Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Young Would-Be Voters
Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
Sep 21, 2023 9:19 AM CDT
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
Pop star credited with boosting voter registrations through an Instagram post
- After boosting the economy , Taylor Swift thought she might as well boost voter registration, too. Vote.org has credited the singer with helping to register more than 35,000 new voters Tuesday on National Voter Registration Day. "I've been so lucky to see so many of you guys...
Activists Behind 'Despicable'
Robocalls Hear Their Fate
Dec 2, 2022 11:23 AM CST
Activists Behind 'Despicable' Robocalls Hear Their Fate
Jack Burkman, Jacob Wohl tried to suppress Black votes in 2020
- After a 2020 robocalling scheme that tried to dissuade tens of thousands of voters in multiple Midwestern states from casting their ballots by mail in that year's election, Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl were hit with a $5 million fine from the Federal Communications Commission; in October, the far-right...
to Vote in Three
Apr 22, 2022 4:39 PM CDT
Mark Meadows Was Registered to Vote in Three States
'Washington Post' adds South Carolina to list of Virginia and North Carolina
- Former Trump chief of staff Mark Meadows has made headlines in recent weeks after it was revealed he was registered to vote in two different states , Virginia and North Carolina. Glenn Kessler of the
's Fact Checker blog looked into all this and concluded the story isn't...
NC County Strikes
From Its Voter List
Apr 13, 2022 4:57 PM CDT
NC County Strikes Mark Meadows From Its Voter List
Records show Trump's former chief of staff was registered to vote in 2 states
- An elections board in a North Carolina county has removed Mark Meadows, former chief of staff to President Trump, from its list of registered voters after documents showed he lived in Virginia and voted in the 2021 election in that state. Questions arose about Meadows last month , when North Carolina...
New Voters Could
Decide Senate Runoffs
Dec 17, 2020 5:40 PM CST
New Voters Could Decide Senate Runoffs
Thousands, mostly young, have registered in time to affect Georgia's January election
- There's a wild card in the Georgia Senate runoffs. The state has signed up almost 76,000 new voters who are eligible to vote Jan. 5 in the election that will pick two winners, deciding which party will control the Senate. No one knows how they might tip the...
Goof in Virginia Leads to New
Voter Registration Deadline
Oct 14, 2020 11:41 AM CDT
Goof in Virginia Leads to New Voter Registration Deadline
A cable was severed Tuesday, taking down the online voter registration system
- A federal judge has extended the deadline for registering to vote in Virginia by 48 hours after the state's online voter registration system went down because of an accidentally severed cable . Wednesday's order by US District Judge John A. Gibney Jr. in Richmond is an effort to make...
On State's Final Day of Voter
Registration, a Big Gaffe
Oct 13, 2020 12:39 PM CDT
On State's Final Day of Voter Registration, a Big Gaffe
Fiber optic cable is accidentally cut, shutting down Virginia's online voter registration
- A severed fiber optic cable shut down Virginia's online voter registration system Tuesday, the last day to register before the November general election, per the AP . The Virginia Department of Elections said in statement that a “fiber cut” was affecting connectivity for multiple agencies, including the citizen portal...
In 3 Key States,
a Narrowing Gap
Oct 2, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
In 3 Key States, a Narrowing Gap
GOP leads voter registrations in Florida, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania
- The Biden campaign is starting door-to-door canvassing just as data shows the Trump campaign leads in securing new voter registrations in closely watched states. There are still more people registered as Democrats than Republicans in Florida, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina—all states the president won by less than five points...
Voter Form Arrives in Time
—for Cody, a Dead Cat
Jul 12, 2020 1:50 PM CDT
Voter Form Arrives in Time —for Cody, a Dead Cat
'How did this happen? It's not reality,' says owner Carol Tims
- An Atlanta family says they received a voter registration form in the mail Wednesday—for their cat, Cody Tims, who died 12 years ago. "A great cat, indoor and outdoor, loved his family, loved his neighborhood. He was 18 and a half when he passed away," Carol Tims...
Michelle Obama Pushes for
Expansion of Mail-in Voting
Apr 13, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Michelle Obama Pushes for Expansion of Mail-in Voting
'No American should have to choose between making their voice heard and staying safe'
- Michelle Obama's voting rights group has joined a new push to expand voting-by-mail options as lockdown measures extend further into election season. The group, When We All Vote, is supporting Democratic legislation that would require states to offer absentee voting to all voters. This is the first time the...
Florida Voters Were Registered
Falsely as Republicans: Charges
Mar 8, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Florida Voters Were Registered Falsely as Republicans: Charges
Woman faces 10 felony counts
- A woman in Florida faces charges after officials said she registered voters as Republicans without their consent. Cheryl Hall was working for Florida First, the
New York Times
reports. The group is bankrolled by an organization that backs President Trump, America First Policies. Hall was charged Thursday with 10 felony...
Why Bloomberg Is Spending
Up to $20M in These 5 States
Nov 21, 2019 12:01 AM CST
Why Bloomberg Is Spending Up to $20M in These 5 States
He's funding a voter registration drive designed to weaken Trump's reelection chances
- As he moves toward a presidential announcement, New York billionaire Michael Bloomberg is rolling out plans to spend an estimated $15 million to $20 million on a voter registration drive designed to weaken President Trump’s reelection chances in five battleground states. News of the large investment, confirmed by Bloomberg’...
Teen Turns Fast-Food
Line Into an Opportunity
Aug 27, 2019 11:06 AM CDT
Teen Turns Fast-Food Line Into an Opportunity
David Ledbetter registered 16 people to vote as they waited at Popeyes
- When Popeyes added a fried chicken sandwich to its menu recently, one North Carolina teen made his way there ... and registered voters. As WCNC reports, David Ledbetter, who at 17 is not yet old enough to vote himself, wanted to get others involved after noticing "a lack of young...
Gillum Thinks He Knows How
to Take Florida From Trump
Mar 21, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Gillum Thinks He Knows How to Take Florida From Trump
And it involves six zeroes
- President Trump narrowly won Florida in 2016 with around 113,000 more votes than Hillary Clinton—and it's a lead former Tallahassee mayor Andrew Gillum wants to obliterate in 2020. The Democrat is launching a massive voter registration drive in the state, CBS reports. "We are going to...
With ... Voter
Mar 19, 2019 12:43 PM CDT
Ariana Grande Opens Tour With ... Voter Registration
Star joins nonpartisan group that works with musicians
- Ariana Grande launched her "Sweetener" world tour on Monday night with a concert that included singalong hits, wardrobe changes—and voter registration. Head Count, a nonpartisan organization that teams with musicians on democracy initiatives, is signing up new voters on the 51-show tour, CBS News reports. The nonprofit has...
Already-Hot Georgia Governor's
Race Just Got Hotter
Nov 4, 2018 9:53 AM CST
Already-Hot Georgia Governor's Race Just Got Hotter
GOP candidate Kemp says his office investigating state Democrats over alleged voter hack
- If you thought the race for Georgia governor had gotten testy enough , welcome to an even testier Sunday: The office of Secretary of State Brian Kemp, the Republican candidate, announced overnight that it is investigating a "failed attempt to hack the state's voter registration system," specifically, "...
'Give Me My
Oct 15, 2018 9:21 AM CDT
'Give Me My Phone Back, Senator'
David Perdue seemed to have not liked a query on voter suppression while visiting Georgia Tech
- As controversy continues to swirl around the Brian Kemp-Stacey Abrams gubernatorial faceoff in Georgia, a senator campaigning for Kemp created one of his own. Kemp, who's currently Georgia's secretary of state, has been accused of trying to purge voter rolls ahead of the November election, and a Georgia...
March for Our Lives Group
Makes Big Announcement
Jun 4, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
March for Our Lives Group Makes Big Announcement
60-day bus tour kicks off June 15 to register young voters and promote gun law reform
- Some of the most high-profile Parkland survivors hinted over the weekend at something big coming down the pike, and that news has just dropped. Axios reports the March for Our Lives activist group, which includes Marjorie Stoneman Douglas students David Hogg, Emma Gonzalez, and Jaclyn Corin, will be conducting a...
a Voting Gaffe
Sep 27, 2017 12:05 PM CDT
Looks Like Kushner Made a Voting Gaffe
2009 voter registration form said he was a woman
- Jared Kushner isn't only facing criticism for his use of a private email address to conduct government business, but also his apparent failure to accurately fill out his voter registration form. As discovered by liberal research group American Bridge, Kushner's 2009 registration with the New York State Board...
Backers Sue Over
May 23, 2016 10:11 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders Backers Sue Over 'Mass Confusion' in California
It all has to do with 'no party preference' voters
- "There's mass confusion," William Simpich tells the
Los Angeles Times
. He's the attorney who on Friday filed a federal lawsuit over California's Democratic presidential primary, and the particulars of the case are a bit confusing as well. When Californians elect California officials, they can vote...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.