The ugly celebrity trial between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard has included all kinds of disturbing allegations. But one unusual aspect surfaced in court on Monday: Depp never looks directly at his ex-wife during the proceedings. As People and Yahoo Entertainment report, the topic came up during an exchange between Heard and Depp attorney Camille Vasquez:
- Vasquez: "Mr. Depp hasn't looked at you once this entire trial, has he?"
- Heard: "Not that I've noticed, no."
- Vasquez: "You've looked at him though many times, haven't you?"
- Heard: "Yes I have."
- Vasquez: "You know exactly why Mr. Depp won't look back at you, don't you? ... He promised you would never see his eyes again, isn't that true?"
- A recording: When Heard said she didn't recall if he said that, the court heard a tape recording from one of their last encounters in which Depp tells her, "We won't have to see each other again. ... You will not see my eyes again."
- Vasquez: "He kept that promise, hasn't he?"
- Heard: "As far as I know, he cannot look at me."
- Vasquez: "He won't look at you, right Ms. Heard?"
- Heard: "He can't."
A spokesperson for Heard previously criticized Depp for the behavior in court, saying the actor "does not have the courage to even look at Ms. Heard." Vasquez appeared to be stressing the point that Heard had met with Depp after accusing him of domestic violence. (Read more Johnny Depp