Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Kept a Murder Tally,
Became Victim No. 56
Nov 24, 2023 8:40 AM CST
He Kept a Murder Tally, Became Victim No. 56
Mexican activist Adolfo Enríquez was killed in Leon on Tuesday
- An activist who documented murders in one of Mexico's deadliest cities has himself been killed, authorities confirmed Wednesday. Adolfo Enríquez was killed in the city of Leon, in north-central Guanajuato state. The city has the third-highest number of homicides in Mexico, trailing only the border cities of Tijuana...
As Storm Raged
Through Acapulco, One
Man's Last Message
Nov 14, 2023 1:14 PM CST
As Storm Raged Through Acapulco, One Man's Last Message
'It's really horrible,' sailor Ruben Torres recorded himself saying as Hurricane Otis struck Mexico
- During the first minutes of Oct. 25, when Hurricane Otis roared into Acapulco Bay with 165mph winds, sailor Ruben Torres recorded a 10-second audio message from a yacht called the Sereno. "All things considered, I'm all right, but it's really horrible, it's really horrible, it's...
Apple Co-Founder Says
He Had a Minor Stroke
Nov 9, 2023 3:33 PM CST
Apple Co-Founder Says He Had a Minor Stroke
Steve Wozniak was to give a speech in Mexico City
This file has been updated with an interview of Wozniak
Steve Wozniak has revealed the reason he was briefly hospitalized in Mexico City: "a minor but real stroke." The Apple co-founder, 73, was scheduled to speak at the World Business Forum on Wednesday afternoon. But Wozniak tells ABC...
Ex-CIA Officer Guilty of
Abusing Dozens of Women
Nov 7, 2023 7:14 PM CST
Ex-CIA Officer Guilty of Abusing Dozens of Women
'Experienced predator' Brian Jeffrey Raymond faces up to 30 years in prison under plea deal
- A former CIA officer accused of drugging and sexually assaulting at least two dozen women during various overseas postings pleaded guilty Tuesday to federal sex abuse charges. Brian Jeffrey Raymond kept nearly 500 videos and photographs he took of naked, unconscious women, including many in which he can be seen...
Left at Least 27 Dead
Oct 26, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Acapulco Hurricane Left at Least 27 Dead
Category 5 storm intensified rapidly and devastated Acapulco
- The first casualty numbers are in for Hurricane Otis, which slammed Mexico's Pacific coast on Wednesday. At least 27 people were killed and another four are missing, reports the AP . One factor under review: why forecasters weren't able to predict the hurricane would intensify as quickly as it...
Category 5 Hurricane
Slams Southern Mexico
Oct 25, 2023 6:40 AM CDT
Category 5 Hurricane Slams Southern Mexico
Hurricane Otis, now a category 4, to drop up to 15 inches of rain in areas
- Hurricane Otis slammed into Mexico's southern Pacific coast as a catastrophic Category 5 hurricane early Wednesday, bringing dangerous winds and heavy rain to Acapulco and surrounding towns, stirring memories of a deadly storm in 1997. Now a Category 4 storm, the hurricane was expected to continue to weaken quickly...
Report: Sinaloa Cartel Now
Killing Fentanyl Producers
Oct 18, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Report: Sinaloa Cartel Now Killing Fentanyl Producers
Cartel appears to be enforcing ban on the drug, though authorities still have doubts
- When banners went up announcing that the Sinaloa drug cartel had given up the sale and production of fentanyl , authorities were understandably wary. But members of the cartel, the leading exporter of fentanyl to the US, say cartel leaders are serious—deadly serious. A "midlevel Sinaloa cartel operative" who...
Lidia Strengthens to
Category 4 Off Mexico Coast
Oct 10, 2023 6:20 PM CDT
Lidia Strengthens to Category 4 Off Mexico Coast
Hurricane could continue to strengthen before making landfall near Puerto Vallarta
- Lidia became an "extremely dangerous" Category 4 hurricane Tuesday with winds of 140 mph as it took aim at Mexico's Pacific coast resort of Puerto Vallarta. The US National Hurricane Center said Tuesday that Lidia could continue to strengthen just hours before making landfall. The hurricane was expected to make...
North American Charging
Stations to Get More Cohesive
Oct 5, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
North American Charging Stations to Get More Cohesive
Hyundai and Kia are outfitting their electric vehicles to be compatible with Tesla's ports
- Hyundai and Kia say they're adopting North American Charging Standard ports for their electric vehicles in the US and Canada, which will give the vehicles access to thousands of Tesla Superchargers across the two countries and Mexico, reports the AP . Tesla's Superchargers are coveted by other automakers because...
'Acute' Need at Border
Spurs a Big Biden Reversal
Oct 5, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
'Acute' Need at Border Spurs a Big Biden Reversal
Administration waives 26 federal laws to clear way for new wall construction in Texas
- Three years ago, Joe Biden vowed that, if elected, he'd never erect a single new section of border wall between the United States and Mexico. Now, President Biden has rethought that, due to an "acute" need to keep illegal immigration at bay. The AP reports the commander in...
When a Bear Came,
Mom Knew What to Do
Sep 27, 2023 11:10 AM CDT
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
A Mexican woman is being hailed for calmly and bravely shielding her son's face
- A Mexican mother bravely shielded her son after a bear leapt on a picnic table and devoured the tacos and enchiladas meant for the boy's birthday dinner, inches from his face. Silvia Macías of Mexico City had traveled to the Chipinque Park on the outskirts of the northern...
in case you missed it
Sep 17, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
This Breakout Singer Has a Problem: Drug Cartels
Mexico's Peso Pluma is getting death threats from one drug gang after he celebrated another in song
- The name Peso Pluma isn't exactly a household one in the US, but the 24-year-old Mexican singer has fast been making a name for himself in the music industry. Among other things, he just performed at the MTV awards show , he is one of the most-listened-to artists on Spotify...
Report: 11K Cheated in
Mexico City Marathon
Sep 7, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Report: 11K Cheated in Mexico City Marathon
Some of them reportedly took public transport to the finish line
- This year's Mexico City Marathon was a carnival of cheating, with more than a third of the 30,000 runners disqualified, according to Spanish sports newspaper
. According to Marca, tracking data showed that 11,000 runners didn't pass checkpoints set up every 3.1 miles along the...
Sep 7, 2023 6:24 AM CDT
Mexico's Next President Will Likely Make History
2 female candidates are set to face off in 2024 election, giving nation its first woman president
- Two women will face off to become president of Mexico, "all but guaranteeing that the country's next leader will be the first woman to hold the office," the Hill reports. Mexico's ruling party announced Wednesday that it has chosen former Mexico City Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum as...
Mexico's Top Court
Sep 6, 2023 4:42 PM CDT
Mexico's Top Court Decriminalizes Abortion Nationwide
Crime will be removed from country's penal code
- Mexico's Supreme Court decriminalized abortion nationwide Wednesday, two years after ruling that abortion was not a crime in one northern state. That earlier ruling had set off a grinding process of decriminalizing abortion state by state. Last week, the central state of Aguascalientes became the 12th of Mexico's...
Joy During Gender Reveal
Turns Into 'Screams of Distress'
Sep 5, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Joy During Gender Reveal Turns Into 'Screams of Distress'
Pilot crashes plane, dies in Mexico following reveal; creator of gender reveal parties shares her regret
- In a viral video , a plane emitting pink smoke flies low over a couple, announcing they're expecting a baby girl. But as the couple embraces in celebration, disaster strikes. The camera pans away from the couple to the plane, which angles upward, then begins twisting in the air as...
He Pursued Mexico's Missing.
Then 'They Disappeared Him'
Sep 3, 2023 5:31 AM CDT
He Pursued Mexico's Missing. Then 'They Disappeared Him'
Criminologist Juan Carlos Tercero was to join state commission when he vanished, per the 'Guardian'
- Physical anthropologist and criminologist Juan Carlos Tercero is an expert in investigating the murders of victims who've been concealed underwater. He traveled his native Mexico giving talks on the recovery of human remains. Then, just as he was set to join Nayarit state's commission for locating missing people,...
Pair Accused of Trafficking Sea
Cucumbers Could Get 25 Years
Sep 2, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Pair Accused of Trafficking Sea Cucumbers Could Get 25 Years
Zunyu Zhao, Xionwei Xiao plead guilty to illegal importation of endangered species worth $10K
- Wildlife traffickers pleaded guilty this week in federal court in California to illegally importing endangered sea cucumbers—which are prized in China for food and medicine and as a reputed aphrodisiac—from Mexico. Zunyu Zhao and Xionwei Xiao were charged with conspiracy and illegal importation of brown sea cucumbers worth...
Texas National Guardsman
Shoots Man Across Border
Aug 29, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Texas National Guardsman Shoots Man Across Border
Wounded man across the Rio Grande is Mexican, and incident is under investigation
- An unusual shooting involving a soldier with the Texas National Guard is under investigation. The Guardsman fired across the Rio Grande and wounded a Mexican man Saturday evening, reports the
Dallas Morning News
. The man identified as Darwin Jose Garcia, 37, was hit in the leg and is recuperating, per...
Me, My Kids
Robbed at Home
Aug 22, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Spanish Singer: Me, My Kids Were Bound, Robbed at Home
Miguel Bosé says his Mexico City home was ransacked; staff was also tied up
- Spanish pop star Miguel Bosé said Monday that 10 armed assailants burst into his house in Mexico City and tied him up, along with his two children and household staff, for more than two hours while they ransacked the premises, the AP reports. Bosé wrote on his Instagram account that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.