Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
These Are the
Best Albums of 2023
Dec 2, 2023 10:00 AM CST
These Are the Best Albums of 2023
SZA's 'SOS' is a favorite in 'NYT' critics' year-end rankings
- It's that time of year when the "best of" lists emerge, and Jon Pareles, the longtime chief pop-music critic for the
New York Times
, offers up his own for best albums of 2023. "It was a year when many of the best songs came from looking inward:...
Composer 'Nearly Fell Over' at
What He Found at Auschwitz
Nov 24, 2023 9:10 AM CST
Composer 'Nearly Fell Over' at What He Found at Auschwitz
Composer Leo Geyer has re-created incomplete scores of music played by orchestra at Nazi camp
- Music played amid the highs and very deep lows of Auschwitz will be heard again for the first time in 80 years. Leo Geyer, a composer and conductor pursuing a doctorate in music and composition at Oxford University, has re-created musical scores from sheets held in the archive of the...
Man Wanted to Open a Prince
Museum, Holds Auction Instead
Nov 14, 2023 10:30 AM CST
Man Wanted to Open a Prince Museum, Holds Auction Instead
Pieces of late singer's wardrobe, other memorabilia are up for sale after museum idea is ditched
- Fans of Prince, who was known nearly as much for his extravagant wardrobe as for his chart-topping hits, will have a chance to bid on some of the late musician's sartorial splendor in an online auction this week. The collection, including more than 200 lots up for sale, was...
Leader Isn't Taylor Swift
Nov 10, 2023 11:57 AM CST
Grammy Nominations Leader Isn't Taylor Swift
SZA leads the pack with 9 nominations
- The new Grammy nominees are out, with artist SZA leading the way at nine nominations, per the AP . "Kill Bill," her revenge anthem cloaked in an R&B ballad, earned her nods for record of the year, song of the year, and best R&B performance.
'Fast Car' Makes
Nov 9, 2023 8:31 AM CST
Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car' Makes CMA History
She becomes first Black woman to win award as 35-year-old tune snags song of the year
- Tracy Chapman just became the first Black woman to win a Country Music Association award—for a song she penned 35 years ago. "Fast Car," which was first released in 1988 but found new popularity this year through a cover by country star Luke Combs , won the first...
The Beatles' Last 'New' Song
Is Coming Out Thursday
Oct 27, 2023 9:11 AM CDT
The Beatles' Last 'New' Song Is Coming Out Thursday
'Now and Then' features all Beatles members alive and dead, thanks to AI
- Sixty years after the onset of Beatlemania and with two of the quartet now dead, artificial intelligence has enabled the release next week of what is promised to be the last "new" Beatles song . The track, called "Now And Then," will be available Thursday as part of...
for This Goldman
Oct 19, 2023 11:06 AM CDT
DJing Days for This Goldman Sachs Bigwig Are Kaput
CEO David Solomon turned off the turntables on his side hustle over a year ago, per a spokesperson
- If you've been to Lollapalooza or events in the Hamptons over the past few years, you may have been treated to the record-spinning skills of "DJ D-Sol"—the stage name of Goldman Sachs CEO David Solomon, who picked up the "unusual pastime for Wall Street" more...
10 Best Concert Films Ever
Oct 14, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
10 Best Concert Films Ever
'Summer of Soul' tops the list of the 'Guardian'
- The Taylor Swift phenomenon took a different turn this week with the release of a concert film based on her juggernaut
tour. (Just ask Beyonce .) Which prompted the
to suss out the best concert films of all time. Tops on the list is a recent entry—the...
Could These Be the Best
Soundtrack Albums Ever?
Sep 4, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Could These Be the Best Soundtrack Albums Ever?
They are for Steve Hyden, Uproxx's cultural critic
- If you've had your fill of this summer's tunes, and your other playlists are feeling kind of tired, revisiting movie soundtracks can be a fun way to keep the music going. Writing for Uproxx , cultural critic Steve Hyden has compiled his favorites in that genre. He lays out...
Unknown Singer's Song
Becomes Conservative Anthem
in case you missed it
Aug 19, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Unknown Singer's Song Becomes Conservative Anthem
Oliver Anthony's 'Rich Men North of Richmond' praised on the right in particular
- Days after the release of his first professionally recorded song, a relatively unknown country artist and aspiring off-grid farmer from Farmville, Virginia, has suddenly found himself with an audience of millions. It's the kind of success artists like Oliver Anthony only dream of. In the days before the release...
A 'Magical Art Form' Turns 50
Aug 11, 2023 9:16 AM CDT
A 'Magical Art Form' Turns 50
On Aug. 11, 1973, 18-year-old DJ Kool Herc put hip-hop music on the map
- It was born in the break, all those decades ago—that moment when a song's vocals dropped, instruments quieted down, and the beat took the stage. It was then that hip-hop came into the world, taking the moment and reinventing it. The music was something new, coming out of...
Crooner Tony Bennett
Is Dead at 96
Jul 21, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Crooner Tony Bennett Is Dead at 96
Some of his greatest success came after the age of 60
- Tony Bennett, the eminent and timeless stylist whose devotion to classic American songs and knack for creating new standards such as "I Left My Heart In San Francisco" graced a decades-long career, died Friday at 96. He was just two weeks short of his birthday. Publicist Sylvia Weiner confirmed...
Jason Aldean: Accusations
About My Song Are 'Dangerous'
Jul 19, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Jason Aldean: Accusations About My Song Are 'Dangerous'
CMT pulls music video amid backlash over song critics say encourages violence
- Country Music Television pulled a music video from country music superstar Jason Aldean on Monday after critics said it contained racist dog whistles. The lyrics of "Try That in a Small Town," a song released in May, include veiled threats against people who try to seize guns or...
Jul 15, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
US Listeners Gravitating to Non-English Music
Streaming is up, with Spanish and K-pop leading the way
- Is non-English language music the future of the music business? New stats suggest as much, per the AP . The global music industry has surpassed 1 trillion streams at the fastest pace ever in a calendar year, according to Luminate's 2023 Midyear Report . The number was reached in three months,...
Combining Math, Music Study
Boost Student Test Scores
Jul 2, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Combining Math, Music Study Boost Student Test Scores
A half century of research went into drawing this conclusion
- Jazz great Duke Ellington once said music "is as modern as tomorrow" and "endless as ... mathematics." Scientists who combed through 50 years of research might tell the Duke he was onto something. While past research had noted the connection between musical inclination and math ability, a new...
A Butthole Surfer, Symbol
of Generation X, Is Gone
Jun 23, 2023 8:17 AM CDT
A Butthole Surfer, Symbol of Generation X, Is Gone
Teresa Taylor, also of 'Slacker' fame, accepted end-stage lung disease diagnosis with grace
- Teresa Taylor, who drummed with the punk-rock band Butthole Surfers in the 1980s, has died at age 60. The band announced her death Monday, saying she "passed away peacefully this weekend after a long battle with lung disease." In her own post, Taylor's partner and caretaker, Cheryl...
'What Can I
Say?' I'm a
Jun 22, 2023 12:39 PM CDT
Fed Chair: 'What Can I Say?' I'm a Deadhead
At House hearing, Jerome Powell raves about recent Dead & Company show
- A blurry photo taken at a Dead & Company concert in Virginia earlier this month caused quite a stir on social media. Viewed 2.8 million times as of this writing, it shows a gray-haired man in a collared shirt and baseball cap among the crowd of fans watching the...
AI's Latest Trick:
A Final Beatles Song
Jun 13, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
AI's Latest Trick: A Final Beatles Song
Paul McCartney says it will be released this year
- For years, Paul McCartney has teased one final Beatles song. Now, with help from artificial intelligence, it's finally complete. "We just finished it up and it'll be released this year," McCartney told the BBC on Tuesday, adding the song began as a demo from John Lennon....
Meg White Hears the Critics.
No, She Won't Talk About It
Jun 3, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Meg White Hears the Critics. No, She Won't Talk About It
'Elle' profiles the former White Stripes drummer, who is happy to eschew public life
- Earlier this year, the name Meg White was trending on Twitter because a political reporter dissed her drumming for the defunct but iconic rock band the White Stripes. As Melissa Giannini writes in
, the backlash arrived quickly on behalf of the "extremely introverted" White, who disappeared from public...
Jury Sides With Ed Sheeran
in Song-Stealing Trial
May 4, 2023 12:45 PM CDT
Jury Sides With Ed Sheeran in Song-Stealing Trial
Singer was accused of pilfering from a Marvin Gaye classic
- Ed Sheeran is not a musical plagiarist, a New York jury decided Thursday. Jurors sided with Sheeran, who maintained he didn't rip off the Marvin Gaye classic "Let's Get It On" when he created his own song "Thinking Out Loud," reports NBC News . Jurors reached...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.