Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Militant Foes: Boko
Haram's Leader Is Dead
Jun 7, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Militant Foes: Boko Haram's Leader Is Dead
Abubakar Shekau reportedly died in May 18 suicide
- Big news out of Nigeria about Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, courtesy of the Islamic State West African Province militant group, which splintered off from Boko Haram five years ago. "God has judged him by sending him to heaven," ISWAP chief Abu Musab al-Barnawi can be heard saying...
After Nation's 'Deeply
a Twitter Probe
Jun 5, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
After Nation's 'Deeply Concerning' Move, a Twitter Probe
Nigeria has suspended social media platform indefinitely after president's tweet was removed
- On Wednesday, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari saw one of his tweets removed, after he threatened to punish secessionists in the region. Two days later, the country's Federal Ministry of Information and Culture put up its own tweet, with an abrupt announcement. "The Federal Government has suspended, indefinitely, the...
Militants Attack, and
1.8K Prisoners Escape
Apr 7, 2021 2:30 AM CDT
Militants Attack, and 1.8K Prisoners Escape
Nigeria violence blamed on rebel group that wants secession
- Militants armed with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades launched a series of coordinated attacks overnight in southeastern Nigeria, targeting a prison where more than 1,800 inmates then managed to escape, authorities said Monday. The attacks began around 2am in the town of Owerri in Imo state and lasted for...
'Armed Bandits' Abduct
39 Nigerian Students
Mar 14, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
'Armed Bandits' Abduct 39 Nigerian Students
The incident comes weeks after more than 300 girls were kidnapped
- Gunmen have kidnapped 39 students from a college in northwestern Nigeria. The Thursday attack on the Federal College of Forestry Mechanization in Kaduna state came just weeks after a similar incident in which 317 girls were abducted from a boarding school in the country’s Zamfara state, the AP reports....
Mar 2, 2021 12:00 AM CST
279 Kidnapped Schoolgirls Freed
More than 300 were taken last week from boarding school
- Hundreds of Nigerian schoolgirls abducted last week from a boarding school in the northwestern Zamfara state have been released, the state’s governor said Tuesday. Zamfara state governor Bello Matawalle announced that 279 girls have been freed, the AP reports. Gunmen abducted the girls from the Government Girls Junior Secondary...
42 Freed After Abduction,
With a President's Warning
Feb 27, 2021 5:30 AM CST
42 Freed After Abduction, With a President's Warning
Those released in Nigeria include 27 students seized from school in northern part of country
- An official says 42 people, including 27 students who were abducted two weeks ago from a school in northern Nigeria, have been freed. Mary Noel-Berje, chief press secretary for the Niger state governor, told the AP on Saturday that those released have arrived in the state capital, Minna. "We...
317 Girls Kidnapped
From Nigerian School
Feb 26, 2021 10:38 AM CST
317 Girls Kidnapped From Nigerian School
'We are only hoping on divine intervention'
- Gunmen abducted 317 girls from a boarding school in northern Nigeria on Friday, the latest in a series of mass kidnappings of students in the West African nation, per the AP . Police and the military have begun joint operations to rescue the girls after the attack at the Girls Science...
Freed Schoolboys Recount
Terrifying 6-Day Ordeal
Dec 23, 2020 6:14 PM CST
Freed Schoolboys Recount Terrifying 6-Day Ordeal
They say Nigeria kidnappers posed as soldiers
- Some of the 344 schoolboys kidnapped in Nigeria earlier this month have spoken out about their terrifying six-day ordeal. The boys, who were taken from dormitories at the Kankara Government Science School in northwest Nigeria on Dec. 11, say they were marched into the bush by a group of around...
Extremists Release Hundreds
of Kidnapped Schoolboys
Dec 18, 2020 2:48 AM CST
Extremists Release Hundreds of Kidnapped Schoolboys
Nigerian government won't say whether it paid ransom
- More than 300 schoolboys abducted last week by armed men in northwest Nigeria have been released, a government official said Thursday. In an announcement on Nigerian state TV, Katsina State Gov. Aminu Bello Masari said the 344 boarding school students were turned over to security officials and are being brought...
Boko Haram Kidnaps
More Than 300 Students
Dec 15, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Boko Haram Kidnaps More Than 300 Students
This time, boys were abducted from a school in Nigeria
- Nigeria's Boko Haram jihadi rebels have claimed responsibility for the abduction of hundreds of students in one of the largest attacks in years on a boys school in northern Katsina state, per the AP . More than 330 students are missing from the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara after...
'They Were All Dead': SEAL
Team Saves US Missionary
Oct 31, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
'They Were All Dead': SEAL Team Saves US Missionary
Philip Walton is rescued from captors in Nigeria, officials say
- The Navy's elite SEAL Team 6 rescued an American hostage Saturday in an operation that apparently killed most of his captors, ABC News reports. According to US officials, the commandos managed to free 27-year-old Philip Walton in Nigeria while killing six of his seven captors. "They were all...
'Soldiers Had One Intention:
to Kill Without Consequences'
Oct 22, 2020 12:08 AM CDT
'Soldiers Had One Intention: to Kill Without Consequences'
Nigerian forces killed 12 peaceful protesters, Amnesty says
- Amnesty International said in a report Wednesday that Nigeria's security forces fired upon two large gatherings of peaceful protesters Tuesday night, killing 12 people calling for an end to police brutality. At least 56 people have died during two weeks of widespread demonstrations against police violence, including 38 on...
Auschwitz Memorial Chief:
Let Me Serve Time for Boy, 13
Oct 1, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Auschwitz Memorial Chief: Let Me Serve Time for Boy, 13
Nigeria's Omar Farouq has been sentenced to 10 years for blasphemy
- As director of the Auschwitz Memorial, Piotr Cywinski has a solid grasp of the horrors of detention. He's ready to dive in anyway. Cywinski has sent a letter to Nigeria's president requesting the pardon of a 13-year-old boy sentenced by a Sharia court to 10 years in prison...
DNA Slavery Study
Jul 24, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
DNA Slavery Study Yields Surprises
More enslaved people came to the US from Nigeria than previously thought, researchers say
- Using historical records has been the most traditional way to shed light on the dark stain of slavery in the United States. Now, per new research that the
calls "the largest DNA study to examine African ancestry in the Americas," gene analysis is helping put more pieces...
'Extremely Exciting' Photos
Emerge of Rare Great Apes
Jul 9, 2020 12:42 PM CDT
'Extremely Exciting' Photos Emerge of Rare Great Apes
Cross River gorillas photographed with babies in Nigeria
- You're not likely to see a Cross River gorilla in person, but you can see a whole troop in a series of rare photos. Cross River gorillas are the most endangered subspecies of ape, with only 300 known to live in the wild, reports the BBC . The gorillas—which...
She's 68, He's 77.
Meet Their New Twins
Apr 23, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
She's 68, He's 77. Meet Their New Twins
Nigeria's Margaret and Noah Adenuga have babies via IVF, nearly 50 years after they started trying
- A Nigerian woman has become a first-time mother at age 68. Margaret Adenuga—perhaps the oldest first-time mother in Africa, per the
—underwent three in vitro fertilization procedures before finding success with her fourth. She and husband Noah Adenuga, 77, then welcomed twins at the Lagos University Teaching...
New Travel Ban
Feb 1, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Trump Issues New Travel Ban
But critics decry the move as racist or nakedly political
- President Trump has expanded his 2017 travel ban to include six more countries with sizeable Muslim populations,
reports. Announced Friday, the new plan will block overseas visas for nationals of Nigeria, Myanmar, Kyrgyzstan, and Eritrea, and keep people from Tanzania and Sudan from entering America via the diversity...
After Tour: I'm
Moving to Africa
Nov 29, 2019 5:51 AM CST
Twitter CEO After Tour: I'm Moving to Africa
Jack Dorsey will spend up to half of 2020 on the continent
- Jack Dorsey is moving to Africa. The Twitter and Square CEO announced his plan in a Wednesday tweet after wrapping up a nearly three-week tour of the continent, with stops in Ghana, Nigeria, Ethiopia, and South Africa. "Sad to be leaving the continent...for now," he wrote, adding,...
80 Charged in Massive
Love Scam Run Out of LA
Aug 23, 2019 8:54 AM CDT
80 Charged in Massive Love Scam Run Out of LA
Man named Valentine, another Nigerian citizen are accused masterminds of scheme out of California
- The feds say elderly women and businesses were the perpetrators' targets, and that they managed to squeeze at least $6 million out of their victims in what prosecutors are calling "one of the largest cases of its kind in US history." CNN reports on the arrests Thursday of...
The Plane Prepped for Takeoff.
Then, a Man From the Bushes
in case you missed it
Jul 27, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
The Plane Prepped for Takeoff. Then, a Man From the Bushes
Passengers on Azman Air flight in Nigeria filled with 'fear and panic' as man climbs onto wing
- "Fear and panic" is how Africanews describes the mood in the cabin of an Azman Air flight in Nigeria on Friday, though the odd happening ended with no one getting hurt. CNN reports the incident took place in the domestic section of Murtala Muhammed International airport in the nation'...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.