Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 61 - 80 |
First-Time Homebuyers May
Want to Check Here First
Jul 6, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
First-Time Homebuyers May Want to Check Here First
Chesapeake, Va., holds promise, as do several other Virginia cities
- With the pandemic showing signs of waning, plans that were put on hold are starting to gain new life. If you've been mulling buying your first home, some US cities may hold more promise than others. WalletHub looked at 300 cities of varying sizes across America, examining nearly two...
This Is the Most Smoothly
Operating City in America
Jun 22, 2021 12:23 PM CDT
This Is the Most Smoothly Operating City in America
Nampa, Idaho, takes the top spot, while the District of Columbia comes in last
- Keeping a city humming along smoothly is no easy task, especially during a global pandemic. With budgets to manage, services and programs to greenlight or nix, and constituents' needs to meet, local leaders have challenges at hand even during the best of times. WalletHub looked at 150 of the nation'...
Vaxxed and Ready to Relax?
These US Cities Are Waiting
Jun 21, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
Vaxxed and Ready to Relax? These US Cities Are Waiting
San Francisco tops LawnStarter's list of best places for the vaccinated to enjoy summer vacation
- Summer is here, and if you're cautiously starting to reemerge from the pandemic, you may wonder if it's possible to contemplate some well-deserved holiday time. LawnStarter answers that question for the fully vaccinated with its ranking of US cities ideal for "vaxcations." The site looked at...
Horniest US City Has
Appropriately Hedonistic Name
Jun 2, 2021 2:52 PM CDT
Horniest US City Has Appropriately Hedonistic Name
While Texas cities suffer from a lethargic libido
- It looks like Nevada's Paradise is aptly named, at least for those who are yearning for physical human contact after a long year of lockdowns. The city sits at the top of LawnStarter's list of America's "horniest" cities, published in advance of National Sex Day on...
This Is the Best City
in America for Families
Jun 1, 2021 12:23 PM CDT
This Is the Best City in America for Families
Overland Park in Kansas gets top billing
- Figuring out the best place to raise a family can seem like an overwhelming task, but WalletHub's latest analysis may shed some light. The site shook out stats for 182 of the most populated cities in the nation, examining four dozen metrics across five main categories: family fun (think...
Here Are the Best, Worst
US Cities to Start Your Career
May 17, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst US Cities to Start Your Career
Salt Lake City comes in at No. 1 in WalletHub ranking, while Newark, NJ, falls last
- With the pandemic starting to slowly ease and businesses reopening, recent college grads or those about to graduate may find a better job market than the one that existed at this time last year. How well they'll do in their career of choice could depend on where they're...
Here Is the (Controversial)
List of Best Cities for BBQ
May 15, 2021 1:29 PM CDT
Here Is the (Controversial) List of Best Cities for BBQ
New Orleans tops the list from Chef's Pencil
- Have a hankering for brisket? Pining for pulled pork? We can't blame you, because May is National Barbecue Month, and the smell of smoky, meaty goodness may already be drifting around your neighborhood. Chef's Pencil wanted to see which states can claim their own mini barbecue crowns, and...
Here's Where Millennials Are
Flocking to Across America
Apr 17, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Here's Where Millennials Are Flocking to Across America
The 25-to-39 set is defecting from big cities to smaller ones
- Before the pandemic, millennials were already starting to ditch America's biggest cities, leaving New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles for opportunities in cozier urban enclaves, per CNBC . COVID hasn't changed that trend, and SmartAsset wanted to see which smaller cities draw the demographic of those ages 25 to...
10 Most, Least Relaxed
Cities in America
Apr 8, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Relaxed Cities in America
Sunnyvale, Calif., takes the top spot, while Kansas City, Kan., needs to kick back more
- We could all use a breather after the past year, and some US cities offer more respite than others. LawnStarter sifted through data from the CDC, Census Bureau, and other government agencies, as well as stats from recreational organizations, health groups, and Yelp, to figure out which American cities are...
The US Cities That
May Soon Ditch
Mar 8, 2021 9:15 AM CST
The US Cities That Remote Workers May Soon Ditch
There are also metro areas that could benefit from the telecommuting trend
- With much of America now intimately familiar with telecommuting, a necessity born of the pandemic,
sees a "titanic shift" in the direction of remote work, even once all of the virus-related lockdowns are over and we head back into the office. And as people realize they can...
Here Are the
Feb 22, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Here Are the Hardest-Working US Cities
Alaska's Anchorage comes out on top, Detroit dead last
- Work has been hard to come by during the pandemic, but Americans' work ethic in general remains strong. WalletHub wanted to find out which US cities have the hardest workers, and so the site looked at 116 of the country's biggest cities across nearly a dozen metrics in two...
Here Are the Healthiest,
Least Healthy Cities in America
Feb 8, 2021 8:24 AM CST
Here Are the Healthiest, Least Healthy Cities in America
Is there something in the water out West?
- Staying healthy is a priority for many people, and where you live makes a difference. WalletHub has done the work to help you figure out which places might help you reach your wellness goals. The site looked at 180-plus of the most populated cities across the nation, using nearly four...
Want an Active
Lifestyle? Live Here
Jan 10, 2021 6:00 AM CST
Want an Active Lifestyle? Live Here
These are the US cities where you can be the fittest version of you
- New year, new you? If that's one of your goals for 2021, and fitness is integral to that goal, there are parts of the US that may suit you best. In its quest to track down where the promise of an active lifestyle beckons, WalletHub analyzed the 100 largest...
Here Are the
10 Best Cities for
Jobs in America
Jan 5, 2021 11:24 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best Cities for Jobs in America
South Burlington, Vt., looks better than most
- The job market hasn't been great over the past year, mainly due to the COVID pandemic. As people start the new year off trying to make a fresh start, however, some locations across the country may offer better chances at employment than others. WalletHub took a look at more...
US Cities That Need the
Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Dec 11, 2020 5:05 PM CST
US Cities That Need the Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Detroit, Cleveland top the list
- With Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine possibly just days away from being shipped, the next order of business will be starting to divvy it up for distribution across the country. WalletHub looked at more than 90 cities across America to figure out which may need the most initial vaccinations. The site...
Here Are the
US Cities Hardest
Oct 26, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Here Are the US Cities Hardest Hit Financially by COVID
Half of America's top 10 are located in one state
- With more than 225,000 dead and 8.6 million cases of COVID-19 in the US, the health consequences of the virus are obvious. But the financial repercussions have also been devastating, and some areas are suffering more than others. WalletHub looked at the biggest US cities across nine metrics...
In These US Cities, the
Economy Has Thrived
Oct 12, 2020 10:14 AM CDT
In These US Cities, the Economy Has Thrived
Fort Myers, Fla., leads the list
- Although the country's economy as a whole has suffered greatly during the pandemic, some areas manage to do OK. Better than OK, actually, per WalletHub's ranking of the fastest-growing cities in America, which it gauged by looking at more than 515 small, midsized, and large cities across the...
Sep 8, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Looking to Retire? These US Cities Beckon
Nearly half of the top 10 are in one state
- Unless you plan on living indefinitely on a cruise ship when you retire (not a bad idea, but maybe a little impractical for most of us), you may be looking ahead to where it would make the most sense to settle in for your golden years. Toward that end, WalletHub...
This Is the Worst
US City to Drive In
Sep 1, 2020 9:19 AM CDT
This Is the Worst US City to Drive In
Oakland is no smooth ride, but you'll be cruising right along in Lincoln, Neb.
- While more of us are telecommuting during the pandemic, WalletHub notes that many prefer to drive rather than take public transportation in the COVID-19 era, so it looked at the 100 largest cities in the country to see where driving is the best—and the worst. The site examined 31...
Worrying Pandemic Trend:
a Rise in Homicides
Aug 3, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Worrying Pandemic Trend: a Rise in Homicides
'Wall Street Journal' finds the trend in 36 of the largest 50 cities
- Chicago has logged 430 homicides so far this year, up 51% from this point last year, reports the
. And while Chicago has drawn much of the attention over rising homicides, it's far from alone among big US cities. A
Wall Street Journal
analysis finds that 36 of the...
Stories 61 - 80 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.