Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Death Toll Rises to 48 After
Hurricane Devastates Acapulco
Oct 30, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Death Toll Rises to 48 After Hurricane Devastates Acapulco
At least 36 remain missing
- At least 48 people died when Category 5 Hurricane Otis slammed into Mexico's southern Pacific coast—most of them in Acapulco—Mexican authorities said Sunday as the death toll continued to climb and families buried loved ones. Mexico's civil defense agency said in a statement that 43 of...
Left at Least 27 Dead
Oct 26, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Acapulco Hurricane Left at Least 27 Dead
Category 5 storm intensified rapidly and devastated Acapulco
- The first casualty numbers are in for Hurricane Otis, which slammed Mexico's Pacific coast on Wednesday. At least 27 people were killed and another four are missing, reports the AP . One factor under review: why forecasters weren't able to predict the hurricane would intensify as quickly as it...
Category 5 Hurricane
Slams Southern Mexico
Oct 25, 2023 6:40 AM CDT
Category 5 Hurricane Slams Southern Mexico
Hurricane Otis, now a category 4, to drop up to 15 inches of rain in areas
- Hurricane Otis slammed into Mexico's southern Pacific coast as a catastrophic Category 5 hurricane early Wednesday, bringing dangerous winds and heavy rain to Acapulco and surrounding towns, stirring memories of a deadly storm in 1997. Now a Category 4 storm, the hurricane was expected to continue to weaken quickly...
From Atlantic, Pacific
Oct 21, 2023 2:10 PM CDT
Hurricanes Approach From Atlantic, Pacific
Los Cabos resorts prepare for Norma
- Residents of Mexico's Los Cabos resorts rushed to prepare as Hurricane Norma headed toward the southern tip of Mexico's Baja California Peninsula for an expected landfall Saturday, while in the Atlantic, Hurricane Tammy threatened to batter the islands of the Lesser Antilles. Businesses in Cabo San Lucas nailed...
Oct 11, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
Hurricane Lidia Makes Landfall as 'Extremely Dangerous' Storm
Category 4 storm makes landfall near Puerto Vallarta
- Hurricane Lidia made landfall as an "extremely dangerous" Category 4 storm Tuesday evening with winds of 140mph near Mexico's Pacific coast resort of Puerto Vallarta, the AP reports. The US National Hurricane Center said Lidia's eye appeared to have reached land near Las Penitas in the western...
Lidia Strengthens to
Category 4 Off Mexico Coast
Oct 10, 2023 6:20 PM CDT
Lidia Strengthens to Category 4 Off Mexico Coast
Hurricane could continue to strengthen before making landfall near Puerto Vallarta
- Lidia became an "extremely dangerous" Category 4 hurricane Tuesday with winds of 140 mph as it took aim at Mexico's Pacific coast resort of Puerto Vallarta. The US National Hurricane Center said Tuesday that Lidia could continue to strengthen just hours before making landfall. The hurricane was expected to make...
New England Braces for
Effects of Hurricane Lee
Sep 13, 2023 2:31 PM CDT
New England Braces for Effects of Hurricane Lee
Storm could make landfall in Maine Saturday
- New England is bracing for heavy rains and wind from Hurricane Lee, which is currently on course to pass just west of Bermuda on a track that will take it toward Maine and Canada's Atlantic provinces. The hurricane, currently a Category 3 storm with winds of up to 115mph,...
Hurricane Lee Is Breaking
the Mold, Experts Say
Sep 9, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
Hurricane Lee Is Breaking the Mold, Experts Say
Storm could be the edge of a trend posing increasing threat to inland places
- Hurricane Lee is rewriting old rules of meteorology, leaving experts astonished at how rapidly it grew into a goliath Category 5 hurricane. Lee—which just as quickly dropped to a still-dangerous Category 3 and held that strength Saturday—could still be a harbinger as ocean temperatures climb, spawning fast-growing major...
2023 Gets Its First
Category 5 Hurricane
Sep 8, 2023 6:11 AM CDT
2023 Gets Its First Category 5 Hurricane
Hurricane Lee strengthening, hits wind speeds of up to 160mph
- Hurricane Lee whirled through open waters toward the northeast Caribbean late Thursday, becoming the first Category 5 storm of the Atlantic season, the AP reports. Lee was not expected to make landfall although forecasters said tropical storm conditions are possible on some islands. Meteorologists said it was too early...
Lee May Soon Become
Sep 6, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Lee May Soon Become 'Extremely Dangerous'
Tropical storm is set to evolve into a Category 4 or 5 hurricane by the weekend in the Caribbean
- At the moment, Lee is a mere tropical storm churning its way through the Atlantic. By later Wednesday, however, it could be upgraded to a hurricane, and by Friday, it's expected to transform into an "extremely dangerous" one, reports Axios . "There is high confidence that Lee will...
Barrels Into Florida
Aug 30, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
'Unprecedented' Idalia Barrels Into Florida
Hurricane made landfall as Category 3 storm along western Big Bend region
- Hurricane Idalia briefly strengthened to a dangerous Category 4 storm, then fell back to Category 3 status on Wednesday morning as it made landfall in Florida's Big Bend region, where it threatened to unleash massive rainfall and life-threatening storm surges as high as 15 feet. As it made landfall...
Ordered in 8 Florida Counties
Aug 29, 2023 7:53 PM CDT
Mandatory Evacuations Ordered in 8 Florida Counties
Hurricane Idalia set to make 'unprecedented' landfall in Big Bend region
- Florida residents living in vulnerable coastal areas were ordered to pack up and leave Tuesday as Hurricane Idalia gained steam in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico and threatened to unleash life-threatening storm surges and rainfall. Idalia had strengthened to a Category 2 system on Tuesday afternoon, with...
Nearly 50% of Florida
Under State of Emergency
Aug 28, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Nearly 50% of Florida Under State of Emergency
State braces for hurricane as another wreaks havoc in Caribbean
- Tropical Storm Idalia, brewing off the east coast of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, is expected to become a hurricane on Tuesday and threaten the US soon after. The storm had maximum sustained winds of 40mph on Sunday when it was 95 miles from Cozumel, Mexico, and moving northeast at 3mph,...
Evacuations Precede Hilary
Aug 19, 2023 4:29 PM CDT
Evacuations Precede Hilary
Hurricane weakens as it picks up speed before reaching California
- Hurricane Hilary has not yet made landfall in the US, but California officials already are calling for evacuations. The storm has weakened but accelerated, forecasters said, and probably will be downgraded to a tropical storm by Sunday,
the San Diego Union-Tribune
reports. But they still warn of "catastrophic and...
Natural Disasters Hit
These States Most
Aug 19, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Natural Disasters Hit These States Most
But it's good to be in New England
- If it seems like all you're doing lately is reading about wildfires, floods, droughts, tornadoes, mudslides, earthquakes, and on and on and on, well, you're not alone. While it might seem like natural disasters are inescapable, the folks over at WalletHub crunched some data—going back to 1980—...
for Rare Tropical Storm
Aug 18, 2023 5:54 AM CDT
California Braces for Rare Tropical Storm
Hurricane Hilary strengthens to Category 4, is expected to weaken before landfall
- Hurricane Hilary is bearing down on California and the Southwest, driving the region to brace for heavy rain and strong winds. Hilary grew rapidly to Category 4 strength off Mexico's Pacific coast early Friday and it is expected to continue gaining strength before weakening Saturday. The storm "is...
Could Be Brutal
Aug 11, 2023 8:49 AM CDT
This Year's Hurricane Season Could Be Brutal
NOAA revises prediction, says there's likely to be an 'above-normal level of activity'
- More than two months after the official start of the Atlantic hurricane season, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has revised its prediction that it's likely to be near-normal or below normal. NOAA says there's now a 60% chance of an "above-normal level of activity," with...
Rare June Hurricane Is Possible
Jun 20, 2023 12:22 PM CDT
Rare June Hurricane Is Possible
Warmer ocean temperatures in the Atlantic are a factor
- Tropical Storm Bret chugged toward the eastern Caribbean on Tuesday as forecasters warned it could strengthen into a rare June hurricane. Bret had maximum sustained winds of 40mph and was moving across the Atlantic Ocean at 17mph, per the AP . It's expected to strengthen into a hurricane in the...
Nicole Moves North After
Toppling Florida Homes
Nov 11, 2022 4:37 AM CST
Nicole Moves North After Toppling Florida Homes
Storm killed at least 2, wrecked dozens of buildings
- Tropical Depression Nicole was moving through Georgia Friday morning after a day of causing havoc as it churned through Florida as a hurricane and then tropical storm. The rare November hurricane could dump as much as 6 inches of rain over the Blue Ridge Mountains, the National Hurricane Center said....
Hurricane Nicole Makes
Landfall in Florida
Nov 10, 2022 4:28 AM CST
Hurricane Nicole Makes Landfall in Florida
Rare November hurricane hits state's east coast
- Hurricane Nicole made landfall early Thursday along the east coast of Florida, just south of Vero Beach. The storm was already battering a large area of the storm-weary state with strong winds, dangerous storm surge, and heavy rain, officials said. The rare November hurricane had already led officials to shut...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.