Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Want to Live Where the
Cool Kids Are? Try Here
Oct 28, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Want to Live Where the Cool Kids Are? Try Here
'Time Out' does a global neighborhood ranking
- In every city, locals know where the hot spots are: the best eateries, the hippest watering holes, the most happening cultural events.
has posted its sixth annual roundup of the coolest neighborhoods in the world, based on input from more than 12,000 city dwellers and input from...
This Is the
Most Livable City
in the World
in case you missed it
Jun 25, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
This Is the Most Livable City in the World
Vienna is No. 1 in rankings of 170+ cities worldwide; no US cities make the top 10
- Looking to pull up roots and try to make it in an exciting new city? Head to Vienna, deemed the most livable city, or to Canada, where three cities are among the top picks on the Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Liveability Index . The EIU based its rankings of more...
This Is the Friendliest
City in the World
Jun 12, 2023 11:19 AM CDT
This Is the Friendliest City in the World
Toronto takes the top spot in Preply's rankings; 2 US cities also make the top 10
- Looking forward to a summer vacation, or even a relocation? Preply is out with its Community Spirit Index , which ranks more than 50 cities around the world in terms of how friendly they are to non-natives. The language learning app examined six main metrics to gather a sense of how...
Russian Flag Painted
on Copenhagen's Most
Mar 2, 2023 10:15 AM CST
Russian Flag Painted on Copenhagen's Most Famous Landmark
It's the latest in a long line of attacks on Little Mermaid statue
- The Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen, one of Denmark's most famous landmarks, has been vandalized yet again, this time with the Russian flag. Authorities said Thursday that the white, blue, and red stripes of the Russian flag were painted on the stone the statue sits on, Reuters reports. Police...
Big Closure May Signal Shift
in World of Fine Dining
Jan 9, 2023 11:34 AM CST
Big Closure May Signal Shift in World of Fine Dining
Noma, one of the best restaurants in the world, will close next year to become a test kitchen
- Noma has topped the prestigious World's 50 Best Restaurants list so many times—five—that it's not eligible to win anymore. But those who want to travel to Copenhagen to taste for themselves now have a limited opportunity to do so: The Danish restaurant said Monday that it...
'Denmark Was Hit by a
Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
Jul 3, 2022 10:00 PM CDT
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
3 killed in Copenhagen shopping mall, others injured
This story has been updated throughout with the confirmed death toll and other details.
A gunman opened fired inside a busy shopping mall in the Danish capital on Sunday, killing three people and wounding others, three critically, police said. A 22-year-old Danish man was arrested, Copenhagen police inspector Søren...
This Is the World's
Most Expensive City
Dec 1, 2021 12:13 PM CST
This Is the World's Most Expensive City
Israel's Tel Aviv tops the Economist Intelligence Unit's list
- Looking to bust out of this joint and set down roots elsewhere in the world? If you're planning an expat move to one of the cities on the Economist Intelligence Unit's most recent list, you'd better bring some extra cash. Per the BBC , the Economist Group's...
Lennon Tape Not Heard for
50 Years Hits Auction Block
Sep 29, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Lennon Tape Not Heard for 50 Years Hits Auction Block
Includes never-released 'Radio Peace,' performed during John and Yoko's 1970 Denmark visit
- Think you've heard every John Lennon bootleg, remaster, and import? There's a new tape in the mix, unheard for more than 50 years, though you'll have to convince the person who just bought it for $58,300 at auction to play it. The 33-minute recording made in...
This Is the Safest
City for Travelers
Sep 17, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Safest City for Travelers
Copenhagen is No. 1 in new ranking by the 'Economist'
is out with its annual ranking of "safe cities" in which to travel, and the top spot is occupied by Copenhagen for the first time. Typically, an Asian city has been No. 1, notes CNN . Crime obviously factors into the rankings, but the Safe Cities Index 2021...
Killer Peter Madsen
Oct 20, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Killer Peter Madsen Escapes Prison
Inventor convicted in journalist's brutal murder is apprehended a short distance away on Tuesday
- A Danish man convicted of killing a journalist aboard his homemade submarine in a case that shocked Scandinavia managed to escape from prison on Tuesday—though he was apprehended soon after. Peter Madsen, serving life in prison for the 2017 murder of Kim Wall, escaped from Herstedvester Prison near Copenhagen...
10 Priciest Cities to Call Home
Mar 19, 2019 11:14 AM CDT
10 Priciest Cities to Call Home
It's a 3-way tie for No. 1—a first in survey's history
- Not one, not two, but three cities have for the first time tied for the most expensive to call home in the annual
Intelligence Unit survey. Singapore, Paris, and Hong Kong share the distinction. Asian and European cities dominate the list of 10 cities—compiled by evaluating the cost...
Ex-Gangster Shot Dead
Leaving Book Launch
Nov 21, 2018 1:33 AM CST
Ex-Gangster Shot Dead Leaving Book Launch
His memoir described leaving a life of crime
- Nedim Yasar produced a memoir about leaving a life of crime behind—and was killed as he left the launch for that book. The 31-year-old ex-gangster was shot twice as he left the event in Copenhagen on Monday, a day before
Roots: A Gangster's Way Out
was released, the...
Cops Find No Body
Aug 13, 2017 7:07 AM CDT
Aboard Mysteriously Sunken Submarine, Cops Find No Body
30-year-old freelance journalist is missing after privately owned sub goes down
- Danish police say they have not found the body of a missing Swedish journalist inside an amateur-built submarine that sunk off the Nordic country's eastern coast last week , reports the AP . Copenhagen police spokesman Jens Moller Jensen says Sunday that investigators uncovered no trace of 30-year-old freelance journalist Kim...
May 30, 2017 1:05 PM CDT
Little Mermaid Statue Doused With Paint ... Again
It appears to be a protest against hunting whales
- Danish officials on Tuesday hosed down Copenhagen's famed Little Mermaid after the statue was found doused with red paint, the AP reports. On the ground in front of the statue was written in red, in English, "Denmark defend the whales of the [Faeroe] Islands"—likely a reference...
Top Chef Names Dishwasher
Co-Owner of Restaurant
Mar 1, 2017 11:33 AM CST
Top Chef Names Dishwasher Co-Owner of Restaurant
Ali Sonko becomes partner in Noma in Copenhagen
- The best chefs will tell you the success of a restaurant depends not on the chef, but on the entire staff, including the dishwashers. Chef Rene Redzepi is clearly among that group. When his Noma restaurant in Copenhagen received the first of four Best Restaurant in the World awards in...
World's 10 Most
Jul 29, 2016 2:59 PM CDT
World's 10 Most Livable Cities
Tough break, America
- Maybe Donald Trump is … right?
just released its annual list of the 25 most livable cities in the world, and the first American city (Honolulu) doesn't even show up until number 23. Skift reports the rankings are based on things like architecture, safety, and public transportation. American...
2 Arrested for
Feb 16, 2015 8:28 AM CST
2 Arrested for Allegedly Helping Denmark Shooter
Danish media names suspect as PM describes 'fight for freedom'
- After the suspect in a pair of Copenhagen shootings was killed in a gunfight , two people have been arrested for allegedly helping him, the AP reports. They've been blamed for sheltering the suspect and disposing of a weapon, says a defense attorney for Michael Juul Eriksen, one of those...
Netanyahu: Israel the Only Place Jews Can Feel Safe
Feb 16, 2015 7:03 AM CST
Netanyahu: Israel the Only Place Jews Can Feel Safe
Israeli prime minister ruffles feathers with his 'massive immigration' call
- The deadly Copenhagen shootings over the weekend, including an attack outside the city's main synagogue, have spurred Benjamin Netanyahu to make some drastic statements. During yesterday's Cabinet meeting—in which a $46 million plan to handle Jewish immigrants from France, Belgium, and Ukraine was approved,
Now 1 Dead,
Feb 14, 2015 7:13 PM CST
2nd Shooting in Denmark: Now 1 Dead, 6 Wounded
Police haven't definitively linked them
- Denmark is now investigating two shootings: First, a gunman opened fire on a Copenhagen cultural center, killing one man and wounding three police officers in what authorities called a terror attack against a free-speech event featuring an artist who had caricatured the Prophet Muhammad. After searching for the gunman for...
Experts Find First
in 60 Years
Sep 20, 2014 1:30 PM CDT
Experts Find First Viking Fortress in 60 Years
Denmark discovery likely from 10th century
- Archaeologists have dug up a rare find in Denmark: a Viking fortress. It's the first such discovery in more than 60 years, ScienceNordic reports. Researchers were clued in to its possible existence after examining the placement of fortresses nearby. "It was clear that there was a fortress missing,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.