Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 27, 2023 2:51 PM CST
These Are the Most Sinful Cities in America
Las Vegas ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list, while Pearl City, Hawaii, proves most virtuous
- Christian teachings have long warned against the seven deadly sins, yet since the beginning of time, humans just can't seem to lick their related vices. WalletHub wanted to see which US cities are rife with people acting "illicitly," so it examined more than 180 of the largest...
Man With Esteemed
Was 'Blinded by Greed'
Nov 3, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
Man With Esteemed Classic-Car Collection Was 'Blinded by Greed'
Businessman Najeeb Khan, who orchestrated $180M check-kiting scheme, gets 8 years in prison
- A businessman who orchestrated a $180 million check-kiting scheme and used the proceeds to live a lavish lifestyle and amass one of the world's most revered classic-car collections has been sentenced to more than eight years in prison, per the AP . Najeeb Khan, 70, of Edwardsburg, Michigan, told a...
Seize Statue at
Sep 1, 2023 8:23 AM CDT
NY Authorities Seize Statue at Cleveland Museum
Ancient statue was allegedly looted from archaeological site in Turkey
- The star attraction of the Cleveland Museum of Art's ancient Roman collection is now in the custody of New York authorities. The New York District Attorney's office says a 6-foot-4 headless bronze statue believed to represent emperor Marcus Aurelius has been "seized in place" under a state...
This Is the Most
Stressed City in America
Jul 11, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed City in America
Cleveland tops WalletHub's list, while Vermont's South Burlington chillaxes in last place
- Between work, family issues, money, and life's other usual trials and tribulations, trying to tamp down on stress can seem a fruitless task. There may be some areas of the country, however, where you can surround yourself with a calmer, more carefree populace. WalletHub examined the 182 largest US...
2 Cleveland Browns
Players Robbed at Gunpoint
Jun 6, 2023 2:19 PM CDT
2 Cleveland Browns Players Robbed at Gunpoint
Cops say players had jewelry, truck stolen
- Cleveland Browns coach Kevin Stefanski expressed relief that two of his defensive players were not physically harmed while being robbed at gunpoint by six masked men outside a downtown night club. According to Cleveland Police, the players had jewelry and a truck taken during the early morning stickup. Police redacted...
Mother Reports Teen Daughter
After Grisly Find in Trash
May 23, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
Mother Reports Teen Daughter After Grisly Find in Trash
Police say older woman found 2 newborns in the trash
- It's a brutal story out of Cleveland: A woman called police to report finding the bodies of twin newborns in a garbage can, reports Cleveland.com . What's more, she also told police that it was her own 16-year-old daughter who'd given birth to the twins days earlier...
Looking for Big Tips?
These States Deliver
Mar 6, 2023 3:22 PM CST
Looking for Big Tips? These States Deliver
Delaware tops the list of Toast's quarterly 'Restaurant Trends Report'
- Online eatery platform Toast is out with its quarterly "Restaurant Trends Report," for Q4 of last year, and among such stats as delivery orders during the Super Bowl, the site examined the state of tipping nationwide. Toast looked at average tips across the US and found that Cleveland...
An Iconic Ohio
Home Is Up for Grabs
Nov 15, 2022 10:19 AM CST
An Iconic Ohio Home Is Up for Grabs
Cleveland house used in 'A Christmas Story,' plus a museum and gift shop, has been listed
- You could spend Christmas—and every other day of the year—in the house made famous by
A Christmas Story
. The century-old home in Cleveland, used to house the family of Ralphie Parker in the 1983 film, is up for sale as part of a listing that includes a museum,...
the 'Rattiest' City
Oct 25, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Congrats, NYC: You're Not the 'Rattiest' City in America
Chicago takes that honor in rankings by Orkin pest control company; the Big Apple comes in 2nd
- Think "rats in the city," and many people are likely to envision the rodents who creep around in the Big Apple's alleyways and subway system. It's not New York City, though, but Chicago atop Orkin's list of the "rattiest" cities in America.
This Is the No.1
in the US
Jul 11, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
This Is the No.1 Stressed City in the US
Cleveland might have your stomach in knots, per WalletHub's rankings
- If you've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately, you're not alone—especially depending on where you live. WalletHub wanted to see what parts of the country were more frazzled than others, and so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining more...
In Swing State,
Jul 6, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
In Swing State, Biden Says He's Helping Workers
President attacks GOP in announcing completion of plan keeping pension funds solvent
- President Biden reassured a gathering of union workers in Ohio on Wednesday, telling them he'll protect them and their pensions. "Who is the backbone of this country? It's you, the American worker," Biden said at Max S. Hayes High School in Cleveland, the Hill reports. "...
Cleveland Is Trying to Gain
a New Nickname
Mar 27, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Cleveland Is Trying to Gain a New Nickname
Politico takes a look at 'Kindland'
- The concept of “kindness” is not hard to grasp, especially in contrast to things like cruelty, selfishness, and bullying. In Cleveland, it's the root of a brand, “ Kindland ,” launched in 2020 by an insurance salesman come social entrepreneur whose ultimate goal is “to make kindness...
Pair Face Prison After
Felling 'Irreplaceable' Tree
in case you missed it
Jan 16, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Pair Face Prison After Felling 'Irreplaceable' Tree
250-year-old black walnut tree, among Ohio's largest, was on park district land
- A brother and sister in Ohio could face prison after cutting down what a prosecutor describes as an "irreplaceable" black walnut tree, one of the largest in the state and perhaps more than 250 years old. "This is so ridiculous that they're doing this," Todd Jones,...
on COVID: 'Help'
Dec 20, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Ohio Hospitals' One-Word Plea on COVID: 'Help'
Medical centers in Cleveland area, Minnesota beg people to get vaxxed in major newspaper ads
- One word dominates a full-page advertisement that appeared in Sunday's
, Ohio's biggest newspaper. "Help," reads the bold-font plea, surrounded by white space, smack in the middle of the ad placed by the heads of six of the Cleveland area's medical facilities to try...
US Marshals Say They Solved
52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Nov 14, 2021 4:29 PM CST
US Marshals Say They Solved 52-Year-Old Robbery Case
Man who died peacefully at home was the culprit, they say
- A 20-year-old bank teller in Cleveland walked out of work with $215,000 in a paper bag in 1969, then disappeared. Ted Conrad was indicted but never found. Tom Randele died of cancer in May 2021 in Massachusetts, surrounded by his loving family. The US Marshals Service says they’re...
Donald Trump Really Hates
Cleveland Team's New Name
Jul 24, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
Donald Trump Really Hates Cleveland Team's New Name
Former president declared himself a 'FORMER' baseball fan
- Donald Trump is so mad about the Cleveland Guardians that he doesn’t even like baseball anymore. The former president weighed in on the Cleveland Major League Baseball team changing its name to the Guardians Friday. In a statement, Trump wrote that he is a “FORMER” baseball fan and...
Into Wrong Patient
Jul 13, 2021 4:19 PM CDT
Kidney Transplanted Into Wrong Patient
2 hospital employees are on administrative leave
- Getting the right organ into the right person is a crucial step in the organ transplant process, and an Ohio hospital system is trying to figure out how it went wrong. University Hospitals in Cleveland says a kidney intended for someone else ended up in the wrong patient in a...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
Simone Biles' Brother Acquitted,
Victim's Mom Lunges for Him
Jun 15, 2021 4:14 PM CDT
Simone Biles' Brother Acquitted, Victim's Mom Lunges for Him
'You killed my baby,' she screamed at Tevin Biles-Thomas
- "You killed my baby," a woman screamed as she ran toward Tevin Biles-Thomas in a makeshift courtroom in a Cleveland convention center complex Tuesday, moments after the 26-year-old was acquitted of a triple murder on New Year's Eve 2018. "You have to be f------ kidding me,...
Relief in Cleveland: 'We Can
Go On Because He's Dead'
Feb 9, 2021 7:44 AM CST
Relief in Cleveland: 'We Can Go On Because He's Dead'
Victims' families relieved after serial killer, rapist Anthony Sowell dies in prison hospital
- A serial killer and rapist who terrorized Cleveland before the bodies of 11 women were found on his property has died on death row. "Cleveland strangler" Anthony Sowell was moved Jan. 21 from Ohio's Chillicothe Correctional Institute to the end-of-life care unit at the Franklin Medical Center in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.