Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hotel' Will Really
Make You Think
Jun 28, 2022 6:08 PM CDT
This 'Zero-Star Hotel' Will Really Make You Think
That's the goal, anyway, of art installation by twin brothers erected next to Swiss gas station
- Some people think best in the shower. Others may find they do their best ruminating while lying in bed in the middle of the street next to a gas station. The latter is what Frank and Patrik Riklin are banking on, anyway, with a concept they hope will spur people...
NYPD: This Couple Tried to
Make Off With a Basquiat
May 26, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
NYPD: This Couple Tried to Make Off With a Basquiat
But police say they left gallery without the painting
- It was an audacious and nearly successful move: Police on Wednesday said a man and woman entered a Manhattan gallery on May 14, took a $45,000 painting by Jean-Michel Basquiat from the wall, and began to walk out. They were stopped before making it out of Taglialatella Galleries, however....
Picasso Painted His Lover as a
Sea Creature. Now, a Big Sale
May 18, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
Picasso Painted His Lover as a Sea Creature. Now, a Big Sale
The painting fetched $67.5M
- Being depicted as a tentacled sea creature by your lover may not sound like the highest compliment. But when that lover is Pablo Picasso, well ... it's a whole other story.
Femme nue Couchée
, a painting that imagines Marie-Thérèse Walter as a five-limbed sea creature, sold for...
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies
With a Pandemic Message
May 9, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies With a Pandemic Message
'The body was already so fragile'
- Months after the government sent out $1,200 stimulus checks early in the pandemic, conceptual artist Jill Magid distributed $1,200 in a unique way—she inscribed 120,000 pennies with a message and gave rolls of coins to hundreds of New York City bodegas. The message inscribed on the...
Dumpster Diver Discovers
Major Art Treasure
in case you missed it
Apr 16, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Dumpster Diver Discovers Major Art Treasure
Lucky auto mechanic is now a huge fan of abstract expressionist Francis Hines
- Acting on a tip from a contractor in 2017, auto mechanic Jared Whipple retrieved a bunch of dirt-covered artworks from a dumpster, which was filled with materials from an abandoned barn in nearby Watertown. The haul included hundreds of pieces, including paintings, sculptures, and small drawings. Whipple later learned they...
'We Got a Kick Out of It’
Apr 11, 2022 4:26 PM CDT
Notorious Forgers Explain Themselves: 'We Got a Kick Out of It’
Wolfgang and Helene Beltracchi collected millions before they went to prison
- Wolfgang Beltracchi, notorious forger of 20-century art, had standards. "I have to create something beautiful," he said. "I want to make people happy." With their prison sentences served, Beltracchi and his wife and forgery partner, Helene, have discussed their life of art crimes with Jeannette Fischer,...
on Russia: $46M
Worth of Art
Apr 7, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
Latest Crackdown on Russia: $46M Worth of Art
Customs officials in Finland seize paintings, sculptures, antiquities
- Some $46 million worth of art on loan from Russian galleries to museums in Japan and Italy has been seized on the return trip. Customs officials in Finland seized the paintings, sculptures, and antiquities in three shipments at the Vaalimaa crossing of the Finland-Russia border on Friday and Saturday, in...
Turns Out, Rembrandt
Himself Painted This One
Apr 1, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
Turns Out, Rembrandt Himself Painted This One
Experts say painting long attributed to a pupil is by the Dutch master himself
- A 1638 painting dubbed
Landscape with Arched Bridge
suddenly just became a lot more valuable. For the past three decades, the painting has been attributed to Govert Flinck, a student of 17th-century Dutch master painter Rembrandt van Rijn. But as the
reports, it has just been confirmed to be...
Bids on This Banksy Art
'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Mar 29, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Bids on This Banksy Art 'Escalated Quickly,' for a Cause
Proceeds from 'CND Soldiers,' which sold for $106K, will all go to Kyiv children's hospital
- An unknown donor has sold off a piece of anti-war Banksy art, with the funds raised from the sale earmarked for Ukraine's largest children's hospital. The BBC reports that the UK artist's "CND Soldiers" was auctioned off for just north of $106,000, which will be...
A Hermit's Art Is Famous Due
to His Landlords. Who Owns It?
Feb 13, 2022 5:40 PM CST
A Hermit's Art Is Famous Due to His Landlords. Who Owns It?
That question, specifically about Henry Darger, will get its day in court
- As far as outsider—or self-taught—artists go, Henry Darger is one of the greats. The Chicago janitor lived as a hermit and died in 1973 at age 81, "leaving a single room crammed with his colorful illustrations, a 15,000-page book, and no immediate surviving relatives," reports...
The Painting's Heads Had No
Eyes. Then, Suddenly, They Did
Feb 10, 2022 11:59 AM CST
The Painting's Heads Had No Eyes. Then, Suddenly, They Did
'Bored' security guard at Russia's Yeltsin Center is accused of doodling on painting insured for $1M
- When most people working a monotonous shift get bored, they might listen to a podcast, text a friend, or play a round of Wordle . Or, if you're a security guard at a museum, you might whip out a ballpoint pen and deface a piece of avant-garde art. The
Vandals Scratch Names
Over 'Priceless' Rock Art
Jan 18, 2022 10:21 AM CST
Vandals Scratch Names Over 'Priceless' Rock Art
Repaired Big Bend petroglyph will never be the same
- Some 4,000 to 8,500 years after a Native American artist made an etching in a 30-million-year-old volcanic boulder at what is now Texas' Big Bend National Park, visitors decided to leave their mark, too—directly on top. Four names and the date—Dec. 26, 2021—were carved across...
Hidden Work by
'the Painter of Maine'
Surfaces in Bank Vault
Jan 14, 2022 12:25 PM CST
Hidden Work by 'the Painter of Maine' Surfaces in Bank Vault
Marsden Hartley's 'Friend Against the Wind' last seen in public 40 years ago
- A painting by the American modernist Marsden Hartley that had been out of public sight for 40 years was located in a bank vault, a significant step toward uncovering the works of an increasingly appreciated artist who considered himself "the painter of Maine," reports the AP . The painting,...
Is Still Suing
Jan 14, 2022 1:56 AM CST
After Hiccup, 'Nirvana Baby' Is Still Suing
Spencer Elden meets judge's deadline to file amended lawsuit
baby," now a 30-year-old man, is still suing Nirvana over the iconic album cover. Spencer Elden's complaint was dismissed earlier this month on a technicality, and late Wednesday Elden's legal team filed an amended complaint to reinstate the claims,
Could Shake Up
the Art World
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 1, 2022 11:59 AM CST
This Drawing Could Shake Up the Art World
It may be the first Albrecht Dürer drawing found in nearly a century
New York Times
is calling it "one of the most extraordinary discoveries of Renaissance artwork in years," a find made all the more remarkable because it fell into a man's hands for just $30. That's how much an unidentified man spent in 2016 on the...
Frida Kahlo's Legend Grows
With Record Auction Sale
Nov 17, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Frida Kahlo's Legend Grows With Record Auction Sale
'Diego and I' self-portrait sets $34.9M record for Latin American artist
- A self-portrait of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, also featuring her husband, has become the most valuable work by a Latin American artist ever to sell at auction. Kahlo's "Diego and I"—a close-up of the artist's face with a miniature portrait of her husband, Mexican muralist...
University of Hong Kong
Wants 'Pillar of Shame' to Go
Nov 12, 2021 7:20 AM CST
University of Hong Kong Wants 'Pillar of Shame' to Go
Creator requests immunity from national security law to remove pro-democracy symbol
- The Danish sculptor behind one of the last pro-democracy symbols in Hong Kong is asking authorities for legal protection so he can remove it at the request of the University of Hong Kong. The Pillar of Shame, a 26-foot-tall copper sculpture depicting torn and twisted bodies—created in honor of...
Group 'Destroys' $20K Warhol
Sketch by Hiding It Amid Fakes
Oct 26, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Group 'Destroys' $20K Warhol Sketch by Hiding It Amid Fakes
MSCHF stunt meant to 'destroy any future confidence in the veracity of the work'
- The art collective that brought you Lil Nas X's Satan Shoes says it's latest stunt involved "destroying" a one-of-a kind Andy Warhol sketch. Brooklyn-based MSCHF (pronounced "mischief") acquired Warhol's "Fairies," a 1954 minimalist ink sketch of three nude fairies playing with a...
Wiped From Facebook, Vienna's
Nude Art Moves to OnlyFans
Oct 21, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Wiped From Facebook, Vienna's Nude Art Moves to OnlyFans
City's tourism board speaks out on social media censorship
- Have you checked out the Vienna tourism board's hot new account on adults-only OnlyFans? It's full of nudity, though of the century-old artistic kind. As the
reports, Vienna museums have come up against bans and other forms of censure after sharing nude artworks on more traditional social...
Shredded Banksy Sells
Way Higher Than Expected
Oct 14, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Shredded Banksy Sells Way Higher Than Expected
Fetches $25.4M at Sotheby's, compared to $1.4M for un-shredded price
How much for a shredded Banksy? Try $25.4 million. A piece that was deliberately shredded in a prank sold to an anonymous Asian buyer for that amount at Sotheby's in London on Thursday, reports the
Wall Street Journal .
That is way higher than expected.
Our original story
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Fatally Forgetting His Son in Car, Dad Kills Self
Video: Bison Attacks Family in Yellowstone
Investigators: Face Scratches a Clue to ER Actress's Death
'This Is the Smoking Gun,' Legal Analyst Says
Reports: Secret Service Agents Deny Bombshell Claim
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.