Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Find Like This Comes
'Once in a Generation'
in case you missed it
Oct 1, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
A Find Like This Comes 'Once in a Generation'
Long-lost work by old master Artemisia Gentileschi rediscovered in palace storage
- England's King Charles I owned seven paintings by Artemisia Gentileschi, a 17th-century Italian artist born to a father who associated with the famous realist painter Caravaggio. She is now considered "one of the finest artists of her era, up there with Caravaggio," per
, but unfortunately for...
Want Your Own Bob Ross?
Prepare to Shell Out Millions
Sep 20, 2023 8:48 AM CDT
Want Your Own Bob Ross? Prepare to Shell Out Millions
His first creation from 'The Joy of Painting' is now on offer in a rare sale
- It was the very first time Bob Ross stood at his easel and taught the world how to paint. On the January 1983 premiere episode of
The Joy of Painting
, he crafted a woodland scene in autumn, a mix of warm browns and yellows.
A Walk in the Woods
'Take the Money and Run' Artist
Told to Bring Back the Money
Sep 19, 2023 2:10 AM CDT
'Take the Money and Run' Artist Told to Bring Back the Money
Jens Haaning ordered to return money to museum after he produced blank canvases
- The Danish artist who took the money and ran—specifically, he took the money Denmark's Kunsten Museum of Modern Art gave him to reproduce two of his prior works, but instead of recreating them he simply gave the museum two blank canvases he called "Take the Money and...
$4 Thrift Store Find
Could Fetch $250K
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 4, 2023 3:55 PM CDT
$4 Thrift Store Find Could Fetch $250K
Bonhams Skinner to auction painting by NC Wyeth that has been lost for 80 years
- If you've been paying attention to the news , you know not to overlook art for sale at thrift stores. Now we have one more reason to go rummaging: As the
reports, a New Hampshire woman looking for frames to reuse at a thrift store in Manchester ended...
Museum Pays Homage
to Rembrandt With Tattoos
Jun 22, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
Museum Pays Homage to Rembrandt With Tattoos
Dutch tattoo artist Henk Schiffmaker calls the project 'highbrow to lowbrow'
- Henk Schiffmaker's needle whirrs as he tattoos the familiar lines of an elephant on Lilian Rachmaran's back. “Highbrow to lowbrow” is how the famous Dutch tattoo artist describes his latest project, per the AP —inking sketches by Rembrandt van Rijn onto the skin of visitors to...
Misidentified Painting Sold for
$40K Could Now Fetch $8M
Jun 20, 2023 11:08 AM CDT
Misidentified Painting Sold for $40K Could Now Fetch $8M
Sotheby's to sell original work by old master Peter Paul Rubens, featuring St. Sebastian
- A painting that sold at auction for $40,000 in 2008 is expected to fetch at least $5 million when it goes under the hammer next month—and you can't entirely blame inflation. Last time around,
St. Sebastian Tended by Two Angels
was attributed to the French Baroque painter...
Judge Weighs In on Legal
Fight Over Banana Art
Jun 14, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Judge Weighs In on Legal Fight Over Banana Art
Joe Morford fails to show Maurizio Cattelan's 'Comedian' copied his earlier creation
- The Italian artist who stuck a banana to a wall with duct tape wasn't copying the work of a contemporary who taped a banana and an orange to two panels and called it art years earlier. A US district judge for the Southern District of Florida ruled against California-based...
These Rembrandts Have Been
Concealed for 200 Years
May 16, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
These Rembrandts Have Been Concealed for 200 Years
Artist's last known portraits held in private collection to be sold at auction in July
- For the first time in 200 years, the public is getting a look at two "extraordinary" portraits painted by the Dutch master Rembrandt van Rijn. British auctioneer Henry Pettifer rediscovered the small 1635 portraits—depicting a wealthy couple from the artist's hometown of Leiden, whose son had married...
Historian Claims to Have
May 4, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
Historian Claims to Have Solved a
Bridge above subject's shoulder still stands in Tuscany, says Silvano Vinceti
- Few eyes gazing upon Leonardo da Vinci's
likely notice the tiny bridge painted just above the subject's left shoulder, on the right side of the painting. But that piece of architecture stood out to Italian historian Silvano Vinceti, who believes he's identified it as a...
Student Eats Banana
Taped to Wall as Art
May 1, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
Student Eats Banana Taped to Wall as Art
The act was also a form of art, the South Korean man says
- An art student in South Korea visited a museum in Seoul, took down a banana that had been taped to the wall as a work of art, and ate it. When authorities at the Leeum Museum of Art asked why, the student reportedly told them he was hungry, reports
Fake Basquiats Took as
Little as 5 Minutes to Create
Apr 12, 2023 12:28 PM CDT
Fake Basquiats Took as Little as 5 Minutes to Create
California man admits involvement in art fraud scheme that embarrassed Orlando art museum
- Most of the 25 paintings displayed in the Orlando Museum of Art's Jean-Michel Basquiat exhibit were actually created by a 45-year-old auctioneer from California, whose name appeared on a shipping label on the back of one of the cardboard canvases, authorities say. Prosecutors announced they'd reached a plea...
True Masterpiece Hung in
Family's TV Room as a Joke
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 8, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
True Masterpiece Hung in Family's TV Room as a Joke
400-year-old work by Pieter Bruegel the Younger surfaces, sells for $845K
- An auctioneer was assessing the value of art and artifacts at a home in northern France last fall when a canvas caked in dust caught his eye. Partially concealed by a door in a darkened TV room, the painting looked to be a masterpiece but was in fact a fake,...
for Wall Space With
Mar 29, 2023 7:52 AM CDT
Banksy Competes for Wall Space With 'Ukrainian Banksy'
As actual artist makes his mark in war-torn nation, local Gamlet Zinkivskyi also inspires
- Banksy has made his mark in Ukraine during the yearlong Russian invasion, but the UK artist has some current competition in the war-torn nation. Gamlet Zinkivskyi , a 36-year-old known as the "Ukrainian Banksy" for his black-and-white contemporary artwork, has put his burgeoning international career on hold to instead paint...
Raid Turns Up
What Could Be
a Precious Painting
Mar 23, 2023 7:24 AM CDT
Raid Turns Up What Could Be a Precious Painting
If the unknown Jackson Pollock work is authentic, it could be worth $54M
- A previously unknown painting by Jackson Pollock, worth upwards of $54 million, has been found during a raid on alleged international art smugglers. The painting turned up in the Bulgarian capital of Sofia during an operation targeting an organized criminal group known to operate across Greece, per Art News . Five...
by 'Art World
Family' Is Just
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 4, 2023 6:00 AM CST
Job Posting by 'Art World Family' Is Just Eye-Popping
Art blogger calls it 'the most nightmarish job listing I've ever seen'
- What may be the "worst art job listing ever created" has since been deleted, but freelance art writer Emily Colucci has saved it for all of us to marvel at. Writing about her recent find on her Filthy Minds blog , Colucci notes she stumbled upon the posting for an...
Art Pulled From
Feb 22, 2023 7:59 AM CST
College Wanted Art Pulled From Diversity Exhibit, Group Refused
Now entire display is yanked from State College of Florida over complaints about 3 pieces of art
- For two decades, the Florida nonprofit Embracing Our Differences has hosted an annual outdoor art show in Sarasota, attracting hundreds of thousands of visitors each year. This time around, however, the group is yanking its entire display from one of the venues, the State College of Florida, after school officials...
Art Fair Visitor Breaks
$42K Jeff Koons Sculpture
Feb 19, 2023 7:35 AM CST
Art Fair Visitor Breaks $42K Jeff Koons Sculpture
Woman tapped on the glass balloon dog, and it fell off pedestal
- A visitor to an art show in Miami has learned an important lesson about Jeff Koons' famous balloon-dog pieces: They're not
balloons. In fact, they're made of glass and thus fragile. As the
reports, a woman tapped on a shiny blue dog atop a pedestal...
Covered in Bird Poop
in Shed Sells for $3.1M
Jan 31, 2023 9:20 AM CST
Painting Found Covered in Bird Poop in Shed Sells for $3.1M
Anthony Van Dyck's 'A Study for Saint Jerome' was purchased for $600 in 2002
- Two decades ago, the painting sat abandoned in a farm shed, covered in bird droppings. It sold Thursday at auction for $3.1 million. The large oil painting , discovered by art collector Albert B. Roberts in the shed in Kinderhook, New York, around 2002, was later confirmed as a work...
Artist Who Had to Prove
He Didn't Paint Picture
Jan 19, 2023 9:25 AM CST
Artist Who Had to Prove He Didn't Paint Picture Awarded $2.5M
Gallery claimed Peter Doig painted picture signed by former inmate Peter Doige
- Artist Peter Doig has been awarded a $2.5 million judgment by a federal judge in connection with a bizarre case that required him to prove a painting wasn't his work. In 2016, Doig was sued by a Chicago gallery after he disavowed a painting signed "P. Doige...
A New Reason Why Munch's
Famous Painting Is Screaming
Nov 12, 2022 9:00 AM CST
A New Reason Why Munch's Famous Painting Is Screaming
Climate activists tried to glue themselves to 'The Scream' at National Museum in Oslo, Norway
- Norwegian police said two climate activists tried in vain Friday to glue themselves to Edvard Munch's 1893 masterpiece
at an Oslo museum, and that no harm was reported to the famous painting. Police said they were alerted to the incident by Norway's National Museum and had...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Henry Kissinger Dies at 100
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.