Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Selfie-Taking Tourists End Up
Soaked in Venice Canal
Dec 6, 2023 1:50 PM CST
Selfie-Taking Tourists End Up Soaked in Venice Canal
They reportedly didn't sit down when asked
- It's another entry in the tourists behaving badly file, this time out of Venice. The
reports a group ended up toppling into "a murky, cold canal" after they apparently refused their gondolier's requests that they sit down in the gondola and stop taking selfies. While directing...
How Not to Call Attention
to Yourself as a Tourist
Oct 31, 2023 12:40 PM CDT
How Not to Call Attention to Yourself as a Tourist
Viral video shows car full of Americans driving in pedestrian-only Munich square
- An American dad channeled his inner Clark Griswold as he was driving the family around Munich while on vacation. A gone-viral TikTok video shows the family's car in the German city's iconic Marienplatz square, which is pedestrian-only, reports
. "Look at everybody staring," says a...
Outside This Ugandan
Park, a Rare 'Heinous Act'
Oct 18, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
Outside This Ugandan Park, a Rare 'Heinous Act'
Uganda officials say 2 tourists, guide were killed in attack near Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Two foreign tourists and their Ugandan guide were killed when assailants attacked their vehicle near a national park in southwestern Uganda, a wildlife official said Tuesday. Bashir Hangi, spokesman for the Uganda Wildlife Authority, said the attackers set on fire the vehicle in which the group was traveling just outside...
for Leaf Peeping?
Forget About Here
Sep 25, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Heading North for Leaf Peeping? Forget About Here
Roads near Vermont's popular Sleepy Hollow Farm will be open only to locals due to congestion
- Leaf peepers traveling to the Northeast for the annual fall foliage display will have to forget about one destination on this year's list: The Vermont town of Pomfret has opted to shut down roads to tourists surrounding Sleepy Hollow Farm, one of its most popular tourist destinations in autumn....
After 50 Years, a Roman
'Power Palace' Reopens
Sep 22, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
After 50 Years, a Roman 'Power Palace' Reopens
2K-year-old Domus Tiberiana, overlooking the Forum, has been undergoing restoration in Italy
- An ancient Roman imperial palazzo atop the city's Palatine Hill was reopened to tourists on Thursday, almost 50 years after its closure for restoration. The nearly 2,000-year-old Domus Tiberiana, a sprawling palace that was home to rulers in the ancient city's imperial period, allows for sweeping views...
This City Will Be the First
to Charge Day-Trippers
in case you missed it
Sep 10, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
This City Will Be the First to Charge Day-Trippers
Tourists in Venice, Italy, will be hit with proposed fee of $5.40 on certain days starting next spring
- Venice, Italy, will be the first city in the world to charge its day-trippers, CNN reports. Starting next spring, the island city's authorities plan to charge visitors who aren't staying overnight as part of a 30-day experiment meant "to discourage daily tourism in certain periods, in line...
Protest Mass Tourism
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 9, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Town Protest Mass Tourism
Hallstatt wants to cap visitor numbers
- Hallstatt is a gorgeous village located amid beautiful Alpine scenery in Upper Austria, and many of its residents would like you to stay away. The town, which sits next to a pristine lake, has fewer than 800 residents, who are far outnumbered by up to 10,000 visitors on busy...
This Nation Offers LGBTQ+
Warning on Travel to US
Aug 30, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
This Nation Offers LGBTQ+ Warning on Travel to US
'Check relevant state and local laws' before heading to US, Canada's advisory tells tourists
- The Canadian government updated its advisory for travel to the United States on Tuesday, and one section that stands out is directed toward LGBTQ+ tourists. "Some states have enacted laws and policies that may affect 2SLGBTQI+ persons," the short section in the advisory from the Global Affairs Canada...
Eiffel Tower Jump
Aug 17, 2023 3:40 PM CDT
Parachutist Arrested After Eiffel Tower Jump
Paris landmark has had intrusions, bomb threats in past week
- Security personnel were unable to prevent a man from parachuting off the Eiffel Tower early Thursday, but he was arrested after landing safely on the roof of a Paris sports center. Police reported that the jumper was spotted less than a minute after arriving; he then climbed a column and...
Places to Not Fall Asleep
While Drunk in Paris
Aug 15, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Places to Not Fall Asleep While Drunk in Paris
2 American tourists spent the night in the Eiffel Tower, delaying its opening by an hour
- When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in Paris, don't do as these two Americans did. As AFP reports, Eiffel Tower security guards making their rounds early Monday before the Parisian icon's 9am opening found a rather unusual and unwelcome surprise in the form of two...
Amsterdam Doesn't Want
More Cruise Tourists
Jul 21, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Amsterdam Doesn't Want More Cruise Tourists
Cruise ships are being banned from city center
- Amsterdam is trying to reduce the number of tourists that visit the city—especially cruise ship tourists, who have been likened to a "plague of locusts" by city council member Ilana Rooderkerk. The council has voted to ban cruise ships from docking in the city center and to close...
Has an Odd Excuse
Jul 6, 2023 9:13 AM CDT
Colosseum Vandal Has an Odd Excuse
Ivan Dimitrov, 31, of Bristol, England, claims he didn't realize how old the Rome landmark was
- A tourist from the UK who was tracked down after etching the names of himself and his girlfriend into Rome's famous Colosseum has been fully identified and is now offering his apologies. "I admit with deepest embarrassment that it was only after what regrettably happened that I learned...
US Couple Found Dead
at Mexican Resort
Jun 15, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
US Couple Found Dead at Mexican Resort
Americans' deaths remain under investigation in Baja California Sur
- An American couple vacationing at a luxury hotel in Mexico has been found dead in their hotel room, reports ABC News . John Heathco, 41, and Abby Lutz, 28, both from Newport Beach, California, were found in the Hotel Rancho Pescadero in Baja California Sur state. The investigation continues, but local...
3 Tourists Stabbed
in Puerto Rico
Feb 6, 2023 5:25 PM CST
3 Tourists Stabbed in Puerto Rico
Police say visitors from mainland US had been told to stop filming in San Juan neighborhood
- Three tourists from the US mainland were stabbed in Puerto Rico early Monday after someone told them to stop filming in a renowned seaside community known as La Perla that is popular with visitors, police said. The confrontation began when one of the tourists, who lives in South Carolina, began...
US Tourist Caught Eating
on Fountain Steps Is Fined
Sep 6, 2022 3:43 PM CDT
US Tourist Caught Eating on Fountain Steps Is Fined
He was found with beer, ice cream at 1am in Rome
- An American tourist was slapped with a $450 fine after police caught him sitting on the steps of a fountain early Saturday drinking a beer and eating an ice cream. The man had fallen afoul of one of the "urban decorum" rules the Italian capital introduced in 2017, the...
for Surfing Canal
Aug 18, 2022 6:35 PM CDT
'Imbeciles' Pay for Surfing Canal
Venice fines pair of foreigners, takes their boards after insulting them
- A pair of foreigners who raced on motorized surfboards along the Grand Canal in Venice on Wednesday have been fined, had their boards taken, and been publicly insulted for the offense. And the Italian tourist destination isn't through with them yet,
reports; the city attorney plans to...
Takes Selfie, Falls
Into Mount Vesuvius
in case you missed it
Jul 16, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
American Tourist Takes Selfie, Falls Into Mount Vesuvius
Guides abseiled down to rescue him
- Almost 2,000 years after Mount Vesuvius destroyed Pompeii and other Roman cities, an American tourist came close to becoming another volcano victim. Authorities say the 23-year-old man, who had been unable to book tickets online, took an unauthorized route to the edge of the volcano's crater and fell...
Arizona Town's Residents
Told to Stop Yelling at Tourists
Jul 15, 2022 9:24 AM CDT
Arizona Town's Residents Told to Stop Yelling at Tourists
Notes on cars are also a no-no, police in Jerome say
- Police in a old Arizona mining town that gets 1 million tourists annually are warning residents to stop yelling at visitors or they could face harassment charges. Jerome, population about 450, was once home to one of Arizona's largest copper mines and is now a hub for artists, the...
Sri Lanka Desperate for
Tourists, Russian Oil
Jul 7, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Sri Lanka Desperate for Tourists, Russian Oil
President says he has asked Putin help
- With Sri Lanka facing a severe economic crisis , the country's leaders have apparently decided they can't afford to shun Russia. President Gotabaya Rajapaksa said Wednesday that he had asked Vladimir Putin for help in a "very productive" phone call, reports Reuters . The country has almost exhausted its...
Cops: We Know What Killed
US Tourists in Bahamas
Jun 29, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Cops: We Know What Killed US Tourists in Bahamas
Carbon monoxide was to blame; case remains 'under active investigation'
It's confirmed: The three Americans in their 60s found dead in neighboring rooms at a Bahamas resort last month indeed "died as a result of asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning," according to the Royal Bahamas Police Force. It adds the case "remains under active...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Winners, Losers From the 4th GOP Debate
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.