 PM CDT
Why John McCain Chose His Final Resting Place
The Maverick was to be laid to rest at the US Naval Academy
- John McCain was laid to rest Sunday at the cemetery at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., a choice the AP called "as deliberate as the other details of his procession ." Instead of spending eternity in Arlington Cemetery where his admiral father and grandfather are buried, the...
Trump Has a Response
for Meghan McCain's Swipe
Sep 2, 2018 5:47 AM CDT
Trump Has a Response for Meghan McCain's Swipe
'MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN,' he tweets from golf course
- John McCain appears to have handed his feud with President Trump down to the next generation, reports
USA Today ,
and the latter took to Twitter to apparently respond to Meghan McCain's swipe at his campaign slogan while eulogizing her father on Saturday. "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN," he...
Takes Swing at Trump
Sep 1, 2018 12:18 PM CDT
In Eulogy, Meghan McCain Takes Swing at Trump
She references 'Make America Great Again'
- Meghan McCain paid tribute to her late father Saturday morning at the Washington National Cathedral, and though she didn't mention President Trump by name, her perceived rebuke of him in her eulogy is garnering notice.
and Reuters have her lines:
"We gather here to mourn the passing
John McCain Receives
His Rare Honor
Aug 31, 2018 1:28 PM CDT
John McCain Receives His Rare Honor
His casket is now lying in state in the Capitol
- Much of Washington, DC, came to a halt on Friday to honor the late John McCain, whose casket is now lying in state in the US Capitol. Among those to speak was Vice President Mike Pence, who stood in for President Trump. “The president asked me to be here...
Doctored Image Angers
Meghan McCain's Husband
Aug 31, 2018 11:16 AM CDT
Doctored Image Angers Meghan McCain's Husband
It shows gun aimed at her, and he wants to know why Twitter allowed it
- Meghan McCain was understandably emotional as she bid adieu to her father at the Arizona Capitol on Wednesday. Her husband is emotional for a very different reason. While the
reports that photos of McCain weeping over her father's casket prompted messages of love and support across Twitter—...
Trump: I Can't Be Impeached,
I'm Doing a Great Job
Aug 31, 2018 7:01 AM CDT
Trump: I Can't Be Impeached, I'm Doing a Great Job
He says Sessions will be safe until the midterms
- President Trump gave Bloomberg an interview Thursday that was a doozy even by Trumpian standards. Among other things, he insisted he couldn't be impeached because he is "doing a great job," defended his controversial handling of John McCain's death—and threatened to pull the United States...
Did Biden Make Veiled Trump
Reference in McCain Eulogy?
Aug 30, 2018 4:46 PM CDT
Did Biden Make Veiled Trump Reference in McCain Eulogy?
McCain's second day of services is at a close
- Sen. John McCain was eulogized Thursday as a "true American hero"—and a terrible driver with a wicked sense of humor and love of a good battle—at a crowded church service for the maverick politician that ended with the playing of Frank Sinatra's "My Way....
10 Years After Being Picked
by McCain, No Invite for Palin
Aug 30, 2018 6:48 AM CDT
10 Years After Being Picked by McCain, No Invite for Palin
According to a 'People' report
- Article after article has made mention of the fact that Sen. John McCain's wishes were that President Trump not be invited to his funeral. Sarah Palin apparently didn't make the cut, either.
reports the Palin news by way of several unnamed sources and quotes family friend Carla...
Sob at First Service
Aug 29, 2018 3:01 PM CDT
McCain's Children Sob at First Service
As dozens line up to honor the late senator
- Cindy McCain pressed her face against the flag-draped casket of her husband, US Sen. John McCain, on Wednesday and several of his children sobbed during the first of two services for the statesman and former prisoner of war before he is taken for the last time from the state he...
With Choice of
Thumbs Nose at
Aug 29, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
With Choice of Pallbearer, McCain Thumbs Nose at Trump, Putin
McCain personally asked Russian dissident Vladimir Kara-Murza
- John McCain's talent for forging connections across the aisle and across the world will be on full display Saturday. Per the
, Joe Biden, Michael Bloomberg, actor Warren Beatty, former Defense Secretary William Cohen, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, and FedEx president Fred Smith will be among those to carry McCain'...
White House Flag Changes
Positions for a 3rd Time
Aug 28, 2018 3:03 AM CDT
White House Flag Changes Positions for a 3rd Time
After being lowered then raised, it's lowered once more
- The White House flag had a more tumultuous start to the week than typical, having been lowered to half-staff on Saturday in the wake of Sen. John McCain's death, then raised back up on Monday in keeping with the US flag code but to an outcry from the media...
Arizona Candidate Apologizes
After McCain Comments
Aug 27, 2018 6:45 PM CDT
Arizona Candidate Apologizes After McCain Comments
Kelli Ward has been accused of insensitivity
- An Arizona candidate for US Senate who came under fire after suggesting that John McCain's announcement he'd be withdrawing from cancer treatment was timed to damage her campaign has apologized. "I do understand how many could have misconstrued my comments as insensitive, and for this I apologize,...
Drug Invented for Dogs Could
Help Human Cancer Sufferers
Aug 27, 2018 5:45 PM CDT
Drug Invented for Dogs Could Help Human Cancer Sufferers
The experimental treatment is for glioblastoma, which claimed John McCain's life
- An experimental canine cancer drug is so promising that researchers are hoping it could one day help human patients suffering from the same aggressive brain malignancy that claimed US Sen. John McCain's life this past week. The drug is for glioblastoma, a fast-growing cancer for which doctors have few...
4 Lines From John McCain's
Farewell Letter to America
Aug 27, 2018 2:17 PM CDT
4 Lines From John McCain's Farewell Letter to America
'I am the luckiest person on earth'
- Before he died, John McCain wrote a farewell letter to Americans in which he expressed thanks for the privilege of serving and said the nation's "present difficulties" would pass. See the full text at the
. Here are four excerpts:
"I've tried to serve our country
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
After a Drowning, Amusement Park Ride Closes for Good
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Harry Styles' Grammys Speech Caused Mass Bewilderment
Days After 'Dead' Woman Was Found Alive, a New Incident
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.