Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
17-Year-Old Caught After
Prison Break Does It Again
Nov 27, 2023 9:35 AM CST
17-Year-Old Caught After Prison Break Does It Again
David Atkins, 17, slipped out of Baton Rouge detention facility on Saturday with another teen
- Louisiana police have their hands full with a murder suspect, who has escaped youth jail there not once but twice this month. CBS News reports that two teens slipped out of the East Baton Rouge Juvenile Detention Center on Saturday night, though authorities aren't yet sure how. WAFB identifies...
New Suit Says Police Abused
Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Sep 21, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
FBI steps into Baton Rouge case
- A second lawsuit has been filed against a Louisiana police department accusing officers of taking detainees to a warehouse they called the "Brave Cave" to be assaulted, beaten, and subjected to body cavity searches. Ternell Brown, 47, filed her suit Monday in federal court, CNN reports. The filing says...
Cops: He Got Away With Murder
—Until 2nd in Same Place
Sep 15, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
Cops: He Got Away With Murder —Until 2nd in Same Place
July beating death made police revisit December death in same Louisiana apartment
- When Christina Hobbs was found dead in her Louisiana apartment in December, authorities concluded she'd died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Some seven months later, authorities concluded that the 26-year-old had in fact been murdered only after a man with which she was involved allegedly killed a second woman...
Man Found Dead on Work Trip
Encountered Drugs, Prostitutes
Mar 30, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Man Found Dead on Work Trip Encountered Drugs, Prostitutes
Nathan Millard, found with fentanyl in system, died of accidental drug overdose: report
- Nathan Millard, the Georgia businessman whose body was found wrapped in plastic in Baton Rouge earlier this month, died of an accidental drug overdose, authorities say. A toxicology report shows the 42-year-old father of five had fentanyl, cocaine, and ethanol (alcohol) in his system at the time of death. Police...
Georgia Man Who Vanished
on Work Trip Found Dead
Mar 8, 2023 10:40 AM CST
Georgia Man Who Vanished on Work Trip Found Dead
Nathan Millard was last seen heading back to his Baton Rouge hotel on Feb. 22
- The body of a Georgia man who vanished while on a work trip to Louisiana was found early Monday . Baton Rouge police tell BRProud that Nathan Millard's body had been wrapped in plastic and rolled in a rug that was left in back of a vacant lot on Scenic...
Latest Woe: Thieves
Nov 2, 2022 7:52 AM CDT
Century-Old Wreck's Latest Woe: Thieves
4 pieces stolen from Brookhill Ferry in Baton Rouge, La., with 2 still missing
- Four pieces of a century-old shipwreck visible for the first time in decades as a result of low water levels along the Mississippi River have been stolen. Louisiana state archaeologist Charles McGimsey says he caught one man carrying away a piece of the Brookhill Ferry, located near downtown Baton Rouge,...
5 Missing Texas Boys
Found, in Another State
Oct 19, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
5 Missing Texas Boys Found, in Another State
Mom, boyfriend arrested in Baton Rouge, La.
- Five siblings who went missing from the Cypress, Texas, area early Tuesday have been found, albeit in another state. Harris County Constable Ted Heap says that the boys, ranging in age from 7 to 14, were located safe in Baton Rouge, La., and their mother and her boyfriend have been...
Low Water Revealing
History in Mississippi River
Oct 18, 2022 1:42 PM CDT
Low Water Revealing History in Mississippi River
Remains of a 95-foot vessel emerged near Baton Rouge
- A shipwreck has emerged along the banks of the Mississippi River in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, as water levels threaten to reach record lows in some areas. The ship, which archaeologists believe to be a ferry that sunk in the late 1800s to early 1900s, was spotted by a Baton Rouge...
Crowd at Garth Brooks Concert
Was Earthquake-Level Intense
May 3, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
Crowd at Garth Brooks Concert Was Earthquake-Level Intense
Louisiana seismograph actually registered a temblor during 'Callin' Baton Rouge'
- The thunder wasn't rolling, but the earth was shaking at a Garth Brooks concert over the weekend, at least according to a campus seismograph. The
Biloxi Sun Herald
reports that on Saturday evening, at Louisiana State University's Tiger Stadium, the din of the crowd was "deafening,"...
Autopsy Review Finds
Car Crash Didn't Kill
Nov 2, 2021 3:14 PM CDT
Autopsy Review Finds Car Crash Didn't Kill Ronald Greene
Black man was beaten, restrained by officers in Louisiana after minor crash
: Body camera video released earlier this year shows Louisiana State Police troopers beating, stunning, and dragging Ronald Greene before his death—and an autopsy review ordered by the FBI could make homicide charges more likely. Sources tell the AP that the forensic review has removed the relatively minor car...
Killer Put Away for Life
Dead in Apparent Suicide
Sep 23, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Killer Put Away for Life Dead in Apparent Suicide
Judge said Kenneth Gleason, murderer of 2 Black men in Louisiana, couldn't be rehabilitated
- A white man convicted of the random killing of two Black men in Baton Rouge, La., in 2017 reportedly died by suicide just as he was starting a life sentence. Authorities say Kenneth Gleason, 27, was discovered dead early Wednesday in his cell at the Louisiana State Penitentiary in Angola,...
He Sat on the
Toilet at Dawn.
Suddenly, a 'Nip'
in case you missed it
Jul 11, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
He Sat on the Toilet at Dawn. Suddenly, a 'Nip'
Python escapes from Austria apartment, ends up in neighbor's bathroom
- An elderly Austrian man had an unpleasant surprise waiting for him while answering nature's call early Monday: a python, in his toilet. The man, identified by the BBC as 65-year-old Walter Erhart, tells the broadcaster that he "went to the toilet as usual" in his Graz apartment around...
Body of Missing LSU
Student Is Found
Apr 15, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Body of Missing LSU Student Is Found
Freshman Kori Gauthier found in Mississippi River; no foul play suspected
- The body of a missing Louisiana State University student has been found in the Mississippi River, ending a dayslong search involving hundreds of people. "We have concluded that there was no criminal activity or foul play involved" in the death of Kori Gauthier, an 18-year-old freshman, LSU Police Chief...
Frat Brothers Give Their
Old Cook a Generous Surprise
Apr 14, 2021 8:41 AM CDT
Frat Brothers Give Their Old Cook a Generous Surprise
LSU's Phi Gamma Delta brothers donate to pay off Jessie Hamilton's mortgage
- Jessie Hamilton says she's worked at least two jobs, and sometimes four, ever since she was 14. She's now 74 and finally ready to retire, thanks to a generous act from some of the people she's served throughout her career. Fourteen of those years, from 1982 to...
'Moral Concerns' Hover
Over J&J Vaccine
in case you missed it
Mar 6, 2021 7:00 AM CST
'Moral Concerns' Hover Over J&J Vaccine
Archdiocese of New Orleans, Diocese of Baton Rouge slam it for using cell lines from abortions
- As health experts continue to plead with the public to accept any vaccine currently offered—be it one from Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson —a new wrinkle has emerged for the latter shot in Louisiana. That's because on Friday, the Archdiocese of New Orleans implored Catholics to,...
US Cities That Need the
Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Dec 11, 2020 5:05 PM CST
US Cities That Need the Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Detroit, Cleveland top the list
- With Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine possibly just days away from being shipped, the next order of business will be starting to divvy it up for distribution across the country. WalletHub looked at more than 90 cities across America to figure out which may need the most initial vaccinations. The site...
LSU Player: I Was
Times' in Police Stop
Nov 10, 2020 6:41 PM CST
LSU Player: I Was 'Violated Numerous Times' in Police Stop
3 Baton Rouge officers placed on leave
- Police in Baton Rouge say three officers have been placed on administrative leave following a Saturday night incident in which LSU Tigers player Koy Moore said he was "violated." "Last night, I was approached by a policeman. They pulled guns on me assuming I had a gun...
Hostess Attacked for Following
Virus Rules Won't Return to Job
Aug 14, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
Hostess Attacked for Following Virus Rules Won't Return to Job
Police make 3 arrests in assault of 17-year-old who enforced social distancing
- When a group of 13 arrived at a Louisiana Chili's last weekend to dine, the hostess explained that the restaurant's social distancing rules limit each table to six people. The group became agressive then, Kelsy Wallace said. She was trying to figure out where to put everyone when...
Activist Confronts School
Board Member, Goes Viral
Jun 23, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
Activist Confronts School Board Member, Goes Viral
Gary Chambers wasn't having it when Connie Bernard defended school named for Robert E. Lee
- An activist who showed up at a Louisiana school board meeting has gone viral after he confronted one board member who defended keeping the name of a school named after Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and seemed to be shopping online during the Thursday meeting, per ABC News . "I...
Pastor Rallies Hundreds,
Claims COVID-19 Is 'Political'
Mar 26, 2020 10:55 AM CDT
Pastor Rallies Hundreds, Claims COVID-19 Is 'Political'
The Rev. Tony Spell of Louisiana intends to continue services until forced to stop
- Louisiana had already banned gatherings of more than 50 people before Gov. John Bel Edwards announced a statewide order against groups of more than 10 on Sunday. But the first order didn't stop a pastor from herding a claimed 1,000 people into his church week after week, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.