Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
White House Unveils
AI 'Bill of Rights' Plan
Oct 4, 2022 2:41 PM CDT
White House Unveils AI 'Bill of Rights' Plan
Progress 'must not come at the price of civil rights or democratic values'
- The White House rolled out a proposal for an artificial intelligence Bill of Rights Tuesday, saying that while automated systems have "brought about extraordinary benefits," progress "must not come at the price of civil rights or democratic values." The blueprint for an AI Bill of Rights...
Look Familiar? Witness the
Power of the Deepfake
Aug 6, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Look Familiar? Witness the Power of the Deepfake
Tom Cruise lookalike Miles Fisher delivers a somewhat cautionary tale about AI-powered deepfake technology
- It can’t be all bad to be born with a face like Tom Cruise. Nor is it a disadvantage to be chosen by one’s peers to deliver the Harvard commencement oration for your class. But as Miles Fisher tells it for Hollywood Reporter, those two things clashed in...
Google Engineer Makes
Alarming Claim About Chatbot
Jun 13, 2022 8:03 AM CDT
Google Engineer Makes Alarming Claim About Chatbot
Blake Lemoine suspended over claims AI device is sentient, but many are skeptical he's correct
- Have our computer overlords arrived? The
has an intriguing story about a Google engineer who argues that an artificially intelligent chatbot he was testing became sentient. If Blake Lemoine is correct, it might be step one of a sci-fi nightmare that critics of AI have long warned about....
AI Mayflower Reaches
Right Continent, Wrong Country
Jun 5, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
AI Mayflower Reaches Right Continent, Wrong Country
Boat docks in Nova Scotia instead of Plymouth after hardware problems
- A crewless robotic boat that had tried to retrace the 1620 sea voyage of the Mayflower has finally reached the shores of North America—this time in Canada instead of the Massachusetts coast where its namesake landed more than 400 years ago. The sleek autonomous trimaran docked in Halifax, Nova...
A.I. Has Changed Poker,
and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
Jan 23, 2022 5:55 PM CST
A.I. Has Changed Poker, and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
'New York Times Magazine' explores the advance of algorithms in the game
- Some of the top poker players today make moves that would have been seen as foolish even 15 years ago. Back then, they would been seen as "fish," or weak players, and invited to games every night. Today, those unorthodox moves are a good sign that the player...
White House: We Need
an AI Bill of Rights
Oct 8, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
White House: We Need an AI Bill of Rights
Biden administration seeks plan to protect from faulty, harmful uses
- Top science advisers to President Biden are calling for a new “bill of rights" to guard against powerful new artificial intelligence technology. The White House's Office of Science and Technology Policy on Friday launched a fact-finding mission to look at facial recognition and other biometric tools used to...
Video of Black Men Labeled
'Primates' on Facebook
Sep 4, 2021 1:24 PM CDT
Video of Black Men Labeled 'Primates' on Facebook
Social media giant blamed its AI algorithm
- Facebook users watching a video of Black men got a prompt asking if they would like to “keep seeing videos about Primates,” the
New York Times
reported. Facebook called the error “unacceptable.” The prompt was tweeted to Facebook by a former employee, Darci Groves, who called...
Aug 20, 2021 11:04 AM CDT
Elon Musk's Humanoid Bots Are Headed Our Way
Prototype for the 'Tesla Bot' is due out 'sometime next year,' says CEO
- Will Elon Musk soon have his own
-style theme park ? Things probably won't get that far, but you can't blame the thought from arising after an announcement this week from the Tesla CEO. That reveal, made at Thursday's AI Day in California, per CNBC : The company...
Bourdain's Widow: No, I Didn't
Approve a Fake AI Voice
Jul 16, 2021 1:39 PM CDT
Bourdain's Widow: No, I Didn't Approve a Fake AI Voice
Documentary causes a stir by using artificial intelligence for some Bourdain narration
- The new Anthony Bourdain documentary is out, and critics say
is well worth watching . But one aspect in particular is proving to be controversial. Filmmaker Morgan Neville used artificial intelligence to recreate the voice of Bourdain at certain points in the documentary, and that is raising an ethical debate...
AI Finds What Humans Can't
on Longest Dead Sea Scroll
Apr 22, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
AI Finds What Humans Can't on Longest Dead Sea Scroll
Subtle character differences suggest it was written by 2 scribes, not one
- Looking at the 24-foot-long Great Isaiah Scroll, the longest of 950 discovered Dead Sea scrolls, you'd assume it made someone's hand very, very tired. But the "near uniform" Hebrew script on the 2,000-year-old scroll discovered in 1946, which looks to the naked eye to have been...
Creator of Tom
Wants to Help,
Mar 6, 2021 7:30 AM CST
Creator of Tom Cruise Deepfakes Wants to Help, Not 'Upset'
Chris Ume wants to make sure manipulated imagery isn't weaponized as misinformation
- If you've seen those TikTok videos of Tom Cruise doing magic tricks, playing golf, and telling anecdotes about Mikhail Gorbachev, you likely know they're not real. If you don't, you've been fooled by a deepfake, which is understandable, considering how well done the creations by Belgian...
Google CEO's Apology
Doesn't Cut It: 'Gaslighting'
Dec 10, 2020 8:39 AM CST
Google CEO's Apology Doesn't Cut It: 'Gaslighting'
Dr. Timnit Gebru says she was forced from AI research position after email criticizing company
- One of Google's most prominent Black female employees is no longer with Google, and a firestorm has erupted over her departure. Google CEO Sundar Pichai has issued an apology of sorts, insinuating Dr. Timnit Gebru, the former co-leader of Google's AI team, resigned. But Gebru is pushing back,...
With Her Baby
Oct 30, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Grimes Reveals New Name, Unusual Bonding With Her Baby
She goes by a single letter now
- Forget about Baby Einstein—when Grimes chills with her infant son, they watch
. "He's into radical art," the Canadian musician tells the
New York Times
. "Like, he just actually is, and I don't think it's problematic to engage with them on that...
A Powerful New Antibiotic
Is Found in a Novel Way
Feb 21, 2020 10:30 AM CST
A Powerful New Antibiotic Is Found in a Novel Way
MIT researchers use artificial intelligence and report a breakthrough
- The rise of superbugs means the world needs powerful new antibiotics. A team at MIT says it has just made a major breakthrough using artificial intelligence for the first time. They discovered a compound that looks able to conquer some of the most dangerous bacteria in existence, including some that...
Here Are the 10
Jobs in America
Dec 11, 2019 9:20 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Fastest-Growing Jobs in America
LinkedIn's annual report is out
- The "jobs of tomorrow" are here—or, at least the ones that look the most promising for 2020. LinkedIn has published its third annual "Emerging Jobs Report," which took all public profiles of LinkedIn members who've held a full-time job over the past five years, then...
Aug 26, 2019 7:20 PM CDT
Cyborgs Will Rule Soon, Writes James Lovelock
The next stage won't be human, futurist says
- It's not that cyborgs will turn against us, James Lovelock says. But the British futurist and environmentalist does think they'll replace us. "Our supremacy as the prime understanders of the cosmos is rapidly coming to end," Lovelock writes in his new book,
—the new age....
Secretive Company Musk
Has Sunk $100M Into Opens Up
Jul 17, 2019 9:13 AM CDT
Secretive Company Musk Has Sunk $100M Into Opens Up
Neuralink gives presentation on its brain-reading technology
- "We want this burden of stealth mode off of us so that we can keep building and do things like normal people, such as publish papers." And with that, Neuralink shrugged off the secrecy that has surrounded it since its 2017 launch . On Tuesday it went public with...
3 Win Tech's
Nobel Prize for
Mar 27, 2019 9:06 AM CDT
3 Win Tech's Nobel Prize for Work Once Deemed 'Nonsense'
Yoshua Bengio, Geoffrey Hinton, Yann LeCun take home Turing Award for work in AI 'neural networks'
- Computers have become so smart during the past 20 years that people don't think twice about chatting with digital assistants like Alexa and Siri or seeing their friends automatically tagged in Facebook pictures. But making those quantum leaps from science fiction to reality required hard work from computer scientists...
This Technology Is Too Good
—and Scary—to Be Released
Feb 16, 2019 3:40 PM CST
This Technology Is Too Good —and Scary—to Be Released
The nonprofit OpenAI has created a text generator from heaven, and hell
- Makers of a new AI system say it's so good they're keeping it hidden away—for our own protection, the
reports. Called GPT2, the text generator ably produces news articles and fiction stories when fed only a few words; it can also summarize long articles (uh-oh!),...
Stephen Hawking's Last
Warning for Humans Is Dire
in case you missed it
Oct 20, 2018 10:10 AM CDT
Stephen Hawking's Last Warning for Humans Is Dire
Late physicist worried that genetic editing would let the rich live, while the 'unimproved' died out
- A new Stephen Hawking book came out Tuesday, and the late physicist issues a warning in it that sounds straight out of a dystopian sci-fi movie. Hawking worries that genetic editing will allow the rich to turn themselves into "superhumans" who will eventually dominate the world and perhaps the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ukrainian Diplomat Has 2-Word Response to Elon Musk Proposal
Auction House Said Vase Was Ordinary. Bidders Disagreed
It's Been a Wild 24 Hours for Herschel Walker
Fetterman's Latest Swing at Dr. Oz: He's a 'Puppy Killer'
Supreme Court Just Got What May Be Its Weirdest Brief of the Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.