Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Heart Scare, LeBron's Kid
Will Return to Basketball
Dec 1, 2023 12:30 AM CST
After Heart Scare, LeBron's Kid Will Return to Basketball
Bronny James will resume practice with USC team next week
- Bronny James has been cleared by doctors for a full return to basketball four months after suffering a cardiac arrest during a workout , and the Southern California freshman is expected to make his collegiate debut soon, the AP reports. A James family spokesperson said in a statement Thursday that the...
Consciousness May Occur
After Heart, Brain Flatline
Sep 15, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Consciousness May Occur After Heart, Brain Flatline
Brain signals support idea of near-death experiences amid cardiac arrest: study
- Their hearts and brains had flatlined. Yet as doctors tried to revive their "technically dead" patients, some of those patients were aware of what was going on. One patient recalled people placing electrodes on their chest and feeling the subsequent shock, per the
. Others "were able...
LeBron James' Son
Suffers Cardiac Arrest
Jul 25, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
LeBron James' Son Suffers Cardiac Arrest
18-year-old was practicing with USC's basketball team at the time, is now recovering at hospital
- The 18-year-old son of LeBron James—a basketball star in his own right—went into cardiac arrest Monday while practicing with his USC team, reports TMZ . Freshman Bronny James was rushed unconscious to the hospital but is now out of the ICU and in stable condition, according to the report....
It's an Emotional Reunion
for Damar Hamlin
Jul 13, 2023 8:27 AM CDT
It's an Emotional Reunion for Damar Hamlin
At ESPYs, Bills safety honors staff who saved his life during cardiac arrest
- Gearing up for his return to NFL play this fall, Damar Hamlin took a moment Wednesday to honor those who saved his life when he suffered a rare cardiac arrest triggered by a hit to the chest during a Monday Night Football game in January. Appearing on stage at the...
Pain, Drawbacks of CPR
Prompt a Reassessment
May 30, 2023 4:44 PM CDT
Pain, Drawbacks of CPR Prompt a Reassessment
Procedure is much more successful on TV shows than in real life
- CPR seems like a lifesaver, and it can be. But there are drawbacks that receive less attention, NPR reports. The trauma is serious enough to prompt nurses to refuse to perform CPR on some patients and as many as half of patients who survived after undergoing the procedure to still...
Lisa Marie Presley
Is Dead at 54
Jan 12, 2023 8:00 PM CST
Lisa Marie Presley Is Dead at 54
Daughter of Elvis suffered apparent cardiac arrest
- Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis, died Thursday at age 54, reports the AP . “It is with a heavy heart that I must share the devastating news that my beautiful daughter Lisa Marie has left us," her mother, Priscilla Presley, said in a statement. "She was the...
After Hamlin Collapsed,
Radio Calls Got Intense
Jan 6, 2023 11:32 AM CST
After Hamlin Collapsed, Radio Calls Got Intense
Emergency recordings lend insight into grave scene on the field
- As Buffalo Bills player Damar Hamlin continues to heal following his collapse during an NFL game Monday night after suffering from a cardiac arrest, recordings have been released of the red-alert emergency response on the field at Cincinnati's Paycor Stadium. "I don't like how he went down"...
Stampede at Halloween Event
Kills at Least 146 in Seoul
Oct 29, 2022 2:22 PM CDT
Stampede at Halloween Event Kills at Least 146 in Seoul
150 are reported injured after crowd surge during festivities on narrow street
This story has been updated throughout with the latest death toll and new details.
At least 146 people were killed and 150 more injured when they were crushed by a large crowd pushing forward on a narrow street during Halloween festivities Saturday night in Seoul, South Korean officials said....
May 27, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
'I'm not going to die today' a determined 16-year-old Dalton Bruton thought
- For 16-year-old Dalton Bruton, being around horses has always been a "calming experience." Not so much last week, when the Oklahoma teen got kicked so hard by one that he ended up having a heart attack. KFOR reports on the May 19 incident on the horse farm owned...
Jun 18, 2021 1:27 PM CDT
Soccer Player Home From Hospital After Field Collapse
Denmark's Christian Eriksen suffered cardiac arrest during Euro 2020 match
- Christian Eriksen was discharged from the hospital on Friday and immediately went to visit his Denmark teammates nearly a week after suffering cardiac arrest during a European Championship match. The Danish soccer federation wrote on Twitter that Eriksen was released from the Rigshospitalet in central Copenhagen after a successful operation....
on Field 'Was Gone'
Jun 13, 2021 12:00 PM CDT
Doctor: Player Who Collapsed on Field 'Was Gone'
Denmark's Christian Eriksen 'was gone,' team physician says
- Denmark's team doctor said Sunday that a player's heart stopped and that "he was gone" before being resuscitated with a defibrillator at the European Championship. Christian Eriksen collapsed on the field during Denmark's opening Euro 2020 group game against Finland on Saturday and was given lengthy...
He Mowed Too Close to Killer
Bees: 'He Was Just Covered'
Apr 28, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
He Mowed Too Close to Killer Bees: 'He Was Just Covered'
Thomas Hicks dies in rare fatal bee attack in West Texas
- A West Texas woman says she lost the "love of my life" Monday in an attack by angry bees. Thomas Hicks, 70, suffered cardiac arrest after he was repeatedly stung while mowing his yard in Breckenridge, about 100 miles west of Fort Worth. His widow, Zoni, says she made...
Family of DMX:
We Need Your Prayers
Apr 5, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Family of DMX: We Need Your Prayers
Rapper, 50, remains in 'vegetative state' after heart attack
- Monday brings no reports of a medical rebound for rapper DMX. Instead, the family of the 50-year-old rapper is asking for prayers, reports
. DMX remains in what his former manager tells BuzzFeed is a "vegetative state" in White Plains Hospital after going into cardiac arrest on Friday night....
Cause of Death
Jun 3, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Fred Willard's Cause of Death Revealed
Actor died of cardiac arrest at age 86
- Comedic acting great Fred Willard died of cardiac arrest. That's according to his death certificate, obtained by TMZ . It lists the immediate cause of death as cardiac arrest, with myelodysplastic syndrome and coronary artery disease identified as underlying causes. Willard died at 6:45pm on May 15 and has...
10-Year-Old Girl Dies After
Plane Takes Off From LAX
Dec 27, 2019 12:23 PM CST
10-Year-Old Girl Dies After Plane Takes Off From LAX
Janice Xu is believed to have suffered cardiac arrest on flight from LA to Seattle
- A young girl was pronounced dead Thursday at Los Angeles International Airport after she suffered an apparent cardiac arrest on her Delta Air Lines flight that had just taken off for Seattle, forcing the plane to return due to the medical emergency, CBS News reports. CBS Los Angeles notes the...
Her Heart Stopped
for 6 Hours. She's Fine
Dec 6, 2019 11:55 AM CST
Her Heart Stopped for 6 Hours. She's Fine
Audrey Schoeman survived remarkably long cardiac arrest thanks to cold weather
- Her heart may have stopped beating for as long as six hours. But Audrey Schoeman is perfectly fine, thank you very much. "It's like a miracle except that it's all because of the doctors," says the 34-year-old Brit from Barcelona, who suffered the longest cardiac arrest...
Miss Teen Universe
Winner Dead at Age 20
Mar 10, 2019 11:47 AM CDT
Miss Teen Universe Winner Dead at Age 20
Lotte van der Zee appeared to be in good health
- A former Miss Teen Universe has died after suffering a totally unexpected heart attack two weeks ago,
reports. Lotte van der Zee was hospitalized and suffered organ failure before her death Wednesday at age 20. "Our pearl, our everything passed away on Wednesday evening March 6th at 22:...
Cause of Death
Oct 3, 2017 11:55 AM CDT
Hugh Hefner's Cause of Death Revealed
E. coli infection, blood infection contributed to his death from cardiac arrest
- Hugh Hefner's death certificate from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, obtained by the Blast , reveals his official cause of death: The
founder contracted the blood infection septicemia and a form of E. coli that was "highly resistant to antibiotics," and he ultimately died...
Boy Goes Into
After Biting Into
Sep 7, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
Boy Goes Into Cardiac Arrest After Biting Into Hot Dog
Doctors say he has Brugada syndrome
- When a 9-year-old boy took a big bite out of a hot dog in Turkey, he didn't choke on it—but he still almost died. That's because, as tests following his resuscitation from cardiac arrest revealed, he has a rare genetic condition known as Brugada syndrome, which impairs...
CPR Student Saves Teacher
Having a Heart Attack
Jul 24, 2017 9:48 AM CDT
CPR Student Saves Teacher Having a Heart Attack
David Knowles would have likely died without speedy help
- David Knowles was leading a class on CPR when he suddenly felt weak and dizzy. As the retired UK nurse lay on the floor, he realized he had little time to tell his students what to do before he passed out, the BBC reports. The group "had asked for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.