Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nearly 70 Face Prison for
Attending Nigerian Wedding
Aug 29, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
Nearly 70 Face Prison for Attending Nigerian Wedding
It was a gay wedding, and homosexuality is outlawed in the African nation
- Police in Nigeria said Tuesday they detained at least 67 people celebrating a gay wedding in one of the largest mass detentions targeting homosexuality, which is outlawed in the West African country. The "gay suspects" were arrested in southern Delta state's Ekpan town about 2am Monday at an...
Extradited Nigerian Allegedly
Pushed US Teen to Suicide
Aug 15, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
Extradited Nigerian Allegedly Pushed US Teen to Suicide
Samuel Ogoshi and his brother Samson accused in international 'sextortion' scheme
- In March 2022, 17-year-old Jordan DeMay received a message over Instagram from someone threatening to make his nude photo go viral unless the teen coughed up $1,000. DeMay, a high school senior in Michigan, could afford only $300. "I'm kms rn [killing myself right now]. Bc [because]...
They Crossed the Atlantic
on Ship's Rudder
Aug 2, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
They Crossed the Atlantic on Ship's Rudder
4 Nigerian men survived 14-day journey to arrive in Brazil, where 2 are now seeking asylum
- Four men spent 14 days clinging to the rudder of a ship as it carried them 3,500 miles across the Atlantic Ocean from Nigeria to Brazil. The remarkable journey began in late June, with the departure of a Liberian-flagged ship from Lagos. Roman Ebimene Friday, a 35-year-old from Nigeria'...
Losers Dispute Nigeria's Vote
Mar 1, 2023 4:32 PM CST
Losers Dispute Nigeria's Vote
Ruling party stays in power after low-turnout presidential election
- Election officials declared Bola Tinubu the winner of Nigeria's presidential election Wednesday, keeping the ruling party in power in Africa's most populous nation and raising the specter of protests by opposition supporters who already have called for the vote to be voided. Tinubu, 70, the former governor of...
'It Was Wrong to
Take the Bronzes' and
'Keep Them for 120 Years'
Dec 21, 2022 11:50 AM CST
'It Was Wrong to Take the Bronzes' and 'Keep Them for 120 Years'
Germany returns 20 Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- The kingdom of Benin—whose earthen walls were said to be on par with those of the Great Wall of China—stood from the 11th century until 1897. That was the year the British invaded what's now southern Nigeria, burned it down, and made off with the Benin Bronzes:...
Chess Prodigy, 12,
Is Granted Asylum
Dec 15, 2022 12:37 PM CST
Chess Prodigy, 12, Is Granted Asylum
Nigerian Tani Adewumi, 12, can now travel globally for chess competitions
- In 2019, 8-year-old Tanitoluwa "Tani" Adewumi defeated 73 of the best players in his age group at a New York state chess championship, breaking a record by doing so. Now, three years later, he "just won his biggest match" ever, per NPR : The now-12-year-old Nigerian boy and his...
'Cow Male Genitals'
Wasn't Quite That
Sep 9, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
Shipment of 'Cow Male Genitals' Wasn't Quite That
Effort to smuggle thousands of donkey penises to Hong Kong was busted
- Nigerian officials have seized thousands of donkey penises that were about to be exported to Hong Kong, an official said on Thursday. Sacks of the donkey male genitals were seized at the international airport in Lagos, Nigeria's largest city, said Sambo Dangaladima, the Nigeria Customs Service area commander. The...
London Museum to Return
Looted Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
Aug 7, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
London Museum to Return Looted Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
It's 'very clear that these objects were acquired through force,' Horniman says
: With cultural institutions under pressure to repatriate artifacts taken during the colonial era, a museum in London agreed Sunday to return Benin Bronzes looted in the late 19th century from what is now Nigeria. The Horniman Museum and Gardens said a Nigerian commission asked earlier this year that it...
2 Students Kidnapped
8 Years Ago Found in Nigeria
Jul 27, 2022 5:01 PM CDT
2 Students Kidnapped 8 Years Ago Found in Nigeria
Boko Haram took nearly 300 girls from school in 2014
- Two female students taken in the middle of the night by Boko Haram militants from a secondary school in 2014 have been found and are receiving medical treatment, the Nigerian army said. The women apparently gave birth while held by the militants, the BBC reports, and had their children with...
'Everybody Standing Was
Bombarded With Bullets'
Jun 6, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
'Everybody Standing Was Bombarded With Bullets'
50 people feared dead in church massacre in Nigeria, and the motive is unclear
- As attackers opened fire on worshippers inside a Catholic church in southwestern Nigeria, other gunmen waited outside to kill those who tried to flee, church officials and witnesses said Monday. At least 50 people including children were killed in the attack, according to a state lawmaker from the area. Worshippers...
Stampede at Event for Poor
Kills 31, Including Children
May 28, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Stampede at Event for Poor Kills 31, Including Children
People lined up hours early at Shop for Free program in Nigeria
- A stampede Saturday at a church charity event intended to offer hope to the needy left 31 people dead and seven injured in southern Nigeria, police said. One witness said the dead included a pregnant woman and many children, the AP reports. The stampede at the event organized by the...
More Than 150
After Train Attack
Apr 4, 2022 4:29 PM CDT
More Than 150 Unaccounted for After Train Attack
Authorities say some are being held for ransom after Nigeria attack
- At least 168 people are unaccounted for after a deadly attack on a train in northwest Nigeria, authorities say. The Nigerian Railway Corporation said Sunday that cell phones of more than 140 passengers from the Abuja-Kaduna train have been switched off or are ringing without being answered since the attack...
Hostage Negotiator Receives
Call From Own Abducted Wife
Jan 8, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Hostage Negotiator Receives Call From Own Abducted Wife
'WSJ' profiles Abdullahi Tumburkai, who has assumed unwanted role of go-between
Wall Street Journal
profiles a hostage negotiator in Nigeria named Abdullahi Tumburkai, though he doesn't hold that role in any official capacity. Instead, the 46-year-old was thrust into the job when his two brothers were kidnapped last year. In phone calls with their abductors, he managed to lower...
Japan Does a 180 on
Controversial Omicron Policy
Dec 2, 2021 12:07 AM CST
Japan Does a 180 on Controversial Omicron Policy
And more on what omicron means around the globe
Just one day after announcing a recommendation that quickly became quite controversial, Japan is changing its tune. The country's transport ministry on Thursday said it was retracting its request that airlines stop taking reservations for people coming in to Japan until the new year, the AP reports.
in 48 Hours
Nov 19, 2021 12:07 PM CST
Fans Send Millionaire Artist $448K in 48 Hours
Afrobeats artist Davido of Nigeria apparently wanted to get his luxury car out of port
- Nigerian-American Afrobeats star Davido is a multimillionaire, notes the
. But that didn't keep him from asking fans for donations this week. And they jumped at the opportunity to help "one of the biggest African stars in the world," per the BBC . The singer with 31.6...
2nd US Case of
Nov 18, 2021 6:33 AM CST
2nd US Case of Monkeypox Emerges
Maryland resident recently returned from Nigeria, as with the earlier case in Texas
- Monkeypox, a rare viral illness that usually occurs in Central and Western Africa, has been identified in a second US resident since July. A Maryland resident who recently returned from Nigeria is in isolation with mild symptoms of the virus first detected in lab monkeys, the Maryland Department of Health...
Building Collapse in Upscale
Lagos Area Kills at Least 3
Nov 1, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Building Collapse in Upscale Lagos Area Kills at Least 3
Dozens more are missing, authorities say
- A 21-story apartment building under construction collapsed in an upscale area of Nigeria's largest city, killing at least three people and leaving dozens more missing, officials and witnesses said on Monday. Lagos Police Commissioner Hakeem Odumosu confirmed the deaths, but added that three survivors had been pulled from the...
Trump Has Some Thoughts
on Nigeria's Twitter Ban
Jun 9, 2021 11:14 AM CDT
Trump Has Some Thoughts on Nigeria's Twitter Ban
Former president says more countries should do the same: 'Perhaps I should have done it'
- Donald Trump is praising Nigeria for banning Twitter after it blocked a tweet from the country's president—which is apparently how the former president wishes things went down when social networks cracked down on him. China, North Korea, and Iran already ban social networks. But "more COUNTRIES should...
Militant Foes: Boko
Haram's Leader Is Dead
Jun 7, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Militant Foes: Boko Haram's Leader Is Dead
Abubakar Shekau reportedly died in May 18 suicide
- Big news out of Nigeria about Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, courtesy of the Islamic State West African Province militant group, which splintered off from Boko Haram five years ago. "God has judged him by sending him to heaven," ISWAP chief Abu Musab al-Barnawi can be heard saying...
After Nation's 'Deeply
a Twitter Probe
Jun 5, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
After Nation's 'Deeply Concerning' Move, a Twitter Probe
Nigeria has suspended social media platform indefinitely after president's tweet was removed
- On Wednesday, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari saw one of his tweets removed, after he threatened to punish secessionists in the region. Two days later, the country's Federal Ministry of Information and Culture put up its own tweet, with an abrupt announcement. "The Federal Government has suspended, indefinitely, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.