Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 18, 2023 12:13 PM CDT
Bill Maher Won't Return Amid Strike After All
HBO host cites possible progress in talks, will wait to see what happens
- Bill Maher is following the lead of Drew Barrymore —he has scrapped plans to resume his HBO talk show amid the Hollywood writers' strike, per the Hollywood Reporter . Maher cited apparent progress in negotiations. "My decision to return to work was made when it seemed nothing was happening...
In One Week, Late Night
Could Take a Hard Hit
Apr 24, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
In One Week, Late Night Could Take a Hard Hit
Looming Hollywood writers strike will affect talk shows, 'SNL' first if deal isn't reached by May 1
- May 1 is the deadline for Hollywood writers, represented by the Writers Guild of America, to reach a contract agreement with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, and if no such deal is struck, the late-night TV arena will be the first to say goodbye to new episodes,...
'What He Did
to Me Was
Aug 8, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
Cuomo Accuser: 'What He Did to Me Was a Crime'
'Executive Assistant #1' comes forward
- Bill Maher has joined the chorus calling for Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo to resign. Maher opened his HBO show Friday night by raising the independent New York investigation released last week that found Cuomo sexually harassed female employees and other women. Maher pointed out that it doesn't look good...
Bill Maher's Positive Test
Ends 28-Year Show Streak
May 14, 2021 12:06 PM CDT
Bill Maher's Positive Test Ends 28-Year Show Streak
Host, who was fully vaccinated, feels 'perfectly fine'
- It's not just within the New York Yankees organization that vaccinated people are testing positive for COVID. Bill Maher has also tested positive despite being fully vaccinated, HBO said Friday, per
host "is asymptomatic and feels fine," the company added. Friday's episode...
Bill Maher: Biden Is Not
Aug 15, 2020 9:40 AM CDT
Bill Maher: Biden Is Not 'Comfortably Ahead'
He challenges 2 former candidates to explain why
- Yes, Joe Biden leads in all the polls. But Bill Maher doesn't understand why the lead isn't bigger less than three months before Election Day—and he challenged two former presidential candidates to explain it. "Biden's ahead, but he's not, to my view, comfortably ahead....
Accuser Has a
for Bill Maher
Mar 8, 2020 8:53 AM CDT
Chris Matthews' Accuser Has a Succinct Answer for Bill Maher
'Real Time' host had been dismissive of Laura Bassett's accusations
- On Friday night, Bill Maher defended Chris Matthews, who resigned over sexual harassment allegations, and criticized the MSNBC host's accuser with a mocking "Thank you, Rosa Parks." One of Maher's
guests, Caitlin Flanagan of the
, added, "How fragile can one woman be?"...
Nov 2, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
Ronan Farrow: Let's Revisit Bill Clinton Rape Claim
Remember Juanita Broaddrick?
- Ronan Farrow brought up an old rape accusation Friday on
Real Time with Bill Maher
—one against a former president. It came up after Maher asked how Bill Clinton would have weathered the Monica Lewinsky scandal in today's #MeToo culture, Fox News reports. "Could Bill Clinton, if he...
'We're Not All
as Lucky as
Sep 14, 2019 1:55 PM CDT
James Corden: 'We're Not All as Lucky as Bill Maher'
The late-night host rips Maher about his support for fat-shaming
- James Corden might say he was throwing his weight around. The
Late Late Show
host delved out a little social commentary Thursday in response to Bill Maher's recent defense of fat-shaming, BuzzFeed reports. "Fat-shaming doesn't need to end; it needs to make a comeback," Maher said...
Aug 24, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Bill Maher Hopes David Koch's Death Was 'Painful'
The political comedian doesn't hold back
- Bill Maher's reaction to David Koch's death wasn't exactly reverent. In fact, we'll skip the expletive. "He and his brother have done more than anybody to fund climate science deniers for decades" while "the Amazon is burning up," the
Real Time with Bill
Rep. Tlaib: Maybe People
Should Boycott Bill Maher
Aug 18, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Rep. Tlaib: Maybe People Should Boycott Bill Maher
She fires back after HBO host calls anti-Israeli boycott movement a bogus 'purity test'
- Bill Maher has weighed in on the controversy over Israel's decision to bar two congresswomen from visiting that nation—and he's not on the side of the two congresswomen. In the latest episode of his HBO show, Maher called the boycott of Israel supported by Reps. Ilhan Omar...
to Give Trump
to the Saudis
May 18, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Author's Snark to Give Trump to the Saudis Irks Maher Viewers
Fran Lebowitz later expressed 'regret' for remarks, says 'everyone misinterpreted' things
- A guest on Bill Maher's HBO show this week has walked back remarks she made about President Trump that tied to a murdered journalist. Deadline and Fox News report 68-year-old author Fran Lebowitz sat on Maher's stage Friday and took part in a discussion about Trump's time...
Feb 2, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Bill Maher 'Chicken' Dig Triggers New Accusations
The 'Real Time' host cracks a joke with GOP lawmaker Will Hurd
- Bill Maher uncorked a spontaneous remark Friday that some are taking as racist—not the first time his "I'm-cool-enough-to-joke-about-racial-stereotypes" humor has sparked such an accusation, says Deadline . The
Real Time With Bill Maher
host was interviewing GOP Congressman Will Hurd from Texas when an exchange about the Republican...
Blog Is Not
Going Over Well
Nov 18, 2018 6:30 AM CST
Bill Maher's Anti-Stan Lee Blog Is Not Going Over Well
Maher drew a line from Marvel Comics legend to President Trump
- "Don't speak ill of the dead" is apparently not advice Bill Maher lives by. The comedian wrote a blog post about Stan Lee after the Marvel Comics icon died last week , and it was not exactly respectful in tone. "America is in mourning. Deep, deep mourning for...
Friend Bill Maher
Jun 2, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
Friend Bill Maher Cites Roseanne's History of Mental Illness
One of her multiple personalities is 'quite a racist,' he says
- Bill Maher says Roseanne Barr will always be a friend, but he called her out for the volatile tweets that resulted in the cancellation of her show. In his new
Real Time With Bill Maher
on HBO, however, Maher also drew a connection with the 65-year-old Barr's history of...
Ice Cube on
Jun 6, 2017 12:57 PM CDT
Bill Maher Will Face Ice Cube on His Return
First episode back after controversy over racial slur
- Bill Maher's first show in the wake of his n-word controversy will have an interesting guest: Ice Cube. Though Al Franken dropped out, Ice Cube says he'll be there for the June 9 episode, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. On his last show, Maher jokingly referred to himself...
After Slur, Franken Cancels
Appearance on Maher Show
Jun 6, 2017 4:06 AM CDT
After Slur, Franken Cancels Appearance on Maher Show
Spokesman says he was glad to see apology
- Sen. Al Franken has a new book to promote, but he won't be doing so on Bill Maher's
: The Democrat has confirmed that he has canceled his Friday appearance because of Maher's use of the n-word in an interview with Sen. Ben Sasse last week,...
HBO, Bill Maher
Host's Use of
Jun 3, 2017 3:29 PM CDT
HBO, Bill Maher Respond to Host's Use of Racial Slur
Maher 'very sorry' for comment HBO calls 'deeply offensive'
- As the internet fills with calls for Bill Maher's firing, both HBO and Maher himself have responded to the controversy following the host's use of the N-word during Friday's episode of
. In a statement to the
, HBO calls Maher's comment "inexcusable...
Maher's N-Word Bomb
Jun 3, 2017 9:59 AM CDT
Maher's N-Word Bomb Prompts
Quip unleashes calls for comic's head across political spectrum
- Bill Maher sparked widespread condemnation after he used a racial slur on his HBO show
on Friday night. The
New York Times
reports the offending line came while Maher was speaking with Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse about teens and maturity and noted how adults in California dress up...
Bill Maher's Comments on
Letourneau Sex Case Resurface
Feb 24, 2017 12:18 PM CST
Bill Maher's Comments on Letourneau Sex Case Resurface
After he takes some credit for Milo Yiannopoulos' downfall
- "Sunlight is the best disinfectant," said Bill Maher earlier this week in a
New York Times
interview in which he took some credit for triggering the downfall of Milo Yiannopoulos, whose Friday night appearance on Maher's HBO show brought the host an avalanche of criticism. Now, some...
Bill Maher on Milo:
Feb 22, 2017 8:37 AM CST
Bill Maher on Milo: 'You're Welcome'
HBO host answers critics who faulted his booking of Yiannopoulos
- Before his disastrous last few days , Milo Yiannopoulos appeared on Bill Maher's HBO show, and the booking caused Maher all kinds of grief. Now Maher has two words for those critics: "You're welcome." In an interview with the
New York Times
, Maher recalls the general line...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.