Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
6-Year-Old Girl Sues
Egypt's Ministry of
Oct 11, 2021 3:42 AM CDT
6-Year-Old Girl Sues Egypt's Ministry of Education, Wins
She was upset she wasn't advanced to 2nd grade
- A 6-year-old girl in Egypt, upset when she wasn't advanced to second grade, sued over the issue—and won, Egypt Today reports. The girl completed first grade (and ranked first in her class), then moved to a different village. Her new school told her she was too young for...
Sep 14, 2021 12:18 PM CDT
Egypt Opens King Djoser's Southern Tomb
It's been undergoing restoration work since 2006
- Egypt on Tuesday opened to the public an ancient tomb structure belonging to the cemetery complex of King Djoser, a pharaoh who lived more than 4,500 years ago, following extensive restorations of the site. The structure—known as the Southern Tomb—is largely underground and includes a labyrinth of...
Let's Hope Ever Given Doesn't
Get Stuck on Its Way Out
Jul 7, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
Let's Hope Ever Given Doesn't Get Stuck on Its Way Out
Container ship that blocked Suez Canal is finally setting sail after owners finalize deal with Egypt
- It's not clear how much of the $550 million Egypt demanded it actually got, but it was enough to spring a container ship. The Ever Given has begun its departure from the Suez Canal, where just a few months ago it created an international headache when it got stuck...
Owners Cut Deal With Egypt
to Get Ever Given Back
Jul 5, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Owners Cut Deal With Egypt to Get Ever Given Back
Suez Canal Authority will receive compensation, including a tugboat
- More than three months after running aground in the Suez Canal, the Ever Given is about to be on its way again. The owners and insurers of the container ship have reached an agreement with Egypt on compensation for the damages, the BBC reports. The blockage backed up traffic in...
Scan Reveals Big Surprise:
a Pregnant Mummy
Apr 29, 2021 2:42 PM CDT
Scan Reveals Big Surprise: a Pregnant Mummy
It might be a first; researchers were expecting to find a male Egyptian priest
- When researchers from the Warsaw Mummy Project in Poland began examining an Egyptian mummy with X-ray scans, they expected to be looking at a male priest. Instead, the scans revealed the mummified person was actually a woman about 7 months pregnant, reports the
. It's more than a small...
Tombs Unearthed in Egypt
Could Be Up to 8K Years Old
Apr 27, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Tombs Unearthed in Egypt Could Be Up to 8K Years Old
110 ancient tombs were found at Nile Delta site
- Egyptian archeologists have unearthed 110 burial tombs at an ancient site in a Nile Delta province, the country's Tourism and Antiquities Ministry said Tuesday. The graves, some of which have human remains inside, were found at the Koum el-Khulgan archeological site in Dakahlia province around 93 miles northeast of...
Egypt Confiscates Ever Given
in Dispute Over Compensation
Apr 13, 2021 3:15 PM CDT
Egypt Confiscates Ever Given in Dispute Over Compensation
Ship damaged Suez Canal, cost other companies, and added pollution
- The ship that shut down the Suez Canal last month when it ran aground has been taken over by Egypt in a battle over compensation. Egypt wants about $1 billion from the ship's Japanese owners and insurers to cover damage the Ever Given did to the canal, the cost...
A 'Mind-Blowing' Find:
Egypt's 'Lost Golden City'
Apr 9, 2021 8:37 AM CDT
A 'Mind-Blowing' Find: Egypt's 'Lost Golden City'
Archaeologists tease 'untouched tombs filled with treasures' in Luxor
- Big news out of Egypt, where a 3,000-year-old lost city has reportedly been found buried under the sand untouched. The "lost golden city of Luxor," as Egyptologist Zahi Hawass dubs it, was uncovered in September and dates to the reign of Tutankhamun's grandfather, Amenhotep III, who...
The Ever Given Saga
Isn't Over Quite Yet
Apr 9, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
The Ever Given Saga Isn't Over Quite Yet
Egypt won't release container ship until probe is done, 'compensation is paid'
- Rumors started floating again this week that the beleaguered Ever Given, the container ship stuck in the Suez Canal last month for six days, had become restuck. That's not true , but the 1,300-foot ship isn't exactly free, either: The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Egypt won't...
Egypt Just Moved the
Remains of 22 Royal Mummies
Apr 4, 2021 5:31 AM CDT
Egypt Just Moved the Remains of 22 Royal Mummies
They'll go on display at the new National Museum of Egyptian Civilization
- They've been dead for centuries, but on Saturday they were on the move. NPR reports that 22 ancient Egyptian royal mummies were paraded from the nearly 120-year-old Egyptian Museum in Tahrir Square to the new National Museum of Egyptian Civilization. The Pharaohs' Golden Parade, as the spectacle was called,...
Apr 1, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
Captain Stonewalls Canal Investigation
Egypt says it's out $1B, and companies could try to collect compensation from Ever Given
- The Ever Given is free, but it's not going anywhere. The Suez Canal Authority said the captain of the cargo ship, which was stuck for six days before being freed Monday, hasn't turned over the ship's black box or documents needed for the investigation, despite several requests....
That Stuck Ship Is a Mess,
and There's No End in Sight
Mar 26, 2021 11:18 AM CDT
That Stuck Ship Is a Mess, and There's No End in Sight
Removing load from cargo ship wedged across Suez Canal could be risky
- One of the world's biggest cargo ships is blocking one of the world's busiest waterways—and nobody seems sure if when it can be shifted. The Ever Given has been wedged across the canal since Tuesday and a traffic jam of more than 150 ships has built up,...
Crash Kills 32 After Train's
Emergency Brake Triggered
Mar 26, 2021 9:26 AM CDT
Crash Kills 32 After Train's Emergency Brake Triggered
At least 66 were injured in Egypt crash
- Two trains collided on Friday in southern Egypt, apparently after someone activated the emergency brakes, killing at least 32 people and leaving at least 66 injured, Egyptian authorities said. Egypt’s Railway Authorities said the accident happened when someone activated the emergency brakes of a passenger train that was headed...
Unearthed in Egypt
Feb 3, 2021 5:27 PM CST
Golden-Tongued Mummy Unearthed in Egypt
Archaeologists are searching for the tomb of Cleopatra
- Archaeologists working in northern Egypt have unearthed several mummies that date back some 2,000 years, the BBC reports. Among the human remains discovered in 16 burial chambers on the outskirts of Alexandria was a skull in which had been placed a tongue crafted from gold foil, per the
Pastry Chef Arrested
Over Risque Cupcakes
Jan 21, 2021 12:34 PM CST
Pastry Chef Arrested Over Risque Cupcakes
Woman in Egypt in hot water after images go viral
- A female pastry chef has been arrested in Egypt for the crime of selling cupcakes decorated with penises, vaginas, and butts. The Ministry of Youth and Sports launched an investigation after photos of women eating the cupcakes at a birthday party at a Cairo sports club went viral. The chef,...
Coffins Found in Egypt Likely
Belong to Thousand-Year Cult
Jan 20, 2021 1:01 PM CST
Coffins Found in Egypt Likely Belong to Thousand-Year Cult
King Teti's rule began in 2323 BC; the remains date to a much later period
- A decade of archaeological work at a site near Egypt's Pyramid of Teti has paid off. Leading Egyptian archaeologist Zahi Hawass on Sunday announced that the temple of Queen Neit—wife of King Teti, whose rule began in 2323 BC—has been uncovered. The AP reports burial shafts measuring...
374 Feet Without
Taking a Breath
Nov 28, 2020 6:00 AM CST
She Dove 374 Feet Without Taking a Breath
For Alenka Artnik and freediving, 'it was love at first sight'
- Those watching the surface of the water were likely somewhat worried about Alenka Artnik, who was attempting to free dive to a depth no woman had before. But Tito Zappalá wasn't too concerned. Having taken an underwater scooter to depths of 200 feet, the safety diver watched Artnik ascend...
6 Americans Dead After
Black Hawk Crashes in Egypt
Nov 12, 2020 11:05 AM CST
6 Americans Dead After Black Hawk Crashes in Egypt
Helicopter went down during routine peacekeeping mission near the Red Sea: MFO
- Eight peacekeepers, including six Americans, were killed in a helicopter crash during a routine mission in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula, the international force that monitors the Israeli-Egyptian peace agreement said Thursday. A ninth peacekeeper, also American, was badly injured, per the AP . The Multinational Force and Observers said a French...
Snorkeling Adventure in Egypt
Turns Bloody for Boy, 12
Oct 28, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
Snorkeling Adventure in Egypt Turns Bloody for Boy, 12
Ukrainian tourist, guide each lost a limb in rare shark attack
- A 12-year-old Ukrainian tourist and his Egyptian guide have each lost a limb in a rare Red Sea shark attack. The boy was snorkeling with his mother and guide in Ras Mohammed National Park near the resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh on Sunday when a 6-foot-long oceanic whitetip shark attacked,...
Report: 2 Dead, Hundreds
Detained in Egyptian Protests
Oct 3, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
Report: 2 Dead, Hundreds Detained in Egyptian Protests
Rare demonstrations on economical grievances have erupted over the last few weeks
- Egyptian authorities have arrested hundreds of people in their effort to clamp down on a spate of small but exceptionally rare protests across the country, a global watchdog and human rights lawyers said Friday. Riot police forcibly dispersed the limited demonstrations over economic grievances that erupted across several impoverished, rural...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.