Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Food and Drug Administration
Stories 21 - 40 |
Dec 9, 2021 11:15 AM CST
FDA Approves Boosters for Some Teens
Specifically, those aged 16 and 17; CDC decision is pending
- The US is expanding COVID-19 boosters, ruling that 16- and 17-year-olds can get a third dose of Pfizer’s vaccine, per the AP . The US and many other nations already were urging adults to get booster shots to pump up immunity that can wane months after vaccination, calls that intensified...
FDA Wants FOI Request on
Vaccine to Wait—for 55 Years
Nov 19, 2021 3:35 PM CST
FDA Wants FOI Request on Vaccine to Wait—for 55 Years
Experts want to see information used in approving Pfizer's product
- The experts who have filed a Freedom of Information request to see government data on the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine might have to hand the issue down to the next generation—at least—of scientists and professors. The Food and Drug Administration has asked a judge to not force the documents'...
In Rare Move,
Nov 12, 2021 3:45 PM CST
In Rare Move, Ex-FDA Chief May Return to Post
Robert Califf ran the agency, which is handling COVID vaccines with an acting boss, under Obama
- President Biden on Friday chose Dr. Robert Califf, a former Food and Drug Administration commissioner and prominent medical researcher, to again lead the powerful regulatory agency. Califf's nomination comes after months of concern that the agency near the center of the government's COVID-19 response has lacked a permanent...
Kids as Young as 5
May Get Shots Next Week
Oct 29, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Kids as Young as 5 May Get Shots Next Week
FDA backs Pfizer shots for children, with final details to emerge next week
- The Food and Drug Administration on Friday paved the way for children ages 5 to 11 to get Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine. The FDA cleared kid-size doses—just a third of the amount given to teens and adults—for emergency use, and up to 28 million more American children could...
FDA Making a Big Shift
on Hearing Aids
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
FDA Making a Big Shift on Hearing Aids
Plan would make them available over the counter at a cheaper price
- Nearly five years after it was urged to make affordable hearing aids available over the counter, the FDA is taking a big step toward that goal. In a plan released Tuesday , the agency says it will create a new category of hearing aids that will be made available online and...
FDA to Study
Oct 15, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
FDA to Study Possible Moderna Side Effect
Decision will delay approval for 12- to 17-year-olds
- With several European nations rethinking their endorsements of giving the Moderna vaccine to young people, the FDA will study a potential side effect longer before deciding on approval. The issue is myocarditis, a rare inflammatory heart condition, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Finland, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway have called for...
FDA Panel Endorses
J&J Booster Shot
Oct 15, 2021 1:42 PM CDT
FDA Panel Endorses J&J Booster Shot
Advisers set no timeline but says shot should come at least 2 months after the first one
- A panel of US health advisers endorsed booster doses of Johnson & Johnson's single-shot COVID-19 vaccine Friday, saying they should be offered at least two months after immunization. J&J has asked the Food and Drug Administration for flexibility with its booster, the AP reports, arguing that the extra...
A Big First for FDA
Oct 13, 2021 2:19 AM CDT
A Big First for FDA on E-Cigarettes
Agency authorizes one to stay on the market
- For the first time, the Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday authorized an electronic cigarette, saying the vaping device from RJ Reynolds can help smokers cut back on conventional cigarettes. E-cigarettes have been sold in the US for more than a decade with minimal government oversight or research. Facing a...
Aug 23, 2021 7:55 PM CDT
FDA Decisions Near on E-Cigarettes
Agency has deadline next month for approving companies' product applications
- E-cigarette manufacturers soon will learn whether they're out of business, still in the market but facing new government controls, or back in in a big way. The companies were given a choice last year: pull their vaping products or seek Food and Drug Administration approval for them. More than...
Pfizer Vaccine Will Now Be
Marketed Under a New Name
Aug 23, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Pfizer Vaccine Will Now Be Marketed Under a New Name
After winning full FDA approval, company can now sell it as Comirnaty
- It's a big development on the COVID vaccine front: The FDA on Monday gave full approval to the Pfizer shots, reports the AP . The vaccine had previously been granted an emergency-use waiver, and winning full approval—it's the first vaccine to do so—could have wide-ranging implications.
There's Been a Date Shift for
FDA's Full OK on Pfizer Vax
Aug 21, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
There's Been a Date Shift for FDA's Full OK on Pfizer Vax
Labor Day was the initial target. Sources now say full approval could come as soon as Monday.
- Earlier this month, the Food and Drug Administration signaled that it hoped to offer full approval for Pfizer-BioNTech's coronavirus vaccine by Labor Day, an unofficial deadline that now looks like it's been expedited. A senior federal official tells CNN that such an FDA OK is "imminent,"...
FDA Authorizes 3rd COVID
Vaccine Dose for 3% of Adults
Aug 13, 2021 8:16 AM CDT
FDA Authorizes 3rd COVID Vaccine Dose for 3% of Adults
CDC to issue recommendation on the boosters for certain immunocompromised people
- A third COVID-19 vaccine dose has been authorized for certain immunocompromised Americans. The FDA on Thursday amended the emergency use authorizations for the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines to allow a third dose for "solid organ transplant recipients or those who are diagnosed with conditions that are considered to have...
FDA Speeds Up Plans to
Aug 6, 2021 1:47 PM CDT
FDA Speeds Up Plans to Help Immunocompromised
Agency said to be fast-tracking COVID booster shots for the most medically vulnerable
- Conversations within the FDA, CDC, and NIH have begun regarding COVID-19 booster shots, with the Biden administration indicating plans will pick up steam early next month to get that plan going for the general population. "The agencies are engaged in a science-based, rigorous process to consider whether or when...
of Alzheimer's Drug
to Be Reviewed
Jul 9, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
FDA Approval of Alzheimer's Drug to Be Reviewed
Agency chief fears damage to public confidence in process
- The acting head of the Food and Drug Administration wants the agency's inspector general to conduct an independent review of the agency's approval of a new drug to treat Alzheimer's. The approval process, which one outside adviser had called a "sham" as he resigned, has been...
Approval for Third Shot
Jul 9, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
Pfizer Wants Approval for Third Shot
Company agrees effectiveness of its vaccine is fading as Delta variant surges
- Seeing signs that the effectiveness of its vaccine is fading, Pfizer said Thursday it will ask for approval to distribute a third dose to help fight new coronavirus variants. The company plans to ask the Food and Drug Administration for emergency use authorization next month, CNN reports. Pfizer cited findings...
Jul 8, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
FDA Walks Back Broad Alzheimer's Drug Advice
After criticism, agency says label will limit candidates to those with mild symptoms
- After being widely criticized for approving the use of a new drug to treat all Alzheimer's patients, despite only limited evidence that it works, the Food and Drug Administration has stepped back from that decision. The agency announced its new instructions Thursday that say Aduhelm is intended only for...
Jun 30, 2021 6:35 AM CDT
New Alzheimer's Drug Spurs Big Concerns, an Investigation
2 House committees launch inquiry into approval, cost of Biogen's Aduhelm
- It was supposed to have been a "cause for celebration," but instead, it's become a "catastrophe in the making." That's Axios' recent take on Aduhelm , the costly new Alzheimer's drug that was approved by the Food and Drug Administration despite major reservations from...
Another Company to Ask FDA
to Approve Alzheimer's Drug
Jun 24, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Another Company to Ask FDA to Approve Alzheimer's Drug
Biogen just won approval for its treatment despite experts' dissent
- Eli Lilly is nearly ready to take another shot at getting approval for a possible Alzheimer's drug. The drugmaker said Thursday that it plans to submit its potential treatment donanemab to the Food and Drug Administration later this year. The announcement comes a few weeks after the FDA approved...
Cost of Alzheimer's Drug Could
Push Medicare to the Brink
Jun 11, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Cost of Alzheimer's Drug Could Push Medicare to the Brink
Biogen product would nearly double program's medication budget, though it might not work
- The Food and Drug Administration's approval of a new drug to treat Alzheimer's disease could have enormous implications not just for patients, but for Medicare—even pushing the program toward collapse. FDA approval historically has meant Medicare will cover the cost of the medication, but with Biogen's...
With Yet Another
Jun 11, 2021 6:37 AM CDT
Alzheimer Drug 'Debacle' Continues With Yet Another Resignation
Aaron S. Kesselheim is 3rd FDA adviser to resign after agency approves Aduhelm
- The "debacle" over an Alzheimer's drug recently approved by the Food and Drug Administration continues, or at least that's how the commotion is being described by a third adviser to the agency who's now quit over it. Mayo Clinic neurologist Dr. David Knopman and Washington University...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boy Dies After 'the Most Exciting Moment of His Life'
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Dances With Wolves Actor Arrested in Sex Cult Case
Baby Didn't Have Ticket for Flight. His Parents Left Him Behind
Prosecutors: Baldwin Was on His Phone During Gun Training
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.