Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just
Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Oct 31, 2022 11:53 AM CDT
Shanghai Disney Visitors Just Got an Unpleasant Surprise
Park closed indefinitely on Monday, and guests inside can't leave till they show negative COVID test
- An NPR headline from early Monday morning notes that, due to COVID, Shanghai Disney and its adjacent shopping community will be closed indefinitely from Halloween on forward. What that headline fails to mention is that all the visitors at the theme park when officials decided to abruptly close the gates...
Tried to Lock
Everyone In an Ikea.
Aug 15, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Health Officials Tried to Lock Everyone In an Ikea. Then, Chaos
Patrons bust out of Shanghai store after lockdown due to customer's close contact with COVID patient
- Usually when it's closing time at a store, patrons calmly make their final purchases and exit. The scene was a bit more chaotic over the weekend at an Ikea in Shanghai after health authorities tried to lock everyone inside following a coronavirus report tied to one of the customers....
This Might Be the Biggest
Data Breach in History
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 9, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
This Might Be the Biggest Data Breach in History
Hackers claim they have records of 1B Chinese people, taken from a Shanghai police database
- Hackers claim to have obtained a trove of data on 1 billion Chinese people from a Shanghai police database in a leak that, if confirmed, could be one of the largest data breaches in history. In a post on the online hacking forum Breach Forums last week, someone using the...
to Lift 2-Month Lockdown
May 31, 2022 2:28 PM CDT
Shanghai Prepares to Lift 2-Month Lockdown
'I could die' from happiness, resident says
- Shanghai authorities say they will take major steps Wednesday toward reopening China's largest city after a two-month COVID-19 lockdown that has set back the national economy and largely confined millions of people to their homes. Already, a steady stream of people strolled in the Bund, the city's historic...
Zero Cars Were Sold
in Shanghai Last Month
May 17, 2022 3:21 PM CDT
Zero Cars Were Sold in Shanghai Last Month
Lockdown hit city's economy hard
- Shanghai is finally beginning to emerge from a long, harsh lockdown that was initially supposed to last only a few days—but the economic damage will take time to recover from. In what Bloomberg sees as evidence of how strict the lockdown was, not a single car was sold in...
Outrage in China
After Live Patient
Found in Body Bag
May 3, 2022 3:09 PM CDT
Outrage in China After Live Patient Found in Body Bag
Shanghai incident called a sign of 'chaos' under zero COVID strategy
- An elderly COVID patient in Shanghai is lucky someone decided to double check the body bag before sending it to the morgue. Videos of the incident, which occurred Sunday, show mortuary workers putting a body bag into a vehicle and then pulling it back out, opening it, and realizing that...
Beijing Begins Mass Testing
Amid Fears of Lockdown
Apr 25, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Beijing Begins Mass Testing Amid Fears of Lockdown
One area of capital is restricted as cases rise
- China's capital, Beijing, began mass testing of more than 3 million people on Monday and restricted residents in one part of the city to their compounds, sparking worries of a wider Shanghai-style lockdown . While only 70 cases have been found so far in the city of more than 21...
Residents Complain About
Being Fenced Off in Shanghai
Apr 24, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Residents Complain About Being Fenced Off in Shanghai
Government takes down online video about conditions during COVID lockdown
- Shanghai residents are objecting to the Chinese government's stepped-up lockdown to keep the coronavirus from spreading in the city, a campaign that now includes fencing off streets and residential buildings. "This is so disrespectful of the rights of the people inside, using metal barriers to enclose them like...
COVID Death Count
Apr 21, 2022 3:47 AM CDT
Shanghai's Low COVID Death Count Raises Questions
In most cases, deaths are ascribed to underlying diseases, not COVID
- Lu Muying died on April 1 in a government quarantine facility in Shanghai, with her family on the phone as doctors tried to resuscitate her. She had tested positive for COVID-19 in late March and was moved there in line with government policy that all COVID cases be centrally isolated....
Isn't Going Well
Apr 18, 2022 7:42 AM CDT
Shanghai's Lockdown Isn't Going Well
First deaths in new COVID outbreak reported as food, supplies, tempers run short
- Shanghai authorities on Monday reported the first COVID-19 deaths in the latest outbreak in China’s most populous and wealthiest city. All three people who died were elderly, had underlying diseases such as diabetes and hypertension, and had not been vaccinated against the coronavirus, city Health Commission inspector Wu Ganyu...
COVID Is Surging in Shanghai.
Why Are There No Deaths?
Apr 11, 2022 3:15 AM CDT
COVID Is Surging in Shanghai. Why Are There No Deaths?
The city's harsh virus-containment policies may prevent serious illness, but human cost is high
- Since March 1, the city of Shanghai has reported more than 130,000 COVID cases, no deaths, and a single severe case. These statistics stand out "compared with outbreaks elsewhere," reports the
Wall Street Journal.
For example, Hong Kong has seen deaths sharply rise recently, despite following a...
Shanghai Officials Fired
Over COVID Response
Apr 8, 2022 4:03 AM CDT
Shanghai Officials Fired Over COVID Response
Authorities say they failed to control outbreak
- Three local officials in Shanghai have been sacked over a slack response to the COVID-19 outbreak in China’s largest city, where residents are complaining of harsh lockdown conditions leading to shortages of food and basic necessities. An official notice Friday gave no details of the allegations against the three...
Shanghai Residents Are
Running Out of Food
Apr 7, 2022 8:58 AM CDT
Shanghai Residents Are Running Out of Food
Lockdown has been extended indefinitely
- Shanghai's phased lockdown to stamp out a COVID outbreak was not a success—after locking down one half of the city, then the other, a lockdown of both halves of the city has been extended indefinitely and case numbers have hit new records six days in a row. Public...
Shanghai Locks Down
Other Half of City
Apr 1, 2022 4:20 AM CDT
Shanghai Locks Down Other Half of City
West side is locked down, but lockdowns on east side could be extended
- About 16 million residents in Shanghai are being tested for the coronavirus during the second stage of the lockdown that shifted Friday to the western half of China's biggest city and financial capital. Meanwhile, residents of Shanghai’s eastern districts who were supposed to be released from four days...
China's Economy Slips
Below a Key Threshold
Mar 31, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
China's Economy Slips Below a Key Threshold
Activity in manufacturing, services contract for first time since February 2020
- The omicron variant of COVID-19 is hitting the world's second-largest economy hard. Amid efforts at containment, China's official Purchasing Managers' Index for the manufacturing sector dropped below 50 on the 100-point scale in March, the National Bureau of Statistics said Thursday, meaning activity contracted after four straight months...
Shanghai Begins Unusual
Phased COVID Shutdown
Mar 28, 2022 6:19 AM CDT
Shanghai Begins Unusual Phased COVID Shutdown
City of 26M will be locked down one half at a time
- COVID lockdowns may be nonexistent in the US these days, but not so in China: Its biggest city, Shanghai, begins a massive shutdown on Monday that will play out in two phases, reports CNBC . Those who live of east of the Huangpu River, which divides the city, will be shut...
Delta Flight to China Turns Back
Dec 28, 2021 11:30 AM CST
Delta Flight to China Turns Back
Airline blames new COVID cleaning rules at Shanghai airport
- With coronavirus cases climbing and the Winter Olympics in Beijing nearing, China is rigorously following its zero COVID policies. Delta Air Lines has blamed one of the strategies at the Shanghai airport after a flight from Seattle turned around, midair, last week, rather than continue on to China, CNN reports....
34K Tested in Park After
Positive Test in Shanghai
Nov 1, 2021 12:58 PM CDT
34K Tested in Park After Positive Test in Shanghai
Visitors had to wait hours to leave Shanghai Disney
- Thousands of visitors who went to the Shanghai Disney Resort for a Halloween carnival Sunday ended up staying a lot longer than planned. Almost 34,000 visitors and staff members had to wait hours to be tested for COVID-19 before they could leave the park, the BBC reports. Authorities ordered...
Museum Dumps a Most
Jun 18, 2021 2:44 PM CDT
Museum Dumps a Most Controversial Exhibit
Shanghai's OCAT gallery apologizes for Song Ta's display that ranked women from 'prettiest to ugliest'
- One of China's most respected modern museums is taking heat for a multimedia exhibit that used university students as its unwitting subjects. The
South China Morning Post
and BBC note the artwork by male artist Song Ta at Shanghai's OCT Contemporary Art Terminal, or OCAT, was displayed under...
Ever See a Building Walk
Before? Here's Your Chance
Oct 30, 2020 8:38 AM CDT
Ever See a Building Walk Before? Here's Your Chance
Historic 85-year-old school moved to new site via 200 robotic 'legs' in Shanghai
- It took nearly three weeks, but the Lagena Primary School in Shanghai has been relocated to its new home. If you happened to have been in the Huangpu district earlier this month, you would've seen exactly how it was moved 200 feet to its new space, and you probably...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.