Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
April 11 Will Be a Big Day
for Transgender Americans
Mar 31, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
April 11 Will Be a Big Day for Transgender Americans
State Department sets date for widespread introduction of gender-neutral passports
- In what State Department special envoy for LGBTQ rights Jessica Stern calls a "momentous step," Americans will be able to select "X" as their gender on passport applications starting April 11. Stern says adding the gender-neutral option moves the US toward "ensuring that our administrative systems...
Fee Hike Is
on the Way
Dec 23, 2021 2:32 PM CST
Big Passport Fee Hike Is on the Way
Passport books will cost $20 more starting Monday
- American citizens applying for new passports or renewing old ones next week might get sticker shock: The fee is set to jump by 18%, more than double the rate of inflation, starting Dec. 27. The State Department tweeted this week that the cost of a passport book is going up...
in a Big First
Oct 27, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
'X' Marks US Passport in a Big First
United States has issued one with 'X' gender designation instead of 'male' or 'female'
- The US has issued its first passport with an "X" gender designation—a milestone in the recognition of the rights of people who don't identify as male or female—and expects to be able to offer the option more broadly next year, the State Department said Wednesday. The...
US Passports Are Getting
a Third Gender Option
Jul 1, 2021 7:07 AM CDT
US Passports Are Getting a Third Gender Option
State Department says applicants can now self-select gender
- Under changes announced by the State Department on Wednesday, American passports will still list a person's gender—but it will be up to the individual whether it says M or F, and a third option is on the way. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said in a release that...
CEO Just Bought
a Passport to EU
Nov 10, 2020 8:54 AM CST
Report: Ex-Google CEO Just Bought a Passport to EU
Recode: Eric Schmidt has applied, been approved for citizenship in Cyprus in 'passport for sale' scheme
- Buried within the pages of a publication in Cyprus last month, a tiny notice appeared written in the Greek alphabet, except for one name written in English: "Eric Emerson Schmidt," of Atherton, Calif. That notice in
was an announcement of an application and approval for Cypriot citizenship,...
Looking to Get
a New Passport?
It for Now
Apr 4, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Looking to Get a New Passport? Forget About It for Now
Unless you have 'life-or-death emergency' or are renewing, State Dept. says passports are on hold
- The State Department wasn't kidding when it put out its "level four" travel advisory last month urging Americans not to go abroad amid the coronavirus pandemic. CNN reports that on Friday, the department put up a "passport operations" update on its website , and the upshot of that...
Big Break for
Now They Can Leave
Aug 2, 2019 6:33 AM CDT
Big Break for Saudi Women: Now They Can Leave
Male guardians no longer have authority over women's passports
- Saudi women 21 and above hoping to leave the country no longer need a man's help. Saudi Arabia continued its loosening of restrictions on women on Thursday with passage of an amendment that, once it goes into effect at the end of August, will allow all Saudi women to...
Epstein Lawyers: This Is
Why He Had a Fake Passport
Jul 17, 2019 3:49 AM CDT
Epstein Lawyers: This Is Why He Had a Fake Passport
They say it was in case of hijacking in 1980s
- Billionaire sex offender Jeffrey Epstein had a good reason for possessing a fake passport, his lawyers argued in a court filing Tuesday. The attorneys said the doctored Austrian passport — cited by prosecutors as a reason why the 66-year-old should be considered a flight risk—was acquired by Epstein to...
Says Tennis Star's
Passport Is a
Jun 20, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
CAR Minister Says Tennis Star's Passport Is a 'Clumsy Fake'
And that Boris Becker isn't an official diplomat, though Becker disagrees
- Boris Becker's claim of diplomatic immunity in an ongoing bankruptcy case just went from odd to bewildering. Though the former tennis champ claims his April appointment as a Central African Republic attache to the European Union means he's immune from bankruptcy hearings in the UK, the CAR appears...
Is Josef Pwag Really
Kim Jong Un?
Mar 1, 2018 6:25 AM CST
Is Josef Pwag Really Kim Jong Un?
Sources tell Reuters they've found the leader's secret Brazilian passport
- Meet Josef Pwag and Ijong Tchoi. Or, Kim Jong Un and Kim Jong Il, respectively, if Reuters sources are correct. The news agency exclusively reports on what five senior Western European security sources say are Brazilian passports that were fraudulently issued to the North Koreans in 1996. A source explains...
Convicted Pedophiles to Be
Identified on New US Passports
Nov 3, 2017 12:10 AM CDT
Convicted Pedophiles to Be Identified on New US Passports
New document will identify them as sex offenders
- America's registered child sex offenders will now have to use passports identifying them for their past crimes when traveling overseas. The State Department said Wednesday it would begin revoking passports of registered child sex offenders and will require them to apply for a new one that carries a "...
May 30, 2017 7:36 AM CDT
Australia Plans 'World-First' Move Against Pedophiles
'The existing passport legislation was not working'
- "No country has ever taken such decisive and strong action to stop its citizens from going overseas ... to abuse kids." So declares an Australian official in discussing a bold "world-first" plan that would see passports denied to convicted pedophiles who had served their time but remained a...
Red Bull Heir's Passport to Be
Revoked in Hit-and-Run Case
May 4, 2017 11:13 AM CDT
Red Bull Heir's Passport to Be Revoked in Hit-and-Run Case
Vorayuth 'Boss' Yoovidhya lived in luxury for years after the accident
- Thai authorities said Thursday they will revoke the passport of a fugitive heir to the Red Bull energy drink fortune who is wanted on deadly hit-and-run charges, the AP reports. Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya flew to Singapore two days before he was due to appear before prosecutors last month, but...
White Sox Player Ate
His Passport on a Plane
Mar 2, 2017 9:42 AM CST
White Sox Player Ate His Passport on a Plane
Jose Abreu testified he had to get rid of fake doc before landing in US
- Some people snack on the peanuts offered on airline flights; Jose Abreu scarfs down beer and pieces of his passport. That's what the first baseman for the Chicago White Sox testified Wednesday in Miami at a trial for a baseball agent and a trainer accused of smuggling Cuban baseball...
Snowden One Step
Closer to Russian
Jan 18, 2017 7:10 AM CST
Snowden One Step Closer to Russian Citizenship
NSA whistleblower just got 3-year extension on residency permit
- Comrade Edward Snowden? Per Reuters , the NSA whistleblower just inched closer to that possibility with a three-year extension of his residency permit in Russia, meaning he may be eligible to apply for Russian citizenship next year, the RIA Novosti news agency quoted his Russian lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, as saying Wednesday....
Glasses Banned From
US Passport Photos
Oct 15, 2016 7:06 AM CDT
Glasses Banned From US Passport Photos
State Department says this will speed things up
- There's going to be a lot of squinting Americans in passport photos starting next month: The State Department says that as of Nov. 1, eyeglasses will be banned in photos for passports and visa applications unless the photos come with a doctor's note saying the glasses are a...
Rio Judge Orders Seizure
of Ryan Lochte's Passport
Aug 17, 2016 10:54 AM CDT
Rio Judge Orders Seizure of Ryan Lochte's Passport
But the swimmer is already back in the US
- A weird development in the investigation of the alleged robbery of Ryan Lochte and three others US swimmers in Rio: A judge there on Wednesday ordered the passports of Lochte and fellow swimmer James Feigen seized, reports the AP . The judge apparently is skeptical that the robbery actually took place...
Most Powerful Passport
Isn't American or British
Mar 1, 2016 8:41 AM CST
Most Powerful Passport Isn't American or British
It's German, giving holder visa-free access to 177 countries
- Think Americans hold the most powerful passport on the planet? You're not even close, according to an index from a British immigration and citizenship firm. Henley & Partners' Visa Restrictions Index finds a German passport gives its holder visa-free access to 177 countries, more than any other passport. In...
Feb 18, 2016 12:26 PM CST
The Internet Loses It Over Prince's Passport Photo
- Most of us look like this in our passport photos, but most of us are not Prince. The Internet has gone head over heels after the musician tweeted his most recent passport photo last week. A sample of the fawning reaction:
"Most glamorous passport photo in history," declares
Mos Def Arrested for
Fake 'World Passport'
Jan 15, 2016 11:43 AM CST
Mos Def Arrested for Fake 'World Passport'
Rapper has 14 days to leave South Africa and is banned for 5 years
- A government spokesman says the American entertainer commonly known as Mos Def was arrested in South Africa for traveling with a fraudulent passport. Department of Home Affairs spokesman Mayihlome Tshwete tells the AP that the 42-year-old rapper and actor was arrested at Cape Town International Airport on Thursday. Mos Def...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Fatally Forgetting His Son in Car, Dad Kills Self
Video: Bison Attacks Family in Yellowstone
Investigators: Face Scratches a Clue to ER Actress's Death
'This Is the Smoking Gun,' Legal Analyst Says
As Testimony Ends, Cheney's Closing Called 'Stunning'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.