Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Boasted About Killing
a Wolf. It Was a Husky
Sep 27, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
She Boasted About Killing a Wolf. It Was a Husky
Montana woman shared photos of herself posing with dead, skinned dog
- A Montana woman who boasted on Facebook about killing a wolf pup was told by outraged readers that she had actually killed a dog. "So this morning I set out for a solo predator hunt for a fall black bear. However, I got the opportunity to take another predator...
Report Makes Disturbing
Find on Grizzly Attack
Jul 19, 2022 9:34 AM CDT
Report Makes Disturbing Find on Grizzly Attack
Leah Lokan died instantly of broken neck, severed spine in rare predatory attack
- A woman fatally mauled in Montana last summer was the victim of a rare predatory attack by a grizzly bear that had learned to seek out human food, according to a new report. Leah Davis Lokan of Chico, Calif., was participating in a long-distance bike trip when she stopped to...
Mass of Dust, Then
a 21-Vehicle Crash
Jul 16, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
High Winds, Mass of Dust, Then a 21-Vehicle Crash
6 are dead after dust storm Friday on Montana interstate
- Six people have died after a dust storm fueled by wind gusts topping 60mph caused a pileup Friday evening on Interstate 90 in Montana, authorities said. Twenty-one vehicles crashed, and Montana Highway Patrol Sgt. Jay Nelson said authorities believe the weather was the cause. "It appears as though there...
Panel Rejects Logo
as Too Close to Pride Flag
Jul 13, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Panel Rejects Logo as Too Close to Pride Flag
Montana commission chair is among those who don't see much resemblance
- The commission that oversees the Montana State Library has rejected a proposed new logo after a member said the main feature—a prism—brought to mind the rainbow LGBTQ pride flag, something she suggested would set off a political firestorm. Two commissioners and the state librarian are meeting again this...
Love Beer? This Is
the State for You
Jul 9, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Love Beer? This Is the State for You
Vermont is a 'true beer lover's paradise,' according to VinePair
- Previous evaluations from Beer Connoisseur and Groupon named California the best state in the country when it comes to beer. Not even close, according to VinePair , which finds America's "true beer lover's paradise" is just about as far from California as you can get while remaining in...
As Floods Devastate
Governor Is AWOL
Jun 17, 2022 6:52 AM CDT
As Floods Devastate Yellowstone, Montana Governor Is AWOL
Greg Gianforte was on a 'long-scheduled personal trip'
- Yellowstone and other areas in Montana have been devastated by recent floods , while the governor of the state has been conspicuously absent. Amid a slew of criticism, Gov. Greg Gianforte's office said he was returning home Thursday night from a "long-scheduled personal trip" out of the country, which...
Officials: Missing Hiker
Was Mauled by Grizzly
Mar 26, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Officials: Missing Hiker Was Mauled by Grizzly
Montana's Craig Clouatre was found Friday after 'extensive search' in Paradise Valley
- A dad of four from Livingston, Mont., never met back up with a friend after they got separated during a hike in Paradise Valley Wednesday, and now, a sad development. Local authorities say it appears 40-year-old Craig Clouatre was fatally mauled by a grizzly bear in the Six Mile Creek...
in case you missed it
Mar 6, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Mont. Governor Killed Collared Mountain Lion Outside Yellowstone
Animal hunted by Gianforte, who has a license to do so, had been chased up tree by hounds first
- On Tuesday, Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte announced the 150th anniversary of Yellowstone National Park, praising its beauty and wonder. It's also the same day the governor showed up in a different headline, this one involving his killing of a mountain lion that wandered outside the protected areas of that...
This Is the Best
State for Retirees
Jan 24, 2022 1:41 PM CST
This Is the Best State for Retirees
Surprise! Florida comes in at No. 1 in WalletHub rankings
- Figuring out what to do once you retire can be a challenge, including where you put down roots to ride out your golden years. WalletHub looked at nearly four dozen metrics across all 50 states, in three main categories: affordability, which looks at everything from the cost of living and...
Ex End Fight
Jan 23, 2022 10:50 AM CST
Kelly Clarkson, Ex End Fight Over $17.8M Montana Ranch
Brandon Blackstock had argued prenup didn't cover the property
- Months after their divorce became final, Kelly Clarkson and Brandon Blackstock have ended their wrangling over their $17.8 million Montana ranch. According to court documents filed Thursday in Los Angeles, Blackstock will receive a 5.12% stake in the property,
reports, valued at $908,800. Adjoining property remains...
This State Has Made
the Most Racial Progress
Jan 17, 2022 8:07 AM CST
This State Has Made the Most Racial Progress
Arizona takes the top spot in WalletHub ranking
- Monday is the day we honor the late civil-rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., in a country still contending with racial discrimination and a deep divide regarding our nation's history on racism. WalletHub examines all 50 states and the District of Columbia to see which states are the most...
of Yellowstone Wolves Killed
Jan 7, 2022 2:00 AM CST
'Extraordinary Number' of Yellowstone Wolves Killed
20 roamed from the park in recent months and were shot
- Twenty of Yellowstone National Park's renowned gray wolves roamed from the park and were shot by hunters in recent months—the most killed by hunting in a single season since the predators were reintroduced to the region more than 25 years ago, according to park officials. Fifteen wolves were...
She Lost a Very Special Bear
in Park. Now, a Reunion
Nov 12, 2021 12:59 PM CST
She Lost a Very Special Bear in Park. Now, a Reunion
The teddy, which vanished in Glacier National Park, had been Naomi Pascal's since Ethiopian adoption
- A little girl who lost a special teddy bear she'd had since being adopted from an Ethiopian orphanage thought it was gone forever when she forgot it along a trail in Glacier National Park last year. Her parents and family friends still held onto a glimmer of hope—and...
Here Are the Best States
for an Off-Grid Life
Oct 27, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best States for an Off-Grid Life
Not New Jersey, per LawnStarter
- Want to get away from it all—like, for good? If the thought of holing up in a cabin in the woods and disconnecting from the world sounds appealing, LawnStarter has been scouting all 50 states to find where off-the-grid living might work best, looking at nearly two dozen metrics...
10 Safest, Least Safe
States in US
Oct 26, 2021 11:27 AM CDT
10 Safest, Least Safe States in US
Vermont is No. 1 and Louisiana is last
- WalletHub usually considers a wide range of factors in determining the safest states in America, including the number of assaults, mass shootings, and terrorist attacks. This year, with the coronavirus pandemic still in play, it's also considering the percentage of residents who are fully vaccinated. That's one...
At Least 3 Dead, 50 Injured
in Amtrak Derailment
Sep 25, 2021 10:20 PM CDT
At Least 3 Dead, 50 Injured in Amtrak Derailment
Accident happened in Montana
- At least three people were killed Saturday afternoon when an Amtrak train that runs between Seattle and Chicago derailed in north-central Montana, an official with the Liberty County Sheriff's Office said. Dispatcher Starr Tyler told the AP that three people died in the derailment. Amtrak said in a statement...
Woman Who Went Missing
While Hiking Found Dead
Sep 7, 2021 1:55 AM CDT
Woman Who Went Missing While Hiking Found Dead
Jennifer Coleman may have been hiking alone at the time
- A Virginia woman who was reported missing Wednesday after she took a trip to Montana's Glacier National Park was found dead in a steep, rocky area of the park Sunday. Jennifer Coleman, 34, was believed to have been hiking alone in the Logan Pass area, the highest elevation in...
23-Year-Old Hiker's Body
Found Under Rocks
Aug 24, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
23-Year-Old Hiker's Body Found Under Rocks
Tatum Morell was apparently caught in rock slide near Montana's Whitetail Peak
- A 23-year-old hiker missing in Montana's Beartooth Mountains since early July is believed to have died in a sudden rock slide. The body of Tatum Morell, a Montana State University graduate student in engineering, was discovered Saturday in a gully below Whitetail Peak, one of five area peaks over...
Man Accused of Sexually
Assaulting Girl, 15, on Plane
Jul 13, 2021 6:06 PM CDT
Man Accused of Sexually Assaulting Girl, 15, on Plane
Vincent Kopacek, 76, was arrested when he tried to check in for return flight
- A 76-year-old man who allegedly sexually assaulted a 15-year-old girl on a flight from Texas to Montana was arrested when he tried to check in for his return flight. Vincent Harry Kopacek allegedly repeatedly groped the girl from the seat behind her window seat before and during the July 8...
After Fatal Mauling, Officials
Find and Shoot Grizzly
Jul 9, 2021 12:04 PM CDT
After Fatal Mauling, Officials Find and Shoot Grizzly
They await DNA tests, but Montana officials say it's likely same bear that killed Leah Davis Lokan
- Wildlife officials in Montana say the bear that attacked and killed a camper from California earlier this week is likely no more. A male grizzly, which authorities believe dragged 65-year-old nurse Leah Davis Lokan from her tent early Tuesday while she was sleeping, was shot by federal wildlife employees just...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Troops Seal Off Town, Looking for Gang Members
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.