Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
on Final Show
Aug 21, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Stelter Urges Accountability on Final Show
CNN dropped 'Reliable Sources' host and the 30-year show
host Brian Stelter insisted Sunday that he'll still be rooting for CNN, though his show has been canceled, but stressed that it was important for the network and others to hold the media accountable. CNN gave Stelter the chance to host a final episode of the 30-year...
Pay for Lawsuits
Jun 24, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
He says he's fighting back with 'fake news turkey shoot'
- Kyle Rittenhouse says he's releasing a video game to fund his planned defamation lawsuits against media outlets. In it, players act as a cartoonish Rittenhouse, shooting flying turkeys labeled "fake news" and "MSDNC" with a large orange gun, per the
. "The media is nothing...
Sexist Joke Leads to Staff
Jun 7, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Sexist Joke Leads to Staff Turmoil at
Journalist Dave Weigel has been suspended for a retweet, and colleagues are now fighting about it all
- A blowup among staffers at the
has ended up going very public, leading to apparent disciplinary measures for journalist Dave Weigel. Sources tell CNN Business that Weigel has been suspended for a month without pay after he retweeted a sexist joke from YouTuber Cam Harless, who
Most Trusted News Source
Is Bit of a Surprise
in case you missed it
Apr 16, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Most Trusted News Source Is Bit of a Surprise
52% of Americans trust the Weather Channel in latest YouGov poll
- When it comes to the weather, most of us are on the same side of things—or, at least we're all watching and believing the same reports. That's according to YouGov , a UK market research firm whose latest poll on the media found that the most trusted news...
Calling Disney Too 'Woke,'
Outlet Will Make Own Content
Mar 31, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Calling Disney Too 'Woke,' Outlet Will Make Own Content
Conservative Daily Wire says entertainment giant is pushing 'radical' ideology to children
- The conservative media outlet Daily Wire is launching an entertainment division for children to counter what it calls a "woke" ideology of Disney. The company—best known for its podcast featuring Ben Shapiro—says in a release that it will spend $100 million over three years to develop DW...
NPR's Supreme Court
Story Takes Another Turn
Jan 21, 2022 11:00 AM CST
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Reporter Nina Totenberg defends it, rejects public editor's clarification
- The saga over an NPR report on the Supreme Court continues. Veteran reporter Nina Totenberg is dismissing criticism from her outlet's public editor about a story Totenberg wrote about justice Neil Gorsuch's decision to forgo a mask while on the bench. Here's how it has unfolded:
Jan 6, 2022 6:20 PM CST
Paying $550M for
Sports site brings 1.2M new owner subscribers
- The Athletic, which has been looking for a buyer for months, has found one. The New York Times announced Thursday that it's reached an agreement to acquire the subscription-based sports media outlet in an all-cash deal worth $550 million, Axios reports. The
said its new subsidiary will operate...
Our Interest in the News
Wasn't What It Was in 2020
Dec 27, 2021 10:15 AM CST
Our Interest in the News Wasn't What It Was in 2020
The AP rounds up some numbers that show the decline
- The presidential election, pandemic, and racial reckoning were stories that drove intense interest and engagement to news outlets in 2020. To a large degree, 2021 represented the inevitable hangover. The AP reports various metrics illustrate the dwindling popularity of news content. The major takeaways:
Cable news networks:
In 2021, weekday
George Clooney Has
a Big Ask of the Media
Nov 6, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
George Clooney Has a Big Ask of the Media
Star doesn't want pics of his kids' faces being published, especially by the UK's 'Daily Mail'
- George Clooney understands that, as one of the most famous actors in the world, he's going to occasionally be photographed while out in public. As for his two young kids, however, they should be off-limits, a plea he made Thursday in an open letter to the media. The BBC...
Dave Portnoy: 'I've Never Done
Anything Weird With a Girl'
Nov 5, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
Dave Portnoy: 'I've Never Done Anything Weird With a Girl'
Barstool Sports founder says he's never done 'anything remotely nonconsensual'
- Dave Portnoy, founder and president of Barstool Sports, is no stranger to controversy. Last year, after a Twitter thread highlighted video clips in which he used the N-word, supported a colleague's use of blackface, and said he assumed Colin Kaepernick was Arab and therefore "an ISIS guy,"...
Oct 2, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Ozy Makes Announcement With 'Heaviest of Hearts'
Digital media company is shutting down after week of bombshell reports, controversies
A "strange chapter" in the media world has come to a close. That's per the
New York Times
, which reports that Ozy Media, the digital media firm it had dropped a bombshell report on earlier in the week, is shuttering. "It is ... with the heaviest of...
Sep 24, 2021 9:21 AM CDT
Chris Cuomo's Ex-Boss Reveals He Groped Her Butt
TV journalist Shelley Ross says CNN host must 'journalistically repent'
- Sexual harassment allegations derailed the career of one Cuomo . A new allegation threatens to do the same to another. In a
New York Times
essay, Chris Cuomo's former boss at ABC News says the CNN host sexually harassed her in 2005 when both attended a colleague's going-away party...
'I'm Going Home'
Sep 16, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Piers Morgan: 'I'm Going Home'
He's joining News Corp., will host new weeknight show on Fox Nation
- Piers Morgan has found a new job following his explosive departure from
Good Morning Britain
. The political pundit is joining News Corp. and Fox News Media in a partnership that will see him host a new weeknight show to air in the US, UK, and Australia in 2022. He'll...
'One of the Most
Iconic Brands' on
TV Is Coming Back
Sep 14, 2021 11:54 AM CDT
'One of the Most Iconic Brands' on TV Is Coming Back
New episodes of 'Cops' to debut next month on Fox Nation
- Fox News Media is reviving the long-running TV series
for its Fox Nation streaming service as part of a pitch to entice police, firefighters, and other first responders to sign up for the service, reports the AP . Fox Nation will debut four episodes of the show's 33rd season...
Taliban Official Flees
Sep 2, 2021 7:07 AM CDT
Female Journalist Who Interviewed Taliban Official Flees
Beheshta Arghand says Taliban doesn't accept women as 'human'
- The first female Afghan journalist to interview a member of the Taliban says she's been forced to leave her country behind. Beheshta Arghand, formerly of TOLO News, fled Afghanistan as part of the US-led evacuation on Aug. 24 and is now in Qatar, per the
. Arghand had spoken...
The DOJ Just Yanked Dozens
of Iran-Tied News Sites
Jun 23, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
The DOJ Just Yanked Dozens of Iran-Tied News Sites
Department alleges these state-linked sites are spreading disinformation
- American authorities seized a range of Iran's state-linked news website domains they accused of spreading disinformation, the US Justice Department said Tuesday, a move that appeared to be a far-reaching crackdown on Iranian media amid heightened tensions between the two countries. The Justice Department said 33 of the seized...
One of Reporters' Best Sources
Is Their Biggest Critic
Jun 21, 2021 8:11 AM CDT
One of Reporters' Best Sources Is Their Biggest Critic
Tucker Carlson loves giving the inside scoop to journalists, writes Ben Smith
- Tucker Carlson is always going after journalists, the group he has described as "cringing animals who are not worthy of respect." But in his latest media column for the
New York Times
, Ben Smith writes about what he calls one of DC's "open secrets"—Carlson...
AP Admits It Mishandled
Firing of Young Reporter
May 27, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
AP Admits It Mishandled Firing of Young Reporter
Emily Wilder's dismissal over social media posts forces a reckoning on policy
- The Associated Press hired a young journalist out of Stanford at the beginning of this month, then fired her about two weeks later. But this was no ordinary personnel issue, and the dismissal of 22-year-old Emily Wilder is forcing a heated discussion in the industry about how news organizations handle...
Pope Questions Value
of Vatican Newspaper
to Its Employees
May 24, 2021 7:40 PM CDT
Pope Questions Value of Vatican Newspaper to Its Employees
Francis issues thinly veiled warning about expensive media operation
- Pope Francis challenged the Vatican's own media employees Monday to essentially justify their continued work, asking them how many people actually consume their news as he visited the office that costs the Holy See more than all its embassies around the world combined. Francis paid a visit to the...
3 Major Outlets Backtrack
on a Rudy Giuliani Story
May 4, 2021 8:22 AM CDT
3 Major Outlets Backtrack on a Rudy Giuliani Story
'Competitive pressures' fueled the mistake, writes media reporter Paul Farhi
- Three major news organizations misfired on a Rudy Giuliani story last week, and media writer Paul Farhi of the
digs into what went wrong. Two big factors: "Competitive pressures" and anonymous sources. Farhi's own newspaper was the first to report the would-be scoop: The
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.