Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Goes in Opposite
Mar 9, 2023 1:09 PM CST
Biden Plan Goes in Opposite Direction of GOP Wishes
President unveils budget proposal calling for higher spending, plus tax increases
- President Biden unveiled the third budget of his presidency on Thursday. If you're tempted to get deep in the weeds on its details, be aware of one crucial detail: It "has no chance of becoming reality," writes Jim Tankersley at the
New York Times
. Still, the $6....
Biden Rolls Out
$5.8T Budget Plan
Mar 28, 2022 5:08 PM CDT
Biden Rolls Out $5.8T Budget Plan
It includes higher taxes on the rich, more money for law enforcement
- President Biden announced a budget blueprint Monday that calls for higher taxes on the wealthy, lower federal deficits, more money for police, and greater funding for education, public health, and housing. Appearing at the White House with budget director Shalanda Young, Biden said the proposal sends a clear message to...
Biden Plans Minimum Tax
on the Richest 700 Americans
Mar 27, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Biden Plans Minimum Tax on the Richest 700 Americans
Measure would cut deficit and cost Bezos, Musk billions
- President Biden's plans for his next budget, to be announced Monday, include a new tax on the wealthiest 700 Americans—designed to bring in $360 billion over the next decade. The Billionaire Minimum Income Tax would set a 20% baseline tax rate on households worth more than $100 million,...
Dems Break Deadlock
on $3.5T Budget Blueprint
Aug 24, 2021 5:31 PM CDT
Dems Break Deadlock on $3.5T Budget Blueprint
It passes after Pelosi makes promise to moderates
- Democratic leaders have overcome a standoff between progressive and moderates and passed a $3.5 trillion budget plan. A group of moderate House Democrats had threatened to block the plan, potentially derailing a big part of President Biden's agenda, unless there was an immediate vote on the $1 trillion...
Senate Launches 'Vote-a-Rama'
on $3.5T Budget Blueprint
Aug 10, 2021 8:09 PM CDT
Senate Launches 'Vote-a-Rama' on $3.5T Budget Blueprint
Amendment against defunding police passes 99-0
- Democrats pushed their expansive $3.5 trillion framework for bolstering family services, health, and environment programs toward Senate passage Tuesday, as Republicans unleashed an avalanche of amendments aimed at making their rivals pay a price in next year’s elections. Congressional approval of the budget resolution, which seems assured, would...
Senate Democrats Reach
'Enormous' Budget Agreement
Jul 14, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
Senate Democrats Reach 'Enormous' Budget Agreement
It envisions spending $3.5T over the coming decade
- Senate Democrats announced late Tuesday that they'd reached a budget agreement envisioning spending an enormous $3.5 trillion over the coming decade, paving the way for their drive to pour federal resources into climate change, health care, and family-service programs sought by President Biden. The accord marks a major...
Trump Budget Drops Program
Honoring Slain Ambassador
Feb 16, 2020 12:30 PM CST
Trump Budget Drops Program Honoring Slain Ambassador
It's the third time Trump administration has eliminated the program's funding
- The Trump administration has left an organization created in honor of Chris Stevens, the US ambassador killed in the 2012 Benghazi attack, out of its next budget. The fiscal 2021 budget proposal eliminates the $5 million requested for the nonprofit Stevens Initiative, part of the $420 million cut from the...
GOP Chair's Take
on Trump Budget:
No Hearing Necessary
Feb 11, 2020 8:43 AM CST
GOP Chair's Take on Trump Budget: No Hearing Necessary
Senate Budget Committee's Mike Enzi says it's a waste of time, felt the same during Obama years
- President Trump released his 2021 budget on Monday to great fanfare, but don't expect to hear much about it in terms of Senate debate. The chair of the Senate Budget Committee says he won't even schedule a hearing on it because the document is essentially meaningless, reports the...
Feb 9, 2020 3:30 PM CST
Look Out: Here Comes Trump's New Budget Plan
The AP says it relies on 'rosy' projections
- Confronted with trillion-dollar-plus deficits for as far as the eye can see, President Trump is offering a budget plan that rehashes previously rejected spending cuts while leaving Social Security and Medicare benefits untouched. Trump’s fiscal 2021 budget plan, expected to be released Monday, isn’t likely to generate a...
Parties Cut Spending Deal
Adding $400B to Deficit
Dec 19, 2019 5:55 PM CST
Parties Cut Spending Deal Adding $400B to Deficit
Trump will sign $1.4T package, aides say, averting shutdown
- Congress gave final approval to a $1.4 trillion government spending package Thursday on its way out the door for the holidays, avoiding a potential government shutdown this weekend. Aides said President Trump will sign the two bills by the midnight Friday deadline, Politico reports. In funding the government through...
House Passes Bill to Avert
Another Possible Shutdown
Sep 19, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
House Passes Bill to Avert Another Possible Shutdown
Senate expected to approve stopgap measure next week
- The House passed a short-term bill Thursday to prevent a federal shutdown when the budget year ends Sept. 30, and give lawmakers until the Thanksgiving break to negotiate and approve $1.4 trillion for federal agencies. The Senate is expected to approve the stopgap bill next week, the AP reports....
Budget, Debt Deal
Jul 25, 2019 4:36 PM CDT
House Passes Trump-Backed Budget, Debt Deal
The 'must-do' compromise heads off another government shutdown
- A hard-won, bipartisan budget and debt compromise between President Donald Trump and Speaker Nancy Pelosi has easily passed the Democratic-controlled House, the AP reports. The bill would head off another government shutdown, permit the Treasury to borrow freely to pay the government's bills, and lock in place recent budget...
Budget Deal Takes Shutdown
and Default Off the Table
Jul 22, 2019 7:02 PM CDT
Budget Deal Takes Shutdown and Default Off the Table
Congressional leaders and Trump reach agreement
- President Trump and congressional leaders announced Monday they had struck a critical debt and budget agreement. The deal amounts to an against-the-odds victory for Washington pragmatists seeking to avoid politically dangerous tumult over the possibility of a government shutdown or first-ever federal default, the AP reports. The deal, announced by...
Trump Finds a Fresh
Avenue for Border Wall Money
Mar 10, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Trump Finds a Fresh Avenue for Border Wall Money
Obviously, the House won't be jumping at it
- President Donald Trump will seek $8.6 billion in his new budget to build the US-Mexico border wall, two administration officials said Sunday, setting up another showdown with Congress, which has resisted giving him more money for his signature campaign promise. The request would more than double the $8.1...
'Dreamers' Left Behind
in $1.3T Budget Bill
Mar 22, 2018 12:38 AM CDT
'Dreamers' Left Behind in $1.3T Budget Bill
'No bill of this size is perfect,' Ryan says
- Congressional leaders finalized a sweeping $1.3 trillion budget bill Wednesday that substantially boosts military and domestic spending but leaves behind young immigrant "Dreamers," deprives President Trump some of his border wall money, and takes only incremental steps to address gun violence. With an end-of-the-week deadline to fund...
Tax Cuts Put One GOP Goal
Off Limits in Trump Budget
Feb 12, 2018 2:41 PM CST
Tax Cuts Put One GOP Goal Off Limits in Trump Budget
Lost revenue means federal deficit won't be eliminated
- President Trump unveiled a $4.4 trillion budget for 2019 on Monday, and those with lots of free time on their hands can read it in full here . Before doing so, understand that it has somewhere around 0% chance of being turned into law. As is the case with presidential...
Mean a Risky
Aug 24, 2017 1:48 PM CDT
Coinciding Deadlines Mean a Risky September
Debt ceiling could become 'entangled' with budget talks, raising fears of a US default
- President Trump's public comments this week have made one thing crystal clear: September is going to be a very big month for the US. Congress faces a Sept. 30 deadline to pass a funding deal to avoid a shutdown, and Trump has thrown a wrench into things by demanding...
Even Some Republicans Say
Trump's Budget Is 'Draconian'
May 23, 2017 12:49 PM CDT
Even Some Republicans Say Trump's Budget Is 'Draconian'
Proposed budget includes deep cuts to Medicaid, food stamps, and more
- The $4.1 trillion budget sent to Congress Tuesday by President Trump claims it will erase the national deficit by 2027, the AP reports. It will do this by drastically cutting programs for the poor, including Medicaid and food stamps, as well as decreasing funding for medical research, highways, and...
White House Didn't Claim Meals
on Wheels Doesn't Get Results
Mar 17, 2017 2:32 PM CDT
White House Didn't Claim Meals on Wheels Doesn't Get Results
But its budget could be disastrous for the nonprofit program anyway
- The Trump administration has been under fire after Mick Mulvaney reportedly said funding cuts to Meals on Wheels are justified because the program is "just not showing results." But in fairness to Mulvaney, the
reports that's not what the budget director actually said. When he...
Sep 30, 2015 5:44 PM CDT
Congress Barely Avoids Government Shutdown
But further budget battles loom
- Congress narrowly avoided a government shutdown Wednesday thanks the House passing a temporary spending measure with mere hours to spare, the
New York Times
reports. However, the measure only funds the federal government through Dec. 11, meaning more budget battles are on the way. According to the Hill , the mood...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.