Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Lori Loughlin Sentenced
to Prison in College Scam
Aug 21, 2020 1:52 PM CDT
Lori Loughlin Sentenced to Prison in College Scam
She will serve 2 months, and husband Mossimo Giannulli will serve 5 months
- Aunt Becky is going to prison, though only for 2 months. Actress Lori Loughlin of
fame received the sentence Friday over her role in the college admissions scam , reports the AP . Prior to her sentencing, husband Mossimo Giannulli, a clothing designer, received a sentence of 5 months, per...
Lori Loughlin to Plead Guilty,
Serve Time Behind Bars
May 21, 2020 9:01 AM CDT
Lori Loughlin to Plead Guilty, Serve Time Behind Bars
'Full House' star's husband, Mossimo Giannulli, will also plead guilty
- For more than a year, it looked like Lori Loughlin would fight the charges against her in the college admissions bribery scandal. Apparently, she's changed her mind: Per the
Los Angeles Times
and ABC News , the 55-year-old
actress and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, will plead guilty to...
University of California
President: Let's Stop
Using the SAT, ACT
May 12, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
University of California President: Let's Stop Using the SAT, ACT
Janet Napolitano, president of the UC system, recommends use of a homegrown test
- The president of the University of California wants to end the use of the SAT and ACT as admission requirements and replace them with a homegrown test, according to a plan released Monday. Janet Napolitano’s five-year plan was submitted in advance of a May 21 Board of Regents meeting...
Judge in Loughlin
Apr 18, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Judge in Loughlin Case: 'Disturbing' Defense Allegations
Federal judge wants more info from prosecutors on claims FBI investigators asked Rick Singer to lie
- Lori Loughlin and other parents involved in the college admissions bribery scandal have been trying to get charges against them dropped , claiming misconduct by FBI investigators, and a federal judge now wants more information from prosecutors, calling the allegations "serious and disturbing." Defense attorneys say that Loughlin and...
Students Could Take
SAT Exams at Home
Apr 16, 2020 2:43 AM CDT
Students Could Take SAT Exams at Home
June testing has been called off
- A home version of the SAT college entrance exam is being prepared in case schools remain closed into the fall, College Board officials said Wednesday as they announced the cancellation of June testing. Instead of a paper-and-pencil test given under proctors' supervision, the home version would be digital and rely...
The SAT Is Canceled
Mar 16, 2020 5:30 PM CDT
The SAT Is Canceled
Testing organizations cancel, delay college admissions tests
- Spring dates for college admissions tests are being rescheduled or postponed amid concerns about the coronavirus, while high school seniors may be allowed to take Advanced Placement exams to earn college credit from home, the AP reports. Details:
The groups that give both the ACT and SAT tests announced Monday
'Loud and Abrasive Call' Might
Ruin College Scandal Case
Feb 26, 2020 7:19 PM CST
'Loud and Abrasive Call' Might Ruin College Scandal Case
Court filing releases notes from Rick Singer's iPhone
- Lori Loughlin, wondering what to read tonight? Try TMZ . The tabloid news site reports that Rick Singer, ringleader in the college admissions scandal, says the FBI angrily told him to lie about a key aspect of the case. One accused parent, Elisabeth Kimmel, made a legal filing Wednesday that claims...
Jan 16, 2020 10:40 AM CST
She Investigated Admissions Fraud While Allegedly Taking Part
Prosecutors share emails between Mossimo Giannulli and scheme mastermind
- An athletic department administrator asked to investigate puzzling recruitment decisions at the University of Southern California a year before the admissions scandal broke was herself taking part in the fraud, according to new court documents. In March 2018, a USC official asked Donna Heinel to look into three students—Lori...
Loughlin Claims Prosecutors
Are Concealing Evidence
Dec 16, 2019 3:48 AM CST
Loughlin Claims Prosecutors Are Concealing Evidence
Lawyers say couple did not know payments would be used to bribe college officials
- While some celebrity parents have pleaded guilty in the college admissions bribery scandal, Lori Loughlin and husband Mossimo Gianulli are fighting the charges —and they say prosecutors are concealing evidence that could help clear them. In a court filing Friday, the couple accused federal prosecutors of refusing to turn...
CEO, Wife Get Jail Time in
College Admissions Scandal
Oct 9, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
CEO, Wife Get Jail Time in College Admissions Scandal
Gregory and Marcia Abbott to each spend month in prison after paying $125K to fix daughter's tests
- As Felicity Huffman prepares for her 14-day stay behind bars at the end of the month, more sentences are rolling in for the college admissions bribery scandal—and this time, it's both members of a couple who will see jail time. Gregory Abbott, the CEO of International Dispensing Corp....
Before Prison Stint Starts,
Some Good News for Huffman
Sep 27, 2019 1:16 PM CDT
Before Prison Stint Starts, Some Good News for Huffman
Star's daughter Sophia won't be barred from taking new SAT after admissions bribery scandal
- William H. Macy may be worried about wife Felicity Huffman, but at least there's one problem that's just been taken off the family's plate. TMZ reports that it looks like their daughter Sophia will be able to take a new SAT, which she'll need to get...
2nd Parent Gets Prison Time
in College Admissions Scandal
Sep 25, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
2nd Parent Gets Prison Time in College Admissions Scandal
CEO Devin Sloane paid $250K bribe
- A Los Angeles businessman who paid a $250,000 bribe to have his son admitted to the University of Southern California as a water polo recruit is going to prison. Devin Sloane—whose son didn't even know how to play water polo, according to prosecutors—is the second parent...
Begs Judge for
No Jail Time
Sep 7, 2019 8:40 AM CDT
Felicity Huffman Begs Judge for No Jail Time
Prosecutors recommend a month in jail, $20K fine for actress in college admissions bribery scandal
- Felicity Huffman pleaded guilty in May to a charge of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud in the college admissions bribery scandal, and now the government has handed down its recommendation for her fate. CBS News reports that federal prosecutors on Friday called for a month...
Jul 31, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Another College Admissions Scandal Is Exposed
Wealthy parents using loophole to nab financial aid for kids
- There looks to be another college admissions scandal brewing. The Education Department and several universities are looking into reports of wealthy parents transferring legal guardianship of their children to friends or relatives so that only the children's earnings are considered on financial aid applications, reports the
Wall Street Journal
William H. Macy Wasn't With
Felicity Huffman for Guilty Plea
May 13, 2019 2:57 PM CDT
William H. Macy Wasn't With Felicity Huffman for Guilty Plea
Actress will be sentenced Sept. 13
star Felicity Huffman pleaded guilty Monday in the college admissions bribery scheme, the biggest name to do so in a scandal that has exposed the lengths to which some wealthy parents will go to get their children into top universities. The Emmy-winning actress, 56, could face prison time...
$6.5M College Bribery Mystery
May Have Been Solved
May 2, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
$6.5M College Bribery Mystery May Have Been Solved
Sources say Chinese parents paid to get daughter into Stanford
- It was the big unanswered question in the college admissions bribery scandal—who paid $6.5 million , far more than any other parents, to get their kid into college? Sources tell the
Los Angeles Times
that the parents in question are those of Yusi Zhao, a Chinese student who was...
to Go to Prison
Apr 17, 2019 2:00 AM CDT
Prosecutors Want Felicity Huffman to Go to Prison
She faces 4- to 10-month sentence in college admissions bribery scandal
- Prosecutors want to see Felicity Huffman admitted to prison for her role in the college admissions bribery scandal. They say the actress should serve between four and 10 months in federal prison for paying a consultant $15,000 to have her daughter's SAT answers altered, according to court documents...
Olivia Jade Is 'Very
Angry' With Her Parents
Apr 6, 2019 4:40 PM CDT
Olivia Jade Is 'Very Angry' With Her Parents
Or so a source tells People magazine
- Lori Loughlin's daughter wasn't exactly a babe in the woods when it came to the college admissions scandal, a source tells
"She would have never gone along with it if she thought this would happen," the source says of Olivia Jade, whose USC admission allegedly...
House Sale 'Makes No Sense'
—Until Admissions Scandal
Apr 5, 2019 8:10 AM CDT
House Sale 'Makes No Sense' —Until Admissions Scandal
Harvard investigating sale of coach's home to father of 2 students
- The modest home on a quarter-acre lot in Needham, Mass., had been assessed at $549,300. When it sold for $989,500 in May 2016, Needham's top assessor was surprised to find it "in bad shape." Of the sale, he simply noted: "Makes no sense."...
Dr. Dre Deletes 'Strange Brag'
About His Kid Getting Into USC
Mar 25, 2019 3:31 AM CDT
Dr. Dre Deletes 'Strange Brag' About His Kid Getting Into USC
She got in 'on her own,' says dad who donated $70M
- Dr. Dre is a proud man—his daughter, Truly Young, got into the University of Southern California, and unlike some other celebrity parents , he didn't have to pay somebody to bribe coaches or facilitate cheating on exams. But the hip-hop legend may have gone too far with what Mashable...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.