US /

Army 'Warned on Wiring' Before Soldier's Electrocution

Sergeant filed work order after being shocked in the shower
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Jul 31, 2008 12:31 PM CDT
Army 'Warned on Wiring' Before Soldier's Electrocution
This undated photo shows Cheryl Harris with her son Staff Sgt. Ryan Maseth. Ryan, 24, was electrocuted in his shower in Iraq on Jan. 2, 2008.    (AP Photo)

A sergeant warned Army administrators about faulty wiring months before a soldier was electrocuted in a shower at the same quarters, CNN reports. "Pipes have voltage, get shocked in the shower," he wrote in a work order. A House committee probing the electrocution deaths in Iraq had previously heard there was no evidence the Pentagon or contractor KBR knew of electrical problems at the facility.

A KBR executive blamed the accidents on the Army. "The reality is that KBR's actions were not the cause of any of these terrible accidents," he told investigators. "The responsibility lies with the Army." (More Iraq stories.)

Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.