Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
contempt of court
Stories 1 - 20 |
Justice Department Asks Judge
to Hold Trump in Contempt
Dec 8, 2022 7:25 PM CST
Justice Department Asks Judge to Hold Trump in Contempt
Issue is whether former president is in compliance with subpoena seeking classified documents
- At a hearing Friday, a federal judge will be asked to hold a former president in contempt of court. The Justice Department has made the request of US District Judge Beryl Howell, CNN reports, saying former President Donald Trump and his lawyers have failed to comply with a subpoena issued...
Judge Halts Trump's
May 11, 2022 2:57 PM CDT
Judge Halts Trump's $10K-a-Day Fines
But former president needs to cough up $110K
- A judge in New York has halted the $10,000-per-day fines Donald Trump has been racking up since he was held in contempt of court last month—but New York Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron's conditions for lifting the contempt order include payment of $110,000 in accrued fines....
Judge on Trump's
Where Are All
Apr 30, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Judge on Trump's Contempt Charge: Where Are All the Post-Its?
Trump claims in affidavit he doesn't have docs sought by subpoena; Justice Arthur Engoron rejects that
- Donald Trump's legal team continues to try to get him out of being held in contempt of court , but on Friday, a New York judge wasn't biting. On Monday, Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron held the former president in contempt and ordered him to pay a $10,...
Trump Appeals Decision
to Fine Him $10K Per Day
Apr 27, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Trump Appeals Decision to Fine Him $10K Per Day
New York judge held former president in contempt of court in civil case Monday
As expected, former President Trump has appealed a New York judge's decision to hold him in contempt of court and fine him $10,000 per day for failing to comply with a subpoena for documents in a civil case. The AP reports Trump's lawyer, Alina Habba, argued...
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying
Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Jan 26, 2022 6:32 AM CST
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Treasure hunter Tommy Thompson has 2 months to find new lawyer in contempt of court case
- The long-running case of a former deep-sea treasure hunter marking his sixth year in jail for refusing to disclose the whereabouts of missing gold coins has hit yet another roadblock. Research scientist Tommy Thompson has been held in contempt of court since Dec. 15, 2015, for that refusal. He's...
He Once Ruled South Africa.
Now, a Prison Sentence
Jun 29, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
He Once Ruled South Africa. Now, a Prison Sentence
High court finds Jacob Zuma in contempt of court in corruption case, gives him 15 months in jail
- Jacob Zuma's legal problems just worsened. Last month, the former president of South Africa pleaded not guilty to corruption, fraud, and other charges tied to a multibillion-dollar arms deal in 1999, when he was the deputy president. On Tuesday, the Constitutional Court of South Africa, the nation's highest...
for $100K Over
Dec 31, 2019 8:28 AM CST
Alex Jones, Infowars Hit for $100K Over Sandy Hook
Judge orders conspiracy theorist to pay court costs, legal fees to family of slain Newtown boy Jesse Lewis
- Alex Jones and his Infowars website haven't even gone to trial yet regarding a lawsuit brought against him by a Sandy Hook family, but the case has already put him nearly $130,000 in the hole, not counting his own expenses. Per the Daily Beast , in addition to an...
Judge Holds DeVos in
Contempt Over Student Loans
Oct 25, 2019 9:28 AM CDT
Judge Holds DeVos in Contempt Over Student Loans
Court finds Education Department disregarded order to stop collecting on loans of 16K
- Education Secretary Betsy Devos was held in contempt of court and handed a $100,000 fine Thursday for violating a federal judge's order to stop collecting on certain student loans. The move came after the Education Department was told in May 2018 to stop collecting on the loans of...
Lawyer Gets in Trouble
Over Duct-Tape Incident
Jul 27, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Lawyer Gets in Trouble Over Duct-Tape Incident
Attorney Michael Gregory can no longer take his cellphone to court
- A Louisiana district judge has found a public defender in contempt of court after he filmed a bailiff duct-taping a defendant's mouth during a sentencing hearing this month, the AP reports. The
reports state District Judge Marilyn Castle barred attorney Michael Gregory from bringing a cellphone into...
Contempt Vote Delayed
After Trump Asserts Privilege
Jun 12, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Contempt Vote Delayed After Trump Asserts Privilege
At issue are subpoenaed census documents
- The Justice Department on Tuesday warned of the move, and on Wednesday it came to pass. President Trump has exerted executive privilege over documents related to his administration's addition of a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The
reports those documents include drafts of a letter penned by...
Chelsea Manning Sent to
Jail for Contempt of Court
Mar 8, 2019 2:30 PM CST
Chelsea Manning Sent to Jail for Contempt of Court
Judge says she won't get out until she testifies or grand jury finishes work
- On Thursday, Chelsea Manning said she'd stand her ground and refuse to testify in front of a secret grand jury investigating WikiLeaks. "I am prepared to face the consequences of my refusal," she said in a statement . Those consequences came Friday, with Manning taken into custody after...
Judge Halts Deportation,
Warns Jeff Sessions
Aug 10, 2018 4:26 AM CDT
Judge Halts Deportation, Warns Jeff Sessions
He says AG could be held in contempt
- On learning that the mother and daughter at the center of a lawsuit before him were being deported, a federal judge called the move "outrageous" and ordered its reversal. US District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan warned Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Homeland Security officials that they could be held...
Man's Mouth Duct-Taped Shut
Twice as He's Sentenced
Aug 2, 2018 10:30 AM CDT
Man's Mouth Duct-Taped Shut Twice as He's Sentenced
Ohio judge says Franklyn Williams wouldn't stop talking
- A report on a judge imposing a gag order has likely never been so literal. Cleveland.com reports Franklyn Williams' mouth was covered with red duct tape as he was sentenced to 24 years in prison Tuesday after being convicted on armed robbery charges. The 32-year-old reportedly repeatedly kept speaking...
Her Religious Beliefs Sent Her
to Jail. Now They May Free Her
Mar 12, 2018 8:44 AM CDT
Her Religious Beliefs Sent Her to Jail. Now They May Free Her
Investigator was held in contempt of court in death penalty case, but now, a 'dramatic change'
- Greta Lindecrantz was sent to jail due to her religious convictions, and now, after two weeks behind bars, those religious convictions, as well as a "dramatic change in circumstance," will apparently set her free. Lindecrantz, a criminal defense investigator, was held in contempt of court Feb. 26 for...
Jailed Mom 'Shocked'
by Son's Vaccination
Oct 12, 2017 12:55 AM CDT
Jailed Mom 'Shocked' by Son's Vaccination
She loses primary custody after court hearing
- A Michigan mother who went to jail for refusing to have her 9-year-old son vaccinated says she was "devastated" to learn that the boy had his shots while she was behind bars and he was in the custody of her ex-husband. Rebecca Bredow, who says vaccination goes against her...
She Refused to Vaccinate Her
Son. Now She's Headed to Jail
Oct 4, 2017 2:02 PM CDT
She Refused to Vaccinate Her Son. Now She's Headed to Jail
Rebecca Bredow found in contempt of court Wednesday
- A Michigan woman was sentenced to seven days in jail on Wednesday after refusing to have her 9-year-old son vaccinated, the AP reports. According to WXYZ , judge Karen McDonald found Rebecca Bredow in contempt of court for ignoring a court order to have her son immunized. Bredow had agreed to...
Arpaio to Plead
With Judge to
Aug 30, 2017 9:25 AM CDT
Arpaio to Plead With Judge to Toss Conviction
His lawyers will present oral arguments on Oct. 4
- Joe Arpaio has asked an Arizona judge to vacate his contempt of court conviction, arguing a presidential pardon "warrants an automatic vacatur of all opinions, judgments, and verdicts related to the criminal charge." But he'll have to come up with a bit more than that. On Tuesday,...
Ex-Treasure Hunter Again
Told to Give Up Coins' Location
Apr 23, 2017 3:32 PM CDT
Ex-Treasure Hunter Again Told to Give Up Coins' Location
Tommy Thompson has been in prison nearly 500 days
- A federal judge is warning an ex-treasure hunter that he could face another contempt-of-court charge if he doesn't reveal the location of 500 missing gold coins. Ohio Judge Algenon Marbley on Friday ordered Tommy Thompson to cooperate by granting power of attorney to allow the government to figure out...
White House Fence Jumper
Found Dangling, Arrested Again
Mar 27, 2017 12:37 AM CDT
White House Fence Jumper Found Dangling, Arrested Again
Marci Anderson Wahl really wants to talk to President Trump
- Marci Anderson Wahl, a persistent but apparently not particularly dangerous White House fence jumper, was arrested early Sunday after scaling a section of the fence near the Treasury Building, the Secret Service says. This was the third arrest in less than a week for the 38-year-old resident of Everett, Wash....
Mom Laughs During Daughter's
Hearing, Gets Sent to Jail
Mar 1, 2017 3:10 AM CST
Mom Laughs During Daughter's Hearing, Gets Sent to Jail
She disrupted victim impact statement
- A Michigan mom who laughed during her daughter's sentencing hearing for killing a man while driving drunk ended up in jail herself. Wayne County Circuit Judge Qiana Lillard scolded the family of 25-year-old Amanda Kosal for giggling while the dead man's sister gave a victim impact statement last...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.