Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Inside the Strange History
of Pardoning Turkeys
Nov 20, 2023 9:33 PM CST
Inside the Strange History of Pardoning Turkeys
It started with lobbyists giving presidents dinner, but it spun out to an unusual tradition
- Each year before Thanksgiving, a turkey or two is pardoned by the sitting US president—and while this tradition has become a signal that it's almost time to stuff ourselves with pie, it's also fairly new. NPR breaks down some of the puzzling aspects of the turkey pardon,...
Biden's Birthday Keeps
His Age in the Spotlight
Nov 20, 2023 9:35 AM CST
Biden's Birthday Keeps His Age in the Spotlight
President turns 81 on Monday, with conversation continuing on whether he's too old to run
- It's set to be a busy day at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. on Monday, with a trio of noteworthy events taking place: the annual pre-Thanksgiving pardoning of turkeys, the delivery of the White House's Christmas tree, and the 81st birthday of President Biden, already the oldest president in America'...
A Georgia Worry for Trump:
Aug 14, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
A Georgia Worry for Trump: Pardon-Proof Charges
Former president is expected to be indicted on state charges soon
- It looks like the fourth indictment of Donald Trump could come as soon as Tuesday , this time out of Georgia. There, Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis has been investigating the former president's efforts to overturn his narrow 2020 election loss in the state. A grand jury is on...
Feds Say Fraudster Freed by
Trump Went Back to Old Ways
Jul 20, 2023 9:47 AM CDT
Feds Say Fraudster Freed by Trump Went Back to Old Ways
Eliyahu Weinstein scammed investors with bogus deal, federal prosecutors say
- A criminal freed by a pardon from former President Trump "picked up right where he left off" when he got out of prison in January 2021, federal prosecutors say. Eliyahu Weinstein, who was serving a 24-year-sentence in connection with two Ponzi schemes when Trump freed him, has been charged...
Ex-Aide: Giuliani Bullied Me
Into Sex, Sold $2M Pardons
May 16, 2023 6:41 AM CDT
Ex-Aide: Giuliani Bullied Me Into Sex, Sold $2M Pardons
Former employee sues in New York, seeking $10M
- A former employee of Rudy Giuliani claims he "continually pressured her into sex" as part of a wide-ranging lawsuit, which also details alleged efforts to sell presidential pardons for $2 million. Noelle Dunphy, who served as director of business development for several companies owned by Giuliani beginning in January...
to End 2022
Dec 30, 2022 2:10 PM CST
Here Are Biden's 6 Pardons to End 2022
Mostly for minor drug-, alcohol-related offenses, for people whose sentences have been completed
- President Biden has pardoned six people who've served out sentences after convictions on a murder charge and drug- and alcohol-related crimes, including an 80-year-old woman convicted of killing her abusive husband about a half-century ago and a man who pleaded guilty to using a telephone for a cocaine transaction...
Sep 12, 2022 7:58 AM CDT
GOP Senators Slam Trump's 'Inappropriate' Pardons Remark
Graham, Romney, others blast Jan. 6 comment; Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley thread the needle
- Earlier this month, former President Trump told a conservative radio host that, if he were elected to the Oval Office again, he'd offer "full pardons," along with a public apology to many of those who'd stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6. Turns out a few GOP...
Trump Says He Supports
Riot Defendants Financially
Sep 1, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Trump Says He Supports Riot Defendants Financially
Former president says they might receive pardons if he has another term
- Former President Donald Trump said Thursday that he's supporting some of the Jan. 6 defendants financially, and that he might do more for them if he wins another term as president. "We'll be looking very, very seriously at full pardons" for those convicted in the attack on...
Aug 19, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Columnist Floats Unusual Trump Idea for Biden
Washington Post pundit suggests president should pardon him should he be indicted
- It's very much unclear how the Justice Department investigations into Donald Trump will unfold, but Jason Willick floats one scenario that may cause supporters of both parties to do a double-take. In his
op-ed, Willick writes that President Biden should pardon Trump should the former president be...
Samsung Chief Is Needed
at Work, Will Be Pardoned
Aug 12, 2022 6:44 AM CDT
Samsung Chief Is Needed at Work, Will Be Pardoned
Lee Jae-yong's pardon is partially symbolic since he was released on parole a year ago
- The heir and de-facto leader of Samsung, twice imprisoned for bribing a former president of South Korea, has just received a presidential pardon. Lee Jae-yong's pardon is partially symbolic since he was released on parole a year ago after serving 18 months of a prison term that would have...
His First Pardons
Apr 26, 2022 7:38 AM CDT
Biden Issues His First Pardons
Grants clemency to 3, commutes sentences of 75 more
- President Biden has granted his first three pardons, reports the AP , providing clemency to a Kennedy-era Secret Service agent convicted of bribery and to two people convicted on drug-related charges who went on to become pillars in their communities. Biden also commuted the sentences of 75 others for nonviolent, drug-related...
After Graham Balks at Pardons
for Rioters, a Trump Slam
Feb 2, 2022 11:50 AM CST
After Graham Balks at Pardons for Rioters, a Trump Slam
'He's a RINO,' former president tells Newsmax
- Donald Trump has added another Republican to his list of supposed RINOs : his ally Lindsey Graham. The former president lobbed the insult—that's "Republican in name only"—at the Republican senator from South Carolina on Tuesday after Graham refused to back the idea of presidential pardons for...
At Presidential Turkey
Pardon, the Jokes Flew
Nov 20, 2021 5:30 AM CST
At Presidential Turkey Pardon, the Jokes Flew
'Instead of getting basted, these two turkeys are getting boosted,' Biden said at WH ceremony
- President Biden on Friday pardoned two Thanksgiving turkeys, saying that the white male birds were selected based on their "temperament, appearance, and, I suspect, vaccination status." "Instead of getting basted, these two turkeys are getting boosted today," Biden joked, per the AP . Biden was in a...
Lawyers: Trump Phone Call
Amounts to a Real Pardon
Oct 8, 2021 4:25 PM CDT
Lawyers: Trump Phone Call Amounts to a Real Pardon
Jailed hip-hop manager was promised release by last Christmas
- The fact that the previous president didn't approach the office in a traditional way is not news. The family of a jailed hip-hop manager is now banking that despite an unorthodox manner, clemency they say was granted by Donald Trump will be honored by a federal prison in West...
Judge Dismisses Bannon Case,
Says Pardon Implies Guilt
May 25, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Judge Dismisses Bannon Case, Says Pardon Implies Guilt
He was accused of ripping off donors to 'We Build the Wall' campaign
- Four months after Donald Trump issued a pardon in the final hours of his presidency, the fraud case against his former chief strategist has been dismissed. US District Judge Analisa Torres ruled Tuesday that the Trump pardon of Steve Bannon was valid and dismissing an indictment accusing him of defrauding...
Just Threw Gaetz
Under the Bus
Apr 30, 2021 7:24 AM CDT
Daily Beast: Associate's Letter Just Threw Gaetz Under the Bus
Congressman paid for sex with multiple girls, including a minor, Joel Greenberg confesses in note
- Word on the DOJ investigation into GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz and associate Joel Greenberg over possible violations of federal sex-trafficking laws has been quiet over the past couple of weeks. That changed Thursday with an update from the Daily Beast . It got its hands on three drafts of a confessional...
Sources: Matt Gaetz Wanted
Blanket Pardon From Trump
Apr 7, 2021 5:01 AM CDT
Sources: Matt Gaetz Wanted Blanket Pardon From Trump
It's not clear whether the congressman knew he was under investigation at the time
- As then-President Trump's term wound down, Matt Gaetz, one of Trump's staunchest allies, privately asked for a blanket pre-emptive pardon, two sources tell the
New York Times
. The Florida congressman also allegedly asked the White House for the same thing for some of his allies in Congress, though...
Trump Issued One Last Pardon
Jan 21, 2021 8:12 AM CST
Trump Issued One Last Pardon
Ex-husband of 'Judge Jeanine' received full pardon in final hour of Trump presidency
- President Trump issued a final pardon before his presidency ended—and it wasn't for himself, a family member, or Joe Exotic . In a statement issued less than an hour before President Biden was sworn in, when Trump had already landed in Florida en route to Mar-a-Lago, the White House...
Someone Is Very Upset He
Didn't Get Last-Minute Pardon
Jan 21, 2021 6:34 AM CST
Someone Is Very Upset He Didn't Get Last-Minute Pardon
Joe Exotic tweets: 'I was too innocent and too GAY to deserve a Pardon from Trump'
- Joe Exotic of
fame had "the biggest Dodge truck limo in Texas" waiting for him outside the prison where he is serving a 22-year sentence Tuesday—but the pardon from former President Trump he was hoping for never arrived. The inmate, real name Joseph Maldonado-Passage, slammed Trump...
Here Come the Pardons:
Trump's List Released
Jan 20, 2021 6:45 AM CST
Here Come the Pardons: Trump's List Released
President granted clemency to 143
- Pardon day is here. The White House was expected to announce a slew of pardons and commutations on Tuesday, President Trump's last full day in office, but instead the list came out early Wednesday, hours before his term ends at noon, CNN reports. The most notable name on the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.