Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's Going to Be a Wet
and Wintry Holiday Week
Nov 21, 2023 7:49 AM CST
It's Going to Be a Wet and Wintry Holiday Week
Storm system ahead of Thanksgiving to bring rain, snow across US amid expected record travel
- The Thanksgiving holiday week looks to be back in full force, with a record number of travelers expected both on the road and in the air—despite a weather forecast set to bring travel snarls across a good part of the United States. The AP reports that the Transportation Security...
Peach State Was a Bit Too
Warm for Peaches This Year
Jun 26, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Peach State Was a Bit Too Warm for Peaches This Year
Georgia set to lose 95% of crop due to atypically warm temps, followed by damaging frosts
- The Peach State isn't doing so peachy right now, at least not when it comes to its signature fruit. "You will not be able to find a Georgia peach in grocery stores this year," Lanier Pearson, the wife of a fifth-generation peach farmer in the state, told...
A Rare Weather Pattern
Is Upon Us
Sep 12, 2022 2:34 PM CDT
A Rare Weather Pattern Is Upon Us
A 'triple dip' of La Nina, referring to 3 straight years of it, is here
- The weather pattern known as La Nina has materialized in the equatorial Pacific. If that factoid sounds familiar, it's because this is the third consecutive year for the phenomenon—and that marks the first time in a century such a "triple dip" has occurred, according to the World...
Anchor's Weather Remarks
Don't Look Up
Jul 21, 2022 10:54 AM CDT
Anchor's Weather Remarks Likened to
Don't Look Up
'I want us to be happy about the weather,' UK presenter said after heat wave warning
- Since its launch last year, the GB News channel in the UK has often been compared to Fox News—but critics say a bizarre exchange last week was more like
Don't Look Up
. In video that has gone viral since record-breaking heat reached the UK earlier this week, meteorologist...
Just Got Even Weirder
Dec 30, 2021 12:53 PM CST
Alaska's Weather Just Got Even Weirder
After record-breaking highs, state is now experiencing 'Icemaggedon' from warm moisture
- Record-high temperatures in Alaska over the holiday weekend doesn't mean locals have pulled out their bathing suits. In fact, Fairbanks and other areas are now experiencing what Alaska Public Media calls a "weather roller coaster," with snowstorms followed by heavy rains that are wreaking havoc across...
It Was 67 in Alaska on Sunday.
Yep, That's a Record
Dec 29, 2021 9:30 AM CST
It Was 67 in Alaska on Sunday. Yep, That's a Record
And it's not the only one to be set in December
- "In late December. I would not have thought such a thing possible." So tweeted an Alaska-based climate specialist Monday in regards to the recent temps in that state, but it's a sentiment that could be more broadly applied. A flurry of weather records have been set in...
NWS: Today's 'Historical'
Weather Is Highly Dangerous
Dec 15, 2021 6:50 PM CST
NWS: Today's 'Historical' Weather Is Highly Dangerous
Unprecedented December storm system roars across central US
- Wednesday is a "historical weather day," according to the National Weather Service , with at least 100 million Americans under weather warnings in an area stretching from the West Coast to the Great Lakes. A high wind warning is in place for an area from New Mexico to upper...
Study: China Manipulated the
Weather for Centenary Event
Dec 6, 2021 9:07 AM CST
Study: China Manipulated the Weather for Centenary Event
Country used cloud seeding to lower air pollution, bring about clear skies, say researchers
- As the 100th anniversary of China's Communist Party approached in July, the government wanted to make sure that the event was pulled off without a hitch—including ensuring there was good weather for the big day. Which is why researchers out of Tsinghua University are now saying that officials...
Denver Without Snow in
December: It's 'Unheard Of'
Dec 1, 2021 7:55 AM CST
Denver Without Snow in December: It's 'Unheard Of'
City could log 2nd-longest period without snow within days
- Never in recorded history has Denver entered December without logging some snowfall—until now. The city, which has yet to receive its first measurable snow (more than a tenth of an inch) of the 2021 winter season, has blown past its previous record for the latest first snowfall set on...
'Large, Battering Waves'
Forecast for Chicago
Sep 22, 2021 12:40 PM CDT
'Large, Battering Waves' Forecast for Chicago
National Weather Service warns of potential flooding at southern end of Lake Michigan
- The Chicago shoreline and other areas around Lake Michigan will be a very dangerous place to be on Wednesday and Thursday, forecasters warn. The National Weather Service says "large, battering waves" up to 16 feet high could hit the area, driven by northerly winds of up to 45mph, CNN...
Mother Nature Puts Crimp
in Trump Rally Plans
Jul 10, 2020 1:44 PM CDT
Mother Nature Puts Crimp in Trump Rally Plans
Saturday campaign event in Portsmouth, NH, to be rescheduled, thanks to Tropical Storm Fay
- President Trump's campaign staffers have had their eye for some time on New Hampshire as a state they could flip in November, after Trump barely lost there in 2016. That's why an upcoming rally in New Hampshire over the weekend was viewed as an important one, but it'...
It's Hot This Week, and
It Gets Worse Next Week
Jul 7, 2020 12:43 PM CDT
It's Hot This Week, and It Gets Worse Next Week
That applies to virtually all of the US
- The heat is on. And for most of America it’ll stay on through the rest of the month and maybe longer, meteorologists say, per the AP. Widespread and prolonged extreme heat is baking the contiguous United States and meteorologists see no relief in sight, except for a brief time...
Unusual Pandemic Casualty:
May 8, 2020 2:41 PM CDT
Unusual Pandemic Casualty: Weather Forecasts
Airplanes that provide meteorological data aren't flying
- Last month, the director general of the International Air Transport Association described the coronavirus pandemic as the biggest crisis to ever hit the industry, leaving airlines "with little to do," per Business Insider . One ramification now coming to light is the effect on weather forecasts. As NPR reports,...
Thought We Avoided the
Polar Vortex? Not So Fast
May 8, 2020 11:44 AM CDT
Thought We Avoided the Polar Vortex? Not So Fast
Parts of Northeast US may experience rare May snow, record low temps
- The northeastern US is about to get a cold spring farewell from the polar vortex, which could bring rare May snowfall and record-low temperatures to some areas over the Mother's Day weekend. Usually the polar vortex is a batch of cold air that stays trapped in the Arctic all...
Hits the Deep South
Apr 12, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Mother Nature Hits the Deep South
Several states are under storm warnings
- Strong storms pounded parts of the Deep South on Sunday, damaging buildings and toppling trees in northern Louisiana, the AP reports. The National Weather Service reported multiple tornadoes and damaging winds over much of the northern part of the state. There were no immediate reports of serious injuries. Utility companies...
2 Places in America Recorded
No Snow for First Time
Mar 2, 2020 2:50 PM CST
2 Places in America Recorded No Snow for First Time
Since record keeping began, snow had always fallen in Baltimore and Islip in February
- A whole bunch of snow shovels likely collected dust in Baltimore and Islip, New York, last month. The National Weather Service on Monday shared "one for the record books": the fact that neither of those locations saw any snow in February for the first time on record. The same...
9 Dead Amid
Severe US Storms
Jan 11, 2020 4:30 PM CST
9 Dead Amid Severe US Storms
Louisiana takes the brunt of it so far
- Severe storms sweeping across parts of the US South were blamed Saturday in the deaths of at least nine people, including two first responders, as high winds, tornadoes, and unrelenting rain battered a large area of the region, the AP reports. Storm-related fatalities were reported in icy weather in Texas,...
Finds a New
Dec 1, 2019 5:30 PM CST
Deadly Storm Finds a New Target
New England, New York, and parts of Pennsylvania are up next
- A deadly winter storm that has been tormenting travelers across the US since before Thanksgiving moved to the Northeast on Sunday, packing one last punch of snow and ice as people made their way home after the holiday weekend, the AP reports. The National Weather Service predicted more than a...
This Is Arizona—and
That's Not the Half of It
Nov 30, 2019 3:07 PM CST
This Is Arizona—and That's Not the Half of It
From California up through the northern midwest, it looks like winter
- Wintry weather bedeviled Thanksgiving weekend travelers across the US on Saturday as a powerful and dangerous storm moved eastward, dumping heavy snow from parts of California to the northern Midwest and inundating other areas with rain, the AP reports. A 5-year-old boy died and two other children were missing in...
Scorching Heat Is Widespread
Jul 20, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
Scorching Heat Is Widespread
The National Weather Service calls it a 'dangerous heat wave'
- Americans from Texas to Maine sweated out a steamy Saturday as a heat wave canceled events from festivals to horse races and pushed New York City to order power-saving steps to avoid overtaxing the electrical grid. The National Weather Service said "a dangerous heat wave" was expected to break...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.