Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Condoleezza Rice Urges
Bold Shift on Ukraine
Jan 8, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Condoleezza Rice Urges Bold Shift on Ukraine
She and Robert Gates call for 'dramatic increase' in US military aid and equipment
- By nearly all accounts, Russia's war in Ukraine is not going Vladimir Putin's way. But two former diplomatic heavyweights for the US warn that it probably won't last. In their
op-ed, former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice and former defense chief Robert Gates note that...
From All 10
Jan 4, 2021 6:39 AM CST
From All 10 Ex-Defense Secretaries, an 'Exceptional' Op-Ed
They note Biden has won, warn the military has no place getting involved in any election disputes
- "The time for questioning the results has passed; the time for the formal counting of the electoral college votes, as prescribed in the Constitution and statute, has arrived." So reads an unusual op-ed that appeared Sunday in the
, co-signed by all 10 living ex-defense secretaries. The...
Dec 14, 2016 9:45 AM CST
Tillerson Wasn't Trump's Idea. The Source May Surprise
Robert Gates, Condoleezza Rice suggested him: reports
- Donald Trump's pick for secretary of state wasn't exactly his—at least not initially. Just two weeks ago, Trump was torn in trying to choose from one of four leading contenders: Rudy Giuliani, Mitt Romney, Bob Corker, or David Petreaus. Then the name of Rex Tillerson surfaced. The...
Bob Gates to
End Ban on
May 21, 2015 1:05 PM CDT
Bob Gates to Boy Scouts: End Ban on Gay Leaders
Group's president says 'status quo cannot be sustained'
- Former secretary of Defense and current president of the Boy Scouts of America Robert Gates had some tough talk for his organization today,
reports, telling the Scouts' annual meeting that it was time to set aside the group's controversial ban on gay leaders. "I must speak...
SUNDAY TALK SHOWS
Sep 21, 2014 12:07 PM CDT
Pete King: White House Breach Was 'Inexcusable'
Calls for hearings on failure to stop 'basic' attack
- The White House fence-jumper was an "absolutely inexcusable" security breach, and Politico reports that Peter King wasted no time today in calling for a "full investigation into what happened, why it happened and what needs to be done to make sure it never happens again." The New...
Real Keen on
Jun 4, 2014 12:44 PM CDT
Clinton Wasn't Real Keen on Bergdahl Deal
Inside the administration debate
- Hillary Clinton offered a less-than-ringing endorsement of the Bowe Bergdahl prisoner swap yesterday, calling the administration's no-man-left-behind ideal "noble," but adding, "I think we have a long way to go before we really know how this is going to play out." Which isn't surprising,...
TALK SHOW ROUNDUP
Mar 9, 2014 1:12 PM CDT
Robert Gates: Crimea 'Gone' to Russia
Former defense sec says critics could lay off Obama while he handles crisis
- Vladimir Putin has a new piece of his empire, Robert Gates said today. "I do not believe that Crimea will slip out of Russia's hand," the former defense secretary told Fox News. Asked by Chris Wallace, "You think Crimea's gone?" Gates responded , "I do....
'Was Not Unfair'
Jan 12, 2014 2:00 PM CST
Robert Gates: Obama Bashing 'Was Not Unfair'
Former defense secretary takes on backlash over 'Duty'
- Robert Gates today took on the backlash that greeted his memoir,
, Politico reports, saying that his criticisms of the Obama administration were relatively restrained and justified. "My one concern was that over the course of 2010 and early 2011, the president began to have his own reservations about...
Gates Book: Obama Lost
Faith in Own Afghan Strategy
Jan 7, 2014 7:01 PM CST
Gates Book: Obama Lost Faith in Own Afghan Strategy
Ex-defense chief also admires Hillary but thinks Joe Biden is wrong, a lot
- A memoir by former defense chief Robert Gates alleges that President Obama lost faith in his own Afghanistan mission, according to accounts in the
New York Times
. Gates recalls a meeting in 2011 in which Obama expresses frustration with Gen. David Petraeus and Hamid Karzai: “As...
Medal of Freedom
Jun 30, 2011 11:20 AM CDT
Obama Gives Retiring Gates Medal of Freedom
Today is outgoing defense secretary's last day
- President Obama today honored outgoing Defense Secretary Robert Gates' four decades of service, including the past 4 1/2 years in charge of the Pentagon, by surprising him with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest US honor a president can give a civilian. "I can think of no better...
Jun 28, 2011 7:20 AM CDT
What We've Learned From Robert Gates
A look back at the retiring defense secretary's career
- With Robert Gates, who has served eight presidents over four decades, about to retire, the
looks back at how Gates operated in the Pentagon. He’s been “careful, conservative, and consensus-oriented,” writes Greg Jaffe, and he’s “earned a reputation as the most ruthlessly efficient...
TALK SHOW ROUNDUP
Jun 19, 2011 11:51 AM CDT
Robert Gates: Taliban Talks 'Preliminary'
Says he wouldn't expect real progress until at least winter
- Robert Gates confirmed today that the US is in "preliminary" talks with the Taliban, reports the Hill, cautioning that they've only been going on for a "few weeks." Appearing on
State of the Union
Fox News Sunday,
the outgoing defense secretary said the State Department...
Pentagon: Wait Til Fall 2012
to End Afghanistan Surge
Jun 17, 2011 7:13 AM CDT
Pentagon: Wait Til Fall 2012 to End Afghanistan Surge
Military pushes for slow withdrawal as Obama weighs next move
- The military has called on President Obama to keep the Afghanistan troop surge in place until the fall of next year, ensuring that many of the 33,000 extra troops remain in the country for the next two fighting seasons, when the weather is warm. The military wants to avoid...
Rails Against US Ties
Jun 16, 2011 10:46 AM CDT
Pakistan Army Rails Against US Ties
Relations between US and Pakistani security forces hit nadir
- The US-Pakistan security alliance has deteriorated so badly that Pakistani officers actually jeered top general Ashfaq Kayani at a town-hall-style meeting last month, demanding to know why Pakistan still supports US policy, officials tell the
. That kind of open criticism “is something no Pakistani military commander has...
Gates: NATO Full
Jun 10, 2011 7:39 AM CDT
Gates: NATO Full of Freeloaders
Outgoing defense secretary says US picking up tab for Europe's defense
- Robert Gates had some harsh words for NATO today, saying that many of the US’ allies are “apparently willing and eager for American taxpayers to assume the growing security burden left by reductions in European defense budgets.” Gates was speaking at a think tank in Brussels, where his...
Jun 7, 2011 10:26 AM CDT
Pentagon Opposes Quick Afghanistan Exit
'We shouldn't let up on the gas,' Gates warns
- The military is digging in its heels against the idea of a swift withdrawal from Afghanistan. “I think we shouldn’t let up on the gas too much, at least for the next few months,” Robert Gates told troops yesterday, as he finished his final trip to Afghanistan...
Obama Weighs Quicker Afghanistan Pullout
Jun 6, 2011 7:48 AM CDT
Obama Weighs Quicker Afghanistan Pullout
But Gates, Petraeus point to risks
- With Osama bin Laden dead and war costs increasing, the Obama administration is weighing a sharper drawdown of troops from Afghanistan than it had planned, the
New York Times
reports. But the issue is still very much up in the air, and outgoing defense secretary Robert Gates advocates slower steps....
Jun 4, 2011 6:49 AM CDT
Robert Gates Makes Farewell Afghanistan Trip
Defense secretary underscores need for success
- US Defense Secretary Robert Gates flew to Afghanistan today in an unannounced visit to say farewell to US troops and Afghan leaders. Gates, who is retiring at the end of the month, planned to meet with soldiers and Marines in eastern and southern Afghanistan. He also was holding talks with...
May 14, 2011 10:38 AM CDT
Rebels Leave White House Without Recognition
Libyan coalition fails to secure recognition as legitimate interim governing body
- Libyan rebels just can't quite get what they want from the White House. A meeting between a delegation of rebels and US national security advisers yesterday ended with a statement from the US calling the Libyan Transitional National Council a “legitimate and credible interlocutor of the Libyan people”...
40 Tense Minutes
Inside the Situation Room
'We've ID'D GERONIMO'
May 2, 2011 6:41 PM CDT
40 Tense Minutes Inside the Situation Room
Obama's order was fraught with risk
- It was a daring gambit: Invade another nation's airspace, raid a compound, bag the world's most notorious terrorist, and get your troops out alive—all on the 50% to 80% chance Osama bin Laden was even there to begin with. Once President Obama ordered the raid on the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
Man Flees After Child Exposed to Fentanyl Dies at Wife's Daycare
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.