Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Have a Story to Tell
Sep 6, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
1.9K-Year-Old Roman Swords Have a Story to Tell
Remarkably well-preserved weapons are discovered in an Israeli cave
- Four Roman-era swords, their wooden and leather hilts and scabbards and steel blades exquisitely preserved after 1,900 years in a desert cave, surfaced in a recent excavation by Israeli archaeologists near the Dead Sea, the Israel Antiquities Authority said Wednesday. The cache of exceptionally intact artifacts was found about...
Guy Was Coming 'Full Sprint'
With a Sword. Cop Shot Him
May 17, 2023 1:28 PM CDT
Guy Was Coming 'Full Sprint' With a Sword. Cop Shot Him
23-year-old suspect is in the hospital
- A man shot by police in Massachusetts last weekend was holding a sword over his head and running at an officer at a “full sprint,” police tell the AP . The 23-year-old man, whom NBC Boston identifies as Shawn O'Connell, faces attempted murder and other charges in connection...
Off the Coast of Israel,
a Rare Archaeological Find
Oct 19, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Off the Coast of Israel, a Rare Archaeological Find
900-year old sword that likely belonged to knight from the Crusades discovered by diver
- Imagine arriving in the Holy Land nearly 1,000 years ago, fired up to yank back the territory from Islamic rule in the name of the pope, and then ... dropping your sword in the sea. That seems to have been the embarrassing scenario for one knight, whose long-lost sword has...
Cops Nab Suspect in
Nov 1, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Cops Nab Suspect in Japanese-Sword Killing
Carl Girouard, 24, faces first-degree murder charges
- A man dressed in medieval clothing and armed with a Japanese sword was arrested Sunday on suspicion of killing two people and wounding five others on Halloween near the historic Château Frontenac hotel in Quebec City, the AP reports. The attack on randomly chosen victims went on for nearly...
Guy in Medieval Dress
Kills 2 With Sword
Nov 1, 2020 9:00 AM CST
Guy in Medieval Dress Kills 2 With Sword
5 injured in Quebec attack on Halloween
- A guy armed with a sword and dressed in medieval clothing killed two people and wounded five others in Quebec city on Saturday night in a Halloween night attack that police said had no indication that "the suspect may have acted for motives other than personal ones." A...
Hidden in Plain View,
an Ancient Sword
Mar 26, 2020 8:23 AM CDT
Hidden in Plain View, an Ancient Sword
5K-year-old blade was initially labeled as medieval sword on display at monastery
- A PhD student had a hunch that a monastery's sword, labeled as medieval, was actually much, much older. After two years of study, "it all came full circle," Italian archaeologist Vittoria Dall'Armellina, who's now completed her schooling at Venice's Ca' Foscari University, tells CNN...
Cops Describe Seizure as
Meets John Wick'
Mar 6, 2020 7:20 AM CST
Cops Describe Seizure as
Meets John Wick'
This was no regular traffic stop in Michigan
- The Bath Township Police Department in Michigan has a "wildly popular" Facebook page , per MLive.com , and the department's latest confiscation shows just why that may be. On Jan. 27, during an early-morning traffic stop, cops there found a "very odd combination" of drugs (methamphetamine, specifically) and...
Man Asks Court
to Let Him Settle
Jan 15, 2020 4:07 AM CST
Man Asks Court to Let Him Settle Divorce Dispute With Swords
He wants to meet ex-wife 'on field of battle'
- A divorced Kansas man who wants to talk to his children more often probably hasn't helped his cause by asking a court to let him kill his ex-wife and her attorney with a sword. According to court records seen by the
Carroll Times Herald
, 40-year-old David Ostrom asked a...
A Late President,
a Sword, and a Mystery
Nov 7, 2019 8:28 AM CST
A Late President, a Sword, and a Mystery
Cops says weapon used by William Henry Harrison was recovered; historian says no
- A sword believed to have seen action in the American Revolution, been wielded by eventual President William Henry Harrison in the War of 1812, and gone missing from a Cincinnati museum is now said to be recovered after 40 years, though one historian refutes the claim. Fox News reports on...
Woman Dead After
Attack at Finland College
Oct 1, 2019 1:36 PM CDT
Woman Dead After Attack at Finland College
Suspect is said to be a student at Savo Vocational College
- Police say a student at the Savo Vocational College in Finland showed up at the school Tuesday with a sword and firearm and went on a rampage that left one woman dead and nine others injured. The unnamed suspect, who is in custody, is described as a Finnish national born...
Girl Finds Ancient
Sword in Lake, Is Now
Sweden's 'True Queen'
Oct 5, 2018 4:41 AM CDT
Girl Finds Ancient Sword in Lake, Is Now Sweden's 'True Queen'
Saga Vanecek, 8, dug up the 1,500-year-old Iron Age weapon in Lake Vidostern
- What a museum worker calls an "amazing story" has emerged out of the south of Sweden, where a 1,500-year-old sword from the Iron Age was found in a lake—not by archaeologists or maritime researchers, but by an 8-year-old from Minneapolis. NPR reports on Saga Vanecek's discovery...
Storm Indonesia Police HQ
May 16, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Sword-Wielding Men Storm Indonesia Police HQ
Officers shot, killed 4 after latest militant attack
- Indonesian police have shot dead four sword-wielding men who attacked a police headquarters in Sumatra, killing one officer in the latest in a spate of militant attacks across the Muslim-majority country. National police spokesman Setyo Wasisto says the men attacked officers Wednesday after driving a minivan into Riau province's...
Poop Out of Me'
Mar 15, 2018 8:31 AM CDT
Man: Girlfriend's Samurai Attack 'Scared Living Poop Out of Me'
Alex Lovell was attacked on March 3
- Alex Lovell says he spent 12 to 13 hours a day playing a computer game in which players fight to the death. But when his girlfriend allegedly came at him with a real sword, "it scared the living poop out of me." Emily Javier, 30, is charged with...
High Priestess of Tokyo Shrine
Killed With Samurai Sword
Dec 8, 2017 2:13 AM CST
High Priestess of Tokyo Shrine Killed With Samurai Sword
Police say her brother also killed accomplice before taking own life
- The former high priest of a famous Tokyo shrine killed his older sister, an accomplice, and finally himself with a samurai sword Thursday in what police believe was a feud over succession. Police say 58-year-old Nagako Tomioka, the high priestess of the Tomioka Hachimangu shrine, was killed by her brother,...
Hunters Find Ancient Sword
Still Ready for Action
Sep 14, 2017 1:36 PM CDT
Hunters Find Ancient Sword Still Ready for Action
Viking artifact, found on mountain, is just a little rusty
- A Norwegian archaeologist says a well-preserved, if rusty, iron sword dating to the Viking era has been found in southern Norway. Lars Holger Piloe says the nearly 3-foot-long sword was found slid down between rocks with the blade sticking out, and may have been left by a person who got...
Girl Pulls Sword
Fabled Resting Place
Sep 5, 2017 6:32 PM CDT
Girl Pulls Sword From Excalibur's Fabled Resting Place
Her dad says it's 'probably an old film prop'
- Legend has it that King Arthur ordered a faithful servant to throw his sword , Excalibur, into a lake after he was mortally wounded in battle. A British 7-year-old has just pulled a sword from that very spot. While on holiday in Cornwall on Aug. 29, Matilda Jones asked her dad...
Starting Friday, Texans Can
Carry Their Swords in the Open
Aug 31, 2017 10:55 AM CDT
Starting Friday, Texans Can Carry Their Swords in the Open
But not everywhere, per new 'location-restricted' law on long blades
- A new open-carry law goes into effect in Texas on Friday—but it has nothing to do with firearms. The
San Angelo Standard-Times
reports on the throwing knives, spears, daggers, swords, and other blades longer than 5.5 inches that will now be permitted in many places, thanks to a...
2nd Man Arrested
in Sword Attack at
Aug 27, 2017 6:30 AM CDT
2nd Man Arrested in Sword Attack at Buckingham Palace
30-year-old detained in London on suspicion of involvement in terrorism
- Police detectives on Sunday arrested a second man in London in connection with what they called a terrorist incident near Buckingham Palace , when a man drove up to a police van then reached for a 4-foot sword. Three police officers were slightly injured Friday night as they confronted a 26-year-old...
Sword Found in Bog
in case you missed it
Jun 25, 2017 7:33 AM CDT
Medieval Knight's Sword Found in Bog
If engraving can be found, it might identify the knight
- The medieval sword, at just over three pounds, wouldn't have weighed down its owner. But the bog where it was found might have. That's what researchers are saying after a remarkably well-preserved sword from the 14th century was found in a bog in Poland. A worker was using...
Oct 22, 2015 2:43 PM CDT
Hiker Finds 1.2K-Year-Old Viking Sword
And it's in surprisingly good condition
- Goran Olsen was enjoying a leisurely hike recently in Norway when he stopped near the fishing village of Haukeli, about 150 miles west of Oslo. Under some rocks along a well-traversed path, he made a discovery that's now the envy of every detectorist in Scandinavia: a 30-inch wrought-iron Viking...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.