Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jun 3, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Erdogan Decrees 'Turkish Century'
Beginning another term, leader promises new constitution
- Turkey's longtime leader, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, took the oath of office on Saturday, ushering in his third presidential term that followed three stints as prime minister. Erdogan, 69, won a new five-year term in a runoff presidential race last week that could stretch his 20-year rule in the key...
Lula Takes Office in Brazil,
Promising 'Democracy Forever'
Jan 1, 2023 3:10 PM CST
Lula Takes Office in Brazil, Promising 'Democracy Forever'
With Bolsonaro out, new president says he'll rebuild the nation
- Declaring that "democracy was the great winner" of Brazil's violent presidential election, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva took office on Sunday and promised to restore the nation from the "terrible ruins" left by his predecessor's rule. "Together with the Brazilian people, I assume the...
New York Postpones
Dec 21, 2021 5:52 PM CST
New York Postpones Inauguration Ceremony
Mayor-elect Eric Adams says he doesn't need a ceremony anyway
- Eric Adams will become mayor of New York City on Jan. 1, but he'll take office without the usual trappings of the day. The city's inauguration ceremony "will be postponed to a later date in order to prioritize the health of all who were planning to attend,...
Amanda Gorman Wants to Be
President. But First, a Side Gig
Jan 27, 2021 6:15 AM CST
Amanda Gorman Wants to Be President. But First, a Side Gig
Inauguration poet signs with IMG Models
- Inauguration poet Amanda Gorman has signed with one of the world's biggest modeling agencies, meaning she's "literally putting the model in role model," as the
Los Angeles Times
puts it. The first National Youth Poet Laureate completed a deal with IMG Models , the talent agency representing...
Biden Inauguration Beats
Trump's in the Ratings
Jan 22, 2021 12:07 AM CST
Biden Inauguration Beats Trump's in the Ratings
Preliminary Nielsen figures show an approximately 4% increase
- President Biden's inauguration Wednesday may have had a limited in-person audience thanks to the coronavirus pandemic, but when it came to those watching at home, its audience was larger than that for former President Trump's inauguration in 2017.
reports the early numbers from Nielsen show about 39....
Fans Make Her
Jan 21, 2021 5:50 PM CST
Amanda Gorman's Fans Make Her Books Bestsellers
'I am on the floor,' inaugural poet says
- Amanda Gorman has two books coming out, but not until September. After the poet's performance at President Biden's inauguration Wednesday, they went to the top of a bestseller list anyway. "I am on the floor," Gorman tweeted . "My books are #1 and #2 on Amazon...
What A Difference 2 Weeks
Makes for Hero Capitol Cop
Jan 20, 2021 4:14 PM CST
What A Difference 2 Weeks Makes for Hero Capitol Cop
Eugene Goodman escorted Vice President Kamala Harris to the inauguration
- Two weeks after he lured members of a pro-Trump mob away the Senate chamber when they stormed the US Capitol, Capitol Police Officer Eugene Goodman escorted incoming Vice President Kamala Harris to the inauguration ceremony on Wednesday, the Hill reports. Goodman, who is seen in video confronting rioters during the...
Joe Biden Becomes
the 46th President
Jan 20, 2021 10:52 AM CST
Joe Biden Becomes the 46th President
- Joe Biden swore the oath of office Wednesday to become the 46th president of the United States, during an inauguration ceremony with few parallels in history. He was administered the oath by Chief Justice John Roberts as three former presidents—Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama—looked on....
Trump's Farewell Speech:
'Have a Good Life'
Jan 20, 2021 8:11 AM CST
Trump's Farewell Speech: 'Have a Good Life'
He arrived at Joint Base Andrews shortly after 8:30am
- Joe Biden will become the 46th president at noon, and President Trump will have been long gone by the time that happens. Trump departed for Mar-a-Lago on Air Force One at 8:59am. He arrived at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland shortly after 8:30am to a 21-gun salute and...
Wear Pearls for
Jan 20, 2021 6:21 AM CST
Hundreds of Thousands Will Wear Pearls for Kamala Harris
The incoming vice president likes Converse shoes and pearl necklaces
- Kamala Harris is known for her love of Converse sneakers and pearls, and now hundreds of thousands of women are pledging to wear one or both on Wednesday in honor of Harris as she becomes the nation's first female vice president. The
New York Times
reports that the Facebook...
What to Expect in
Jan 20, 2021 2:40 AM CST
What to Expect in 'Most Important Inaugural Speech Since Lincoln'
Themes will be unity, recovery at noon, aides say
- Joe Biden becomes president on Wednesday, and Sen. Chris Coons, one of his close allies, says the speech he gives on the occasion will be "the most important inaugural speech since Lincoln." Biden has the daunting task of attempting to unite the country after a divisive election and...
12 National Guard Members
Removed From Inauguration
Jan 20, 2021 1:57 AM CST
12 National Guard Members Removed From Inauguration
It's not clear how many of them, if any, have potential links to extremist groups
- Amid concerns of a possible "insider attack" at President-elect Biden's inauguration, a dozen National Guard members have been removed from inaugural duties in Washington, DC, and sent home, Defense Department officials said Tuesday. All of them were found to either have links to right-wing militia groups or to...
The Nuclear Football
Is Getting Passed in
an Unprecedented Way
Jan 19, 2021 8:09 AM CST
The Nuclear Football Is Getting Passed in an Unprecedented Way
One will accompany Trump to Florida, while another will await Biden to be sworn in in DC
- There will be at least two briefcases containing the authorization codes necessary to launch a nuclear strike in the US floating around on Inauguration Day. One "nuclear football" is expected to accompany President Trump to Florida on Wednesday morning ahead of President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration ceremony in Washington,...
DC Jitters: Inauguration
Rehearsal Is Evacuated
Jan 18, 2021 10:15 AM CST
DC Jitters: Inauguration Rehearsal Is Evacuated
Smoke from a nearby homeless encampment caused a scare
- The US Capitol complex temporarily locked down Monday during a rehearsal for President-elect Biden's inauguration after a fire in a homeless encampment about a mile away sent a plume of smoke into the air and caused security concerns, per the AP . But law enforcement officials said there was no...
Arrested Man Says Gun
Was 'an Honest Mistake'
Jan 17, 2021 12:10 PM CST
Arrested Man Says Gun Was 'an Honest Mistake'
Security contractor was stopped at checkpoint near Capitol
- A Virginia man arrested at a checkpoint near the US Capitol said he was late getting to work and forgot a gun was in his pickup. "It was an honest mistake," Wesley Allen Beeler said, per the
. He was late for his job as a security...
a 'Vote of Conscience'
Jan 16, 2021 12:51 PM CST
McConnell: Impeachment a 'Vote of Conscience'
A trial date has not yet been set
- President Trump's impeachment trial is likely to start after Joe Biden's inauguration, and the Republican leader, Mitch McConnell, is telling senators their decision on whether to convict the outgoing president over the Capitol riot will be a “vote of conscience.” The timing for the trial, the...
Inauguration Poet to
'Touch' on Capitol Attack
Jan 15, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Inauguration Poet to 'Touch' on Capitol Attack
Amanda Gorman was chosen to read by the Bidens
- At age 22, poet Amanda Gorman, chosen to read at the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden, already has a history of writing for official occasions. "I have kind of stumbled upon this genre. It's been something I find a lot of emotional reward in, writing something I can...
Plans Firming Up
Jan 15, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Trump's Inauguration Day Plans Firming Up
2 reports say he will fly to Mar-a-Lago hours before Joe Biden is sworn in
- President Trump has said he won't attend Joe Biden's inauguration, though he hasn't revealed where he will be instead. Now multiple reports say Trump plans to fly to his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida before Biden is sworn in. Bloomberg says the president will fly out sometime in...
Proud Boys Leader:
'We're Going to
Take a Chill Pill'
Jan 15, 2021 1:00 AM CST
Proud Boys Leader: 'We're Going to Take a Chill Pill'
Henry 'Enrique' Tarrio says group will stay away from DC on Inauguration Day
- The leader of the Proud Boys has been banned from the nation's capital , and now he says the rest of the group is likely to stay away from Washington, DC, as well on Jan. 20. "We’re going to take a chill pill," Henry "Enrique" Tarrio,...
to DC Is Out
Jan 14, 2021 1:30 AM CST
Joe Biden's Amtrak Ride to DC Is Out
Plans change amid security concerns for inauguration
- President-elect Joe Biden will no longer be taking an Amtrak train to Washington for his inauguration because of security concerns, a person briefed on the decision told the AP on Wednesday. The president-elect’s decision reflects growing worries over potential threats in the Capitol and across the US in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.