Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Human COVID Pills Could
Help Save Cyprus' Cats
Aug 10, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Human COVID Pills Could Help Save Cyprus' Cats
Thousands of felines have died since the start of the year
- Cyprus will make 80,000 anti-COVID pills that were intended for people available to veterinarians to treat the island's cats. The
reports a highly virulent strain of feline coronavirus—which can't be transmitted to humans—was detected in January in the island's capital of Nicosia. FCov-2023...
Woman Accused of Making Up
Rape Story Is Cleared
Jan 31, 2022 8:41 AM CST
Woman Accused of Making Up Rape Story Is Cleared
British teen who alleged gang-rape in Cyprus has her conviction for lying overturned
An explosive case involving allegations of gang rape has taken another turn. The Supreme Court in Cyprus has overturned the conviction of a British woman who was convicted of making up rape allegations in 2019, reports the AP . The woman initially told police that a group of Israeli men...
CEO Just Bought
a Passport to EU
Nov 10, 2020 8:54 AM CST
Report: Ex-Google CEO Just Bought a Passport to EU
Recode: Eric Schmidt has applied, been approved for citizenship in Cyprus in 'passport for sale' scheme
- Buried within the pages of a publication in Cyprus last month, a tiny notice appeared written in the Greek alphabet, except for one name written in English: "Eric Emerson Schmidt," of Atherton, Calif. That notice in
was an announcement of an application and approval for Cypriot citizenship,...
In 'Party Town,'
an Alleged Gang
Jan 7, 2020 9:45 AM CST
In 'Party Town,' an Alleged Gang Rape. Now, Accuser Is Sentenced
Teen gets 4-month suspended sentence for lying about Cyprus rape; she says retraction was coerced
- A judge in Cyprus says he's giving a "second chance" to a young woman who came before his bench, handing down a four-month sentence that's been suspended for three years after she was convicted of lying about being gang-raped. Per the BBC and the
, the unidentified...
Guy Actually Did This.
Then Posted the Video
Nov 2, 2019 1:23 PM CDT
Guy Actually Did This. Then Posted the Video
Driver in Cyprus allegedly drove his heavy vehicle with only 2 feet ... in socks
- Cypriot police have charged a man who allegedly drove his heavy vehicle on a main highway with only his feet on the wheel and live-streamed footage of the stunt, the AP reports. Police said Friday they managed to identify the 43-year-old suspect from the video, which was shown on social...
Serial Killer's 7th Victim:
Girl Wrapped in Bed Sheet
Jun 13, 2019 11:48 AM CDT
Serial Killer's 7th Victim: Girl Wrapped in Bed Sheet
Discovery brings 2-month search in Cyprus to a close
- Authorities in Cyprus say they've found the bodies of all seven victims of the island nation's first known serial killer —including that of two young girls. Decomposing remains believed to be of Sierra Granze, 6, were found wrapped in a bed sheet and tied to a cement...
In This Toxic Lake,
a Serial Killer's
in case you missed it
May 4, 2019 1:10 PM CDT
In This Toxic Lake, a Serial Killer's Victims
Cyprus is dealing with 'a form of crime unprecedented' for the country
- Investigators in Cyprus are currently looking for at least two suitcases at the bottom of a toxic lake. What they believe to be inside is gruesome: the remains of murdered females, two of seven women and girls that an unnamed Cypriot army captain allegedly admitted to killing. He has not...
He Found Hitler's
Horses. Now, a New
Find for Art World's
Nov 19, 2018 5:07 PM CST
He Found Hitler's Horses. Now, a New Find for Art World's 'Indiana Jones'
Stolen Byzantine mosaic of St. Mark recovered by Arthur Brand, returned to Cyprus
- Cyprus got quite a gift this weekend: a sixth-century mosaic that had been stolen in the '70s from a church about an hour outside the country's capital. The BBC reports that Arthur Brand—an investigator known as "the Indiana Jones of the art world"—recovered the...
for Healthy Diet
Now Known for
May 29, 2018 1:25 PM CDT
Region Known for Healthy Diet Now Known for Overweight Kids
For children, the 'Mediterranean diet is gone,' says researchers
- The Mediterranean diet is seen as one of the world's healthiest. Now, however, a new report suggests a surprising irony: Kids who live in the Mediterranean region are among the most overweight children in the world. For example, 43% of 9-year-old boys and girls in Cyprus are overweight or...
Manafort Had Murky Dealings
Routed Through Cyprus: Report
Mar 23, 2017 9:17 AM CDT
Manafort Had Murky Dealings Routed Through Cyprus: Report
Treasury investigating ex-Trump campaign chief's offshore financial transactions
- US Treasury Department agents have recently obtained information about offshore financial transactions involving President Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, as part of a federal anti-corruption probe into his work in Eastern Europe, the AP reports. Information about Manafort's transactions was turned over earlier this year to agents...
One of Europe's Longest
Conflicts May Finally End
Jan 10, 2017 2:03 PM CST
One of Europe's Longest Conflicts May Finally End
After 40 years, talks could reunify island of Cyprus
- It may not generate the headlines of other global conflicts, but the Mediterranean island of Cyprus has the distinction of being home to Europe's last divided capital city. After four decades, however, that might soon change. The island has been split between a Greece-controlled area and a smaller Turkey-controlled...
Sep 9, 2016 11:29 AM CDT
Suspected Meteor 'Explosion' Rocks Cyprus
Witnesses say it shook the ground
- Officials in Cyprus are baffled by reports that a meteor streaking across the nighttime sky exploded overhead with a thunderous bang. Police say eyewitnesses reported seeing a blue glow emanating from the object that raced over the east Mediterranean island's Troodos mountain range shortly before midnight Thursday, per the...
Best Man for
Jun 13, 2016 5:32 PM CDT
Priest Punches Best Man for Following Old Tradition
Irate priest in Cyprus lands more than one punch
- The best man slapped the groom on the back, which is an old Cypriot wedding custom. The priest punching the best man would be an innovation. But Cyprus police said Monday they are investigating an allegation that this happened at a wedding over the weekend, the AP reports. Police say...
Motive May Be 'Love'
Mar 29, 2016 6:30 AM CDT
Egypt Hijacker's Motive May Be 'Love'
It's now over: He's under arrest
- An EgyptAir plane with about 60 people aboard was hijacked Tuesday while flying from the coastal city of Alexandria to Cairo, and then forced to land in Cyprus, reports the AP . Fortunately, it appears to have ended without violence after hours of negotiations, with all aboard freed and the hijacker...
Rare Black Flamingo
Seen in Cyprus
Apr 9, 2015 6:15 PM CDT
Rare Black Flamingo Seen in Cyprus
It's hard to miss among its peers
- Bird watchers in Cyprus were doing double-takes this week at the sight of a black flamingo feeding at a salt lake. The bird was impossible to miss among its peers, and one conservation expert tells the
that it's the first one to visit the Mediterranean island in, well,...
Amulet Offers Up
Jan 4, 2015 1:52 PM CST
Amulet Offers Up 1.5K-Year-Old Palindrome
But ancient artifact discovered in Cyprus has a few mistakes
- It seems that palindromes—phrases that read the same forward and backward—have been popular for a very long time. Researchers have discovered an amulet in Cyprus dating back some 1,500 years, and the words inscribed form such a phrase, LiveScience reports. Translated from Greek, the words say, "...
Pay Us in Bitcoin
Nov 22, 2013 11:04 AM CST
University: Pay Us in Bitcoin
Drums up interest with master of science degree in digital currency
- First you could buy a condo with Bitcoin and now you can pay your tuition using the digital currency, too—if you attend Cyprus' University of Nicosia, that is. The school says it's the first university to offer fees payable in the currency feds are praising , and those with...
Big Cyprus Depositors
May Lose 60% of Money
Mar 30, 2013 11:11 AM CDT
Big Cyprus Depositors May Lose 60% of Money
That's way higher than first reported
- They call it a "haircut," but it's more like a scalping now. The Bank of Cyprus might end up taking 60% of the money held by rich depositors—about double previous estimates —reports the
. As part of the bailout deal, the bank will first...
—for 6 Hours
Mar 28, 2013 7:57 AM CDT
Cyprus Banks Finally Reopen —for 6 Hours
Customers face heavy restrictions on transactions
- After nearly two weeks shut amid a bailout scramble , Cyprus has just cautiously reopened its banks for six hours today—but it's not exactly business as usual. Trucks full of cash arrived at the central bank last night as rifle-bearing police and a helicopter stood guard. Private security guards...
Under Way in Cyprus
Mar 27, 2013 7:34 AM CDT
'Superhuman' Effort Under Way in Cyprus
Authorities scrambling to get capital controls in place
- Banks are set to open tomorrow in Cyprus, and that's not a task as easy as just unlocking the doors. As the AFP reports, a "superhuman" effort is under way to ready the banks in time, per the central bank governor. He made the comment yesterday, and not...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.