Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here Are the Most,
Least Educated US Cities
Jul 24, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Here Are the Most, Least Educated US Cities
Ann Arbor, Michigan, tops WalletHub's list, while Visalia, California, comes in last
- Where college grads head to after they've thrown their caps in the air can make or break a city's smarts cachet. WalletHub wanted to see which US cities can claim that "most educated" prestige, so it looked at 150 of the most populated metropolitan areas around the...
They Asked $1.15M for
Home, Got Double That
in case you missed it
Apr 4, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
They Asked $1.15M for Home, Got Double That
'It's kind of a unicorn,' agent says of Berkeley, Calif., property
- A home in Berkeley, Calif., was listed for $1.15 million—and just sold for twice that amount. Listing agent Jill Carrigan of Grubb Co., says it's the first time she’s seen a house sell for $1 million over the asking price. It's "an unusual feat...
Ann Coulter Quips About
'Red Carpet Walk' in Berkeley
Nov 21, 2019 8:50 AM CST
Ann Coulter Quips About 'Red Carpet Walk' in Berkeley
Hundreds of protesters came to greet conservative talking head
- Ann Coulter showed up Wednesday night at the school she once called a "radical thuggish institution," and protesters were there in force to greet her. The
San Francisco Chronicle
reports hundreds of demonstrators were on hand— KTVU says it was "several hundred," while protest organizer Atlas...
Berkeley Is Ditching
All Its 'Manholes'
Jul 19, 2019 10:24 AM CDT
Berkeley Is Ditching All Its 'Manholes'
They'll be 'maintenance holes' under new language rules
- There will be no manholes in Berkeley, California. City workers will drop into "maintenance holes" instead. Nothing will be manmade in the liberal city but "human-made." And students at the University of California, Berkeley, will join "collegiate Greek system residences" rather than fraternities and sororities. Berkeley...
9 Arrests as Conservative
Firebrand Speaks at Berkeley
Sep 15, 2017 10:21 AM CDT
9 Arrests as Conservative Firebrand Speaks at Berkeley
School spends $600K on security for Ben Shapiro appearance
- A phalanx of police and a campus on virtual lockdown Thursday accomplished the University of California, Berkeley, administration's goal of allowing a conservative to speak at the famously liberal university, one that has become known more recently for its violent demonstrations between those with opposing viewpoints. Outside, hundreds of...
Pelosi One of First Top
Democrats to Blast Antifa
Aug 30, 2017 10:55 AM CDT
Pelosi One of First Top Democrats to Blast Antifa
Protesters' violence deserves 'unequivocal condemnation'
- Nancy Pelosi managed a rare feat this week: She pleased right-wing sites including Breitbart and the
. How so? The House minority leader condemned "antifa" protesters who turned violent at a weekend protest in Berkeley . "Our democracy has no room for inciting violence or endangering the public,...
Has No Regrets
Aug 29, 2017 8:03 AM CDT
Black Journalist Who Protected Alt-Right Protester Has No Regrets
'It doesn't matter if he doesn't see my humanity ... I see his'
- When journalist Al Letson saw a suspected alt-right protester being beaten by "antifa" supporters in Berkeley, Calif., on Sunday , he didn't stop to consider what the fallen man might think of him. Letson, who is black, simply wanted to save him. Running into the crowd, Letson jumped on...
14 Arrested as
Aug 28, 2017 2:52 AM CDT
14 Arrested as Berkeley Protest Turns Violent
Alt-right protesters were vastly outnumbered
- At least 14 people were arrested in Berkeley, Calif., Sunday as counter-protesters clashed with vastly outnumbered supporters of President Trump. Some of the 7,000 counter-protesters confronted a small group of "alt-right" protesters who had originally intended to gather for a "No to Marxism in America" rally that...
Berkeley Butcher Shop
Has Odd Sign in Its Window
Aug 4, 2017 11:47 AM CDT
Berkeley Butcher Shop Has Odd Sign in Its Window
It criticizes the killing of animals, a deal made with protesters
- Visit the Local Butcher Shop in Berkeley and you'll see an odd sign in the window. "Attention: Animals lives are their right. Killing them is violent and unjust, no matter how it’s done," it reads. The California butcher shop put it up as part of a...
Coulter Supporters Rally
After Berkeley No-Show
Apr 28, 2017 12:03 AM CDT
Coulter Supporters Rally After Berkeley No-Show
Even some opponents voiced free-speech concerns
- Ann Coulter didn't turn up in Berkeley Thursday night, where hundreds held a raucous but largely peaceful demonstration in her absence and lamented what they called the latest blow to free speech in the home of America's free speech movement. The conservative pundit's canceled appearance at the...
Berkeley Braces for Open-Air
Ann Coulter Speech
Apr 26, 2017 12:21 AM CDT
Berkeley Braces for Open-Air Ann Coulter Speech
Cops, university prepare for clashes
- Ann Coulter has promised to deliver an outdoor speech at the University of California-Berkeley on Thursday, and police, university officials, and even one of the groups that invited her to speak are worried about clashes. After disagreements over dates and venues for her speech, Coulter says she'll stick with...
Deaths of Couple, Their Cats
Baffle Cops, Worry Neighbors
in case you missed it
Apr 22, 2017 12:25 PM CDT
Deaths of Couple, Their Cats Baffle Cops, Worry Neighbors
The Morashes died of carbon monoxide poisoning—but from what?
- Roger Hanna Morash, 35, and Valerie Morash, 32, were found dead in their Berkeley apartment on Jan. 23 alongside their two cats, and authorities still aren't sure exactly what happened—which is a big concern for the tenants of the other three units in the building where the couple...
Arrests, Injuries as Protesters
Clash at Pro-Trump Rally
Apr 15, 2017 4:25 PM CDT
Arrests, Injuries as Protesters Clash at Pro-Trump Rally
Right-wing protesters were met with left-wing counterprotesters in California
- Anywhere from nine to more than 15 people were arrested as a pro-Trump rally turned violent Saturday in Berkeley, California. Reuters reports the "Patriots Day" free speech rally was organized by conservative activists, and—according to the
—that included members of the "alt-right," with...
Violent Protests Shut Down
Milo Berkeley Talk
Feb 2, 2017 1:54 AM CST
Violent Protests Shut Down Milo Berkeley Talk
Yiannopoulos accuses left of being scared of free speech
- A talk by far-right commentator Milo Yiannopoulos at the University of California-Berkeley had to be called off Wednesday night as protesters smashed windows, ignited fireworks, and chucked bricks and Molotov cocktails. The university blamed the violence on 150 "masked agitators" it accused of disrupting otherwise peaceful protests against the...
Berkeley Responds to
Student Protests With
Aug 10, 2016 11:37 AM CDT
Berkeley Responds to Student Protests With 'Escape' Door
Yeah, that didn't go over well
- Last year, student protesters stormed the chancellor's suite at California's UC Berkeley, staging a sit-in outside Chancellor Nicholas Dirks' office and later marching to his actual residence. In a response that may have made student-administration relations worse, the university has now installed an emergency exit near Dirks' office,...
6.5K Hurt in Deck
Collapses Since 2003
Jun 18, 2015 7:05 PM CDT
6.5K Hurt in Deck Collapses Since 2003
Dry rot is the usual culprit
- An estimated 6,500 people have been rushed to emergency rooms with injuries from collapsing balconies, while 29—including six college students in Berkeley this week—have been killed since 2003. One reason, experts say, is balconies are particularly vulnerable to dry rot. "It's all about creating a...
Builder Paid $6.5M
in Balcony Suits
Jun 18, 2015 9:38 AM CDT
Berkeley Complex Builder Paid $6.5M in Balcony Suits
And Segue Construction has one lawsuit that's still being litigated
- A spokesman for the Bay Area contractor that built the Berkeley apartments where a balcony collapsed Tuesday , killing six, says the company has "a very good reputation" and has "never had an incident like this before," but a series of recent lawsuits suggests otherwise, the
Dry Rot Blamed
for Balcony Disaster
Jun 17, 2015 6:21 AM CDT
Dry Rot Blamed for Balcony Disaster
Wood in 8-year-old building was crumbling away
- In what should be a wake-up call for property owners, investigators believe the horrific balcony accident that killed six young people and injured seven in Berkeley, Calif., yesterday was caused by a "classic case of dry rot"—even though the building was less than 10 years old. A...
Jun 16, 2015 2:55 PM CDT
Berkeley Balcony 'Disintegrates,' Killing 6
Ireland's foreign affairs minister says a number of young Irish students died
- The fourth-floor balcony of an apartment building, crammed with Irish students celebrating a 21st birthday, collapsed early this morning in Berkeley, killing six and leaving seven others with injuries police are describing as "very serious and potentially life-threatening," Reuters reports. "We don't know what happened,"...
Wireless Group: Radiation Warnings Will 'Stoke Fear'
Jun 10, 2015 11:01 AM CDT
Wireless Group: Radiation Warnings Will 'Stoke Fear'
Industry association says Berkeley's cellphone warning violates First Amendment
- Last month, the city council in Berkeley, Calif., unanimously approved a measure that would require all cellphones sold within the city to come with a warning notice that informs consumers about radiation exposure. But a wireless industry trade group is now suing the city, saying that the warning violates sellers'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Jackass Star Bam Margera Reportedly on Ventilator
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.