Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
New York attorney general
Stories 1 - 20 |
State Sues PepsiCo Over
Plastic Pollution Along River
Nov 15, 2023 5:55 PM CST
State Sues PepsiCo Over Plastic Pollution Along River
New York survey found more trash from company than from any other
- A half-century of work and investment has brought back the ecosystem of the Buffalo River, a waterway once so fouled that it burst into flames. New York's attorney general says that the river needs to be cleaned up again and that PepsiCo should do it, the
Albany Times Union
New York, California
May 4, 2023 7:30 PM CDT
New York, California Investigate NFL
Attorneys general have issued subpoenas in probe of possible bias, harassment, gender pay gaps
- The attorneys general of California and New York have begun a joint investigation of the NFL's hiring and workplace practices, looking into allegations by former employees of possible discrimination and harassment. The officials said they've already issued subpoenas, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Saying that "no institution...
Trump Forms New Company,
Bringing Action From New York
Oct 13, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
Trump Forms New Company, Bringing Action From New York
James raises possibility Trump Organization II was started to avoid punishment from fraud suit
- Donald Trump's business operation was hit with a new accusation Thursday when New York's attorney general told a court that the former president might be trying to dodge any punishment resulting from her fraud lawsuit—partly by starting a new company. Letitia James' office wrote in the filing...
President Is Being
Aug 10, 2022 6:21 AM CDT
A Former President Is Being Deposed Today
Former president complains he's 'being attacked from all sides' ahead of NY deposition
- Former President Trump will sit for a deposition —one he has fought for months—on Wednesday as part of the final stage of the New York investigation into the Trump Organization's business practices. For the past three years, New York attorney general Letitia James' lawyers have been investigating...
New York AG Wants Trump
Held in Contempt
Apr 7, 2022 1:41 PM CDT
New York AG Wants Trump Held in Contempt
Attorney General Letitia James says he should be fined $10K a day for failure to turn over records
- New York's attorney general is calling for former President Trump to be fined $10,000 a day until he hands over requested documents. Letitia James asked a state court Thursday to hold Trump in contempt, accusing him of failure to comply with a court order to submit documents related...
Dec 20, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Trump Just Sued New York's Attorney General
He says Letitia James' investigation of him is politically biased
Donald Trump is suing the attorney general of New York over her investigation of his business empire, reports the
New York Times
. The former president says the inquiry by Letitia James violates his constitutional rights because it's politically motivated. "Her mission is guided solely by political animus...
Like New Turn in
May 19, 2021 4:29 PM CDT
Trump Doesn't Like New Turn in Investigation
New York state case has become criminal
- On Tuesday, New York prosecutors announced they're working on a criminal investigation of the Trump Organization, after starting out with a civil case. On Wednesday, former President Trump made his feelings about that development clear. "There is nothing more corrupt than an investigation that is in desperate search...
Oct 5, 2020 7:30 PM CDT
Eric Trump Gives Deposition
President's son had tried to postpone until after the election
- After trying to delay his appearance until after the presidential election, Eric Trump gave a deposition Monday in a civil investigation into the Trump Organization. The interview was conducted on video, but the president's son was under oath. Neither side would discuss what was said. New York Attorney General...
Weinstein Victims at Odds
Over $18.8M Settlement
Jul 1, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
Weinstein Victims at Odds Over $18.8M Settlement
Lawyer for one group says agreement is 'a complete sellout'
- Nine women who accused the Weinstein Company of a hostile work environment, in which they were forced to facilitate Harvey Weinstein's sexual conquests , have reached a settlement of $18.8 million. A victims' compensation fund is to be distributed among "women who experienced a hostile work environment, sexual...
A $6M Mansion for the
NRA's CEO Was ... Whose Idea?
Aug 7, 2019 7:17 AM CDT
A $6M Mansion for the NRA's CEO Was ... Whose Idea?
The NRA and its former ad agency tell conflicting stories
- That NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre scoped out a $6 million Dallas mansion as a possible new residence isn't being contested. What is: Whose idea it was and where the money was going to come from. The
Wall Street Journal
are out with stories about the potential...
Trump Calls Investigation
of NRA Finances Illegal
Apr 29, 2019 7:16 PM CDT
Trump Calls Investigation of NRA Finances Illegal
New York looks into tax-exempt status
- The National Rifle Association is "under siege," President Trump said Monday in response to New York state's decision to investigate the organization's status as a tax-exempt nonprofit, the AP reports. The Republican president accused state Attorney General Letitia James and her fellow Democrat, Gov. Andrew Cuomo,...
Amid NRA's Rift,
Apr 28, 2019 7:06 AM CDT
Amid NRA's Rift, NY Announces Investigation
AG Letitia James says her office is investigating organization's finances
- New York state's attorney general has begun an investigation into the finances of the National Rifle Association, reports the AP . "The Office of New York State Attorney General Letitia James has launched an investigation related to the National Rifle Association (NRA)," her rep said Saturday. "As...
Trump Foundation Woes:
That $10K Portrait Didn't Help
Dec 18, 2018 2:34 PM CST
Trump Foundation Woes: That $10K Portrait Didn't Help
Charity is shutting down, but New York state lawsuit continues
- President Trump's controversial charitable foundation is shutting down. New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood said Tuesday that the Donald J. Trump Foundation has agreed to dissolve itself under the oversight of the courts and her office, reports ABC News . Earlier this year, Underwood sued the foundation , alleging that the...
Rex Tillerson Used Email Alias
'Wayne Tracker' at Exxon
Mar 14, 2017 12:06 PM CDT
Rex Tillerson Used Email Alias 'Wayne Tracker' at Exxon
At least in missives about climate change, says New York attorney general
- An investigation into whether Exxon Mobil misled investors regarding its knowledge of climate change has revealed that former CEO and current Secretary of State Rex Tillerson used an alias email address to discuss the subject, says New York's attorney general. In a letter to a New York judge on...
Aug 25, 2013 11:13 AM CDT
Trump U Sued for Fraud, $40M
NY AG claims Donald's school failed to deliver on overpriced education
- Trump University just took a hit from the School of Hard Knocks: New York's attorney general yesterday sued the Donald and his eponymous school for a hefty $40 million for defrauding students. "Trading on his celebrity status, Mr. Trump personally appeared in advertisements making false promises to convince...
In Face of Gas Woes,
Great News at the Pump
Nov 5, 2012 1:39 PM CST
In Face of Gas Woes, Great News at the Pump
Gas prices falling everywhere else, but crisis persists in worst-hit areas
- More steps in the effort to ease the post-Hurricane Sandy fuel crisis: UPI reports that the EPA lifted clean diesel regulations in the New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and NYC area, allowing vehicles to use heating oil for emergency response purposes, while the Energy Department said it was working with the Pentagon...
Oct 12, 2012 10:34 AM CDT
Wyclef Jean's Charity Quietly Goes Bust
When last remaining employee quits
- Wyclef Jean's ineffective and scandal-plagued charity Yéle quietly went belly up last month, after CEO Derek Johnson announced his resignation. "As the foundation's sole remaining employee, my decision implies the closure of the organization as a whole," he wrote. In its wake, the charity leaves...
Oct 2, 2012 6:26 AM CDT
Feds Sue JPMorgan for Mortgage Bond Fraud
Suit: Bear Stearns ignored problems
- The mortgage task force of the Justice Department, including New York's attorney general, has launched its first lawsuit—against JPMorgan, charging wide-scale misconduct by Bear Stearns in the selling of mortgage securities. The complaint accuses Bear Stearns, bought by JPMorgan Chase in 2008, of defrauding investors who purchased mortgage...
Ernst & Young Hit With
Civil Fraud Suit
Dec 21, 2010 11:01 AM CST
Ernst & Young Hit With Civil Fraud Suit
Andrew Cuomo cites 'massive accounting fraud' in Lehman Bros. dealings
- Andrew Cuomo filed a civil fraud lawsuit against Ernst & Young today, following reports that the company allegedly helped Lehman Brothers mislead investors . According to the complaint, the accounting firm approved Lehman’s use of “Repo 105” transactions, a type of debt that was labeled as sales to reduce...
Cuomo Files $26M Suit
Against Steve Rattner
Nov 18, 2010 12:00 PM CST
Cuomo Files $26M Suit Against Steve Rattner
Ex-auto czar vows to fight it
- Talk about timing. On the same day that Steve Rattner got to trumpet GM’s new IPO , Andrew Cuomo filed a trio of lawsuits against the ex-auto czar related to a pay-to-play scandal involving New York’s pension fund. Cuomo’s asking for $26 million in damages, and a lifetime...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.