Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Twitter Whistleblower Says
There Was Spy on Payroll
Sep 13, 2022 2:44 PM CDT
Twitter Whistleblower Says There Was Spy on Payroll
As shareholders approve Musk's April offer
- Twitter whistleblower Peter Zatko, the company's former security chief, told lawmakers Tuesday that the platform is extremely vulnerable to being exploited by foreign agents—and said he was told while working at Twitter that there was at least one Chinese spy on the company payroll. Zatko, a famous hacker...
Musk Can Use
Sep 7, 2022 1:08 PM CDT
Musk Can Use Whistleblower's Twitter Claims
But he doesn't get the delay he asked for
It's one point to Twitter and one to Elon Musk, with Chancellor Kathaleen McCormick on Wednesday ruling that Musk cannot delay the trial's start by four weeks as he requested. "I am convinced that even four weeks’ delay would risk further harm to Twitter too great...
A Different 'Liz Truss' Is
Having a Busy Week on Twitter
Sep 6, 2022 6:09 PM CDT
A Different 'Liz Truss' Is Having a Busy Week on Twitter
Liz Trussell jokes about congratulations from world leaders
- Tuesday was a big day for Liz Truss, who became Britain's new prime minister —and it was another busy day on Twitter for a woman named Liz Trussell, who has had the @LizTruss handle on Twitter since 2009. Trussell was tagged in numerous posts from Truss supporters—and...
Twitter Bows to Long-Sought
Request: an Edit Button
Sep 1, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Twitter Bows to Long-Sought Request: an Edit Button
But it will only be available to subscribers upon wider launch
- It's a major move for Twitter: The platform is finally caving to long-standing pleas from users and adding an edit button. As the
New York Times
snarks, it "has only been about 15 years, nine months, and 22 days since they started asking for that ability." Most...
Whistleblower: Twitter Has
'Egregious' Security Gaps
Aug 23, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
Whistleblower: Twitter Has 'Egregious' Security Gaps
Peiter 'Mudge' Zatko, former security chief for the social media platform, has filed a complaint
- Elon Musk has been trying to wriggle out of his $44 billion deal to buy Twitter, and two new reports from CNN and the
may help out the richest man in the world in those endeavors. Both outlets have seen a complaint filed by whistleblower Peiter Zatko, Twitter'...
GOP Tweet Saying
to Shoot US Agents
Brings Twitter Ban
Aug 20, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
GOP Tweet Saying to Shoot US Agents Brings Twitter Ban
Republican in Florida statehouse race suggests threat was taken out of context, though he stands by it
- US officials, including the FBI director, have decried an increase in threats to federal agents. There have been attempts to carry out such threats , as well. Another one was posted Thursday on Twitter, saying: "Under my plan, all Floridians will be able to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF, and all...
Bot Researcher Doubts
Elon Musk's Claims
Aug 19, 2022 8:55 AM CDT
Bot Researcher Doubts Elon Musk's Claims
Tool his team used in Twitter lawsuit flagged Musk himself as a bot
- The trial over Elon Musk's attempt to back out of his deal to buy Twitter begins on Oct. 17, and the case will center on the "bot or not" question. Musk argues that Twitter has massively understated the proportion of fake or spam accounts on the platform and...
Saudi Woman Sentenced to
34 Years Over Twitter Use
Aug 17, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
Saudi Woman Sentenced to 34 Years Over Twitter Use
Salma al-Shehab retweeted posts from activists
- In December 2020, Salma al-Shehab took a break from her studies at a university in England and returned to Saudi Arabia. She was arrested in connection with her use of Twitter and sentenced to three years in prison, which an appeals court has now increased to 34 years, to be...
'You Are Next:'
Aug 15, 2022 7:36 AM CDT
'You Are Next:' Cops Investigate Threat to JK Rowling
Author receives death threat after expressing support for Salman Rushdie online
author JK Rowling expressed support online for Salman Rushdie after he was stabbed —and received a death threat for her trouble. Now police in Scotland are investigating, reports the Hollywood Reporter . On Friday, Rowling tweeted , "Feeling very sick right now. Let him be ok" upon hearing...
Ex-Twitter Employee Convicted
of Spying for Saudi Arabia
Aug 10, 2022 11:43 AM CDT
Ex-Twitter Employee Convicted of Spying for Saudi Arabia
Prosecutors said Ahmad Abouammo was paid to look up info on kingdom's critics
- A former Twitter employee has been convicted of failing to register as an agent for Saudi Arabia and other charges after accessing private data on users critical of the kingdom’s government in a spy case that spanned from Silicon Valley to the Middle East. Ahmad Abouammo, a US citizen...
What He Said
Aug 10, 2022 8:37 AM CDT
Musk Does What He Said He Wouldn't
Billionaire sells $6.9B in Tesla stock in case his $44B purchase of Twitter goes through
- Elon Musk has reneged on his vow not to sell more Tesla stock. The billionaire just sold $6.9 billion in stock in the company ahead of a court battle that could force him to follow through on his earlier offer to buy Twitter. He sold 7.92 million shares...
After Twitter Sues Musk,
He Sues Them Back
Aug 5, 2022 10:58 AM CDT
After Twitter Sues Musk, He Sues Them Back
Would-be buyer says his team was misled about user numbers
- Elon Musk accuses Twitter of fraud in a countersuit over his aborted $44 billion deal for the social media company, which he says held back necessary information and misled his team about its true user base, according to reports ahead of its public release. The
reports that the...
Judge Rules on Making
Musk's Twitter Suit Public
Aug 4, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Judge Rules on Making Musk's Twitter Suit Public
Twitter lawyers say they need time to review countersuit for sensitive information
: Elon Musk’s answer to Twitter’s lawsuit over his attempt to back out of a $44 billion deal to buy the social media company will be made public by Friday evening at the latest, a judge ruled Wednesday. Attorneys for Musk wanted to file a public version of...
In Musk-Twitter War, First
Legal Battle Goes to Twitter
Jul 19, 2022 12:43 PM CDT
In Musk-Twitter War, First Legal Battle Goes to Twitter
Judge shoots down Musk's request to delay trial until next year
- Elon Musk lost a fight to delay Twitter’s lawsuit against him as a Delaware judge on Tuesday set an October trial, citing the "cloud of uncertainty" over the social media company after the billionaire backed out of a deal to buy it, per the AP . "Delay threatens...
Constance Wu: I Tried to Kill
Myself After Twitter Backlash
Jul 15, 2022 6:40 AM CDT
Constance Wu: I Tried to Kill Myself After Twitter Backlash
'I started feeling like I didn’t even deserve to live anymore'
Crazy Rich Asians
star Constance Wu returned to Twitter Thursday with a heartfelt post explaining why she's been away from social media for three years. Wu said she took a break from social media—and her Hollywood career—to focus on her mental health after the backlash...
The 'Major Outage'
on Twitter Is Over
Jul 14, 2022 8:43 AM CDT
The 'Major Outage' on Twitter Is Over
Social media site went down for about an hour on Thursday morning
Relax, people—Twitter is back. The social media platform went down for about an hour Thursday morning, but it seemed to have returned for most people by about 9am ET, reports CNBC . The outage affected the entire US, especially in larger cities like New York and Los Angeles, as...
Twitter Files Sharply Worded
Lawsuit Against Musk
Jul 12, 2022 6:52 PM CDT
Twitter Files Sharply Worded Lawsuit Against Musk
'Musk refuses to honor his obligations ... because the deal he signed no longer serves his personal interests'
- Twitter sued Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Tuesday to force him to complete the $44 billion acquisition of the social media company. Musk and Twitter have been bracing for a legal fight since the billionaire said Friday he was backing off of his April agreement to buy the company. Twitter’...
Twitter Stock Dives 11.4%
Jul 11, 2022 3:47 PM CDT
Twitter Stock Dives 11.4%
Tech stocks were among the weakest on a bad day for Wall St.
- Wall Street indexes resumed falling on Monday, ahead of a busy week with updates scheduled for how bad inflation is and how corporate profits are being affected. The S&P 500 fell 44.95 points, or 1.2%, to 3,854.43. The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 164.31...
One Clause in Contract
May Be Bad News for Musk
Jul 11, 2022 11:31 AM CDT
One Clause in Contract May Be Bad News for Musk
'Specific performance' term could be used to force him into buyout deal
- As Elon Musk and Twitter head toward a high-stakes court battle over his decision to bail on the buyout deal, stories have begun assessing the odds of which side might prevail. Generally, most see Twitter with the stronger hand, and a big reason is because the deal includes a "...
Twitter Lawyers Up,
and Musk Issues a Taunt
Jul 11, 2022 6:38 AM CDT
Twitter Lawyers Up, and Musk Issues a Taunt
Company hires heavyweight firm as Tesla CEO tweets a laughing meme
- The Twitter/Elon Musk soap opera appears to be headed toward a heavyweight battle in a Delaware court. Some new developments:
Bloomberg reports that Twitter hired "merger law heavyweight" Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz and is expected to file suit this week. Twitter will try to force Musk
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.