Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Famous Cat
Nov 29, 2023 1:41 PM CST
A Famous Cat Population Faces a Crackdown
NPS wants some 200 strays removed from historic site in Puerto Rico
- Hundreds of stray cats that roam a historic seaside tourist area of Puerto Rico's capital, where they're considered both a delight and a nuisance, will be removed over the coming year under a plan unveiled Tuesday by the National Park Service. The NPS says it will contract an...
Puerto Rico Just Made a Big
Change to Its Driver's Licenses
Oct 14, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Puerto Rico Just Made a Big Change to Its Driver's Licenses
The territory is adding 'USA' to make citizenship clear, curb discrimination against residents
- Puerto Rican driver's licenses are getting three new letters to help educate other Americans, who are overwhelming unaware of their citizenship. The
New York Times
reports that licenses will now have "USA" right up top, a move that aims to deter practices on the mainland that deny Puerto...
Lee May Soon Become
Sep 6, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
Lee May Soon Become 'Extremely Dangerous'
Tropical storm is set to evolve into a Category 4 or 5 hurricane by the weekend in the Caribbean
- At the moment, Lee is a mere tropical storm churning its way through the Atlantic. By later Wednesday, however, it could be upgraded to a hurricane, and by Friday, it's expected to transform into an "extremely dangerous" one, reports Axios . "There is high confidence that Lee will...
Félix Verdejo-Sánchez Guilty
in Pregnant Woman's Death
Jul 30, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Félix Verdejo-Sánchez Guilty in Pregnant Woman's Death
Puerto Rico Olympic boxer drugged victim, threw her into lagoon
- Félix Verdejo-Sánchez, a boxer who competed in the 2012 Olympics for Puerto Rico, has been convicted of federal charges in the 2021 death of a 27-year-old pregnant woman. The US attorney's office in the District of Puerto Rico announced that a federal jury found Verdejo-Sánchez guilty...
On Family Trip
to Scatter Ashes,
a Double Tragedy
Mar 22, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
On Family Trip to Scatter Ashes, a Double Tragedy
Husband drowns trying to save wife; his dad drowns trying to save him
- An unimaginable tragedy took place during a family's trip to Puerto Rico to scatter ashes, leaving the family to return home missing two members. While scattering his grandfather's ashes in the ocean, Damian Walker jumped into the water to save his wife when she was swept away by...
Someone Celebrated His
Baseball Win a Little Too Hard
Mar 16, 2023 10:23 AM CDT
Someone Celebrated His Baseball Win a Little Too Hard
Mets closer Edwin Diaz may be out for season after hurting knee in World Baseball Classic celebration
- New York Mets closer Edwin Diaz suffered a possibly season-ending injury Wednesday at a World Baseball Classic game, but it wasn't during the game itself. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Diaz, 28, finished off the ninth inning during the international tournament in Miami for Puerto Rico's 5-2...
Mar 3, 2023 1:57 PM CST
Woman Declared Dead Decades Ago Suddenly Turns Up
Patricia Kopta, who vanished from Pennsylvania in 1992, found in Puerto Rico nursing home at age 83
- A Pennsylvania woman who went missing more than 30 years ago in a case that stumped authorities who later declared her legally dead has been found living in a nursing home in Puerto Rico. Patricia Kopta left behind a husband and siblings and meandered through northern Puerto Rico for a...
3 Tourists Stabbed
in Puerto Rico
Feb 6, 2023 5:25 PM CST
3 Tourists Stabbed in Puerto Rico
Police say visitors from mainland US had been told to stop filming in San Juan neighborhood
- Three tourists from the US mainland were stabbed in Puerto Rico early Monday after someone told them to stop filming in a renowned seaside community known as La Perla that is popular with visitors, police said. The confrontation began when one of the tourists, who lives in South Carolina, began...
Miss Argentina Marries
Miss Puerto Rico
Nov 3, 2022 11:25 AM CDT
Miss Argentina Marries Miss Puerto Rico
Beauty queens Mariana Varela, Fabiola Valentin dated secretly before tying the knot Friday
- Mariana Varela and Fabiola Valentin were rivals at the 2020 Miss Grand International competition, as representatives of Argentina and Puerto Rico, respectively. But the beauty queens remained close after finishing in the top 10. Very, very close . As the pair revealed Thursday, they've not only been secretly dating but...
Puerto Rico Will Be Rebuilt,
Biden Promises on Visit
Oct 3, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Puerto Rico Will Be Rebuilt, Biden Promises on Visit
FEMA chief acknowledges issues 'in the previous administration'
- President Biden promised to "rebuild it all" while visiting Puerto Rico on Monday, as tens of thousands of people remain without power two weeks after Hurricane Fiona struck and residents worry that Washington's dedication to their recovery could prove fleeting. "I'm committed to this island,"...
Biden Takes Another
Emergency Step for Puerto Rico
Sep 22, 2022 1:04 PM CDT
Biden Takes Another Emergency Step for Puerto Rico
Major disaster declaration unlocks federal funding to be administered through FEMA
- Days after approving an emergency declaration as Hurricane Fiona whomped Puerto Rico , President Biden has now issued a major disaster declaration to help the island recover. Gov. Pedro Pierluisi thanked the president and the Federal Emergency Management Agency for the expedited declaration Wednesday, saying it ensures Puero Rico "will...
5 Years After Maria, Puerto Rico
Faces Another Power Crisis
Sep 19, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
5 Years After Maria, Puerto Rico Faces Another Power Crisis
It's not clear when electricity will be restored after Hurricane Fiona, though government says not long
- The damage to Puerto Rico after it was slammed over the weekend by Hurricane Fiona is said to be "catastrophic," with landslides, severe flooding, and power getting knocked out for all of the island's residents. The storm is set to continue to dump rain on the US...
Damage in Puerto Rico,
Hurricane Fiona Isn't Done
Sep 19, 2022 12:21 AM CDT
After 'Catastrophic' Damage in Puerto Rico, Hurricane Fiona Isn't Done
'This is not over,' meteorologist warns
- Hurricane Fiona bore down on the Dominican Republic on Monday after knocking out the power grid and unleashing floods and landslides in Puerto Rico, where the governor said the damage was “catastrophic." No deaths have been reported, but authorities in the US territory said it was too early...
All of Puerto Rico Loses Power
Sep 18, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
All of Puerto Rico Loses Power
Hurricane Fiona has made landfall
- The tropical storm became a hurricane Sunday, as winds and rain intensified and electricity was knocked out to all of Puerto Rico. Hurricane Fiona caused the power grid to fail, officials said, imposing a blackout on all 1.4 million customers. At the same time, the National Hurricane Center advised...
Puerto Rico Prepares
for Landslides, Flooding
Sep 17, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Puerto Rico Prepares for Landslides, Flooding
Forecasters expect tropical storm to become a hurricane
- Tropical Storm Fiona was expected to become a hurricane as it neared Puerto Rico on Saturday, threatening to dump up to 20 inches of rain as people braced for potential landslides, severe flooding, and power outages. The storm previously battered various eastern Caribbean islands, with one death reported in the...
Book: Trump Wanted to Trade
Puerto Rico for Greenland
Sep 15, 2022 2:42 PM CDT
Book: Trump Wanted to Trade Puerto Rico for Greenland
Idea to purchase Danish territory wasn't actually his, according to reporters
- In an interview for a new book, Donald Trump insisted the idea to buy Greenland from Denmark was all his. Looking at a map, the president wondered, "Why don't we have that?" Trump told husband-and-wife journalists Peter Baker of the
New York Times
and Susan Glasser of the...
Jul 21, 2022 1:21 PM CDT
Nephew Withdraws Claim Against Ricky Martin
Case in Puerto Rico is dismissed in victory for the entertainer
A disturbing court case against Ricky Martin has been dismissed, reports
. The singer's nephew, who had accused Martin of sexual abuse, requested that his case be dismissed, and a judge in Puerto Rico agreed to the request. As a result, a restraining order issued against Martin also...
11 Dead, 31 Rescued After
Helicopter Spots Capsized Boat
May 13, 2022 12:10 AM CDT
11 Dead, 31 Rescued After Helicopter Spots Capsized Boat
Boat loaded with suspected migrants overturned near Puerto Rico
- A boat loaded with suspected migrants capsized north of an uninhabited island near Puerto Rico and 11 people had been confirmed dead while 20 men and 11 women were rescued Thursday, authorities said. It wasn't immediately clear how many people were aboard the boat when it turned over, said...
Supreme Court Shuts
Puerto Ricans Out of Benefits
Apr 21, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Supreme Court Shuts Puerto Ricans Out of Benefits
Majority notes federal income tax doesn't apply to the territory, either
- The Supreme Court has upheld the differential treatment of residents of Puerto Rico, ruling that Congress was within its power to exclude them from a benefits program that's available in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The court held by an 8-1 vote Thursday that making Puerto...
Puerto Rico's 'Fragile' Grid
Sees Major Blackout After Fire
Apr 7, 2022 10:52 AM CDT
Puerto Rico's 'Fragile' Grid Sees Major Blackout After Fire
More than 1 million customers are without power across the island
- More than a million customers in Puerto Rico remained without electricity on Thursday after a fire at a main power plant caused the biggest blackout so far this year across the US territory, forcing it to cancel classes and shutter government offices. The blackout also left some 160,000 customers...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.