Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Archbishop Takes Issue With
Key Word in 'Our Father' Prayer
in case you missed it
Jul 15, 2023 12:25 PM CDT
Archbishop Takes Issue With Key Word in 'Our Father' Prayer
Stephen Cottrell told Church of England's General Synod the word has 'patriarchal' leanings
- Christians worldwide who've committed the "Our Father" prayer to memory for 2,000 years would likely be thrown if the opening words—also the prayer's title—were suddenly altered. That tweak doesn't seem to be imminent, but eyebrows are raised after one of the Church of...
Dodgers Do 180 on Pride Night
After 2nd Round of Backlash
May 23, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Dodgers Do 180 on Pride Night After 2nd Round of Backlash
MLB team uninvited LGBTQ+ charity group after conservative complaints, then reinvited them
- It didn't seem out of the ordinary that the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence , an LGBTQ+ charity and satirical performance drag group in which participants dress as nuns, had been invited to the Los Angeles Dodgers' 10th annual Pride Night next month. The group was set to receive a "...
Christian College Becomes
Ground Zero for Viral 'Revival'
Feb 19, 2023 6:05 AM CST
Christian College Becomes Ground Zero for Viral 'Revival'
Thousands flock to Kentucky's Asbury U in TikTok-driven prayer event that's lasted more than a week
- Early on Feb. 8, a routine chapel service took place at Kentucky's Asbury University, a small Christian college in Wilmore. "I would call it unremarkable," the school's president, Dr. Kevin Brown, tells NBC New s of the gathering in the 1,500-seat Hughes Auditorium. What's...
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 24, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Christians, Not-So-Great News Coming
Pew finds Christianity on track to no longer be America's majority religion within decades
- Christianity is currently the majority religion in the United States, but it's not on track to stay that way. CBS News reports on a new study by Pew Research Center and the General Social Survey that examines various scenarios of religious "switching" over the next few decades, and...
India Cracks Down on
Mother Teresa's Charity
Dec 28, 2021 7:56 AM CST
India Cracks Down on Mother Teresa's Charity
Amid rising anti-Christian sentiment, India bars Missionaries of Charity from foreign funding
- On Christmas Day in India came a move that some say is the result of rising anti-Christian sentiment. On Saturday, the Hindu-majority nation refused to renew the license that allowed for funding from abroad for Missionaries of Charity, the group founded by Mother Teresa that runs nun-managed shelters and other...
Haiti Gang Kidnaps 17 US
Missionaries, Including Kids
Oct 17, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Haiti Gang Kidnaps 17 US Missionaries, Including Kids
The Christian group was on a bus headed to the airport
- A group of up to 17 US missionaries from a Christian group was kidnapped by a gang in Haiti while en route to the airport in Port-au-Prince. Per the
New York Times
, Haiti officials confirmed the kidnapping, with few details, after Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries sent a voice message about...
Christian Group: 'Trump
Has Used Christianity'
Oct 17, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Christian Group: 'Trump Has Used Christianity'
'Not Our Faith' rolls out 6-figure TV and digital ad campaign
- A group of prominent Christians from both sides of the aisle, including a past faith adviser to former President Barack Obama, is forming a political action committee designed to chip away at Christian support for President Trump in the final weeks of the 2020 campaign, the AP reports. Dubbed Not...
Jubilation, Dismay at Status
Change of Turkish Landmark
Jul 10, 2020 11:42 AM CDT
Jubilation, Dismay at Status Change of Turkish Landmark
Muslims thrilled Hagia Sophia to be reconverted to a mosque; Orthodox Christians, not so much
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday reconverted Istanbul’s sixth-century Hagia Sophia into a mosque and declared it open to Muslim worship, hours after a court annulled a 1934 decision that had turned it into a museum. The decision to reconvert Hagia Sophia—a former cathedral that was turned...
Christian Rocker Says He
No Longer Believes in God
May 27, 2020 2:40 PM CDT
Christian Rocker Says He No Longer Believes in God
Hawk Nelson frontman says he was shocked to find how many others feel the same way
- The lead singer of award-winning Christian band Hawk Nelson says he's decided to tell the truth: He no longer believes in God, and has had doubts for many years. In a lengthy Instagram post , Jonathan Steingard says he has been "terrified" about making the announcement, but it feels...
Happening in ...
Apr 10, 2020 10:41 AM CDT
Easter Weekend Celebrations Happening in ... VW Buses?
Drive-in cinemas, livestreamed services are some workarounds during global virus lockdowns
- Christians around the world observed a Good Friday like no other, at home watching livestreams instead of at church, as pressure mounted on governments to fend off further economic devastation from the coronavirus. Worldwide, the death toll closed in on 100,000 , with the confirmed number of infected topping 1....
Cross in Jagermeister
Logo Comes Under Fire
Feb 20, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Cross in Jagermeister Logo Comes Under Fire
Swiss court dismisses claim that it's an affront to Christians
- Jägermeister has emerged the victor in a Swiss court case in which its logo was painted as an insult to Christians. The logo, featuring a cross hovering over the head of a stag, is based on the legend of the 8th-century Christian saint Hubertus, an avid hunter, who is...
15 Dead at Center
Where Kids Were
'Living Like Animals'
Feb 15, 2020 9:45 AM CST
15 Dead at Center Where Kids Were 'Living Like Animals'
Deadly fire took place at Haitian children's center run by controversial Pennsylvania-based group
- A blaze that tore through a Haitian children's home on the outskirts of Port-au-Prince killed 15 children, putting the Pennsylvania-based Christian nonprofit that runs it once more under the microscope. Rose-Marie Louis, a worker at the Orphanage of the Church of Bible Understanding, tells the AP the fire started...
Netflix Ordered to Pull
Film About Gay Jesus
Jan 9, 2020 9:55 AM CST
Netflix Ordered to Pull Film About Gay Jesus
Brazilian judge says 'freedom of expression ... is not absolute'
- A Brazilian judge has ordered Netflix to remove a film depicting Jesus Christ with a boyfriend.
The First Temptation of Christ
, released as a Christmas special, caused such fury among Brazil's conservative Christians that 2 million signed a petition calling for its removal, while a group lobbed firebombs at...
United Methodists Agree
to Historic Split
Jan 3, 2020 1:16 PM CST
United Methodists Agree to Historic Split
Those who oppose gay marriage will form their own denomination
- The United Methodist Church looks poised to allow same-sex marriage and LGBT clergy for the first time in its history—but it'll come at a cost. The nation's third-largest denomination will fracture as a result, as soon as May, reports the
. An agreement announced Friday—signed...
AP Has Big Issues With
Church Sex-Offender List
Dec 28, 2019 4:30 PM CST
AP Has Big Issues With Church Sex-Offender List
Over 900 accused clergy members are missing
- Richard J. Poster served time for possessing child pornography, violated his probation by having contact with children, admitted masturbating near a church school, and in 2005 was put on a sex offender registry. And yet the former Catholic priest was only just this month added to a list of clergy...
In Bethlehem, No Room
at the Inns, Again
Dec 24, 2019 8:16 AM CST
In Bethlehem, No Room at the Inns, Again
As Christmas descends, pilgrims crowd West Bank town where they believe Jesus Christ was born
- "All hotels in the city are full today," says Palestinian Tourism Minister Rula Maaya as thousands of Christian pilgrims descended on the West Bank town of Bethlehem, the traditional birthplace of Jesus, ahead of Tuesday's annual Christmas Eve celebrations. The Church of the Nativity, where Christians believe...
2019 Was a Bad Year
for One Kind of Killing
Dec 14, 2019 11:30 AM CST
2019 Was a Bad Year for One Kind of Killing
From Burkina Faso to California, houses of worship came under deadly fire
- On Dec. 1, a band of assailants opened fire on worshippers at a small-town Protestant church in Burkina Faso, an impoverished West African country where the Christian minority is increasingly a target of attacks. The victims included the pastor and several teenage boys; regional authorities attributed the attack to “...
Draws Fire After
Sep 6, 2019 11:49 AM CDT
Drew Brees Draws Fire After Controversial Video
New Orleans Saints QB pushes back after appearing in clip from anti-LGBT Christian group
- "For we live by faith, not by sight" is one of Drew Brees' favorite biblical quotes, he tells fans in a 20-second video spot aimed at students for "Bring Your Bible to School Day" on Oct. 3. It was a short clip meant to inspire, but instead it'...
Venue Refused Interracial
Wedding. Then the Owner
Checked Her Bible
Sep 4, 2019 8:42 AM CDT
Venue Refused Interracial Wedding. Then the Owner Checked Her Bible
Mississippi event hall cited Christian beliefs before admitting error
- A Mississippi wedding venue has done an about-face after refusing to rent to an interracial couple. "We don't do gay weddings or mixed race," a woman at Booneville's Boone's Camp Event Hall says, citing her Christian beliefs, in a video captured Saturday by the groom'...
Aug 17, 2019 2:45 PM CDT
Warren Tells Black Christians Her Favorite Biblical Passage
The Democrats frame their bids in faith-based terms
- Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren framed their Democratic presidential bids in personal, faith-based terms Saturday before black millennial Christians in Georgia who could help determine which candidate becomes the leading progressive alternative to Joe Biden, the AP reports. Sanders, the Vermont senator whose struggles with black voters helped cost him...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Woman Gets Prison for Giving Abortion Pills to Her Daughter
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.