Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
10 Countries With the Biggest
Generation Gap on Religion
Jun 13, 2018 6:02 PM CDT
10 Countries With the Biggest Generation Gap on Religion
In 46 of 106 countries, adults under 40 were less religious than adults 40 and over
- Is there a generation gap when it comes to religious belief? A new study by Pew Research Center surveyed religious beliefs in 106 countries over the last decade and found that in 46 of them, individuals between the ages of 18 and 39 were less religious than those 40 and...
For Americans, This
Is the 'Face of God'
Jun 12, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
For Americans, This Is the 'Face of God'
Ryan Gosling, is that you?
- You can now say you've stared into the face of God, or at least a face Americans believe resembles it. Surprisingly, there's no beard in sight. Instead, faces selected from pairs of photos by more than 500 US Christians tasked with choosing their vision of God combine to...
Why a Church
in South Africa
Is Causing a Buzz
Apr 21, 2018 8:01 AM CDT
Why a Church in South Africa Is Causing a Buzz
Not everyone loves that Gabola Church celebrates drinking
- Dressed in a red robe and a gold-trimmed bishop's miter, the clergyman pours whiskey into his cupped hand and anoints the forehead of the man sitting before him. "You are hereby invested as a minister," he says. He hands the remaining whiskey to the new minister, who...
May Soon Have to
Mar 22, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
Tenn. Schools May Soon Have to Show 'Cornerstone of Freedom'
Bill to prominently display national motto of 'In God We Trust' now on Gov. Haslam's desk
- It's up to Bill Haslam now whether one of America's most famous mottos ends up prominently displayed in his state's schools. The
reports a bill is headed toward the Tennessee governor's desk to call for the conspicuous display in schools of the "In God...
Her Religious Beliefs Sent Her
to Jail. Now They May Free Her
Mar 12, 2018 8:44 AM CDT
Her Religious Beliefs Sent Her to Jail. Now They May Free Her
Investigator was held in contempt of court in death penalty case, but now, a 'dramatic change'
- Greta Lindecrantz was sent to jail due to her religious convictions, and now, after two weeks behind bars, those religious convictions, as well as a "dramatic change in circumstance," will apparently set her free. Lindecrantz, a criminal defense investigator, was held in contempt of court Feb. 26 for...
Satanic Temple Sues to
Lead City Council Prayers
Feb 28, 2018 12:07 AM CST
Satanic Temple Sues to Lead City Council Prayers
Group is taking Scottsdale, Ariz., to court
- A group that invokes the name Satan as a metaphor for opposing religious tyranny has sued the well-off Phoenix suburb of Scottsdale, Ariz., accusing officials of discrimination after being denied an opportunity to give the opening prayer at a City Council meeting. Michelle Shortt of the Satanic Temple of Tucson...
5 Most, Least
Religious US States
Oct 27, 2017 1:05 PM CDT
5 Most, Least Religious US States
New Hampshire is where Americans are least religious, Mississippi the most
- Being able to freely turn to whatever higher power one chooses (or none at all) is one of the principles America was founded on, but in some states, residents take their religion more seriously than others. A Pew Research Center survey from 2014 was placed under the 24/7 Wall St....
in a Big Way
in case you missed it
Sep 9, 2017 2:00 PM CDT
Religion in America Changing in a Big Way
For starters, white Christians no longer make up majority of nation
- A major new survey on the religious beliefs of Americans is out, and the Public Religion Research Institute sees a "dramatic transformation" taking place across the country. Two big takeaways from the 2016 survey of 101,000 people: White Christians no longer make up a majority of Americans, with...
One of Last 3
Jan 4, 2017 2:22 AM CST
One of Last 3 Remaining Shakers Dies
She died 'surrounded by love, tears, and a lot of Shaker songs'
- Sister Frances Carr, one of the last remaining members of a nearly extinct religious society called the Shakers, has died. She was 89. Carr died Monday surrounded by family and friends in the dwelling house at the Shaker community at Sabbathday Lake in New Gloucester, Maine, after a brief battle...
In Germany, a Massive Raid,
a Ban on the 'True Religion'
Nov 15, 2016 1:03 AM CST
In Germany, a Massive Raid, a Ban on the 'True Religion'
Islamic group accused of radicalizing teens
- Hundreds of police officers searched about 190 offices, mosques, and apartments of members and supporters of the Islamic group "The True Religion" as the German government announced a ban of the organization Tuesday, the AP reports. Police raided places in 60 cities in western Germany and Berlin seizing documents...
Thou Shalt Not
City Grounds: Court
Nov 11, 2016 12:04 PM CST
Thou Shalt Not Erect Religious Monuments on City Grounds: Court
Ten Commandments structure in Bloomfield, NM, declared unconstitutional
- Much like those "rapid-fire warnings at the end of prescription drug commercials," a disclaimer on a Ten Commandments monument in New Mexico might require "a reasonable observer … to get on his knees" to read it, an appeals declared this week. That was one of the factors...
Woman Dies After Drinking
'Cure' That's Basically Clorox
Oct 27, 2016 3:47 PM CDT
Woman Dies After Drinking 'Cure' That's Basically Clorox
It's promoted by a fringe church whose founder says he's from another galaxy
- An institution calling itself the Genesis II Church of Health and Healing is anything but, according to a man who says an elixir promoted by the church as a "miracle cure" is the same concoction that killed her, ABC News reports. Doug Nash says he and his wife, Sylvia...
Why Food Vendors
in Malaysia Have
to Rename Hot Dogs
Oct 19, 2016 12:36 PM CDT
Why Food Vendors in Malaysia Have to Rename Hot Dogs
Government tells Auntie Anne's that 'dog' can't be in product name if it wants halal certification
- What's in a name? In Malaysia, a heck of a lot when it comes to hot dogs. Per the BBC , the country's Islamic Development Department has told food vendors in the mostly Muslim nation that if they want a halal designation (meaning food items have been given the...
Teen Dies After
Oct 10, 2016 7:17 AM CDT
Teen Dies After 68-Day Fast, Family Faces Homicide Charges
13-year-old Aradhana Samdariya was taking part in ancient religious ritual
- For more than two months, a 13-year-old in India took part in an extreme religious fast, reports the BBC . Early this month she called off that fast, but she fell into a coma two days later and died of cardiac arrest on Oct. 4—and now her parents, well-off jewelers...
'After School Satan Club'
Coming to Portland School
Sep 28, 2016 5:43 PM CDT
'After School Satan Club' Coming to Portland School
But it's about teaching science, not worshiping Beelzebub
- Normally, an elementary school adding an after-school program isn't cause for national headlines. Things are little different when the program is called the After School Satan Club. The Portland chapter of the Satanic Temple has just been approved to establish the club at Sacramento Elementary School in Portland, the...
Agrees to Take
Jun 7, 2016 10:21 AM CDT
Texas County Agrees to Take Crosses Off Cop Cars
Gov. Greg Abbott had supported decals, but nonprofit's suit said they were 'unconstitutional'
- A group known for fighting for the separation of church and state has won a victory against Brewster County, Texas, reaching a settlement that has county cops agreeing to remove decals with crosses on them from police cars, Reuters reports. In response to a suit filed this year by the...
Church of Scotland OKs
Gay Marriage for Its Ministers
May 21, 2016 11:40 AM CDT
Church of Scotland OKs Gay Marriage for Its Ministers
But they still won't be able to perform gay marriages
- The Church of Scotland has voted to let its ministers enter same-sex marriages—though it says it "maintains its traditional view of marriage between a man and woman," the AP reports. The church's general assembly voted Saturday to allow congregations to "opt out" from traditional teaching...
We Want Bible
as State Book
Apr 5, 2016 1:52 PM CDT
Tennessee Lawmakers: We Want Bible as State Book
It's up to Gov. Haslam whether bill is 'unconstitutional,' 'sacrilegious,' or neither
- Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam has a bill coming his way that has the Bible nominated as the official state book, a move critics say would be both "unconstitutional and sacrilegious," per Nashville Public Radio . The state Senate approved the holy tome 19-8 Monday night, which could make Tennessee...
Mar 23, 2016 5:45 PM CDT
Women More Devout Than Men: Study
Gender gap in Pew study may be explained by both nature and nurture
- Every pope, Jesus, Moses, Muhammad, and most other major religious leaders have been men, and many religions have either only recently let up restrictions on women officiants or continue to ban them, the
notes. Yet a new study from the Pew Research Center finds that women are the ones...
at Work Can
Bosses in Line
Feb 16, 2016 9:03 AM CST
'Moral Symbols' at Work Can Keep Bad Bosses in Line
'Righteous' quotations, religious items can help workers avoid unethical requests
- Could the whole subprime mess have been avoided if bankers had some inspirational Gandhi quotes laying around? That's the question the
asks after reviewing a study that shows employees who display "moral symbols"—an "ethically righteous quote" or religious item like rosary beads—are...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.