Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Possible 'Planet Killer' Asteroid
Found in Earth's Orbital Path
Oct 31, 2022 2:59 PM CDT
Possible 'Planet Killer' Asteroid Found in Earth's Orbital Path
Future generations will want to keep an eye on it
- Astronomers have discovered a new asteroid in our neighborhood: it's more than a mile wide, and its orbit around the sun crosses the Earth’s path, making it a potential "planet killer," according to a
New York Times
report on the rock known as 2022 APY
NASA Has Successfully
Nudged an Asteroid
Oct 11, 2022 5:13 PM CDT
NASA Has Successfully Nudged an Asteroid
It was the world's first attempt to alter the position of a celestial body
- A spacecraft that plowed into a small, harmless asteroid millions of miles away succeeded in shifting its orbit, NASA said Tuesday in announcing the results of its save-the-world test. The space agency attempted the test two weeks ago to see if in the future a killer rock could be nudged...
Here's Visual Proof That
Our Asteroid Slam Worked
Oct 5, 2022 11:36 AM CDT
Here's Visual Proof That Our Asteroid Slam Worked
DART's collision with Dimorphos asteroid confirmed by 6.2K-mile-long debris trail
- Astronomers know for certain that NASA's DART spacecraft slammed into a distant asteroid in a test of whether Earth-threatening space rocks might be diverted, because that asteroid is spewing a whole lot of rock and dust. Two days after the Sept. 26 Double Asteroid Redirection Test, a telescope in...
Is a Hit for NASA
Sep 26, 2022 6:57 PM CDT
Asteroid-Slamming Mission Is a Hit for NASA
Stakes of the test are high, NASA administrator says
: The NASA spacecraft DART intentionally slammed into the asteroid Dimorphos at 14,000mph on Monday. It could be weeks, however, before NASA knows how much the impact changed the path of the asteroid, the AP reports. Telescopes on Earth and in space were pointed at the spot in anticipation;...
How to Watch Monday's
Collision With Asteroid
Sep 26, 2022 7:47 AM CDT
How to Watch Monday's Collision With Asteroid
NASA will be live-streaming the deliberate smash in the evening
- It's not every day you get to watch a spacecraft smash into an asteroid , but Monday just happens to be one. In fact, the impact is expected to occur at precisely 7:14pm Eastern, and it will be streamed at NASA Live . Outlets including Space.com and CNET also...
May Have Had a Friend
Aug 18, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Dinosaur-Killing Asteroid May Have Had a Friend
Fossils suggest 5-mile-wide crater off West Africa is also 66M years old
- The 6-mile-wide asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs 66 million years ago may have had a baby cousin that struck on the opposite side of the Atlantic Ocean. Dr. Uisdean Nicholson of Scotland's Heriot-Watt University discovered a hidden depression of a similar age as the Chicxulub Crater in Mexico...
of the Year
May 24, 2022 7:33 AM CDT
This Week Brings Biggest Asteroid Flyby of the Year
Those with telescopes may be able to see 7335
- Sky watchers of the professional and amateur varieties are keeping an eye on the heavens this week to spot a giant asteroid zipping by. The rock dubbed 7335 (1989 JA) will be closest to Earth on Friday, reports Live Science . This one just happens to be the largest asteroid expected...
NASA: Fireball Over South Was
10 Times Brighter Than Moon
Apr 29, 2022 5:01 AM CDT
NASA: Fireball Over South Was 10 Times Brighter Than Moon
Chunk of asteroid exploded over Louisiana
- NASA has confirmed that a fireball seen over three Southern states this week was a piece of an asteroid around a foot across that exploded 34 miles above a swampy area in Louisiana. The agency says around 30 people in Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana reported sightings. The meteor, which weighed...
Scientist: This Dinosaur Died
on the Day of Asteroid Strike
Apr 7, 2022 12:23 PM CDT
Scientist: This Dinosaur Died on the Day of Asteroid Strike
Leg was among many finds at North Dakota site that preserved the 'death blow'
- The asteroid that hit the Earth around 66 million years ago brought an abrupt end to the Cretaceous period—and to the life of a
dinosaur whose incredibly well-preserved leg was found at a North Dakota site. Researchers say they can pinpoint the day of the dinosaur's death...
He Discovered an
in case you missed it
Mar 20, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
He Discovered an Asteroid—Then Its Earth-Bound Path
It soon after struck Earth's atmosphere over Norwegian sea, as NASA system predicted
- An asteroid was spotted for the first time Friday only about two hours before it entered into Earth's atmosphere. NASA's early warning system that detects near-Earth objects was put to the test after astronomer Krisztián Sarneczky at the Piszkésteto Observatory in northern Hungary notified the Minor...
The Quest for Fair Skin Leads
to 'Serious Adverse Effects'
Nov 27, 2021 8:00 AM CST
The Quest for Fair Skin Leads to 'Serious Adverse Effects'
In India, topical steroid creams that lighten skin cause painful side effects
- Since 2018, you shouldn't be able to buy a "fairness cream" over the counter in India. That was the year the government required that 14 topical steroid creams be made available only with a doctor's prescription. And yet CNN was recently able to purchase four types of...
Is Now On
Its Way to
Nov 24, 2021 6:32 AM CST
NASA Rocket Is Now On Its Way to Dimorphos
Spacecraft has launched on mission to slam into asteroid, knock it off course
NASA's experiment to have a spacecraft smash into an asteroid is underway, but we won't know if it's successful for about a year. The
reports that the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, part of the agency's DART mission to slam into the Dimorphos space rock,...
Odds on Asteroid
Hit Going Up
Aug 12, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Odds on Asteroid Hit Going Up
It's still very unlikely Bennu will strike in the next century
- The good news is that scientists have a better handle on asteroid Bennu's whereabouts for the next 200 years. The bad news is that the space rock considered one of the two most hazardous known asteroids in our solar system has a slightly greater chance of clobbering Earth than...
For Dinosaurs, Asteroid
Was Just a Final Blow
Jul 1, 2021 1:26 PM CDT
For Dinosaurs, Asteroid Was Just a Final Blow
Study suggests species were struggling before the big collision
- You've heard how an asteroid strike 66 million years ago wiped out the dinosaurs . But there's more to the story, according to a new study, which suggests non-avian dinosaurs weren't doing so hot before sulfates and dust filled the atmosphere—some 10 million years before, in fact....
It Killed the Dinosaurs, but Then
It Gave Birth to Something Else
Apr 6, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
It Killed the Dinosaurs, but Then It Gave Birth to Something Else
You can thank the Chicxulub impact for our modern rainforests: study
- We owe a lot to the asteroid impact that killed the dinosaurs 66 million years ago. For one thing, it gave us the lush tropical rainforests that help keep our planet healthy. That's according to a first-of-its-kind study published Friday in
that looks at the effects of the...
NASA Nicks Near-Earth
Asteroid From 'Risk List'
Mar 28, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
NASA Nicks Near-Earth Asteroid From 'Risk List'
We're safe for 100 years
- Whew, now here's some good cosmic news: NASA has given Earth the all clear for the next century from a particularly menacing asteroid, per the AP . The space agency announced this week that new telescope observations have ruled out any chance of Apophis smacking Earth in 2068. That’...
Asteroid 'Firework' Exploded
With Force of 440lbs of TNT
Mar 10, 2021 7:28 AM CST
Asteroid 'Firework' Exploded With Force of 440lbs of TNT
It was seen from 4 US states and Canada
- People in Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York, and Quebec, Canada, claim to have witnessed an asteroid breaking up in the sky on Sunday, which turned out to be rattling. Many people reported hearing a rumble or sonic boom as a 10-pound bowling ball-sized chunk of an asteroid—traveling at...
Japan Describes What
It Got From That Asteroid
Dec 24, 2020 7:42 AM CST
Japan Describes What It Got From That Asteroid
Chips that look like charcoal
- They resemble small fragments of charcoal, but the soil samples collected from an asteroid and returned to Earth by a Japanese spacecraft were hardly disappointing. The samples Japanese space officials described Thursday are as big as 0.4 inches and rock hard, not breaking when picked up or poured into...
Japan Thrilled About
'Treasure Box' From Space
Dec 7, 2020 11:14 AM CST
Japan Thrilled About 'Treasure Box' From Space
Capsule with material from asteroid was successfully dropped to Earth
- China's mission to retrieve moon rocks isn't the only successful space feat in the news these days. A small capsule containing asteroid soil samples that was dropped from 136,700 miles in space by Japan's Hayabusa2 spacecraft landed as planned in the Australian Outback on Sunday, per...
Asteroid Thought to Be Worth
Oct 30, 2020 12:26 PM CDT
Asteroid Thought to Be Worth $10,000,000,000,000,000,000
16 Psyche thought to be massive chunk of iron and nickel
- Somewhere between Mars and Jupiter is a potato-shaped space rock possibly worth way more than the entire economy of Earth. Italian astronomer Annibale de Gasparis discovered the Massachusetts-sized asteroid known as 16 Psyche lurking in the main asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter in 1852, per Fox News . New observations...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.