Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 22, 2023 2:28 AM CDT
Woman Describes Alleged Disturbing Encounter With Russell Brand
Says the comedian exposed himself to her, then joked about it on radio show
- In the wake of sexual assault accusations against Russell Brand , a woman is describing a disturbing encounter she says she had with the comedian in 2008. While working in Los Angeles at a media company housed in a building also used by the BBC for its LA office, she says...
Jul 25, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
BBC Apologizes After Reporter's Question to Soccer Player
Journalist asked Moroccan captain if there are gay players on her team
- The BBC has apologized after one of its reporters asked the captain of Morocco's women's soccer team what many are calling a dangerous question. During a press conference before the team's Women's World Cup opener against Germany, which it went on to lose, Ghizlane Chebbak was...
Is Named by Wife
Jul 12, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
BBC Presenter Facing Allegations Is Named by Wife
She says Huw Edwards is 'suffering from serious mental health issues'
- The BBC presenter who allegedly paid a teen for explicit photos has been identified as Huw Edwards, one of the broadcaster's best-known names. His wife, Vicky Flind, said in a statement Wednesday that the 61-year-old is "suffering from serious mental health issues" and will respond to the allegations...
Mar 13, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
After Weekend Chaos, BBC Backs Down
Popular host and former soccer star Gary Lineker reinstated after he critiqued deportation policy
- The BBC called a truce Monday in its showdown with sports commentator Gary Lineker, reversing its suspension of the former soccer great for a tweet that criticized the UK. As the AP reports, the about-face followed a weekend of chaos and crisis for Britain's publicly funded national broadcaster, which...
Mar 12, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
BBC Had to Ditch Sports Shows This Weekend
Network faces revolt after it punished soccer icon Gary Lineker for getting political
- The BBC had to scrap much of its weekend sports programming as it scrambled to stem an escalating crisis over its suspension of soccer host Gary Lineker for comments criticizing the British government's new asylum policy. Presenters, analysts, and English Premier League players rallied in support of Lineker by...
BBC Arabic Signs Off
Jan 30, 2023 6:25 PM CST
BBC Arabic Signs Off
Radio services in 10 languages are being dropped
- Arabic Radio, the BBC's first foreign language service, is off the air after 85 years. To reduce costs, the BBC is ending radio services in 10 languages, including Persian, Chinese, and Hindi. At least 382 World Service employees will lose their jobs as the BBC concentrates on digital content,...
Police Shut Down Showings
of Documentary on Modi
Jan 25, 2023 4:39 PM CST
Police Shut Down Showings of Documentary on Modi
BBC film examines leader's role in fatal riots in 2002
- Police in India forcefully prevented university screenings of a documentary about Prime Minister Narendra Modi, locking campus gates, detaining students, and shutting off electricity and internet access. The BBC film
India: The Modi Question
, looks at religious riots in the state of Gujarat in 2002, when Modi was chief minister...
Reporter vs. Mugger: 'Wrong
Blind Person, Wrong Day'
Dec 28, 2022 9:06 AM CST
Reporter vs. Mugger: 'Wrong Blind Person, Wrong Day'
BBC correspondent Sean Dilley didn't let his lack of sight keep him from defeating a phone thief
- A thief may have surprised BBC journalist Sean Dilley by lifting his phone on the streets of London, but it was Dilley who had an even bigger surprise for the thief. The BBC reports that its correspondent, who was working the night shift at New Broadcasting House, BBC's headquarters...
in case you missed it
May 15, 2022 6:15 PM CDT
BBC's 'Bowel Babe' Blown Away by Damehood
Deborah James awarded for charity efforts days after announcing she was in hospice care
Deborah James' days are limited. But recent ones have been remarkable. The host of the BBC podcast "You, Me, and the Big C," now in hospice care with bowel cancer, was awarded damehood Thursday as her campaign to raise money for cancer research, started just four days...
Most Trusted News Source
Is Bit of a Surprise
in case you missed it
Apr 16, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Most Trusted News Source Is Bit of a Surprise
52% of Americans trust the Weather Channel in latest YouGov poll
- When it comes to the weather, most of us are on the same side of things—or, at least we're all watching and believing the same reports. That's according to YouGov , a UK market research firm whose latest poll on the media found that the most trusted news...
to Diana's Secretary
Mar 17, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
BBC Apologizes to Diana's Secretary
Network covered up Martin Bashir's misconduct in landing interview for 25 years
- The BBC said Thursday that it has apologized and paid a "substantial" sum to Princess Diana's private secretary over subterfuge used to get an explosive television interview with the late royal. The UK's national broadcaster said it acknowledged that "serious harm" was caused to Patrick Jephson...
Dec 30, 2021 8:43 AM CST
BBC Apologizes Over Dershowitz Interview
He was brought on as legal analyst on Ghislaine Maxwell without reference to his ties to the case
- Like a lot of outlets, the BBC brought on legal analysts to discuss the guilty verdicts of Ghislaine Maxwell . Unlike a lot of outlets, the BBC invited attorney Alan Dershowitz to discuss the case—without disclosing Dershowitz's own deep ties to it, reports Mediaite . Not only was Dershowitz a...
Ruins an Original Banksy
Nov 11, 2021 4:10 PM CST
Christopher Walken Ruins an Original Banksy
On purpose: Actor painted over a rat in scene from BBC's 'The Outlaws'
- In the series finale of BBC comedy-drama
, a character played by Christopher Walken paints over an image of a rat below the name Banksy. And here is where fiction meets reality: Not only was the mural an original Banksy artwork, but Walken really did destroy it on the...
Try to Storm Building
BBC Left in 2013
Aug 9, 2021 5:16 PM CDT
Anti-Vaccine Protesters Try to Storm Building BBC Left in 2013
They found their way to the broadcaster's current headquarters hours later
- Anti-vaccine protesters angry about the BBC's coverage of the pandemic clashed with police officers as they attempted to storm a television building in west London Monday. But they had apparently failed to do their research—the broadcasters moved its news coverage and almost all other operations out of Television...
Jun 15, 2021 1:33 PM CDT
Lockdown Protesters Chase Journalist
Boris Johnson denounces harassment from crowd shouting 'traitor' at BBC reporter
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has denounced protesters of lockdown measures who chased a BBC journalist Monday through London streets. People in the crowd confronted Nicholas Watt, who wore BBC identification, screaming "traitor," before he made a run through the crowd, around a police line, and beyond a...
Princes William, Harry Speak
About Diana's BBC Interview
May 21, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
Princes William, Harry Speak About Diana's BBC Interview
It hurt his parents' relationship, indirectly resulted in Diana's death, William says
- The BBC has admitted it deceived Princess Diana in order to get its bombshell 1995 interview with her, and after the revelation Thursday, Prince William said that interview indirectly led to his mother's death. It also was a "major contribution to making my parents' relationship worse," he...
Inquiry Confirms BBC Lied
to Diana Before Interview
May 20, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Inquiry Confirms BBC Lied to Diana Before Interview
Network apologizes over Martin Bashir's tactics ahead of famous 1995 sit-down
- In 1995, BBC journalist Martin Bashir sat down with Princess Diana for a bombshell interview in which she revealed details about her unhappy marriage. Now, an independent inquiry has concluded that Bashir had phony bank statements made up ahead of time to suggest that the royal family had been spying...
BBC Gets Slew of Complaints
Over Prince Philip Coverage
Apr 10, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
BBC Gets Slew of Complaints Over Prince Philip Coverage
Some viewers saw it as excessive
- The UK's national broadcaster switched instantly into mourning mode when Prince Philip’s death was announced Friday. The BBC canceled its regular programming and aired special coverage hosted by black-clad news anchors throughout the day. Popular prime-time shows such as the cooking contest
were supplanted. Some Britons saw...
BBC News in
Feb 11, 2021 5:20 PM CST
China Pulls BBC News in Retaliation
Britain had dropped CGTN's license last week
- In a clash that began over allegations of Communist influence on editorial policy, the BBC World Service has been canceled in China. British regulators had pulled the license of China's global television network last week, saying the Communist Party controlled CGTN's editorial policy, which is illegal in Britain....
He May Have Been First
to Report John Lennon's Death
Dec 8, 2020 10:45 AM CST
He May Have Been First to Report John Lennon's Death
WLIR's Steve North remembers that night, as does a BBC reporter at the scene 40 years ago
- On this night exactly 40 years ago, Mark David Chapman fatally shot John Lennon outside the Dakota apartment building where Lennon lived. Two journalists who reported on the events in 1980 reflect on the anniversary:
WLIR's Steve North writes in the Daily Beast that he believes he
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.