Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Frida Kahlo's Legend Grows
With Record Auction Sale
Nov 17, 2021 9:35 AM CST
Frida Kahlo's Legend Grows With Record Auction Sale
'Diego and I' self-portrait sets $34.9M record for Latin American artist
- A self-portrait of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, also featuring her husband, has become the most valuable work by a Latin American artist ever to sell at auction. Kahlo's "Diego and I"—a close-up of the artist's face with a miniature portrait of her husband, Mexican muralist...
University of Hong Kong
Wants 'Pillar of Shame' to Go
Nov 12, 2021 7:20 AM CST
University of Hong Kong Wants 'Pillar of Shame' to Go
Creator requests immunity from national security law to remove pro-democracy symbol
- The Danish sculptor behind one of the last pro-democracy symbols in Hong Kong is asking authorities for legal protection so he can remove it at the request of the University of Hong Kong. The Pillar of Shame, a 26-foot-tall copper sculpture depicting torn and twisted bodies—created in honor of...
Group 'Destroys' $20K Warhol
Sketch by Hiding It Amid Fakes
Oct 26, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Group 'Destroys' $20K Warhol Sketch by Hiding It Amid Fakes
MSCHF stunt meant to 'destroy any future confidence in the veracity of the work'
- The art collective that brought you Lil Nas X's Satan Shoes says it's latest stunt involved "destroying" a one-of-a kind Andy Warhol sketch. Brooklyn-based MSCHF (pronounced "mischief") acquired Warhol's "Fairies," a 1954 minimalist ink sketch of three nude fairies playing with a...
Wiped From Facebook, Vienna's
Nude Art Moves to OnlyFans
Oct 21, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Wiped From Facebook, Vienna's Nude Art Moves to OnlyFans
City's tourism board speaks out on social media censorship
- Have you checked out the Vienna tourism board's hot new account on adults-only OnlyFans? It's full of nudity, though of the century-old artistic kind. As the
reports, Vienna museums have come up against bans and other forms of censure after sharing nude artworks on more traditional social...
Shredded Banksy Sells
Way Higher Than Expected
Oct 14, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Shredded Banksy Sells Way Higher Than Expected
Fetches $25.4M at Sotheby's, compared to $1.4M for un-shredded price
How much for a shredded Banksy? Try $25.4 million. A piece that was deliberately shredded in a prank sold to an anonymous Asian buyer for that amount at Sotheby's in London on Thursday, reports the
Wall Street Journal .
That is way higher than expected.
Our original story
Afghans Hide Books, Paintings
as Crackdown on Culture Looms
Sep 30, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Afghans Hide Books, Paintings as Crackdown on Culture Looms
Taliban says Islamic law will determine what kinds of art are allowed
- The bad old days are back in Afghanistan, where artists have hidden or destroyed paintings, musicians have stopped working, and residents are hiding books ahead of an expected Taliban crackdown on art and culture deemed un-Islamic. The group—which banned movies, television, and music during its rule from 1996 to...
Artist Takes Museum's $84K,
Produces 2 Blank Canvases
Sep 29, 2021 2:30 AM CDT
Artist Takes Museum's $84K, Produces 2 Blank Canvases
'Take the Money and Run' is about artists' working conditions, Jens Haaning says
- When Denmark's Kunsten Museum of Modern Art gave Jens Haaning $84,000, it expected the artist to recreate two of his previous works. Instead, the museum says, Haaning gave it two blank canvases. "The curator received an email in which Jens Haaning wrote that he had made a...
Given Cash to Broaden Their
Cultural Horizons, French Don't
Jul 28, 2021 4:58 PM CDT
Given Cash to Broaden Their Cultural Horizons, French Don't
18-year-olds stick to manga, which $350 from government helps buy
- Juliette Sega is operating within the rules for spending the $350 the French government is giving every 18-year-old when she buys comic books, if not the aspirations. "It's a really good initiative," said Juliette Sega, who lives in southeastern France. "I'm a steady consumer of...
Suspected Picasso Thief
Isn't Who Police Expected
Jun 30, 2021 11:20 AM CDT
Suspected Picasso Thief Isn't Who Police Expected
He's reportedly not a member of a sophisticated gang but just someone who loves art
- On Tuesday Greece heralded the discovery of a precious Picasso painting that had been stolen from the National Gallery in Athens in 2012. The
reports that the man suspected of taking "Head of a Woman," along with a work by Piet Mondrian, isn't who police expected....
Museum Dumps a Most
Jun 18, 2021 2:44 PM CDT
Museum Dumps a Most Controversial Exhibit
Shanghai's OCAT gallery apologizes for Song Ta's display that ranked women from 'prettiest to ugliest'
- One of China's most respected modern museums is taking heat for a multimedia exhibit that used university students as its unwitting subjects. The
South China Morning Post
and BBC note the artwork by male artist Song Ta at Shanghai's OCT Contemporary Art Terminal, or OCAT, was displayed under...
Artist Sells 'Invisible'
Sculpture for $18K
Jun 7, 2021 6:14 AM CDT
Artist Sells 'Invisible' Sculpture for $18K
Someone just bought Salvatore Garau's 'immaterial' artwork, sight unseen
- As innovators try to take advantage of the NFT craze and come up with the latest digital asset to sell, Salvatore Garau's newest creation is a more old-fashioned piece of art that exists in the real world—kind of. The 67-year-old Italian artist has sold
Novel Technique Restores
May 31, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Novel Technique Restores Michelangelo's Gleam
Team in Italy unleashes microbes to eat away grime on marble
- Sometimes, art restorations do not go well . Not well at all . But in Florence, Italy, a team of historians, art restorers, and, crucially, scientists appears to have pulled off the feat in impressive fashion, writes Jason Horowitz in the
New York Times
. The restoration involved marble statues carved by none...
His Music Is Legendary.
But His Art Is 'Rarely Seen'
May 11, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
His Music Is Legendary. But His Art Is 'Rarely Seen'
Largest ever collection of Bob Dylan's artwork to be shown in US
- More than 120 "rarely seen" paintings, drawings, and sculptures by Bob Dylan are to be exhibited in the US for the first time. The artworks, completed over six decades, will be displayed at the Frost Art Museum at Florida International University beginning on Nov. 30, to coincide with Miami...
For $10 Million, You Get
the Artist for 10 Years
Apr 13, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
For $10 Million, You Get the Artist for 10 Years
An LA artist will live in a shed for as long as a decade if the price is right
- An artist in Los Angeles has been locked in a shed all year. If he gets enough money, he’ll stay there for 10 years. Tim C. Inzana started out 2021 by locking himself in a shed on his family’s property. He’s livestreaming himself round the clock on...
Police Searching for Man
Who Popped Bubble Wrap
Mar 27, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Police Searching for Man Who Popped Bubble Wrap
It was part of an art installation
- Popping bubble wrap is a source of satisfaction for many people. For a man in Canada, however, it may be the source of legal troubles. Police in Vancouver are asking for tips from the public as they work to track down the unidentified man shown in a video damaging a...
Angelina Jolie's Churchill
Painting Sets Auction Record
Mar 2, 2021 8:13 AM CST
Angelina Jolie's Churchill Painting Sets Auction Record
Former British prime minister's 'most important work' sells for almost $10M
- A painting by former British prime minister Sir Winston Churchill has just sold for an auction record, making Angelina Jolie millions of dollars richer. The actress had offered up
The Tower Of The Koutoubia Mosque
, which Churchill painted in Marrakech, Morroco, during World War II. An anonymous buyer nabbed it...
It Took a Group 2 Days to
Create This Giant Snow Art
Feb 10, 2021 2:21 PM CST
It Took a Group 2 Days to Create This Giant Snow Art
Finns in snowshoes made it happen
- An ephemeral artwork made with thousands of footsteps in the snow has captured attention near Finland's capital of Helsinki. Under the guidance of local resident and amateur artist Janne Pyykko, 11 snowshoe-clad volunteers stamped a series of complex geometric patterns on a golf course. Together, the designs create a...
This Manet Painting Has
Never Been Seen in Public
Jan 22, 2021 7:40 AM CST
This Manet Painting Has Never Been Seen in Public
Portrait of a pet dog expected to fetch up to $430K at auction
- A dog painting by the great French modernist artist Édouard Manet, not seen in public in the nearly 150 years since its creation, is headed for auction. "It is not one of his chefs-d'œuvre [masterpieces] but it a marvelous interpretation of Manet's skill; a wonderful...
Really Wanted to
Dec 16, 2020 7:30 AM CST
This Person Really Wanted to See the
Bidder paid $98K to get closer glimpse of da Vinci's famous piece during annual inspection
- How much would it be worth to get to see that
smile up close and personal, without any fellow gawkers blocking your view? According to one person, $98,000 . That's how much a bidder paid for the chance to watch as da Vinci's famous painting is...
Dec 13, 2020 10:55 AM CST
Groups Work to Preserve Protest Art
Activists want murals painted after George Floyd's death 'to live on'
- Neither woman could bring themselves to watch the video of George Floyd's final moments, his neck pinned under a Minneapolis police officer’s knee. But as their city grieved, Leesa Kelly and Kenda Zellner-Smith found comfort in messages of anguish and hope that appeared on boarded-up windows as residents...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
'Extreme Heat Belt' Emerging in US
Rep Confirms Heche's Death as Exes Grieve
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.