Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
The Weinstein Company
Stories 1 - 20 |
Weinstein Victims at Odds
Over $18.8M Settlement
Jul 1, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
Weinstein Victims at Odds Over $18.8M Settlement
Lawyer for one group says agreement is 'a complete sellout'
- Nine women who accused the Weinstein Company of a hostile work environment, in which they were forced to facilitate Harvey Weinstein's sexual conquests , have reached a settlement of $18.8 million. A victims' compensation fund is to be distributed among "women who experienced a hostile work environment, sexual...
Report: Weinstein Reaches
$44M Deal With Accusers
May 24, 2019 4:45 AM CDT
Report: Weinstein Reaches $44M Deal With Accusers
Sources say insurance will cover settlement
- Harvey Weinstein's legal team has reached a tentative deal to settle the many lawsuits pending against the disgraced former movie mogul, insiders say. Sources tell the
Wall Street Journal
that the $44 million deal includes $30 million to pay plaintiffs—including former employees of the Weinstein Company and studio...
Dershowitz Is Now Helping
Harvey Weinstein's Defense
May 4, 2018 12:10 AM CDT
Dershowitz Is Now Helping Harvey Weinstein's Defense
Celebrity lawyer joins effort to obtain 'exculpatory' emails
- A former member of OJ Simpson's defense team is now assisting Harvey Weinstein. Alan Dershowitz—a Harvard Law School professor and frequent guest on cable news—is serving as a consultant to Weinstein's effort to obtain emails from The Weinstein Company that he sent and received before he...
Weinstein Co. Bankruptcy
Lifts Secrecy Agreements
Mar 20, 2018 1:03 AM CDT
Weinstein Co. Bankruptcy Lifts Secrecy Agreements
NY investigates handling of 2015 allegations
- The Weinstein Company has filed for bankruptcy—a move that could bring yet more sexual misconduct allegations against co-founder Harvey Weinstein to the surface. The movie and TV studio says that as part of the filing, all employees will be released from nondisclosure agreements. "Today, the Company also takes...
Mar 6, 2018 6:16 PM CST
Weinstein Co. Deal Collapses, Yet Again
Sources say group of investors discovered undisclosed debt
- A group of investors pulled out of a deal to buy the beleaguered Weinstein Co. on Tuesday after discovering tens of millions of dollars in undisclosed debt, according to people familiar with the negotiations. Businesswoman Maria Contreras-Sweet, who has been leading the group of buyers along with billionaire investor Ron...
Alleged Victims May Get $90M
After Sale of Weinstein Co.
Mar 2, 2018 10:20 AM CST
Alleged Victims May Get $90M After Sale of Weinstein Co.
Up to 95% of company assets to be acquired in $500M deal
- The Weinstein Company will cease to exist as we know it under a new sale that also sets aside about $90 million for its co-founder Harvey Weinstein's alleged victims , reports the
New York Post
. The company's board has agreed to a $500 million deal to sell 90% to...
Weinstein Company Says
Bankruptcy Is Only Choice
Feb 26, 2018 3:25 AM CST
Weinstein Company Says Bankruptcy Is Only Choice
Board says proposed deal would leave TWC 'hobbling toward its demise'
- Last-ditch efforts to save The Weinstein Company have failed and bankruptcy is now the only viable option, the company's board of directors says. The studio—founded by disgraced producer Harvey Weinstein and his brother Bob in 2005—says that while "this is an extremely unfortunate outcome for our...
Weinstein Causes Fury by
Quoting Streep in His Defense
Feb 22, 2018 7:47 AM CST
Weinstein Causes Fury by Quoting Streep in His Defense
Meryl Streep calls the use of her words in his court filing 'pathetic and exploitive'
- Harvey Weinstein wants a judge to dismiss a federal sexual misconduct lawsuit against him and invoked the words and actions of Oscar-winning actresses including Meryl Streep in his defense. Lawyers for the disgraced film mogul said Tuesday in federal court in New York that the proposed class-action lawsuit filed by...
Lawsuit: Weinstein Forced
Staff to Facilitate 'Conquests'
Feb 12, 2018 3:07 AM CST
Lawsuit: Weinstein Forced Staff to Facilitate 'Conquests'
NY state AG files suit that could block company sale
- New York's attorney general says he has filed a lawsuit that could block the sale of the Weinstein Company because he doesn't want the "perpetrators" or "enablers" of sexual misconduct to be "unjustly enriched." The civil suit, which names TWC, Harvey Weinstein, and Bob...
5 US Brands That
May Vanish in 2018
Dec 20, 2017 10:30 AM CST
5 US Brands That May Vanish in 2018
2 are tied to this year's #MeToo movement
- We'll soon lock 2017 away in our memory banks, but our recollections aren't the only things we may be leaving behind. Major US brands could be disappearing, per 24/7 Wall St. , a result of factors such as lagging customer demand, cuts from up high in corporate, and bad...
Bob Weinstein: Harvey Asked
Me to Pay Women $600K; I Did
Nov 21, 2017 11:15 AM CST
Bob Weinstein: Harvey Asked Me to Pay Women $600K; I Did
But Bob Weinstein says he didn't know 2 women had accused his brother of harassment
- Ronan Farrow continues his investigation into Harvey Weinstein's sexual assault and harassment settlements with a new piece in the
, offering the strongest evidence yet that Weinstein's brother and Weinstein Company partner was in the know. Though Bob Weinstein has denied prior knowledge of allegations from more...
'This Has Haunted
Oct 30, 2017 3:48 PM CDT
'This Has Haunted Me': Weinstein Accuser Alleges '70s Rape
Meaning timeline of allegations now stretches over 4 decades
- It's been more than three weeks since that first
New York Times
story opened the floodgates on the Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment and assault scandal, and since that exposé, dozens of women have come forward with related stories to tell about the disgraced producer. A new story in the...
Company He Founded
Oct 26, 2017 3:16 PM CDT
Weinstein Sues Company He Founded
Producer wants access to his The Weinstein Co. email account
- In the wake of numerous allegations of sexual harassment and assault, Harvey Weinstein is suing the company he founded and that recently ousted him as chairman, Reuters reports. The producer filed a lawsuit against The Weinstein Co. on Thursday in Delaware. According to TMZ , Weinstein is seeking access to his...
In Private, Weinstein Brothers
Were at War With Each Other
Oct 19, 2017 8:57 AM CDT
In Private, Weinstein Brothers Were at War With Each Other
Death of their mother may have led to change: report
- Bob Weinstein's prior knowledge of the sexual harassment and assault allegations now piling up against his brother, Harvey Weinstein, isn't clear. What is clear is that the brothers were in the midst of a rift that the scandal would only expose. According to the
Los Angeles Times
Oct 17, 2017 4:32 PM CDT
As Weinstein Resigns, Allegations Emerge Against His Brother
Harvey Weinstein resigns from Weinstein Company board
- Harvey Weinstein is all the way out at the company he founded. He resigned from the Weinstein Company's board of directors Tuesday, more than a week after he was fired from his role as co-chairman of the company following a reportedly explosive board meeting . Per TMZ , Weinstein's contract...
Longtime Trump Associate
May Save Weinstein Company
Oct 16, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Longtime Trump Associate May Save Weinstein Company
Financier Thomas Barrack of Colony Capital provides cash infusion
- The beleaguered Weinstein Company has just secured what the
New York Times
calls a "financial lifeline." The Hollywood company, reeling from the sexual harassment and assault claims against co-founder Harvey Weinstein, struck a deal with Colony Capital for an "immediate capital infusion," TWC says in a...
Oscars Board Has Only Booted
1 Member Before Weinstein
Oct 15, 2017 2:21 AM CDT
Oscars Board Has Only Booted 1 Member Before Weinstein
Embattled producer is out after emergency session, but Polanksi and Cosby remain
- The swift move by Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to r evoke Harvey Weinstein's membership was virtually unprecedented, reports the AP . The decision was reached in an emergency session by the world's top movie organization and home to the Oscars. Only one person is thought to...
Bob Weinstein Is
'Mortified and Disgusted'
Oct 14, 2017 10:44 AM CDT
Bob Weinstein Is 'Mortified and Disgusted'
He wants Academy to expel 'sick and depraved' brother
- Bob Weinstein is "mortified and disgusted" at the actions of his "sick and depraved" older brother—and he wants Harvey Weinstein to get "the justice he deserves." Bob tells the
that he knew Harvey was a philanderer, but he "had no idea about...
'He's Big and Fat, So I Had
to Be Forceful to Resist Him'
Oct 12, 2017 6:21 AM CDT
'He's Big and Fat, So I Had to Be Forceful to Resist Him'
New Harvey Weinstein accusers emerge
- Harvey Weinstein, facing the implosion of his career and his marriage amid a flood of sexual assault and misconduct allegations, says he's seeking help. "I gotta get help, guys," he told reporters outside his 22-year-old daughter's Los Angeles home Wednesday, per TMZ , which reports that he...
and Leaves Him
Oct 11, 2017 6:31 AM CDT
Weinstein's Wife Condemns Him and Leaves Him
'My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain'
- The Manhattan district attorney's office says it is strongly encouraging women who may have been abused by Harvey Weinstein to come forward—but it is too late to prosecute him in a 2015 groping case. Manhattan Chief Assistant DA Karen Friedman-Agnifilo says they would have prosecuted Weinstein for forcibly...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.