Nutella Jar Blamed in House Fire

Investigators in London say empty jar caught sun's rays
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Feb 25, 2015 5:14 PM CST
Nutella Jar Blamed in House Fire
The jar in question was empty at the time, say fire investigators.   (Shutterstock)

London's firefighters say sun rays refracted by a Nutella jar likely caused a house fire. Investigators believe the glass jar—which had been emptied of the hazelnut spread—had been placed on a window sill and refracted sunlight, setting blinds alight. According to a statement posted by the brigade, the family was not at home, but the blaze killed a dog. "It sounds far-fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire, but that's exactly what happened," says an investigator. (More fire stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.