Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake,
Now a Tsunami Warning
Dec 2, 2023 11:30 AM CST
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
- A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.6 struck Saturday night off the coast of the southern Philippine island of Mindanao, and Philippine authorities issued a tsunami warning. The quake struck at 10:37pm local time at a depth of 20 miles, according to the US Geological Survey....
We Might Still Feel
Nov 23, 2023 12:50 PM CST
We Might Still Feel Aftershocks From 1800s Quakes
So finds a new study that looked at three historical North American quakes
- If you live around the Missouri-Kentucky border and have experienced an earthquake, there's a roughly 30% chance it was an aftershock from a trio of quakes that struck the area between 1811 and 1812, or so says a new study. The
reports on the research into the lifespan...
Big Quake Hits,
Crumbling Mall Ceilings
Nov 17, 2023 8:58 AM CST
Big Quake Hits, Crumbling Mall Ceilings
Magnitude 6.7 temblor caused ceilings to plunge to the ground at 2 shopping centers in Philippines
- A powerful undersea earthquake shook the southern Philippines on Friday, causing ceilings in shopping malls to plunge to the ground as shoppers screamed. There were no immediate reports of injuries, and no tsunami warning was in effect. The magnitude 6.7 quake was located 16 miles from Burias at the...
Iceland's 'Intense Wave'
of Quakes Could Mean
Nov 11, 2023 7:45 AM CST
Iceland's 'Intense Wave' of Quakes Could Mean Something More
Island nation declares state of emergency, shutters Blue Lagoon, warning of possible volcanic eruption
- Officials have declared a state of emergency in Iceland and are scrambling to evacuate a southwestern coastal town after what CNN describes as an "intense wave of earthquakes"—and they fear it all portends yet another hit from Mother Nature. According to the Icelandic Meteorological Office, there were...
Quake One of
Strongest to Hit
Texas Since 1900
Nov 8, 2023 3:16 PM CST
Quake One of Strongest to Hit Texas Since 1900
It had a magnitude of 5.2
- "You probably were just rudely awakened by an earthquake," tweeted the National Weather Service El Paso in the wee hours of the morning. The temblor that hit western Texas at 4:27am local time had a magnitude of 5.2; Fox Weather reports only three stronger earthquakes have...
'I Tried to Run, but the
Whole House Collapsed'
Nov 4, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
'I Tried to Run, but the Whole House Collapsed'
Powerful quake in northwest Nepal kills more than 150
- Survivors of a strong earthquake that shook Nepal's northwest in the middle of the night described sudden shaking, followed by houses collapsing and burying entire families, as the death toll rose to 157 on Saturday. Most of those killed were crushed by debris when their houses—usually made by...
'100% of Homes Have
Been Completely Destroyed'
Oct 9, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
'100% of Homes Have Been Completely Destroyed'
Taliban says earthquakes have killed nearly 3K in western Afghanistan
- A series of earthquakes in Afghanistan on Saturday killed nearly 3,000 people, say Taliban officials, with the
reporting that subsequent quakes as strong as 5.9 magnitude hit the area on Monday. "Vans filled with dead bodies are arriving here each minute," said a medic at...
Two Earthquakes Kill
Scores in Afghanistan
Oct 7, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
Two Earthquakes Kill Scores in Afghanistan
WHO, local organizations try to reach the injured
- Two 6.3 magnitude earthquakes killed dozens of people in western Afghanistan on Saturday, the country's national disaster authority said. The United Nations gave a preliminary figure of 320 dead but later said the figure was still being verified, the AP reports. Local authorities gave an estimate of 100...
Seismic Activity Near
Naples Is Intensifying
Oct 4, 2023 12:40 PM CDT
Seismic Activity Near Naples Is Intensifying
Phlegraean Fields region recently had its strongest quake in 40 years
- A rise in seismic activity west of Naples has sparked fears that the government will order a mass evacuation of the area for the first time in decades. A 4.0-magnitude earthquake in the area Tuesday came less than a week after a 4.2 quake that the National Institute...
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead
to Happy Ending in Morocco
Sep 15, 2023 12:12 PM CDT
'Faint Yelps' From Rubble Lead to Happy Ending in Morocco
CBS engineer to adopt one of 2 dogs found alive in debris this week
- The loss of life in Morocco following last week's 6.8 magnitude earthquake is hard to grasp. Luckily, signs of life have emerged from the rubble as well. The UK's Kent Fire and Rescue Service reported Wednesday that members had rescued a dog trapped among debris in the...
What You Need to
Know About Morocco's
Sep 11, 2023 2:26 AM CDT
What You Need to Know About Morocco's Devastating Earthquake
Death toll is at 2.1K
- After a magnitude-6.8 earthquake brought destruction and devastation to Morocco, where death and injury counts continue to rise as rescue crews dig out the alive and dead from the rubble, the AP runs down what you need to know:
Who was affected?
Of the 2,122 deaths reported as
Earthquake Death Toll Tops 2K
Sep 9, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Earthquake Death Toll Tops 2K
Crews struggle to reach remote areas of Morocco for victims
- Rescue efforts in Morocco became more frantic on Saturday night, as crews rushed to hard-to-reach mountain villages almost 24 hours after a major earthquake struck . The death toll from the region's strongest earthquake in more than a century surpassed 2,000, the AP reports. The government reported that at...
Powerful Quake Kills
Hundreds in Morocco
Sep 8, 2023 11:25 PM CDT
Powerful Quake Kills Hundreds in Morocco
USGS says 6.8-magnitude quake hit south of Marrakech
- A rare, powerful earthquake struck Morocco late Friday night, killing hundreds of people and damaging buildings from villages in the Atlas Mountains to the historic city of Marrakech. Men, women, and children stayed out in the streets, fearing aftershocks. Morocco's Interior Ministry said early Saturday that at least 296...
In the Middle of
a 5.1 Earthquake
Aug 21, 2023 3:30 AM CDT
In the Middle of California's Rare Tropical Storm, a 5.1 Earthquake
Meanwhile, Tropical Storm Hilary was drenching the southern part of the state
- Tropical Storm Hilary drenched Southern California from the coast to inland mountains and deserts Sunday evening, prompting rescues from swollen rivers and forcing some of the nation's largest school districts to cancel Monday classes. Millions braced for more flooding and mudslides, even as the storm began to weaken, the...
Natural Disasters Hit
These States Most
Aug 19, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
Natural Disasters Hit These States Most
But it's good to be in New England
- If it seems like all you're doing lately is reading about wildfires, floods, droughts, tornadoes, mudslides, earthquakes, and on and on and on, well, you're not alone. While it might seem like natural disasters are inescapable, the folks over at WalletHub crunched some data—going back to 1980—...
Taylor Swift's Concerts
Have Literally Gone Seismic
Jul 28, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Taylor Swift's Concerts Have Literally Gone Seismic
Activity from Seattle concerts had 2.3 magnitude, beating out 2011 'Beast Quake' at Seahawks game
- When commentators say Taylor Swift's concerts are "seismic," they're not simply using a colorful descriptor—they're detailing what appears to be an actual physical manifestation of Swifties' rabid fandom. As part of her Eras Tour, the 33-year-old performer took to the stage at Seattle's...
Scientists Mapping Hidden
Mountains Taller than Everest
Jun 25, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Scientists Mapping Hidden Mountains Taller than Everest
These huge peaks are located inside the Earth, but much about them is unknown
- At more than 29,000 feet, Mt. Everest is popularly known as the tallest mountain on Earth. What many may not know, however, is that there are mountain ranges
the earth that have peaks as much as four times higher than Everest. In a BBC report , the British public...
Theory Explains Why
San Andreas Fault
Is Quiet Near LA
Jun 10, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Theory Explains Why San Andreas Fault Is Quiet Near LA
The disappearance of an ancient lake plays a role in seismic silence, researchers say
- Researchers may have discovered why California is overdue for a major earthquake along the southern section of the San Andreas fault. It's been 300 years since a quake of a magnitude of 7 or greater erupted from this section of fault stretching east of Los Angeles from the Salton...
6.5 Quake Shakes
Mar 22, 2023 12:33 AM CDT
6.5 Quake Shakes Pakistan, Afghanistan
At least 11 died, including girl killed in stampede
This story has been updated with the latest death toll
. A magnitude 6.5 earthquake rattled much of Pakistan and Afghanistan on Tuesday, sending panicked residents fleeing from homes and offices and frightening people even in remote villages. At least nine people died in Pakistan and two in Afghanistan, officials...
Earthquake Kills at Least 15,
Mar 18, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Earthquake Kills at Least 15, Traps Survivors
Downed power lines in Ecuador complicate rescue crews' searches
This story has been updated with the most recent death toll.
A strong earthquake shook southern Ecuador and northern Peru on Saturday, killing at least 15 people and injuring more than 445, trapping others under rubble, and sending rescue teams out into streets littered with debris and fallen power lines....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.