Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
She Was Kidnapped and Killed.
Her Dad Can't Get Funeral Visa
Dec 7, 2018 7:14 AM CST
She Was Kidnapped and Killed. Her Dad Can't Get Funeral Visa
NC Gov. Roy Cooper hopes authorities will reconsider
- The father of a North Carolina teen who was abducted from outside her Lumberton home on Nov. 5 and whose body was found after a three-week search has been blocked from attending her Saturday funeral. Noé Aguilar—the Guatemalan father of 13-year-old Hania Aguilar—was immediately denied a temporary visa...
He Took Part in an Atrocity,
Is Sentenced to 5,160 Years
Nov 23, 2018 4:09 AM CST
He Took Part in an Atrocity, Is Sentenced to 5,160 Years
Ex-Guatemalan special forces soldier Santos Lopez Alonzo was part of 1982 massacre
- Former Guatemalan special forces soldier Santos Lopez Alonzo has been sentenced to 5,160 years in prison—30 years for each of the 171 people whose killings he participated in during a 1982 massacre, and another 30 for the killing of a girl who originally survived the slaughter, the BBC...
There Might Soon Be
3 US-Bound Caravans
Oct 24, 2018 6:33 AM CDT
There Might Soon Be 3 US-Bound Caravans
Group plans to leave El Salvador next week, as Honduran stragglers move north
- If the Honduran migrant caravan making its way toward to the US southern border is "the gift that keeps on giving for Donald Trump's midterm elections," as the
suggests, then a second caravan forming in El Salvador may be the bow on top. An internal report...
Trump Calls Migrant Caravan
a National Emergency
Oct 22, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Trump Calls Migrant Caravan a National Emergency
Thousands of Central Americans marching north are now in Mexico
- The size of a migrant caravan marching north toward the US border is increasing in size even as President Trump escalates his rhetoric. In a series of tweets Monday, Trump called the caravan a national emergency, blamed Democrats for weak immigration laws, asserted that "criminals and unknown Middle Easterners"...
Migrant Caravan Re-Forms
in Mexico, Marches Northward
Oct 21, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Migrant Caravan Re-Forms in Mexico, Marches Northward
Migrants stream across Guatemala-Mexico border, vote to keep going
- Days after trying to break down the fence at the Guatemala-Mexico border , a mass caravan of migrants appears largely unbent in their desire to reach the United States, reports the AP . Their numbers swelled to about 5,000 overnight and at first light they set out walking toward the Mexican...
61K Hidden Structures
Reveal 'Unimaginable' Mayans
Sep 29, 2018 3:10 PM CDT
61K Hidden Structures Reveal 'Unimaginable' Mayans
Archaeologists look at the details of earlier LIDAR survey
- Maya civilization was no mere collection of city states using slash-and-burn farming—that we learned earlier this year . Now archaeologists are looking deeper into an airborne survey that revealed a formidable civilization double the size of medieval England at its peak 1,200 years ago, Ars Technica reports. The survey,...
Limestone Altar Reveals
Secret of Mayan Rule
Sep 15, 2018 12:45 PM CDT
Limestone Altar Reveals Secret of Mayan Rule
Guatemalan engraving may reveal how rival dynasty defeated Tikal
- How do you conquer a powerful Mayan city-state? Forge a political dynasty, ally with smaller surrounding cities, and slowly envelop until you become leader of the Serpent Kingdom—at least according to one take on a newly unveiled Mayan altar, the AP reports. Discovered in 2017 at the Guatemalan site...
A Reunion for
Separated at Border
Aug 8, 2018 2:49 PM CDT
A Reunion for Mom, 6-Year-Old Separated at Border
Pair is among those returned to Guatemala from US
- Nine Guatemalan child migrants who were taken from their parents at the US border arrived home for tearful reunions Tuesday as the Trump administration tries to comply with a court order to return hundreds of separated minors to their families. "I want to see my mama," the AP...
'Volcano of Fire'
Death Toll Could
Be in the Hundreds
Jun 6, 2018 7:23 AM CDT
'Volcano of Fire' Death Toll Could Be in the Hundreds
It wiped an entire village off the map.
- At least 75 people are now confirmed dead in the eruption of Guatemala's "Volcano of Fire" and authorities fear the true death toll could be in the hundreds. At least 192 people are missing and one village, El Rodeo, has been almost completely wiped off the map by...
'Volcano of Fire'
Jun 4, 2018 3:33 AM CDT
'Volcano of Fire' Erupts Explosively, Killing Dozens
It sent a river of lava into Guatemalan villages
- Guatemala's Volcan de Fuego—"Volcano of Fire"—lived up to its name on Sunday with an explosive eruption that killed at least 25 people. The volcano, around 27 miles southwest of Guatemala City, spewed rocks and ash into the air and the country's National Disaster Management...
Has Been 'Grossly
Feb 2, 2018 7:57 AM CST
Mayan Civilization Has Been 'Grossly Underestimated'
60K structures, including a pyramid, revealed in Guatemala
- Only a handful of ancient Mayan temples rise above a dense jungle of trees in Guatemala. But what's obscured by the thick foliage, revealed for the first time, is evidence of a sprawling civilization to rival ancient Greece or China. Using LiDAR technology (Light Detection And Ranging), which measures...
Another Country Follows
Trump's Lead on Israel
Dec 25, 2017 10:33 AM CST
Another Country Follows Trump's Lead on Israel
Guatemala says it also will move its embassy to Jerusalem
- Guatemala's president says the Central American country will move its embassy in Israel to Jerusalem, becoming the first nation to follow the lead of President Trump in ordering the change, per the AP . Guatemala was one of nine nations that voted with the United States and Israel on Thursday...
They Were Injected With STDs.
Now They Want Justice
Sep 1, 2017 3:13 PM CDT
They Were Injected With STDs. Now They Want Justice
Federal judge gives go-ahead for $1B lawsuit on 'Guatemala Experiment'
- Nearly 850 victims and relatives are celebrating a "significant win" after a Baltimore federal judge allowed attorneys to proceed with a $1 billion lawsuit (initially dismissed last year) against Johns Hopkins University and others involving a 1940s offshore disease test. The
reports on the "Guatemala Experiment,...
Gov Busted in
Apr 16, 2017 9:07 AM CDT
Fugitive Mexican Gov Busted in Tourist Town
Javier Duarte abruptly quit amid corruption allegations, fled to Guatemala
- The former governor of Mexico's Veracruz state who is accused of running a corruption ring that allegedly pilfered millions of dollars from state coffers was detained in Guatemala after six months as a fugitive and high-profile symbol of government graft in his country. Javier Duarte, pale and visibly tired,...
Alleged Child Rapist
Apr 14, 2017 1:55 AM CDT
Alleged Child Rapist Caught After Flight Delayed
Cops say he was trying to flee to Guatemala
- An accused child rapist who tried to flee from Maryland to Guatemala was thwarted by bad weather, authorities say. Sergio Morales Soto, 19, was arrested on board a flight at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport the day after the alleged April 4 rape, the
reports. After he was...
Fire Sweeps Through Crowded
Children's Shelter, Killing 22
Mar 9, 2017 12:14 AM CST
Fire Sweeps Through Crowded Children's Shelter, Killing 22
Guatemalan officials say youths were rioting
- A fire swept through the female section of a crowded children's shelter near Guatemala City early Wednesday and officials said at least 22 girls died and dozens more were injured. Photos from inside the shelter showed blue sheets covering sneaker-clad bodies and bits of foam mattresses in what appeared...
Victims of Horrific
Still Wait in Pain
Mar 1, 2017 1:29 PM CST
Victims of Horrific 1940s Study Still Wait in Pain
Slate describes their fight to get compensation
- In 2010, Hillary Clinton was among those to apologize on behalf of the US for horrific medical experiments that government researchers performed on Guatemalans in the 1940s. More than 1,000 were infected with STDs without their consent and at least 83 died as researchers sought to prevent illness in...
Jan 24, 2017 7:33 AM CST
Maya Weathered One Collapse; the Second Proved Fatal
Hundreds of years apart, the collapses were eerily similar: study
- The Maya civilization suffered "waves" of war and political instability before its collapse in the 2nd century. The civilization later recovered, but history would repeat itself just a few hundred years later, delivering a final blow, researchers explain in a
study offering a clear chronology of the civilization'...
Oct 26, 2015 12:33 AM CDT
Comedian Elected Guatemalan President
He promises free smartphones, anti-corruption drive
- Guatemalans are hoping the joker they just elected will be better than the crook they just got rid of . Jimmy Morales, a TV comedian with no political experience, has been elected president with a whopping 72% of the vote, defeating former first lady Sandra Torres, reports the BBC , which notes...
Death Toll in Guatemala Mudslide Reaches 56
Oct 3, 2015 4:14 PM CDT
Death Toll in Guatemala Mudslide Reaches 56
More than 300 people are still missing
- A Guatemalan emergency official says the number of people killed when a hillside collapsed Friday on more than 100 homes has risen to 56. Julio Sanchez, a spokesperson for Guatemala's volunteer firefighters, says officials estimate that 350 people remain missing. The previous death toll was 30 and estimates of...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Here's What People Are Saying After Biden's State of the Union
After Tyre Nichols' Beating, a Pic Began Making the Rounds
Elian Gonzalez Is Making Headlines Again
Finding Puts 'Extra Nail in the Coffin' on Neanderthal Theory
Marjorie Taylor Greene Calls Out, 'Liar!'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.