Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jogger Fatally Shoots
Homeless Man on
Nov 27, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Jogger Fatally Shoots Homeless Man on Sidewalk: DA
California man has now been charged in September incident in Garden Grove, near Disneyland
- A southern California man out for a jog fatally shot a homeless man, police say. Craig Sumner Elliott, 68, has just been charged with felony voluntary manslaughter and felony enhancement of personal use of a firearm over the September 28 incident, CNN reports. The Orange County district attorney's office...
California Reopens Burnt
Nov 20, 2023 11:00 AM CST
California Reopens Burnt Freeway, Releases Suspect Photos
I-10 was reopened well ahead of initial schedule
- An elevated Los Angeles freeway closed for more than a week because of an arson fire reopened ahead of Monday morning's commute, at least a day earlier than previously announced and weeks ahead of the original estimate. "The 10 is BACK! ... This is what happens when we work...
Boy, 5, Fatally Stabs Twin
Brother With Kitchen Knife
Nov 20, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Boy, 5, Fatally Stabs Twin Brother With Kitchen Knife
No one will be charged in California tragedy
- Five-year-old twin brothers in northern California were fighting "as siblings sometimes do," authorities said in a statement, when one of the boys grabbed a small kitchen knife and stabbed the other. In spite of the life-saving efforts of first responders including deputies from the Santa Cruz County Sheriff'...
Nov 17, 2023 12:33 PM CST
Ramaswamy Says Who He Thinks Are 'Vermin'
GOP presidential candidate echoes Trump, uses word to apply to San Francisco's homeless people
- Former President Trump's use of the word "vermin" last weekend to describe his political enemies raised a red flag , with critics calling it "straight-up Nazi talk" and a Trump rep responding by calling those critics "snowflakes." Now, another GOP presidential candidate is getting in on...
Charged in Death
of Jewish Protester
Nov 16, 2023 11:33 AM CST
College Professor Charged in Death of Jewish Protester
Loay Alnaji faces involuntary manslaughter charge in Nov. 6 death of Paul Kessler
- The 50-year-old suspect questioned in the death of a Jewish man during protests in California has now been arrested. Loay Alnaji was detained Thursday morning and was expected to be booked on a charge of involuntary manslaughter, said the Ventura County Sheriff's Office, per NBC News . Bail will be...
Suit: Barbie Maker Reneged
on Promise of Big Donation
Nov 15, 2023 3:09 PM CST
Suit: Barbie Maker Reneged on Promise of Big Donation
UCLA Foundation says Mattel should pay the full $49M that was pledged
- The UCLA Mattel Children's Hospital bears the name of the company that donated $25 million to support the hospital's construction in 1998. But Mattel and the UCLA Foundation are now at odds over what the latter claims is the toymaker's decision to renege on a much larger...
'Malice Intent' Behind
Massive LA Freeway Fire
Nov 14, 2023 1:00 AM CST
'Malice Intent' Behind Massive LA Freeway Fire
California Gov. Gavin Newsom says investigation is ongoing
- The fire that damaged a major elevated interstate near downtown Los Angeles, shutting it down (and snarling traffic) indefinitely , was likely arson, officials have determined. The blaze started under an overpass early Saturday, and sources tell the
Los Angeles Times
wood pallets and sanitizer (accumulated amid the early days of...
LA's Gnarly Commute
Just Got Worse
Nov 13, 2023 7:26 AM CST
LA's Gnarly Commute Just Got Worse
Fire causes damage to Los Angeles interstate, drivers are urged to take mass transit on Monday
- Los Angeles motorists should expect traffic snarls during the Monday commute as crews assess how much damage was caused by a raging fire over the weekend that closed a major elevated interstate near downtown, officials said. Hazardous materials teams were clearing burned material from underneath Interstate 10 to make way...
Town Decimated by Fire
Has New Obstacle to Rebuild
Nov 12, 2023 2:30 PM CST
Town Decimated by Fire Has New Obstacle to Rebuild
Homeowners in California town of Paradise find home insurance premiums have skyrocketed
- The soaring cost of home insurance has consumed the California town of Paradise, residents and officials say, just after the five-year anniversary of the Nov. 8, 2018, Camp Fire, the deadliest wildfire in California history. Residents have received annual premiums that are near or exceed $10,000—leaving many to...
Biden, Xi Jinping Will Meet
Next Week in California
Nov 10, 2023 7:54 AM CST
Biden, Xi Jinping Will Meet Next Week in California
Leaders to meet Wednesday on the sidelines of summit in San Francisco
- President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping will meet Wednesday in California in the first engagement between the leaders of the world's two biggest economies in nearly a year, Biden administration officials said. The White House has said for weeks that it anticipated Biden and Xi would meet on...
City Warns of 'Extreme Peril'
After Blimp Hangar Fire
Nov 10, 2023 7:36 AM CST
City Warns of 'Extreme Peril' After Blimp Hangar Fire
Parks, schools closed after asbestos found in debris of WWII-era building
- Parks and schools were closed Thursday in a southern California city after officials found asbestos in the charred debris of a historic World War II-era blimp hangar. The city of Tustin closed at least nine parks and urged residents to limit outdoor activities to reduce their exposure to ash after...
Man Looking for Recyclables
Makes Grim Find: Cops
Nov 9, 2023 10:30 AM CST
Man Looking for Recyclables Makes Grim Find: Cops
Authorities fear torso found in Encino dumpster may be lead in case of missing 3; man arrested
- Police officers who responded to a report of a women's torso in a dumpster in Encino, California, fear not just one life was lost, but three. Police have arrested a Tarzana man, whose wife and in-laws are missing, KNBC reports. A man who'd been searching for recyclables reported...
GM Recalls All Cruises for
Software Change After Injuries
Nov 8, 2023 5:55 PM CST
GM Recalls All Cruises for Software Change After Injuries
California revoked the vehicle's license
- General Motors' Cruise autonomous vehicle unit is recalling all 950 of its cars to update software after one of them dragged a pedestrian to the side of a San Francisco street in early October. The company said in documents posted by federal safety regulators on Wednesday that with the updated...
Ex-CIA Officer Guilty of
Abusing Dozens of Women
Nov 7, 2023 7:14 PM CST
Ex-CIA Officer Guilty of Abusing Dozens of Women
'Experienced predator' Brian Jeffrey Raymond faces up to 30 years in prison under plea deal
- A former CIA officer accused of drugging and sexually assaulting at least two dozen women during various overseas postings pleaded guilty Tuesday to federal sex abuse charges. Brian Jeffrey Raymond kept nearly 500 videos and photographs he took of naked, unconscious women, including many in which he can be seen...
Man Says He
Thought He Would Die
in Otter Attack
Nov 7, 2023 5:20 PM CST
Man Says He Thought He Would Die in Otter Attack
He was bitten at least a dozen times while swimming in northern California lake
- California man Matt Leffers says it was "by far the most terrifying experience" of his life —and it happened in waters he's been swimming in for 30 years.The 69-year-old San Francisco resident tells
that he was attacked by a pair of aggressive otters while...
Jewish Man Dies
After Altercation at
Rallies for Israel,
Nov 7, 2023 3:30 AM CST
Jewish Man Dies After Altercation at Rallies for Israel, Palestinians
Police are investigating his death as a homicide
- A 69-year-old Jewish man died Monday after falling and striking his head following a confrontation the previous day during competing pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian demonstrations in suburban Los Angeles, authorities said. Paul Kessler's death was being investigated as a homicide and authorities haven't ruled out the possibility of a...
Plowed Into Me,
Student at Stanford
Nov 6, 2023 2:30 AM CST
Driver Purposely Plowed Into Me, Says Muslim Student at Stanford
Police are investigating the incident as a hate crime
- A student was struck by a vehicle on the Stanford University campus Friday afternoon, and police are investigating the hit-and-run incident as a hate crime. Abdulwahab Omira says as he walked on the northern California campus around 2pm, someone who has displayed animosity toward Omira's community in the past...
California Is Releasing
Millions of Fruit Flies
in case you missed it
Nov 5, 2023 7:02 AM CST
California Is Releasing Millions of Fruit Flies
State is fighting Medfly infestation by dropping sterile males over LA County
- California is dealing with an invasion of Mediterranean fruit flies—aka Medflies—by saturating the affected area with millions of fruit flies. The California Department of Food and Agriculture says it plans to drop 250,000 sterile male fruit flies per square mile over a 9-square-mile area of Los Angeles...
Bad News for Former Trump
Lawyer John Eastman
Nov 3, 2023 6:27 AM CDT
Bad News for Former Trump Lawyer John Eastman
Calif. judge finds the alleged author of the Jan. 6 memo preliminarily culpable of misconduct
- Multiple defendants have already made guilty pleas regarding the Georgia case that alleges former President Trump tried to overturn the 2020 election. There are quite a few stragglers who haven't yet been offered plea deals, including ex-Trump attorney John Eastman, who now finds himself getting some not-great news in...
on 63 Counts
Nov 2, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
California 'Party Mom' Is Indicted on 63 Counts
Shannon O'Connor allegedly supplied booze at parties and encouraged kids as young as 13 to have sex
- A so-called "party mom" who allegedly organized alcohol-fueled parties for young teens during which she encouraged them to have sex was indicted by a grand jury Monday on 20 felony and 43 misdemeanor counts. Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Rebekah Wise said prosecutors decided to present the case...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.