Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Louisville Cop Fired
After Video Mocking
Breonna Taylor Killing
Aug 29, 2022 1:59 AM CDT
Louisville Cop Fired After Video Mocking Breonna Taylor Killing
Corrections officer made a mock recruitment video
- A Louisville corrections officer was fired last week after a video surfaced in which he mocked the police killing of Breonna Taylor in the city, officials say. In what appears to be a satire of a recruitment video for the Louisville Metro Police Department, Turhan Knight allegedly says, "Do...
Ex-Cop Pleads Guilty to
Breonna Taylor Coverup
Aug 23, 2022 6:41 PM CDT
Ex-Cop Pleads Guilty to Breonna Taylor Coverup
Kelly Goodlett helped falsify search warrant that led to deadly raid
- A former Louisville police officer has pleaded guilty to helping falsify the affidavit behind the search warrant that led to the death of Breonna Taylor—and to conspiring to cover up the lie. Kelly Hanna Goodlett, 35, pleaded guilty in federal court Tuesday to one count of conspiracy to violate...
Mensa Welcomes Its
Youngest Member Ever
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 2, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
Mensa Welcomes Its Youngest Member Ever
Parents of Kentucky 2-year-old Isla McNabb say she already reads at kindergarten level
- Mensa has a new member, and she's still in diapers. Meet 2-year-old Isla McNabb of the Louisville suburb of Crestwood, Ky., a precocious little girl the IQ society says is now its youngest member ever. Isla's parents say even though she does standard toddler things—plays with toys,...
Louisville Police Seeking
Man Who Punched Mayor
Jun 21, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
Louisville Police Seeking Man Who Punched Mayor
Greg Fischer was assaulted at a public event over the weekend
- Police are searching for a different kind of Louisville slugger after a suspect was captured on video punching the mayor of Kentucky's largest city on Saturday. Greg Fischer was mingling in a crowd at a Juneteenth event at the Fourth Street Live! entertainment complex when a man walked up...
Mar 3, 2022 2:30 PM CST
Ex-Cop in Breonna Taylor Raid Found Not Guilty
Brett Hankison faced three counts for firing into neighboring apartment
A former police officer in Louisville, Kentucky, accused of recklessly firing his gun during the fatal raid on Breonna Taylor's apartment has been found not guilty, reports NBC News . Brett Hankison, 45, was not on trial over Taylor's death but because bullets from his gun entered the...
After Alleged Attacker
Freed, Candidate Says
System Is 'Broken'
Feb 18, 2022 8:30 AM CST
After Alleged Attacker Freed, Candidate Says System Is 'Broken'
Fund co-founded by BLM put up $100K bail after shooting at Craig Greenberg's office
- A Democratic candidate for mayor of Louisville says the fact that the man charged with trying to kill him on Monday was able to walk out of jail on Wednesday shows that "our criminal justice system is clearly broken." Social activist Quintez Brown, 21, was released Wednesday after...
Feb 17, 2022 12:01 AM CST
Suspect in Candidate's Shooting Fought Gentrification
Quintez Brown will be released to home incarceration after bail fund pays his bond
The man suspected of firing at a Louisville mayoral candidate will be released to home incarceration after the Louisville Community Bail Fund paid his $100,000 cash bond Wednesday afternoon. Quintez Brown, 21, faces charges of attempted murder and wanton endangerment in the case. Brown is a social justice...
Campaign Office Visitor
Opens Fire on Candidate
Feb 14, 2022 6:05 PM CST
Campaign Office Visitor Opens Fire on Candidate
Louisville gunman doesn't hit anyone, but a bullet grazed Craig Greenberg's clothes
- A visitor walked into a Louisville mayoral election campaign office Monday, was greeted by the candidate, and opened fire on him. Craig Greenberg wasn't hit, but one of the bullets grazed his clothes, the
reports. The city's police chief said that someone was in custody but that...
Cops Rescue 6-Year-Old
Kidnapped by Stranger
Jul 9, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Cops Rescue 6-Year-Old Kidnapped by Stranger
Girl was snatched off Louisville street
- A 6-year-old girl snatched from a Kentucky street by a stranger was rescued within 30 minutes thanks to police and an alert witness. Two Louisville Metro Police officers located the suspect's vehicle last Friday after a witness who started following the car gave them part of the license plate...
Slave Owner's Descendant
Jun 1, 2021 1:23 PM CDT
Slave Owner's Descendant Pays Reparations
Louisville nonprofit receives 6-figure check
- A Louisville nonprofit that helps marginalized people has received a six-figure reparations check from the descendant of a slave-holder. "It is a blessing for us but also definitely owed," says Taylor Ryan, executive director of Change Today, Change Tomorrow. The donation was so unexpected that the organization first...
DOJ Announces a
2nd Major Policing Probe
Apr 26, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
DOJ Announces a 2nd Major Policing Probe
Feds are investigating policing in Louisville in the wake of Breonna Taylor's death
- The Justice Department is opening a sweeping probe into policing in Louisville, Kentucky, after the March 2020 death of Breonna Taylor, who was shot to death by police during a raid at her home. It's the second such sweeping probe into a law enforcement agency announced by the Biden...
Simon and Schuster Reverses
Course on Breonna Taylor Book
Apr 16, 2021 12:46 AM CDT
Simon and Schuster Reverses Course on Breonna Taylor Book
Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly's book deal is still on, though
- One of the police officers involved in the fatal Breonna Taylor raid has a book deal in which he promises to tell "the inside story" behind the tragedy, though it's now unclear how the book will be distributed.
e Fight for Truth
by Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly, the officer...
Mar 9, 2021 12:10 AM CST
Breonna Taylor's Boyfriend Gets Good News
Judge dismisses the case against Kenneth Walker, permanently
- The case against Breonna Taylor's boyfriend has been dismissed by a judge—permanently. Charges cannot be refiled against Kenneth Walker, who was initially charged with shooting and wounding a Louisville police officer during the incident at Taylor's apartment last year that started with a no-knock warrant and ended...
Cop Fired in
Case Appeals to
Get Job Back
Jan 6, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Cop Fired in Breonna Taylor Case Appeals to Get Job Back
Ex-detective Myles Cosgrove is pleading his case before the Louisville PD's Merit Board
The former cop said to have fired the shot that killed Breonna Taylor was terminated earlier this year by the Louisville Metro Police Department for violating use-of-force protocol and for not using his bodycam. Now, ex-detective Myles Cosgrove is vying to get his job back, lodging an appeal to...
Jan 2, 2021 3:10 PM CST
McConnell Decries 'Radical Tantrum'
Vandals leave messages about stimulus payments
- Spray-painted political messages have been left on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's house in Louisville, evidently demanding larger stimulus checks for Americans. McConnell opposes $2,000 payments and has prevented the Senate from voting on the issue. The graffiti was discovered Saturday morning, Fox News reports. House Speaker Nancy'...
Police Department Makes Move
in Breonna Taylor Shooting
Dec 30, 2020 2:40 AM CST
Police Department Makes Move in Breonna Taylor Shooting
Pre-termination letters sent to 2 Louisville police officers
- Louisville police have taken steps that could result in the firing of two officers connected to Breonna Taylor's death—the one who sought the no-knock search warrant that led detectives to her apartment and another found to have opened fire, the AP reports. Detective Joshua Jaynes, who was not...
Dec 12, 2020 7:30 AM CST
Snow Leopards Started Wheezing, Coughing. Now, Confirmation
At Lousville Zoo in Kentucky, 3 big cats test positive for COVID
- Three snow leopards in a Kentucky zoo have come down with COVID-19, making it the latest type of animal to get sick after coming into close contact with humans. Per a filmed statement from Louisville Zoo Director John Walczak and a written statement from the zoo, zoo staff noticed within...
US Cities That Need the
Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Dec 11, 2020 5:05 PM CST
US Cities That Need the Most Vaccine Doses to Start
Detroit, Cleveland top the list
- With Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine possibly just days away from being shipped, the next order of business will be starting to divvy it up for distribution across the country. WalletHub looked at more than 90 cities across America to figure out which may need the most initial vaccinations. The site...
More Problems for Cop
Indicted in Breonna Taylor Case
Nov 11, 2020 10:35 AM CST
More Problems for Cop Indicted in Breonna Taylor Case
10 women accuse Brett Hankison of sexual misconduct in lawsuit
- The lone police officer charged in the fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor now faces allegations of sexual assault and battery. A lawsuit filed Tuesday describes former Louisville Metro Police Department Detective Brett Hankison as a "sexual predator" who "used his police uniform and secondary nightclub employment as mechanisms...
High School Paper Outs
Secret of State Police
Oct 31, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
High School Paper Outs Secret of State Police
Kentucky police used Hitler quotes in training new officers
- A high school newspaper in Kentucky reports that state police have relied on quotes from Adolf Hitler's
in training new officers, per the Daily Beast . According to the
—the student paper at duPont Manual High School in Louisville—Kentucky State Police have used a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
Democrat Wants New Leaders After Stock Ban Stalls
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.