Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Book Gets Banned,
in case you missed it
Nov 12, 2023 7:00 AM CST
Steve Martin's Book Gets Banned, He Celebrates
'Shopgirl' among more than 300 titles removed from schools in Collier County, Florida
- A Florida school district has banned one of Steve Martin's books—and he's "so proud." The actor and writer took to his social media accounts on Monday to celebrate the banning of his bestselling novella
by the Collier County School District. "So proud to...
Maine's Most Famous
Resident Is Incensed
Oct 26, 2023 2:49 PM CDT
Maine's Most Famous Resident Is Incensed
Stephen King says the 'madness' of mass shootings must be stopped
- The mass shootings in Maine struck close to home, literally, for Stephen King, who posted an angry response on Thursday:
"The shootings occurred less than 50 miles from where I live," tweeted the author on X. "I went to high school in Lisbon. It's the rapid-fire
She Was Disappointed by
Turnout at Her Book Signing.
'Join the Club,' Authors Said
Dec 8, 2022 8:12 AM CST
She Was Disappointed by Turnout at Her Book Signing. 'Join the Club,' Authors Said
Margaret Atwood, Stephen King were among many who shared their experiences
- After the first official book signing for her debut novel was a bust, fantasy author Chelsea Banning shared her disappointment on Twitter—and was surprised when numerous best-selling writers, including Steven King and Margaret Atwood said, "Welcome to the club." The Saturday event at a bookstore in Ashtabula,...
and Elon Musk
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 5, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Stephen King Complains, and Elon Musk Responds
Twitter chief floats idea of $8 monthly subscription for verified users
- When word emerged Monday that Elon Musk might impose a $20 monthly subscription for verified Twitter users, none other than Stephen King complained. "They should pay me," the horror master tweeted . "If that gets instituted, I'm gone." Musk himself responded on Tuesday and floated the...
Nov 3, 2022 12:14 PM CDT
Stephen King: Elon Musk Is Like Tom Sawyer
It's not exactly a compliment in this context
- One of the more unexpected results of Elon Musk's takeover of Twitter is the exchange unfolding between him and Stephen King over the platform's proposed changes. It began when King publicly balked at rumors of a $20 monthly fee for verified users, and Musk responded by dropping that...
Stephen King Testifies
for Justice Department
Aug 2, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Stephen King Testifies for Justice Department
He was star witness in publishing antitrust trial
- Bestselling author Stephen King stepped up to the witness stand Tuesday in a federal antitrust trial . Tracing his own history, he laid out a portrait of a publishing industry that has become increasingly concentrated over the years while richly rewarding his creative endeavors, the AP reports. "My name is...
These 2 Gigs Will Pay You
Big Bucks to Get Scared
Sep 10, 2021 10:11 AM CDT
These 2 Gigs Will Pay You Big Bucks to Get Scared
Watch 13 horror movies, pocket $1,300 (if you're selected)
- Done with the beach and ready for fall? A financial advice website is offering a an easy way to transition into the Halloween season, with big bucks for one lucky fan who can hunker down and watch 13 horror flicks in nine days' time, reports UPI . FinanceBuzz will pay $1,...
The JK Rowling Controversy
Now Involves Stephen King
Jun 30, 2020 3:19 AM CDT
The JK Rowling Controversy Now Involves Stephen King
'Harry Potter' author deletes her own tweet praising horror writer in a 'snit'
- No, JK Rowling has not backed down on her controversial stance on trans rights , and now she's involving Stephen King in headlines related to the brouhaha. As the AV Club explains, it started when a male British politician accused Rowling of using her own domestic abuse to justify discrimination...
Stephen King Posts Odd
Tweet on Paper Mill Blast
Apr 16, 2020 8:36 AM CDT
Stephen King Posts Odd Tweet on Paper Mill Blast
It was 'a TOILET paper mill,' he wrote, though some say that's not true and slammed him for his 'joke'
- A bit of horror for Stephen King: A massive explosion on Wednesday destroyed a building at a paper mill in Maine near the writer's home in Lovell. No injuries were reported in the blast at the Androscoggin Mill, but King had other concerns, Fox News reports. "A paper...
Stephen King Is Aware of
Your COVID-19 Comparisons
Apr 9, 2020 8:07 AM CDT
Stephen King Is Aware of Your COVID-19 Comparisons
'Sorry,' he says to those who feel like they're living through one of his novels
- Stephen King would like to apologize for writing fiction so realistic that you now feel as though you're living on the page. "I keep having people say, 'Gee, it's like we're living in a Stephen King story. And my only response to that is, '...
Makes Big Move
on Social Media
Feb 3, 2020 6:12 AM CST
Stephen King Makes Big Move on Social Media
Author has quit Facebook over concerns on 'false information,' privacy
- Last month, Facebook decided it wasn't going to bar or fact-check political ads during this election season, nor keep those ads from being targeted to certain groups of people. Now, partly based on that, Stephen King has made his own decision: He has left the social media site for...
Jan 27, 2020 6:00 PM CST
Stephen King Explains His Controversial Oscars Tweet
Horror author clarifies in op-ed that Academy Awards 'are still rigged in favor of white people'
- Stephen King ignited controversy earlier this month when, after the Academy Awards nominations included zero female directors and just one actor of color, he tweeted , "I would never consider diversity in matters of art. Only quality. It seems to me that to do otherwise would be wrong." After...
Watch 13 Stephen King
Movies, Collect $1,300
Sep 19, 2019 8:06 AM CDT
Watch 13 Stephen King Movies, Collect $1,300
USDish has an unusual offer for one person
- It's a publicity stunt, but those who binge on horror flicks in the lead-up to Halloween might be interested. USDish will pay one person $1,300 to watch 13 Stephen King movies by Oct. 31 and log details about the experience, reports CBS News . The company will provide a...
What Critics Are
It Chapter Two
Sep 6, 2019 11:25 AM CDT
What Critics Are Saying About
It Chapter Two
It's long, messy, and will 'totally freak you out'
- Chaos and red balloons again descend on Derry, Maine, in the closing chapter on the film adaption of Stephen King's
. Set 27 years after the conclusion of part one , Andy Muschietti's
It Chapter Two
—with a 67% rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes —returns to...
Teens Get Rights
to Stephen King
Story for $1
Oct 23, 2018 4:06 PM CDT
Teens Get Rights to Stephen King Story for $1
It's part of the horror author's 'Dollar Baby' program
- It would typically be pretty expensive to option a Stephen King story. But students at the Blaenau Gwent Film Academy in Wales, UK, just optioned one for a single dollar. Alfie Evans, 16, and Cerys Cliff, 14, are adapting "Stationary Bike," from King's collection
Just After Sunset
Anti-Collins Groups: As She
Spoke, the Cash Poured In
Oct 6, 2018 6:30 AM CDT
Anti-Collins Groups: As She Spoke, the Cash Poured In
Activists say they now have more than $3M to offer to the Maine senator's 2020 opponent
- She was deemed the Democrats' "last big hope" to derail the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh as Supreme Court justice. But as it became clear Friday during Susan Collins' 45-minute-long speech on the Senate floor that Maine's GOP senator was going to greenlight Kavanaugh, money started flowing in to...
Rare Books Lost in
Jan 19, 2018 8:33 AM CST
Original Stephen King Manuscripts, Rare Books Lost in 'Devastating Blow'
Gerald Winters says 90% of inventory destroyed at rare-books store after water main burst in Bangor
- When Gerald Winters recently decided to reorganize his rare-books store in Bangor, Maine, housing a collection mainly dedicated to Stephen King, he stashed most of his inventory in the basement. He's now suffered what the
Bangor Daily News
describes as a "devastating blow" to his business: A water...
Makes Only $7.5M,
Takes in Another $60M
Sep 17, 2017 12:45 PM CDT
Makes Only $7.5M,
Takes in Another $60M
The Stephen King adaptation has made $183M in two weeks
- The Stephen King adaption
continues to scare up record ticket sales, taking in an estimated $60 million in its second week and leaving a paltry $7.5 million for Darren Aronofsky's audacious genre-bending psychological thriller
New Line and Warner Bros.
remained easily the top draw in...
Sep 8, 2017 11:17 AM CDT
He's Back: Evil Clown of
Will Give You Shivers
Pennywise is scarier than ever. Worse, he's kind of smart
- If the 1990 miniseries based on Stephen King's
didn't convince you to stay well away from storm drains and red balloons, Andy Muschietti's latest telling of the tale just might.
—part one of two, to be released at a later date—follows a group...
by Balloon Prank
Sep 6, 2017 2:22 AM CDT
Cops 'Terrified' by Balloon Prank for Movie
Creepy clown sightings expected to rise
- Police in Lititz, Pa., give a prankster points for creativity for tying red balloons to storm grates ahead of Friday's release of the movie
—but they "respectfully request they do not do that again." "We want the local prankster to know that we were completely...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.