Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest Facebook news today on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 25, 2023 7:05 PM CST
Meta Decides to Welcome Trump Back
Facebook, Instagram suspensions to be dropped 'in coming weeks'
- Two years after former President Donald Trump was suspended from Facebook and Instagram over his posts supporting the insurgents who attacked the Capitol, Meta has decided to welcome him back. The announcement was made in a blog post by Nick Clegg, the company's president of global affairs, the BBC...
Soars on Musk's Twitter
Jan 19, 2023 1:29 PM CST
Climate Misinformation Soars on Musk's Twitter
Tweets containing terms linked to climate change denial rose 300% last year
- Search for the word "climate" on Twitter and the first automatic recommendation isn't "climate crisis" or "climate jobs" or even "climate change" but instead "climate scam." Clicking on the recommendation yields dozens of posts denying the reality of climate change and making misleading...
Clause Doesn't Safeguard
Meta From $414M Fine
Jan 4, 2023 12:46 PM CST
Clause Doesn't Safeguard Meta From $414M Fine
Regulators ban company from forcing users to agree to personalized ads
- European Union regulators on Wednesday hit Facebook parent Meta with hundreds of millions in fines for privacy violations and banned the company from forcing users in the 27-nation bloc to agree to personalized ads based on their online activity. Ireland's Data Protection Commission imposed two fines totaling 390 million...
Meta Agrees to Compensate
Every US Facebook User
Dec 23, 2022 11:57 AM CST
Meta Agrees to Compensate Every US Facebook User
But they might get only $2 over Cambridge Analytica data harvesting
- American users of Facebook could be in for a small payout as Meta has agreed to pay $725 million to settle a class action lawsuit linked to the Cambridge Analytica data harvesting scandal. It's the "largest recovery ever achieved in a data privacy class action and the most...
Twitter (Briefly) Disallows
Promotion of Rivals
Dec 18, 2022 5:15 PM CST
Twitter (Briefly) Disallows Promotion of Rivals
New policy is deleted, replaced with a poll asking users their opinion on it
- Once again, a new Twitter policy has been swiftly rescinded. On Sunday, the platform said it would no longer let users promote accounts on rival platforms. But after what CNN describes as an "immense backlash," Twitter removed the blog post and tweet thread announcing the new policy. Instead,...
Meta Sued Over Hate Speech
Posted During Tigray Fighting
Dec 14, 2022 5:20 PM CST
Meta Sued Over Hate Speech Posted During Tigray Fighting
Filing says crises in Africa are a low priority for Facebook
- Two Ethiopians have filed a lawsuit against Facebook's parent company, Meta, over hate speech they say was allowed and even promoted on the social media platform during their country's deadly Tigray conflict. Former Amnesty International human rights researcher Fisseha Tekle is one petitioner in the case filed Wednesday,...
Oversight Board Slams Meta's
Unequal Treatment of VIPs
Dec 6, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Oversight Board Slams Meta's Unequal Treatment of VIPs
'Cross-check grants certain users greater protection than others'
- An oversight board has found that Facebook and Instagram's VIP program creates an unequal environment where celebrities, politicians, and business partners receive preferential treatment. As NPR reports, "in some cases, their posts are exempted from Meta's rules entirely." Meta ordered a review of its "cross-check"...
Big Shift on
Nov 16, 2022 9:05 AM CST
Trump Run Leads to Big Shift on Facebook
Meta memo says 'long-standing policy' on politicians mandates Trump won't be fact-checked
- Yes, former President Trump is running for the Oval Office again. And no, Facebook won't be fact-checking what he says during that campaign, and perhaps afterward, if he gets into office. CNN got its hands on a memo issued Tuesday by Meta's "news integrity partnership" team to...
'I Got This Wrong': Meta to
Move Forward With Mass Cuts
Nov 9, 2022 6:45 AM CST
'I Got This Wrong': Meta to Move Forward With Mass Cuts
Mark Zuckerberg announces workforce will shrink by 13%
- Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Wednesday confirmed that the first mass layoffs in the company's history are happening, with 11,000 "talented employees"—or 13% of the workforce—to be cut. Meta's hiring freeze will also persist through Q1. The
Wall Street Journal
confirms it marks...
For First Time,
Nov 7, 2022 6:23 AM CST
For First Time, Zuckerberg Readies Mass Layoffs
Meta, parent of Facebook, will reportedly lay off thousands of people this week
- Twitter employees aren't the only tech staffers facing a bleak November : Facebook parent company Meta is expected to announce its biggest wave of layoffs since Mark Zuckerberg founded it in 2004, reports the
New York Times
. The numbers are unclear, but
Wall Street Journal
predicts "many thousands" of...
Meta Stock Plunges
After a Dismal
Oct 27, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Meta Stock Plunges After a Dismal Earnings Report
Analysts are concerned about the future of Facebook's parent company
- Meta's third-quarter earnings call Wednesday did not have great news for investors: For the second consecutive quarter, revenue declined, and it's forecasted to do so again next quarter. Meanwhile, costs and expenses rose 19% year over year. Shares plummeted in extended trading after the call, continuing what CNBC...
Keep Paying for
Oct 3, 2022 2:48 AM CDT
Meta Will Keep Paying for Sheryl Sandberg's Personal Security
Board approves payment through June 30, 2023
- Sheryl Sandberg's last day as a Meta employee was Friday, though she remains on the board of Facebook's parent company. However, due to what the Meta board terms "continuing threats to her safety," the board announced Friday it had approved the continued provision of personal security...
Meta Exec Nick Clegg Says
Decision on Trump Is Up to Him
Sep 24, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Meta Exec Nick Clegg Says Decision on Trump Is Up to Him
UK's former deputy PM says decision on Facebook reinstatement will be made in January
- Before Britain's May 2015 election, Nick Clegg was leader of the Liberal Democrats party and the country's deputy prime minister. Now, he's in charge of deciding whether another former political leader will be allowed back on Facebook. Clegg, president of global affairs at Meta, parent company of...
Have Had a
Rough Year. None
Sep 20, 2022 7:29 AM CDT
Tech Tycoons Have Had a Rough Year. None Like Zuckerberg
Meta CEO has hemorrhaged $71B since Jan. 1—more than half his wealth
- Don't worry, Mark Zuckerberg is still a billionaire—but he's lost many, many of those billions over the past several months. In what Bloomberg describes as a rough year for most tech billionaires, it's been an especially bumpy one for the Meta CEO: He's lost $71...
Cambridge Analytica Deal
Averts Zuckerberg Deposition
Aug 27, 2022 2:25 PM CDT
Cambridge Analytica Deal Averts Zuckerberg Deposition
Facebook reaches tentative agreement on privacy lawsuit
- Facebook has agreed to settle a lawsuit over enabling Cambridge Analytica to access the private data of millions of users, a deal that will let Mark Zuckerberg avoid answering up to six hours' worth of questions for a deposition. A court filing entered late Friday asks for 60 days for...
Caution Led to
on Hunter Biden
Aug 26, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Zuckerberg: FBI Caution Led to Limiting Story on Hunter Biden
Facebook founder defends process in interview with Joe Rogan
- When the
New York Post
published a story saying then-Vice President Joe Biden was involved in his son Hunter's business machinations in Ukraine, shortly before the 2020 presidential election, Facebook restricted sharing of the article. Twitter did, too. Facebook's founder says the decision was made after warnings about...
GOP Tweet Saying
to Shoot US Agents
Brings Twitter Ban
Aug 20, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
GOP Tweet Saying to Shoot US Agents Brings Twitter Ban
Republican in Florida statehouse race suggests threat was taken out of context, though he stands by it
- US officials, including the FBI director, have decried an increase in threats to federal agents. There have been attempts to carry out such threats , as well. Another one was posted Thursday on Twitter, saying: "Under my plan, all Floridians will be able to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF, and all...
Critics Fault Facebook Move
on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Aug 19, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Critics Fault Facebook Move on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Children's Health Defense anti-vax nonprofit also booted off Instagram
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has already been personally kicked off of Instagram. Now the social media platform—along with Facebook, also owned by Meta—has booted Kennedy's nonprofit, too, for repeatedly breaching rules on spreading misinformation about COVID-19, vaccines, and other pandemic health measures. The two platforms this week...
Tommy Lee's IG Posts Have
Everyone Doing a Double Take
Aug 12, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Tommy Lee's IG Posts Have Everyone Doing a Double Take
Motley Crue drummer's full-frontal pic fires up debate over why it was able to stay on platform for so long
- If you missed Tommy Lee's full-frontal display on social media earlier this week, no worries—he's now sharing a painting of the photo instead. Meanwhile, some are wondering why Lee's original nude pic was able to stay up online for as long as it did in the...
Meta Wants to
'Correct Record' in
Aug 11, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Meta Wants to 'Correct Record' in Abortion Case
Company says warrant for Facebook messages didn't mention abortion
- There was an angry backlash against Facebook this week after it emerged that it had turned over private messages that led to a felony abortion-related charge against a Nebraska mother—but its parent company says reporting on the case was "plain wrong." In a statement, Meta said it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, a Hefty Fine
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
CEO Sorry for 'All Time Classic Bad' Layoff Memo
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.